General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-02-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3589984

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
I'll be there with my 3 kids, so I'm all for a BT Trick or Treat.  I already know what I'll be going as-a bundle of nerves. Wink

2012-02-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4047350

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

bill2059 - 2012-02-14 2:25 PM
KathyG - 2012-02-07 10:05 AM BT Halloween kid party at IMFL?
Sounds like it could be fun! I am bringing my 10 yo daughter and she loves to dress up! Do you think the kids will have a problem with getting gels and power bars instead of candy?!!

We've got a group of about 7 athletes and 12 kids.  We most definitely plan on dresing up and trick or treating.  We plan on just randomly knocking on doors at the Boardwalk Beach Resort and most definitely plan on sending my daughter to the vendors in Ironman Village.  Yeah, they close at 4:30, and thats a bit early, but they better be prepared, because I am sending my daughter there way and if they don't have candy for her, they better have something for dadddy.

You hear that K Swiss, Newton and Zoot???

I mean, who could tell her no???

2012-02-15 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

On a more serious note - since I am slowly ramping up my training again I have been mentally going through every detail of IMFLA 2010 trying to find every minute I can.

I can't ignore what I consider to be a pretty bad T1 for me.  Now, it was my first IM, and I really took my time, but I want to shave a few minutes. 

These are some things I did in T1 in 2010.

Completely changed shorts, Put on a HR strap, body glided key upper body parts and most of my "Under carriage" then I put chamois butt'r on my man parts as well (also had chamois butt'r on the pad of my dry shorts

I had to change HR monitors and chest straps in T2 as well.

I have already eliminatedthe HR monitor issue by purchasing the new Garmin HR monitor I can wear on the swim, then I will ride with my wife's garmin 305 mounted to the bike (by use of the Torhans Hydration system tray), and swtich to my garmin 305 for the run.  This in itself will save me probably 5 minutes total (in both transitions).

My other consideration is debating on not switching shorts.  Most people I know did, mailing because of what the salt can do for you.  So, my question is for those who didn't change shorts after the swim.  What precautions did you take?  I can't exactly replicate that in training and I'm not sure if I just glob my shorts with chamois butt'r after the swim if that would be enough.  Especially being wet, wouldn't it just run off?  Do/did you spend extra time rinsing off in the showers just off the beach?

2012-02-15 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4049230

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I'd suggest practicing changing shorts.  Really doesn't take that long.  In 2010  it was cold out.  I cannot imagine heading out in wet shorts on that day. 

I spent way too much time in T1 debating about what to wear.  Think I'll have that better dialed in this year. 

Personally I like changing.  I'm going to spend at least six hours on the bike.  What difference is an extra two minutes in the changing tent going to make?  Comfort for six hours. 

[if I knew this wouldn't be taken the wrong way, I might ask why it took you fifteen minutes to put on chamois butter.  Wink]

Edited by jashac 2012-02-15 1:28 PM
2012-02-15 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Hope everyone is staying warm out there and still getting some training in. I am getting quite comfortable on a treadmill right now :P Ok I lie, I still hate running indoors!
2012-02-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4049267

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
jashac - 2012-02-15 1:23 PM

I'd suggest practicing changing shorts.  Really doesn't take that long. 

It isn't the changing of the shorts that takes so long, it's having to deal with the chaos of the changint tent while changing shorts that takes forever.  Swimming between 1 hour and 1:15, that tent is a madhouse.

[quote ] I'm going to spend at least six hours on the bike.  What difference is an extra two minutes in the changing tent going to make?  Comfort for six hours. 

If it is a decision of comort for 5.5+ hours and the cost is a few minutes, it is an easy choice.  What makes it difficult is, changing doesn't guarantee comfort and not changing doesn't guarantaee irritation.  But for me, taking 2 minutes off the swim, 7 minutes in transition (total), 10 seconds per mile off the run and a few minutes off the bike is 15 minutes.  Thats alot of time for me.  Not the end of the world, but significant nonetheless.

I know the advtangaes of changing, but alot of people don't, and they don't have issues.  Curious as to see their methods.

