BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3443214

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed
LadyNorth - 2011-04-12 6:46 PM

Mark/or anyone else that has advice,

I've done several sprints the last 2 seasons but I've never learned to eat/drink on the bike.  With longer distances, I'll need to. I just got aerobars, mainly so I could use that water bottle that goes between the bars, but it doesn't hold all that much.  Today, I was able to take a GU out of the little box/bag on my bike, rip the top off with my teeth, suck it down, put the empty back in the bag - but I was very wobbly. (Actually, the hardest part was putting it back - I don't want to litter, but it sure would be easier to just ditch it)

Ok, lots of advice on this topic.  Are you talking about an aero bottle?  Those hold like 40 oz.  I used that last season, but it's in the way when I get really aggressive in my bars, so I went to the Speedfil.  That device attaches to the water bottle holder on the down tube and is triangular, so actual fills in the botton of the triangle and lessens drag.  My wife prefers the aero bottle, however, and she's more like you, a bit concerned about steadiness.  Since you're racing 70.3, you will have to learn this.  Racine can be very hot, last year it was sweltering.  I would go with the aero bottle, and it might get someone of your stature through a whole event, but even if it doesn't you can top it off on the fly at the aid stations.

As for the gels, there is a real easy way to get them open.  Get a roll of electrical tape, and it must be electrical tape.  It's strong enough to hold, weather proof, and won't harm the finish on your bike.  You lay the gel packet on your top tube, then run the tape around the top tube, running across the gel pack right at the tear line.  Wrap around the bar 2-3 times.  Then you lift up the packet, and tape the next one under the first so that when you lay the second one down, it rests on the first.  When you go to rip off the first one, it opens for you, allowing you to do that with one hand, gulp it down, and get back to business.  I think I have a picture of my bike with these from IM MOO, I will check.  It was very early in the AM, can't recall if that pic turned out.  I had like 7 of them lined up.

For garbage, leave the top of the bento box askew a little bit so that you don't have to open it to put the crumpled up packet back in there.  As for the sticky fingers which drive me nuts....no solutions there unless you have a water bottle or want to open wipes while going fast.  You're stuck, pun intended, with those.

2011-04-12 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

That gel idea sounds great.  I don't know what electrical tape is, but I'm sure my husband does.  Can't wait to try it.

Yes, I have an aero bottle - it's a Profile Design Aerodrink bottle and it holds 32 oz.  I was out for 22 miles today and drank the whole thing (it wasn't hot but it was windy), so I'm sure I'll have to top it off.  I, like your wife, am a big fan of stabilty.

I'll just deal with the stickyness.  I'm sure once my bottom starts hurting like h*ll, I won't care about sticky fingers.

Next on my "to do" list is to read the Hammer guide.

Thanks again, Denise

2011-04-12 8:21 PM

User image

Subject: RE: swim technique

This is really technical, and therefore may not be of the greatest value to all or even most of you, but I wanted to post it anyhow.  The reason is, I want you to see how important form is to swimming.  It's not raw strength, brute force, or even incredible fitness.  It's form, form, form.  On the bike I say fit=fast.  That's bike fit, as in, strong position, smooth pedaling...oh yeah, and lots of time in the saddle tuning up the engine.  In the pool the time is spent refining technique.  Smooth=fast, and that is that.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Swimming/How_To_Pull_Underwater_2009.html

2011-04-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3443116

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Building your distance up
Sounds like you had a great workout. It's on my plan for tomorrow!
2011-04-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3443348

User image

You must have the single chamber.  There is a double that holds more, and it has two different chambers so you can have two different drinks.  I was doing water in one, Gatorade in the other, or sometimes Cytomax in one and Gatorade in the other.  I believe that one holds 44 oz.  Profile Design AquaCell Aero Bottle / Hydration System
2011-04-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3443228

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
mwp1054 - 2011-04-12 4:57 PM
LadyNorth - 2011-04-12 6:46 PM

Mark/or anyone else that has advice,

I've done several sprints the last 2 seasons but I've never learned to eat/drink on the bike.  With longer distances, I'll need to. I just got aerobars, mainly so I could use that water bottle that goes between the bars, but it doesn't hold all that much.  Today, I was able to take a GU out of the little box/bag on my bike, rip the top off with my teeth, suck it down, put the empty back in the bag - but I was very wobbly. (Actually, the hardest part was putting it back - I don't want to litter, but it sure would be easier to just ditch it)

Ok, lots of advice on this topic.  Are you talking about an aero bottle?  Those hold like 40 oz.  I used that last season, but it's in the way when I get really aggressive in my bars, so I went to the Speedfil.  That device attaches to the water bottle holder on the down tube and is triangular, so actual fills in the botton of the triangle and lessens drag.  My wife prefers the aero bottle, however, and she's more like you, a bit concerned about steadiness.  Since you're racing 70.3, you will have to learn this.  Racine can be very hot, last year it was sweltering.  I would go with the aero bottle, and it might get someone of your stature through a whole event, but even if it doesn't you can top it off on the fly at the aid stations.

