Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-01-02 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
so it is like -25C here, -35 with the windchill. So cold. Supposed to be a run but I think just an easy spin on the bike.

2009-01-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1882779

User image

Champion
MA
LeahDD - 2009-01-02 12:58 PM

All I can say is "It seemed like a good idea at the time."  The last time I rode my bike it was warm so all my cold weather biking clothes are in storage.  So I got myself ready to go this morning and Chuck says to me, "Is that all you're wearing?  You do know that it is 42F outside, don't you?"  Well, no, I didn't know that it was 42F outside.  I then put on a long sleeve shirt under the short sleeved one (no tights and no full-finger gloves) and figure I will warm up as I get going.  Wrong.  It was very foggy/damp and very cold and in the end I bailed and took the train with the bike into work.  So on a day when it would have taken me thirty minutes to drive to work, it took an hour and a half.  Plus, I didn't burn any calories to speak of and I can't claim the 2-1/3 miles downhill to the train station counts as a peach. 

Bummer.  I will get my warmer clothes out of storage tomorrow and try this again next week.

Leah

Good try and you'll get all the kinks worked out in a couple times. I'm impressed that even though it was 42 and suggested you were under dressed you added a layer and off you went. 

2009-01-02 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi there! I am excited, I did some stairmaster work this am, and lifted a few weights. I finally got a training plan posted for the next 13 weeks. Yippie! I may have to modify it, if the leg has a problem with all the running. In that case, I will use my elipitical. I am now posting my food intake, so that I can be held accountable.
2009-01-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1883141

User image

Champion
MA

ilucy2 - 2009-01-02 5:05 PM Hi there! I am excited, I did some stairmaster work this am, and lifted a few weights. I finally got a training plan posted for the next 13 weeks. Yippie! I may have to modify it, if the leg has a problem with all the running. In that case, I will use my elipitical. I am now posting my food intake, so that I can be held accountable.

Awesome..making a plan is huge as it makes each day so much easier just do what is on the plan.

Logging nutrition takes awhile at first but gets faster and faster.

Nice way to start off 2009!

2009-01-02 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1882779

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
LeahDD - 2009-01-02 11:58 AM

All I can say is "It seemed like a good idea at the time."  The last time I rode my bike it was warm so all my cold weather biking clothes are in storage.  So I got myself ready to go this morning and Chuck says to me, "Is that all you're wearing?  You do know that it is 42F outside, don't you?"  Well, no, I didn't know that it was 42F outside.  I then put on a long sleeve shirt under the short sleeved one (no tights and no full-finger gloves) and figure I will warm up as I get going.  Wrong.  It was very foggy/damp and very cold and in the end I bailed and took the train with the bike into work.  So on a day when it would have taken me thirty minutes to drive to work, it took an hour and a half.  Plus, I didn't burn any calories to speak of and I can't claim the 2-1/3 miles downhill to the train station counts as a peach. 

Bummer.  I will get my warmer clothes out of storage tomorrow and try this again next week.

Leah

Funny how we could all say "it seemed like a good idea at the time" about things   I can handle a cold run but not ride, I feel the wind right through me (such a wimp, go ahead and gang up on the southern)

Edited by QueenZipp 2009-01-02 5:29 PM
2009-01-02 5:50 PM

User image

Texas: Between Dallas & Fort Worth
Yogaed today.  Thought about going in the pool, but I was talked out of it by the lure of a cheeseburger and a movie.  It's my "off" day so I don't feel that bad.  Going out to listen to a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band tonight.  I'll try to cut back on the beer so I won't have that + the cheeseburger to work off tomorrow on my run.

2009-01-02 8:30 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hi all! I am the walking dead after my 2 nite shifts. I really wanted to run, but it is minus stupid out there and my lungs are a mess as it is (so much for crap points eh Darren?). I settled for an hour on the drainer. I LOVE riding on the drainer now....yeah I know I am a total freak!
2009-01-02 8:39 PM

User image

Champion
MA
3 trips to the Y day; Zumba with Emily, ran while Emily, Shasha, Brian and Kevin did other stuff; later I went swimming with Shasha, Libby, & Libby's friend.
2009-01-02 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Hi everyone -

Thank you so much to Queen and Kathy for letting me into the group. I asked to be on a waiting list in case it opened up again, so it was a nice surprise to be let in right away. I really do appreciate it. As I told Kathy I tried joining one in the last round but it died out really quickly and yours here really spoke to me. It's nice to meet everyone!

