General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water with Sharks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-14 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: Open Water with Sharks
alright, can someone set me straight on Ocean swims with regards to sharks, i have tri'ed for 8 years and i have never done an Ocean swim. i am absolutely a child of the "Jaws" generation and it freaks me out to even think about swimming in the ocean.... do the Ironman Series races have any divers out there protecting the swimmers?? how far can you see in the ocean water, would you see one coming?? is this an irrational fear?? i really want to IM in Florida and possible California (seems the water is colder in Cali-hence more sharks) what am i missing??
any positive thoughts would be appreciated......
thanks,

2007-06-14 7:17 AM
in reply to: #843734

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Open Water with Sharks
1) There has never been a shark attack during a tri anywhere.
2) When practicing OWS in areas known to be home to sharks, don't swim at dawn and dusk, don't swim if there are schools of baitfish around, etc. Learn about their habits.
3) Always do an OWS with a swim buddy that is a little bit slower than you!

btw, Florida is the shark bite capital of the world. Water temps don't have much to do with anything.
2007-06-14 7:33 AM

Veteran
There's a reason why I live in Colorado, besides being the slowest swimmer I also look like a flailing seal.

I think your chances of being attacked by a shark are about the same as being hit by lightning, and maybe even twice so follow the previous advice and swim with a partner and during the day, and don't take your clothes off, sharks attack those people first (it happened in Jaws).

Mike
2007-06-14 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh

I've heard they're attracted to yellow...don't know if that's true, but why chance it?

Don't swim with raw meat in your pockets...

2007-06-14 7:58 AM

User image

Elite

Too follow up on what Dave said...

While I haven't done the research, I'd guess that you're probably more likely to be in a car accident on the way to an open water swim than you are to be attacked by a shark if you follow the necessary precautions.

Along with his warnings:

- Avoid particularly murky water

- Don't wear shiny jewelery

- Don't swim with open wounds

I lived in Destin, Fl for a number of years and swam on the beaches regularly.  While there were a number of shark attacks during this time, using all the precautions you've heard I never had any problem.  The fact that I was swimming actually helped me once.  Since my face is in the water most of the time the one instance I saw a shark I seemed aware of it before it paid any attention to me (and I did one of the fastest half backstrokes/sidestrokes that you ever did see heading for shore while trying to keep my eye on it).

Here's a few stats for you to help ease you mind:

There are roughly 15-20 fatalities from shark attacks annually.

30-40 people die in that same time period skydiving.

Meanwhile, 75-85 people die annually from lightning strikes.

And more than 42,000 people are killed every year in traffic-related incidents.

If you think about it that way, you're probably actually safer in the water Cool

bts

2007-06-14 8:21 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

do the Ironman Series races have any divers out there protecting the swimmers??

No.

how far can you see in the ocean water, would you see one coming??

It doesn't matter. If you saw one coming, it's not like you could out run it.

is this an irrational fear??

Yes.

i really want to IM in Florida and possible California (seems the water is colder in Cali-hence more sharks) what am i missing??

From 1882-2006, there were 13 deaths from shark attacks in Florida, and 544 attacks. There were 7/92 in California. I have no idea what that means with respect to your question, maybe Florida swimmers are tastier.  But compare that to the 30,000,000 tourists a year in Florida... that means you have a 0.000014 % chance of being attacked by a shark.

any positive thoughts would be appreciated......

You positively will not need to worry about a shark attack during your tri. My only advice is to listen to something other than the Jaws theme on your IPod before the race.

Also... I watched a show the other night saying that sharks can tell how much nutrition a food source has just by taking one bite. Sharks love fat. That's why seals are such a good food source for them... lots of yummy blubber!!

Since you aspire to IMs, it is likely that you don't have a lot of body fat. So even if the shark did take a bite of you, it would probably just move on, since you don't have the fat content it needs. Heck, you might even be able to finish the swim afterwards.

Edited by newLeaf 2007-06-14 8:28 AM

2007-06-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #843840

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
man, learning a ton from you guys.... i know its an irrational fear, but sitting here in the middle of the midwest i only here about oceans when a shark attacks

all great advice, and newLeaf i was with you until:
"So even if the shark did take a bite of you, it would probably just move on, since you don't have the fat content it needs."

and i guess my thought on how far you can see in the water, is more just for comfort and settling myself down to relax and knock out the swim. i honeymooned in Maui and we went snorkeling and snuba diving, after a couple minutes i was ok because you could see like a 100 yards it seemed. plus there were a ton of people with us as well doing the same..... i think just the visibility helped me. your right, it wouldnt make a difference i am not going to outswim a shark. is the visibility pretty good in cali or florida??
thanks,
2007-06-14 8:46 AM

Master
Colorado

Nothing to fear out there:  

Seriously though, no one is more freaked out by sharks than me (I am convinced swim DNF's are really race director code for eaten by shark/lake monster) and I manage to get in the water every time.  A couple hundred/thousand people splashing around probably spooks anything that might be there.  Also, like said above, there has never been a reported shark attack during a tri...