Wjat took so long last year was looking for a place to actually change -there was literally nowehere to go.  My bad had my sunglasses, shoes, tri top, HR monitor, shorts and nutrition.  and I had to empty that bag and restuff it with my wetsuit and every single chair was full, there were people standing in the isles and nowewhere to go.  I stodd there totally nude holding my wetsuit with one guy's face in my crotch as he was putting on his socks, and some other guys butt rubing against mine.  Not only was it uncomfortable, it was time consuming.  By not having to change shorts, it really helps that problem

2012-02-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4049351

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

What you say is totally true.  And if you weren't changing shorts you could (i think) just change outside the tent. 

Have you discussed the changing tent situation with the race director?  It seems like that would be a good idea.

In 2010, they let us into the conference center adjacent to the changing tent.  It was still a zoo, but at least there was some room to change.

2012-02-17 9:23 AM

User image

Expert

OK, I had probably one of the slowest T1 times of all in 2011.  And, I didn't change shorts.  But I wasn't concerned just taking my time.  Actually felt a bit disjointed, I mean I put on my shoes before pants, helmet before my long sleeve shirt, etc.  Just couldn't get it together.  And yes, the place was mad house coming out at 1;19!  It was also cold so I took the time to put on tights, long sleeve shirt, arm warmers, etc.  Glad I did too as I didn't take anything off until the run.

But, you asked about not changing shorts.  I used my tri shorts for the swim and the ride and didn't have any issue with them on the bike.   I just put Chamois Butter on liberally before the swim then a quick rinse on the way to T1.  No issues at all.  I did ride the last few long rides in my tri shorts so I was used to them on the bike. 

For the run I did change into fresh underwear and shorts.  At that time I had plenty of room in T2 and again, not in a big hurry. Probably could have used my tri shorts and been OK, but the 3 minutes to put on clean clothes was worth it.  T2 is so much easier to maneuver.

I'll be a little more focused this year.  I know what to expect in T1 so it won't be so overwhelming and will have my gear a bit more organized.  Hopefully it will be just a touch bit warmer so I don't have to wear so many clothes.

Like you said, I can easily shave time by just being a bit more focused.  I figure 10 min between the 2 transitions and easily 15 - 30 minutes off the bike between more focused stops and riding a little harder.  Last year I really took it easy on the bike as I wasn't sure how the run would be. 

enjoy,

Duane

2012-02-17 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4049612

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
jashac - 2012-02-15 4:05 PM

What you say is totally true.  And if you weren't changing shorts you could (i think) just change outside the tent. 

Have you discussed the changing tent situation with the race director?  It seems like that would be a good idea.

In 2010, they let us into the conference center adjacent to the changing tent.  It was still a zoo, but at least there was some room to change.

There is no changing tent now. The changing "tent" IS the conference center. It is an absolute mad house. It took me 5 minutes to find enough room on the floor to set my T1 bag, much less get my equipment on for the bike.

I swam and biked in my Desoto 400 mile shorts. I had absolutely no issue with salt rubbing me. I used body glide before the swim and applied again in T1.

2012-02-17 5:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

The amount of space changing area was expanded in 2011 so both women and men's area were bigger than 2009 and 2010.

They have showers as you exit the beach to rinse off a bit.

I haven't had an issue with not changing my shorts and wearing same shorts all day.

2012-02-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4053838

User image

Expert
KathyG - 2012-02-17 5:35 PM

The amount of space changing area was expanded in 2011 so both women and men's area were bigger than 2009 and 2010

Holy cow!  If that is the case I am so glad I wasn't there in 2009 or 2010.  2011 was a mad house with a 1:19 swim.

enjoy,

Duane

Edited by Duanerice 2012-02-19 8:43 AM

2012-02-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4049230

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
LSUfan4444 - 2012-02-15 1:10 PM

On a more serious note - since I am slowly ramping up my training again I have been mentally going through every detail of IMFLA 2010 trying to find every minute I can.

I can't ignore what I consider to be a pretty bad T1 for me.  Now, it was my first IM, and I really took my time, but I want to shave a few minutes. 

These are some things I did in T1 in 2010.