NAME: Idealmuse aka Debb

STORY: Well like some others I got to Triathlons by way if weight loss. I found myself just maxing out over 300lbs a year and a half ago after struggling with weight my entire adult life (I'm 35) After losing about 70lbs (about halfway to goal) I decided Triathlon would be a good motivator to keep me going. It seemed quite impossible coming from where I did but I decided to set my goal really high and sign up for the Chicago Tri (Olympic Distance) I knew it was a lot to bite off, but I was serious and this would keep me on track.

I came to my senses a bit and also signed up for the Danskin Sprint which was a month earlier then the Chicago Tri. Just to make sure I could handle the distance. Anyway... long story short I got down to 186 from 302 by Aug. I did well in both tris for a total beginner.

I started to relax after that last Tri... my work was taking up all my time this fall and I managed to gain part of my weight back so now I'm playing rewind on both weight and exercise I'm hanging around 226 right now which is much better then 300 but feels pretty crummy next to how I was feeling this summer. Ironically i'm just a tiny bit lighter then when I started learning to run last January.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive guy. Just us and some cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I slacked off and didn't train more then a handful of days this fall. Right now I'm trying to come up with a Base training plan and monitoring my progress to see how far I backslid. Right now until I come up with something formal and decide which races I'm training for I'm just going to alternate bike and run days. I need to find a formal plan though.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2008 Accenture Chicago Tri (Oly) and Danskin in WI (Sprint)

2009 RACES: My thought was a HIM... but right now I'm trying to determine if that's just too much since I didn't keep up with base training. If I do one it will likely be either Spirit of Racine in WI or Steelhead in MI. If 1/2 IM isn't in my cards then I might just repeat last years events and maybe throw in a half mary. I'd REALLY like to still shoot for the HIM though. Am I crazy?

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose 75lbs. This is about half of what I needed to lose originally. Food is the rough spot with me so I need to work on keeping within calories. I basically eat similar to South Beach when I'm behaving. I'm basically just a calorie counter though. Sugar and carbs are weak points of mine and will always be a struggle.

Anyway sorry if it was long. Lots of back story there.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-01-02 10:37 PM
2009-01-03 7:27 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Welcome Debb,

Glad to see goals out there and that you'e working on a plan. 

2009-01-03 10:09 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to a sunny weekend here- swimming (inside this time!) and strength today and a long run tomorrow. My plan is to go for 8 miles- my longest run in about 10 months-I am excited to do it!

Welcome Debb! I think a bunch of us are considering a Danskin race this year- it will be fun to compare notes and courses.

Have a great day everyone!

2009-01-03 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy days are here again!! I am on my way to purchase new shoes. YIPPIE! Then we are going to triple play amusment park for daughter's b-day. Laser tag, and rock climbing here we come! Oh yea, and arcade games. My plan is to get home in time for a little jog with the new dukes, but they may have to wait until morning.
2009-01-03 10:59 AM

User image

Beantown

Hi Gang! after 90min of hot yoga yesterday my shoulders are SORE but i made it thru 800yds in the pool & 4 miles on the t-mill.... ive got a nice pace going and i like it!!

Welcome Debb!! You've got some great goals!!  I'll be going my first Oly in June and can't even THINK about a HIM!!  What I am thinking about is my trip to Chicago this weekend!!! are you in the city??  My bf is going for 2 weeks for a conference and i'm scooting out to stay with him at the W (ooo la la )

HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE!!

2009-01-03 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Debb/Kathleen... I'm considering the Danskin race in New England this year.  I really enjoy the women's only 10k I've done for the past few years, so I'd really like to do an all women's tri.  It's between Danskin or Title 9... or both, of course   I can't wait until schedules are set and registrations are open so I can sign up and make my races official!  Folks who've done Danskin - how did you like it?

Psyched you'll get new shoes finally, Kendra!

Speaking of shoes-- I'm an idiot when it comes to the bike.  I don't know anything about cycling form or gear... I'm just on my commuter bike (big wheels, knobby treads, upright positioning) on the trainer.  I won't be getting a new bike too soon, but want to at least invest in shoes but don't know the first thing about cleats or bike shoes or where to begin!  Any help on figuring out the basics would be highly appreciated!

2009-01-03 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1884138

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
running4beer - 2009-01-03 9:17 AM

Debb/Kathleen... I'm considering the Danskin race in New England this year. I really enjoy the women's only 10k I've done for the past few years, so I'd really like to do an all women's tri. It's between Danskin or Title 9... or both, of course I can't wait until schedules are set and registrations are open so I can sign up and make my races official! Folks who've done Danskin - how did you like it?