As for the gels, there is a real easy way to get them open.  Get a roll of electrical tape, and it must be electrical tape.  It's strong enough to hold, weather proof, and won't harm the finish on your bike.  You lay the gel packet on your top tube, then run the tape around the top tube, running across the gel pack right at the tear line.  Wrap around the bar 2-3 times.  Then you lift up the packet, and tape the next one under the first so that when you lay the second one down, it rests on the first.  When you go to rip off the first one, it opens for you, allowing you to do that with one hand, gulp it down, and get back to business.  I think I have a picture of my bike with these from IM MOO, I will check.  It was very early in the AM, can't recall if that pic turned out.  I had like 7 of them lined up.

For garbage, leave the top of the bento box askew a little bit so that you don't have to open it to put the crumpled up packet back in there.  As for the sticky fingers which drive me nuts....no solutions there unless you have a water bottle or want to open wipes while going fast.  You're stuck, pun intended, with those.

X2

Best way to put gels on there!

Also, they will have bottle drops on 70.3 (most likely) Grab a bottle as you ride by, then dump it in your aerobottle, then ditch the bottle.  Easiest way to fill up, takes a little practice, but it's way better than stopping to fill!

Best of luck!

2011-04-12 8:50 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Did my track workout for the week! Mark's been great about advising people to think about intensity as well as duration!

i did ..

1mile WU

4 x 800 meters @ 6:40 pace

400 meter recoveries at 10 min pace

400 meter Cool down followed by short walk and stretch.

4 miles total @ combined 8:00 min/mile with heart rate peaking at 155.  This means that i should try 6:25-6:30 next time i believe as 160 is more of my lactate threshold.

2011-04-12 8:58 PM

User image

México City
Mark, do you recommend using paddles for swimming? Should i use them all the time or alternate some times with and some without?
2011-04-12 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3442420

User image

Low cal vanilla yogurt, 1 tsp cocoa, 1/2 banana, 1 oz strong coffee, skim milk and ice - mocha banana smoothie or low cal vanilla yogurt, bunch of mixed frozen fruit (mango/melon/strawberries mostly), skim milk and ice.

Laurie,

I love the idea of a mocha smoothie.  I will try one tomorrow!

Jacqui

2011-04-12 9:27 PM

User image

Did a run workout today - a little over 7 miles.  2 miles warm up, six intervals of 4 minutes at 8:30-9:00 followed by 90 seconds recovery, then about a mile or two of cool down.  Despite the hilly terrain I hit all my "speed" intervals  except for the one when my cell phone rang.

Also swam 500 yards in the pool today.  I'm still plugging away and trying to work on technique.  I'll visit the link just posted above. 

2011-04-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3443444

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Panchorancho - 2011-04-12 6:58 PM Mark, do you recommend using paddles for swimming? Should i use them all the time or alternate some times with and some without?

I have never used Paddles, i'm sure Mark will have more insight on this...

however, just like fins/pull buoy, etc. use in moderation.  You wont be using any of those for your race.  They are great for technique practice, but when it comes down to it you wont be using them on open water swims.  good luck!

2011-04-12 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3443502

User image

Veteran

I picked up my bike today from the shop with my new wheels on it. I had to step up to 32 spokes because I broke two on my last ride. I had to take it out for a ride and test it out. Wow what a difference in stability. The only bad thing I noticed was the cross wing catches the bike a little more. I ended up with 35 miles in 1 hr 45m with a pace of 20 mph. I mixed it up with some sprints and a little hill climbing, it felt great.

Mark, I was on a training program for running like you mentioned but switched it up a little because of some people telling me I shouldn't train like that. I am going to switch back to your method and see what happens. I do the intervals for swimming and it's done wonders, six months ago I couldn't swim 25m without felling like I was going to puke. Now I can do 500m sprints before I feel like puking

2011-04-12 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3443540

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
garrunning - 2011-04-12 7:51 PM

I picked up my bike today from the shop with my new wheels on it. I had to step up to 32 spokes because I broke two on my last ride. I had to take it out for a ride and test it out. Wow what a difference in stability. The only bad thing I noticed was the cross wing catches the bike a little more. I ended up with 35 miles in 1 hr 45m with a pace of 20 mph. I mixed it up with some sprints and a little hill climbing, it felt great.