2007-06-14 9:13 AM
in reply to: #843740

Champion
South Jersey

dck4shrt - 2007-06-14 8:17 AM 1) There has never been a shark attack during a tri anywhere. 

So that means the first one is just waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time, now .

You'll be fine! No worries . There are much scarier things in the sea anyway - like jellyfish and horseshoe crabs.

2007-06-14 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

I'm also afraid of sharks.  I know it's irrational but I can't seem to convince my brin of that when I'm in the ocean.  I live in Florida a little less than a mile from the beach so I don't have many choices when it comes to tris.  Lakes in Florida are even scarier than the ocean! 

Somehow I convinced myself to sign up for an ocean swim tri this year - and guess what - I made it!  The waves were so rought that day that I didn't have time to think about sharks - I was just worried about finishing the swim at all.  It also helped that a girl next to me was super afraid out there and kept grabbing onto the lifeguards surfboards.  I decided to try to help her out by telling her it would be OK and that kind of stuff.  It worked!  It kept my mind off things until the last turn.

Then again, this was a sprint tri.  I would be petrified to do an IM swim up in the gulf.    

2007-06-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: #843939

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
yea and with my luck, i will be the first triathlete gumbo.......

guess i should just bump my life insurance up before my first ocean swims, and maybe look at aflac in case like newLeaf says i'm not fatty enough for him....

also thanks for the pic stake...... i am going to assume you work with Photoshop daily.....

2007-06-14 9:33 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Triathletes/swimmers have been bitten.  There is a pro woman, can't remember who, that was bitten.  So yes, it happens.  But it is like hitting the lottery ...... chances are slim to none in most cases.

If you are really freaked out about it, then opt for IMCDA (lake swim), IMLP (lake swim) or IMKY (river swim).  All you have to worry about there is other swimmers making you drown as the field beats the crap out of each other .....

2007-06-14 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Not to stoke the fear, but there ARE folks with shark experiences during triathlons. Here's a story by Mark Montgomery about his experience in 1985 at the Daytona Triathlon:

It was 1985 at the Daytona beach triathlon. I was off the front in the swim by about 150 yds., and I kept getting hit on the feet by the swimmer behind me. I finally stopped to yell at the person, and no one was there. About 5 seconds later I got hit in the back with a heavy blow. I then realized that a shark was hitting me. My life did'nt flash before my eyes, but the fear of dying in the mouth of a shark petrefied me. I was still 500 yds from shore, and there was no lead boat or kayak. The shark came in for another attack, and I put my hands in front of me and got ready to punch it on the nose, and maybe gouge an eye if it took hold of me. At the last second it did a u-turn right in front of me, and that's when I knew what I had to do. I turned around and swam back into the main pack behind me. I figured that I would at least give this sucker a choice. There were about 4 or 5 swimmers in that group and I tucked right in the middle. They were wondering what the hell I was doing. They soon found out. Mike Garcia was the next to get hit, and then Wendy Ingrahm. As we were running up the beach Mike looked at me with eyes as big as silver dollars and screamed at me that he just got attacked by a hammerhead. I said, I know, why do you think I was swimming backwards. It was very scary, and kind of weird running towards the bikes. I had just escaped with my life, and all thought of the race had left my mind. I know Mike was feeling the same way, but soon we just got on the bikes and started riding. Later we were to find out that a fisherman had shot a 8 foot hammmerhead 2 days before the race in that exact area. The shark was just being territorial, as hammerheads are.

Although exceptionally rare, they still give me (an admitted landlubber) a healthy respect for ocean swimming.
2007-06-14 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great advice above. Here are a few more tips to lessen your chances of being attacked:

- Absolutely do not go swimming after slathering yourself in some of that delicious Arthur Bryant's beef brisket or BBQ sauce you can get in KC.

- Prior to entering the water, do not balance a beach ball on your nose or blow a series of horns on a rack, then clap your hands, dive in and chase small baitfish.

- Do not wear anything neon orange or green in the water. I don't know if it attracts sharks or not, but it didn't look good in the 80's and sure as heck doesn't now.

And the best advice I ever heard? Carry a small pen knife with you and always swim with a friend. If you encounter a shark, stab friend and swim like the dickens.

"You know the thiong about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah, you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and in spite of all the poundin' and hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces." -- Quint, "Jaws"

Hope that helps!
2007-06-14 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

Check out this Bull caught about a mile from the St. Ants swim.  (courtesy of Betsy)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=4430&photoid=36084

2007-06-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #844190

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
rbschlesinger - 2007-06-14 10:50 AM

Check out this Bull caught about a mile from the St. Ants swim.  (courtesy of Betsy)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=4430&photoid=36084

Most shark attackes are by bull sharks.