Speaking of shoes-- I'm an idiot when it comes to the bike. I don't know anything about cycling form or gear... I'm just on my commuter bike (big wheels, knobby treads, upright positioning) on the trainer. I won't be getting a new bike too soon, but want to at least invest in shoes but don't know the first thing about cleats or bike shoes or where to begin! Any help on figuring out the basics would be highly appreciated!

I did the Danskin sprint here in Southern California in 2007 and it was nice supportive, well-run race.  Since that is what they aim to be, I would imagine that the ones in other places would offer a similar experience.  In 2007 the race was held at Bonelli Park (lake swim) where there are about six or seven tris during the year.  In 2008 Danskin moved their  race to California Adventure, a theme park, and the distances were really short, even for sprint distance standards.  I mean, so short it isn't worth getting your hair wet.  I didn't do it because I was out of town, but not sure I would have done it anyway.  So, I guess there is no real consistency about the Danskin race in terms of length or location.  I don't know where 2009 will be or how long or whatever.

As for bicycling stuff, I just get whatever my bike guy tells me to get - in terms of clip-in shoes and whatever.  I am hoping he will let me get aerobars this year.  He is a little bit of a Nazi and won't sell you something he doesn't think you should have.  Not the best marketing strategy, but it does cause me to trust him.   

Got a 7.8 "run" in.  Not strong and I ended up doing a lot of walking. but at least I got in the distance.  And now I am off to a CrossFit Foundation class.  Have a good day everyone.

Leah 

2009-01-03 11:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
running4beer - 2009-01-03 11:17 AM

Debb/Kathleen... I'm considering the Danskin race in New England this year.  I really enjoy the women's only 10k I've done for the past few years, so I'd really like to do an all women's tri.  It's between Danskin or Title 9... or both, of course   I can't wait until schedules are set and registrations are open so I can sign up and make my races official!  Folks who've done Danskin - how did you like it?

Speaking of shoes-- I'm an idiot when it comes to the bike.  I don't know anything about cycling form or gear... I'm just on my commuter bike (big wheels, knobby treads, upright positioning) on the trainer.  I won't be getting a new bike too soon, but want to at least invest in shoes but don't know the first thing about cleats or bike shoes or where to begin!  Any help on figuring out the basics would be highly appreciated!

Bike shoes are shaped to the pedal you want.  There ae a gazillion styles of pedals and you have to pick those out first--then find out which shoe style will work with that pedal.  It can be overwhelming.

When my husband surprised me with the tri bike he snuck my road bike shoes to the car.  No pedals to fit my road bike shoes at that store.  So it was off to look at pedals, discussing the pros and cons of various styles then finding out which shoe worked.  I  liked the shoe right away, it was comfortable.

Spend time talking to the guys in the shop, let them know what your intention is so you cn get something that will work well for training and building into racing.  Most bike shop folks will spend time with you if you go in at a less busy time and explain what you want.  If they don't take time with you find another shop, it isn't worth spending your money in places that can't take a few minutes to answer a basic question.

2009-01-03 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
MA
running4beer - 2009-01-03 12:17 PM

I have friends that have done both the Title 9 and Danskin which will be called Trek this year, and the size of the race is hugely different. Danskin/Trek is huge and takes more time for race, parking, setting up transition and the whole event. My friends liked Title 9 more as it is about 25% of the racers and the vibe and quality of the event they enjoyed better.

Bike shoes/cleats...there are two main ways to go road or mtb shoes. Big difference road cleats stick out off the bottom of your shoes so they are bit harder to walk in but the interface between pedal and shoe is bigger so power transfter is bigger.

MTB pedals and shoes: Shoes are easier to walk in and the cleats are smalller and it is easier to clip in and out.

I have both and used my road ones to race tris, bike TT, road riding and my MTB when I race cyclocross or ride in the winter as I have winter MTB shoes/boots that are insulated and warmer.

Besides the two types there are different brands. I like Shimano pedals for both types and the road ones are nice as they allow for float but not to much. Float is the amount of free movement your feet have while attached to pedals. Some other brands have very little and some have a lot of float. Which can be an issue if you have knee issues with either to much or to little float.

Great place to buy them is www.probikekit.com
Pedals, cassettes, chains are cheaper here than anywhere with free shipping.

I'd suggest going to your local bike shop, try on shoes, and ask opinions about pedals. If you are going to only ride MTB may be strange to have road pedals on it, but if you going to move to road or tri bike soon buying one pedal system I'd go road so you can transfer them unless you want to end up buying two different pedals and two different shoes.

Some bike shops have a big selection of last years shoes much cheaper....Belmont Wheelworks has a lot of sale shoes.