Mark, I was on a training program for running like you mentioned but switched it up a little because of some people telling me I shouldn't train like that. I am going to switch back to your method and see what happens. I do the intervals for swimming and it's done wonders, six months ago I couldn't swim 25m without felling like I was going to puke. Now I can do 500m sprints before I feel like puking

Some peoples theory is to work on your base.  SLowly increase your volume by 10% a week and run at a comfortable pace in an aerobic base.  However, if you want to really increase speed and see gains in your splits, Mark's advice with interaval and speed work is great advice.

2011-04-12 10:42 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
Today was a good day - I focused on some sprint intervals and got to just under 5km/min pace at my hardest interval. I felt pretty rough during and my heart rate was way up, but overall I realized I could do more than I realized I could!
2011-04-13 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3443444

User image

PanchoRancho,

Paddles are a great tool for finding imperfections in your stroke and working to build strength in your arms.  If you use them, it's typically only for a set here and there.  They can be very hard on your shoulders.  I can't use them or I get tendonitis flare ups in my shoulders almost immediately.

2011-04-13 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3443603

User image

Great job Laurie!!

2011-04-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3443228

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Regarding Gu and other gels, try snipping the top a tiny bit so that you can open it more easily.
2011-04-13 8:20 AM

User image

I'm off for my ride this morning.  90 minutes of riding before Master's swim.  I'm jacked as it's my first ride with my new power meter and standard crank instead of my compact.  I have a 14 mile time trial as the main set, so it's a test of where I'm at after a winter of CompuTrainer classes.  I guess I'll call it a "truth ride", as there's no hiding from the data.  Happy training to all today.  45 and sunny AND ONLY 3 MPH WINDS TODAY!!!!!!!
2011-04-13 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3443924

Mark,

PowerMeter..now there's  a good topic. I was considering getting one but I don't know enough about them and wouldn't know where to start.  I went to a class that uses them to see what it was like and I thought it was pretty cool.  What can you tell us about the choices out there?

Ellen

2011-04-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3444813

User image

I could tell you a lot about them.  I'll go into them in detail and I'm preparing a post with a chart from the power meter that shows the feedback they give you.  Bottom line is if you are serious about training and want to always know the truth about your workout on the bike, you need one.  They are expensive though, but you can work eBay hard for them, which is what I did, and still got ripped a new one by my better half.
2011-04-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3441596

User image

Subject: RE: Building your distance up

I am totally going to admit that the add a little distance every week has been my plan for the swimming. So, It's good to have seen the light early so I can change my ways. Kiss

Amy

2011-04-13 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,

Just got back from trying the taped gel. It worked great!! I still wobbled some but it was a much smoother process. The gel ripped off very easily.  I don't know how you got so many gels on tho.

I'm getting the double chamber aero bottle also.

Thanks again, Denise

2011-04-13 3:59 PM

User image

Today's power meter data.

(SRM power meter file for TT with comments.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
SRM power meter file for TT with comments.jpg (84KB - 11 downloads)
2011-04-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3443924

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

mwp1054 - 2011-04-13 6:20 AM I'm off for my ride this morning.  90 minutes of riding before Master's swim.  I'm jacked as it's my first ride with my new power meter and standard crank instead of my compact.  I have a 14 mile time trial as the main set, so it's a test of where I'm at after a winter of CompuTrainer classes.  I guess I'll call it a "truth ride", as there's no hiding from the data.  Happy training to all today.  45 and sunny AND ONLY 3 MPH WINDS TODAY!!!!!!!

very jealous of you.  power meters are SO cool.  My next tri season I will be upgrading the bike. Then the following my plans are for a power meter .  I hope with the advancements in tech the price for them might drop.  but they are sooo interesting and you cant cheat them!

2011-04-13 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3444981

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
LadyNorth - 2011-04-13 1:15 PM

Mark,

Just got back from trying the taped gel. It worked great!! I still wobbled some but it was a much smoother process. The gel ripped off very easily.  I don't know how you g so many gels on tho.

I'm getting the double chamber aero bottle also.

otThanks again, Denise

Denise,

try looking at this http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2010/04/tip-gels-on-top-tubes.html

a little how to on the gels and how to attatch them.

a "somewhat" helpful video too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAl5BebO2_c

good luck!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30