BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-29 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3256949

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3266990

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-29 4:50 PM Ok shoes. I have used the specialized trivents for years, but this year I switched to the specialized S-works road shoe. I LOVE this shoe and will continue to use it. It uses a Boa system instead of Velcro straps. Very comfortable, very light.

Ok so for someone coming from mountain bike cleats, what would you recommend in terms of road cleats?  I would like to be able to clip in on both sides though I really don't know how hard it would be with one side as I have never tried them.  Do people think that a larger platform is more comfortable?  Do you get more power when pedaling?  I hate to invest in something and then not find it worth it. 
2010-12-29 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3266967

2010-12-29 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3266997

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-29 4:53 PM So we've covered cassettes, shoes, pedals, saddles and some gearing issues. Are there any areas here we glossed over too quickly where we should talk more?

Yes, shoes and cleats please.  Road cleats are foriegn to me. I don't even know where to start.
I also see some peoples road cleats really torn up from running in them. One of the reasons I like my shoes.

Edited by Kath2163 2010-12-29 6:00 PM
2010-12-29 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3267003

2010-12-29 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3267008

2010-12-29 6:17 PM

2010-12-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3267008

Master
...at home in The ATL
Kath2163 - 2010-12-29 6:59 PM
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-29 4:53 PM So we've covered cassettes, shoes, pedals, saddles and some gearing issues. Are there any areas here we glossed over too quickly where we should talk more?

Yes, shoes and cleats please.  Road cleats are foriegn to me. I don't even know where to start.
I also see some peoples road cleats really torn up from running in them. One of the reasons I like my shoes.

Hey Kathleen, I think that no matter how you go, you will be comfortable clipping in and out in no time. I rode in Looks for several years before switching over to Speedplays, and found the Looks to be really, really easy to get in and out of. Even back then, they centered top up (actually kinda tail down if I remember right) which made them actually even easier to get in and out of as you have to kinda toe in to them first. You may find the Speedplays even more forgiving, as like Fred says you can enter them from either side, and the entry can go straight down, toe in first, or heel in first. Truthfully I never think about them at all, but that is probably true of everybody that rides a lot no matter the system they use. Fred covered the durability issue - the Look-type cleats probably get hammered a little quicker by running in them, but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. My Speedplay cleats have always seemed to last as long as my shoes - I tend to replace them when I get new shoes, whether they need it or not. It may be TMI, but my shoes get replaced when my wife will no longer will get in the car with them. I occasionally throw them into the laundry with a load of shop towels, but MAN they get stinky - all that sockless riding I guess. I think I remember reading somewhere that KathyG throws hers in on the top rack of the dishwasher on occasion - I think I will try that out next time and see how it goes, but you may not want to come to a dinner party at our house right after...

I think (this is totally unsubstantiated by any sort of quantitative research) that the biggest difference in road/triathlon shoes vs. mountain bike shoes is weight. You will never feel the difference while riding, but I have to think that this is really one of the pieces of tri equipment where weight might actually matter. A 2oz. savings in weight in a pair of shoes means that over a 6 hour ride you will be lifting approximately 3,825 lbs. LESS than you would otherwise in a slightly heavier pair. In my personal experience, a couple of oz of savings in running shoes make a HUGE difference in ultra races; I just have to think it does on distance cycling as well.

The shoes I ride in are pretty stiff (which is not for everyone, actually); I never notice/feel the platform size - all I can feel is the shoe itself. Hope this helps!
2010-12-29 7:36 PM

Master
I would recommend triathlon specific shoes versus road shoes. The triathlon shoes are much easier to get in and out of at races. More than likely you will be racing other distances than IM's where the extra time getting in and out of your shoes may matter.

I race in socks during HIM and IM events. Anything shorter than HIM is sockless.

I also put my socks on the night before a race. Then I will roll them down like a condom and place inside of my bike shoes. It makes it much easier to get socks on wet feet in a hurry on race day. Kathy G introduced me to socks from Road Runner Sports that are great for absorbing sweat/liquid when running/cycling.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1104/

There are a few thread on Slowtwitch discussing speedplay cleats and achilles problems. If you tend to have problems with your achilles/lower legs you might want to search the threads on Slowtwitch.