2009-01-03 12:04 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I know Cat has been after me about this one:  I finally set up an appointment with the bike shop to dial in the fit for my BLUE.  I don' think they'll adjust much but since I didn't go in for fitting during the build I need to check things out with them.
2009-01-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1884191

User image

Champion
Sydney

QueenZipp - 2009-01-04 5:04 AM I know Cat has been after me about this one:  I finally set up an appointment with the bike shop to dial in the fit for my BLUE.  I don' think they'll adjust much but since I didn't go in for fitting during the build I need to check things out with them.

Hooray Judi...a good fit that has your body/legs postioned corectly can actually give you free speed (depending on what changes you need to make of course) so there is some extra incentive for you!!!

2009-01-03 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1884469

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kaqphin - 2009-01-03 4:51 PM

QueenZipp - 2009-01-04 5:04 AM I know Cat has been after me about this one:  I finally set up an appointment with the bike shop to dial in the fit for my BLUE.  I don' think they'll adjust much but since I didn't go in for fitting during the build I need to check things out with them.

Hooray Judi...a good fit that has your body/legs postioned corectly can actually give you free speed (depending on what changes you need to make of course) so there is some extra incentive for you!!!

That's what I need to kick Jen and Kristen's butts this summer
2009-01-03 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I just recently got new bike shoes and I love them...its just like buying new normak shoes..try them on, check they fit and arent going to rub in any weird areas...arent too wide or too narrow etc... work out your price range and then try a couple of different ones to see whats most comfortable...

Cleats/pedals are then the next choice...its really a matter of individual preference...I ride Look keos and have the red cleats as they have the most float which works best for me and my knee...other people find a lot of float actually causes aggravation so like saddles it is trial and error a little but I  originally had SPDs as that was what my bike came with and stuck with them faithfully for about 3 years before someone suggested to me I could try something else! So..while I prefer my current choice the originals worked just great too!

If you do get cleats and pedals (whatever type you chose) then you need to go somewhere quiet and safe to practice starting and stopping/clipping in and out with them. It can seem a bit tricky at first...I  mentally use a check list whe stopping...slow right down, unclip left foot (thats the foot I unclip on you - you will find you naturally stop on one side) and then njust as the bike stops step down....it takes some practice but you basically dont want to put your foot down until the moment you stop as otherwise you might slide a little...no big deal!!!

Its just practice! Nothing to worry about really

2009-01-03 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1884473

User image

Champion
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2009-01-04 9:56 AM
kaqphin - 2009-01-03 4:51 PM

That's what I need to kick Jen and Kristen's butts this summer

oh yes! I thought you would like that benefit...Im going to call the bike shop tomorrow morning and see if I can go in for a proper fit this week...my right hand keeps going numb and the initial adjustment cycle guy at work made has been great but he thought there was a bit more required...so I will go see the guys...possibly with Rocky Road as a bribe

2009-01-03 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hi everyone,

Sounds like everyone is getting a good start to the new year, I think that is great. Let's keep it up!
2009-01-03 7:42 PM

User image

Beantown

i don't know a thing about shoes or clips - i have a big fat pair that must be MTB because the clip is recessed.... someday i'll buy new ones but i'm out of CASH!!!  I did get areobars from my boy - can't wait to get those babies on!!

What i do know is i love beer and specifically Harpoon Beer!! So for you local gals, Mina(Running4Beer) and I going to create a team for a Time Trial here in Boston - we can fit in one or two more cool chicks that want to be part of Team Turtles:

Here's the info:

Harpoon and FastSplits Multisport have teamed up to create an exciting ITT, right here at the Harpoon Brewery in Boston. Men, women and teams are welcome to race in heats running on the hour from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. 16 CompuTrainers will be arranged on the brewery floor for a scene set for intense competition and fun! The field is limited.

How to Register
The $30 registration fee includes 2 of your favorite Harpoon Beers and the race of your life on a 15K course. Register now and get more information at
http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/itt.

Post-Race
The Harpoon ITT celebrates the intensity of indoor cycling and the camaraderie of a post-race beer.

We really hope you can join us. If you've never raced, this is a good opportunity to see what it's like. If you are a bike racer it will be an excellent indicator of your winter fitness level. Based on registration, we will place participants in heats with racers of similar abilities. All you have to do is get in shape over the next 5 weeks and bring your bike. We'll take care of the rest! Cold beer is waiting for you at the finish.

and here's our inspiration:

I've never done a TT and this sounds like a great way to start!!  Let us know if you want to join or let us know if you're the competition

2009-01-03 8:16 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Lisa,

That looks like a lot of fun.  Almost makes me want to go north again (NOT---I hate snow and cold)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71