2007-06-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #844003

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
scoobysdad - 2007-06-14 9:43 AM

And the best advice I ever heard? Carry a small pen knife with you and always swim with a friend. If you encounter a shark, stab friend and swim like the dickens.

LOL

I almost lost my lunch there, thanks!
2007-06-14 11:53 AM

User image

Tallahassee
I lived in Florida my whole life until I moved to Denver a few weeks ago. Let me just say that I think its much more dangerous to ride down some of these mountains/hills out here on your bike than it is to swim in the ocean! With that said I understand where the fear comes from the ocean is huge you dont know whats down there and you are in their element not yours.
I have surfed probably 50 times a year for 15 years in New Smyrna Beach and the surrounding areas and I have seen a shark around me no more than 3-4 times. So out of 750 times of looking like a meal I saw a shark 3-4 and was attacked or bumped 0 times. Your odds for 1 or 2 ocean swims in a group of 1,000 other swimmers are pretty good to make it out unscathed.
2007-06-14 1:26 PM

User image

AZ
Well, on a positive note, maybe it will make you swim faster.
2007-06-14 3:53 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

LOL! I am a child of the Jaws era too. It's my all time fave book/movie in fact. Anyhow, along the lines of that story of the swimmer attacked, I can't imagine a shark trying to bite a huge pack of swimmers. In a sharks mind, it probably looks like a pack of porpoise (natural enemy) - at least we can hope.

Funny thing about OWS for me is that I let the shark irrational fear creep me out even in lakes! But then again, the Loch Ness Monster lives in a lake

Edited by BbMoozer 2007-06-14 3:53 PM
2007-06-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: #844922

User image

Elite
BbMoozer - 2007-06-14 2:53 PM

LOL! I am a child of the Jaws era too. It's my all time fave book/movie in fact. Anyhow, along the lines of that story of the swimmer attacked, I can't imagine a shark trying to bite a huge pack of swimmers. In a sharks mind, it probably looks like a pack of porpoise (natural enemy) - at least we can hope.

Funny thing about OWS for me is that I let the shark irrational fear creep me out even in lakes! But then again, the Loch Ness Monster lives in a lake

I actually get more paranoid in lakes... I can dismiss the possibility of shark attacks, but the movie Lake Placid has ruined me for serene morning swims on a peaceful lake.

bts

2007-06-14 5:04 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Well, I am not an Icthologist (Someone who studies sharks) but I did grow up in Southern California and spend a lot of time in the water surfing, sailing and swimming.

The experts suggest that at least here in Cal, when someone is bitten, it is usually by mistake, Humans are not the normal food for sharks.

A lot of folks survive shark attacks because the shark figures out that what it has just tasted is not it's normal food and spits it out. (We don't taste much like a Piniped I guess)

Sharks will frequently "Mouth" possible prey to determine if it is something it should be eating.

Surfers and swimmers in wetsuits are more prone to attacks mostly because we frequent areas where prey animals are and when wearing a wetsuit, we look a lot like prey. (But definitely do not have enough blubber to taste good)

Rocky bottoms, murky water and the presence of food (Like Seals) make an attack much more likely. Sandy bottoms and the presence of Dolphins almost guarantee safe passage. (Sharks do not like dolphins and will usually steer well clear of them)

Your much more likely to get mugged by a swimmer in a Tri than a shark.

OTOH: We are in "Their" habitat and when we school up in big shoals like we do in a race, it might just be appealing enough for one to take a bite.
2007-06-14 5:07 PM
in reply to: #844190

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
It is just a baby
2007-06-14 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Minnesota
I can understand the shark fear...but I have bigger problems that you probably haven't even thought about yet.  That's right...sal...salam...anders.  God, I am getting the willys just typing the word.  I mean, what if you were running along and all of a sudden there was a S. on the side of the road hiding under a log or rock.  What if he slithered his slimy black and yellow yicky body over to you and...omg...touched you with his slurpy slimy little tongue.  I am shaking just typing this.  Sharks will bite...I am OK with that.  They don't want to crawl up your pant leg and touch you with their open feet/hands and maybe even hide in your basement and creep up the stairs in the middle of the night and look at you while you sleep.  Feel safe in the water...I don't think S's swim.
2007-06-14 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I saw Jaws the first night it opened down the shore in New Jersey - it was June, and I was 13 or 14. Since then, I have NEVER gone over my head in the ocean - I will body surf, spend all day in the water, but every time I go above my head, I hear the Jaws music in my head!!

Having said that, my sister wants me to do the Beach Haven Tri in September. I am still thinking about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water with Sharks Rss Feed  

of 2