Edited by Catwoman 2010-12-29 7:41 PM
2010-12-29 9:22 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Greetings all! I have some log and group catching up to do! Ended up that place I met family for Christmas was sorely lacking in decent internet, so I took an internet hiatus! I will have my logs updated and take a look at the threads here over the next few days! Excited and ready to tackle 2011!
2010-12-29 9:59 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
does anyone have a log of all the people in the group?  I want to make sure I have them as "friends" so I can keep track!!

2010-12-29 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3267100

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
TankBoy - 2010-12-29 6:09 PM
Kath2163 - 2010-12-29 6:59 PM

Hey Kathleen, I think that no matter how you go, you will be comfortable clipping in and out in no time. I rode in Looks for several years before switching over to Speedplays, and found the Looks to be really, really easy to get in and out of. Even back then, they centered top up (actually kinda tail down if I remember right) which made them actually even easier to get in and out of as you have to kinda toe in to them first. You may find the Speedplays even more forgiving, as like Fred says you can enter them from either side, and the entry can go straight down, toe in first, or heel in first. Truthfully I never think about them at all, but that is probably true of everybody that rides a lot no matter the system they use. Fred covered the durability issue - the Look-type cleats probably get hammered a little quicker by running in them, but they are relatively inexpensive to replace. My Speedplay cleats have always seemed to last as long as my shoes - I tend to replace them when I get new shoes, whether they need it or not. It may be TMI, but my shoes get replaced when my wife will no longer will get in the car with them. I occasionally throw them into the laundry with a load of shop towels, but MAN they get stinky - all that sockless riding I guess. I think I remember reading somewhere that KathyG throws hers in on the top rack of the dishwasher on occasion - I think I will try that out next time and see how it goes, but you may not want to come to a dinner party at our house right after...

I think (this is totally unsubstantiated by any sort of quantitative research) that the biggest difference in road/triathlon shoes vs. mountain bike shoes is weight. You will never feel the difference while riding, but I have to think that this is really one of the pieces of tri equipment where weight might actually matter. A 2oz. savings in weight in a pair of shoes means that over a 6 hour ride you will be lifting approximately 3,825 lbs. LESS than you would otherwise in a slightly heavier pair. In my personal experience, a couple of oz of savings in running shoes make a HUGE difference in ultra races; I just have to think it does on distance cycling as well.

The shoes I ride in are pretty stiff (which is not for everyone, actually); I never notice/feel the platform size - all I can feel is the shoe itself. Hope this helps!

Thank you. Yes, this helps!
2010-12-30 12:02 AM

Elite
Ontario
I'm never up at this hour, but I've been away and surprised how much I missed out on in this thread - 11 pages already.

Here are a couple of my thoughts and questions.

Socks - always wear them for training (run and ride), except when I'm on the trainer, but that's usually less than an hour anyways.  Racing, never wear them unless I'm at 1/2 iron distance (only once so far).  Recommendation - Sugoi R&R sock.

Defined as a Triathlete - I don't have any other hobbies.  Between a wife, two kids, and job, the training I manage to put in keeps me planety busy.  I never introduce myself as a triathlete, or talk about it unless working out gets brought up in conversation, and most of the people I hang out with don't race.  That said, I love to talk about it when it us brought up, and at work there are a few other people that run so we can talk about that.

Run pacing - I'm hoping we get some more discussion around this topic.  My first race next year will be a 1/2 marathon in May, and I'm only now starting to run over 10km again.  ITBS is an ongoing issue and still causing me big issues.  But to the point about pacing.  I always wear a HRM and for the past few months have been trying to watch the HR and keep it in zone 2 to control myself from running too fast and exerting myself.  For the most part this seems to have worked well until the past couple of weeks where the ITB has flared up.

But the goal for the 1/2 is to run it 1:35 or faster.  The intention is to train following the FIRST plan, which is all based on pace, paces which I really have not been running at for a while, but I think the 1:35 is certainly achievable, I just need the ITB to hold up.  I'm trying to decide if this is a recipe for disaster or if it will work - I used  the FIRST plan in 08 and hit my target time exactly, I'm hoping for a repeat this time.

Fred - I saw that you're now running much slower than you have done in the past.  Considering that you're quite a quick runner, what exactly is the point, and how does it help you further improve, i.e. get even faster or better conditioned for racing?

I'm off to bed, and will regret being up this late tomorrow.
2010-12-30 12:48 AM

Expert
Today was a 1 hr spin at 5:30am and then I did a 30 min run at 10pm. Yes, I train at all hours of the day.

Since this is my first year training, I think I did ok for training. I'll finish the year with over 2000 miles on the bike, over 550 miles of running and about 90,000 yds of swimming. Next year I would like to finish with somewhere around 3000 miles of biking, 800-1000 miles of running and 150,000-200,000 yds of swimming. This may be a little over-jealous but we'll see.
2010-12-30 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3267334

Extreme Veteran
London
Re:Pedals - I would also add that the Look /SPD SL style cleats are MUCH easier to walk in than mountain bike style SPD cleats IMO. The fact that they're plastic as well I've found they grip the floor better as well plus they're cheap to replace.
Clipping in on the SPD SL pedals properly took me about a dozen goes and now it's as easy as the double sided SPD cleats I've got on my roadie. The cleats do hang tail down and once you've got the tip of the cleat vaguely near the hole in the cleat then it just drops in. You can even cycle with the cleat the wrong way up for a bit if you get it wrong ....... Not that I've done that of course lol

Defining yourself as a triathlete - that's and easy one for me as I just can't define myself as any type of athlete at the moment (too fat and unfit for starters). Personally I am interested in so many things that introducing myself as just one is pointless and a bit silly IMO. Rather I say I do triathlons or am training for them. As to it bring important to my self image I feel it is more the challenge and the determination that goes along with training for tri that is the important bit at the moment. I try to set a goal or two each year and do them - this year was learning to surf and climbing in France, next year is the HIM + IM.

Shoes - thanks for the info. I think I'll go with tri shoes but will definitely shop around for the comfiest I can find this time with socks on.
2010-12-30 4:56 AM

2010-12-30 5:03 AM
in reply to: #3267441

2010-12-30 7:08 AM

Master
Baltimore
One comment about socks.  I heart Smartwool PhD Light and Ultra Light Socks.  My fiance is jealous of my illicit love affair with them.  They can (or at least could a few months ago) be had with some patience and luck on Bonktown for about $4-$5 a pair (regularly $10-$15).  I always wear them training, except maybe a few rides and runs before an event.  At this point, I know my shoes are ok barefoot, so I don't need to break them in or anything.

I did a significant amount of recreational cycling in mountain cleats on a recommendation when I joined the skinny tire folks.  Already had the pedals and shoes so I was fine with it.  Finally switched to some Look Keos (it was when I first came out I believe and they had gotten rave reviews).  WOW.  I immediately regretted the last 4 or 5 years in MTB cleats.  Never tried anything else for road use, but never really felt the need to.  What I really liked over the MTB cleat was the much better feeling of "secureness" to the pedal amd the bigger platform.  I personally like a very secure feel and limited float, so I use the mid-float cleats and have the tension maxed out.  In terms of picking the best, my bet is that they are all pretty much the same in performance (save the Look Keo Easy - avoid those, they have no tension adjustment and are waaaay to loose), so find your balance of price and weight.  The nicer one's will have upgraded bearings, but I don't think it's something I'll ever notice.

I've always had problems with hot spots in cyling shoes.  I have a narrow foot and it seems every shoe out there has the "feature" of a wide toe box.  I usually have to clamp down the straps/ratchet like crazy.  I found a great deal and made the jump to SIDIs because of this and love the T2s.  I'd like a nice pair of road shoes too - I've been doing all riding in the T2s.  Any suggestions on a good road shoe for a narrow foot?  I like the SIDIs but they are sooo expensive.  I've been interested in the custom fit shoes too - Bont and Shimano have versions that mold to your foot.  Any experience/advice there?
2010-12-30 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3267537

Master
Baltimore
jsiegs - 2010-12-30 8:08 AM One comment about socks.  I heart Smartwool PhD Light and Ultra Light Socks.  My fiance is jealous of my illicit love affair with them.  They can (or at least could a few months ago) be had with some patience and luck on Bonktown for about $4-$5 a pair (regularly $10-$15).  I always wear them training, except maybe a few rides and runs before an event.  At this point, I know my shoes are ok barefoot, so I don't need to break them in or anything.  I mostly wear them biking but have for running too on occation.  My normal run socks are a mix of Nike and Zoot socks.

I did a significant amount of recreational cycling in mountain cleats on a recommendation when I joined the skinny tire folks.  Already had the pedals and shoes so I was fine with it.  Finally switched to some Look Keos (it was when I first came out I believe and they had gotten rave reviews).  WOW.  I immediately regretted the last 4 or 5 years in MTB cleats.  Never tried anything else for road use, but never really felt the need to.  What I really liked over the MTB cleat was the much better feeling of "secureness" to the pedal amd the bigger platform.  I personally like a very secure feel and limited float, so I use the mid-float cleats and have the tension maxed out.  In terms of picking the best, my bet is that they are all pretty much the same in performance (save the Look Keo Easy - avoid those, they have no tension adjustment and are waaaay to loose), so find your balance of price and weight.  The nicer one's will have upgraded bearings, but I don't think it's something I'll ever notice.

I've always had problems with hot spots in cyling shoes.  I have a narrow foot and it seems every shoe out there has the "feature" of a wide toe box.  I usually have to clamp down the straps/ratchet like crazy.  I found a great deal and made the jump to SIDIs because of this and love the T2s.  I'd like a nice pair of road shoes too - I've been doing all riding in the T2s.  Any suggestions on a good road shoe for a narrow foot?  I like the SIDIs but they are sooo expensive.  I've been interested in the custom fit shoes too - Bont and Shimano have versions that mold to your foot.  Any experience/advice there?
2010-12-30 8:30 AM

Master
Lexington, KY
Hi  -- I'm just back from vacation and would like to join Fred's group if it's not too late (no problems if it is).  I haven't read through the group yet (13 pages already!), so my apologies if I miss anything here in my intro.

-----

NAME: wiky/Rob

STORY:  I (re)started training for triathlon in August of 2008, and I have done two HIM's and two IM's (IMKY, IMWI).  Many years ago (1989-91) I ran XC and track in college (Div II) and did triathlons during those summers in the Green Bay, WI area.  I stopped all endurance training/racing from 1991-2008 and didn't miss it.  Now I'm hooked.

FAMILY: Married with three little boys (1, 5, 7).

CURRENT TRAINING: My 'A' race for 2011 is in September.  I'll start more serious training for it sometime in April/May.  Until then, my goal is to stay around 7-9 hrs/wk.  My biking fitness is solid, and my running is coming along after a couple of freakish injuries.  I've got a shoulder problem that is keeping me out of the water at the moment.  Unfortunately, swimming is my weakest link.

THIS YEAR's RACES: I did three races in 2010: two local tri's (OLY, HIM) and IMWI.  I managed to KQ at IMWI in spite of a somewhat disappointing run. 

2011 RACES: My 'A' race will again be IMWI - I had too much fun in 2010 not to go back.  Among the other races I'm considering are the Muncie 70.3 and the Rev3 Knoxville HIM.  Goal #1 for this season will be to run well at IMWI.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: About five pounds of holiday weight, which should come off once the weather warms up.

WHY I'M INTERESTED IN THIS GROUP:  I've got a lot to learn, I think Fred will be good at this, and I think this is a good way to get to know some other people on BT.  I also like the idea of being part of an IM/HIM focused group.
2010-12-30 8:33 AM

2010-12-30 9:03 AM

2010-12-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3267779

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-30 7:03 AM So today I have a planned rest day. I believe rest days are important and probably don't take enough of them myself. Anyone else training today?

I am up and at 'em and have a 2-2.5 hour bike to do and it'll probably be on the trainer as the rain that we've had around here the past couple of weeks has really trashed the roads with, well, trash. PLUS, Army is playing SMU in the Armed Forces Bowl game, and I intend to watch it, so why sit ideal and watch.  So, I shall make that a productive bowl game! Lot's on my to-do list after having been gone for a week! 
2010-12-30 9:25 AM

Elite
Ontario
Going to try and get in a run today, but being at home for the week is actually wrecking havoc with my training - in a good way.  But I still miss some of the structure from scheduling my training around my work hours.
2010-12-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3267795

Master
Highlands Ranch
Have fun spinning the game Brittany, and Go Army!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76