Completely changed shorts, Put on a HR strap, body glided key upper body parts and most of my "Under carriage" then I put chamois butt'r on my man parts as well (also had chamois butt'r on the pad of my dry shorts

I had to change HR monitors and chest straps in T2 as well.

I have already eliminatedthe HR monitor issue by purchasing the new Garmin HR monitor I can wear on the swim, then I will ride with my wife's garmin 305 mounted to the bike (by use of the Torhans Hydration system tray), and swtich to my garmin 305 for the run.  This in itself will save me probably 5 minutes total (in both transitions).

My other consideration is debating on not switching shorts.  Most people I know did, mailing because of what the salt can do for you.  So, my question is for those who didn't change shorts after the swim.  What precautions did you take?  I can't exactly replicate that in training and I'm not sure if I just glob my shorts with chamois butt'r after the swim if that would be enough.  Especially being wet, wouldn't it just run off?  Do/did you spend extra time rinsing off in the showers just off the beach?

I have done 5 IMs I have never changed my shorts.  Tri shorts all day. Last year I got a saddle sore but no problem the other 4 years and the saddle sore was not an issue on the run.  I just body glide in the am before the swim.  I am not a fan of complete wardrobe changes.  Putting youre stuff in ziplock bags helps I think.  I have a Must have bag and a Might need bag then you are not sorting thru stuff rolling allover the floor

2012-02-21 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Same here: no changing clothes all day. The only thing I do special is a lot of body glide before the race starts and chamois cream in T1 and at Special Needs. Never gave me any major issues.

The only thing I can recommend is to practice what you intend to wear on race day. Just go with the old adage of nothing new on race morning.
2012-02-21 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

In 2010 I didn't change shorts all day and had no issues.  Rinsed off coming out of the water and was good to go.  Didn't help my T1 time at all as I had a blazing fast 16 minute transition!  Indecision on what to wear to deal with the cooler temps was an issue as well as struggling to find space to get ready. 

I did change out of tri top in T2, but that was me just not liking to run in compression type shirts, especially after a couple of hours.

2012-02-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4058134

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

15step - 2012-02-21 10:02 AM Same here: no changing clothes all day. The only thing I do special is a lot of body glide before the race starts and chamois cream in T1 and at Special Needs.

You added cream at the bike special needs?

Never gave me any major issues. The only thing I can recommend is to practice what you intend to wear on race day. Just go with the old adage of nothing new on race morning.

Thats kinda hard to do with no salt water to swim in before a century ride. Any sug.estions on how to imitate those conditions?  What if I add salt to some water and soak them for a few hours before my long ride,

Edited by LSUfan4444 2012-02-22 8:18 PM
2012-02-23 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4061597

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
LSUfan4444 - 2012-02-22 9:17 PM

15step - 2012-02-21 10:02 AM Same here: no changing clothes all day. The only thing I do special is a lot of body glide before the race starts and chamois cream in T1 and at Special Needs.

Never gave me any major issues. The only thing I can recommend is to practice what you intend to wear on race day. Just go with the old adage of nothing new on race morning.

Thats kinda hard to do with no salt water to swim in before a century ride. Any sug.estions on how to imitate those conditions?  What if I add salt to some water and soak them for a few hours before my long ride,

Don't spend to much time worrying about the salt water.  Just plan on hitting the shower/hose just after the stripper area.  5 seconds there is all you need.  After a few hours you'll be putting out your own salt!

Usually I put a cheap washcloth in the run special needs bag and get it wet on wipe off the salt accumulation while running.  Feels wonderful!

2012-02-23 8:02 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have been slacking but I am starting to get the training bug again.  I am going to try to do Gulf Coast for an early season preview of IMFL.  I am way out of shape for a half so I got some making up to do.  Is anyone else just now getting training fever or have I been on my own.
2012-02-23 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4061952

User image

Expert

peewee - 2012-02-23 8:02 AM I have been slacking but I am starting to get the training bug again.  I am going to try to do Gulf Coast for an early season preview of IMFL.  I am way out of shape for a half so I got some making up to do.  Is anyone else just now getting training fever or have I been on my own.

Nope - you are pretty much on your own - we are all Ironman ready

2012-02-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4061952

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

peewee - 2012-02-23 9:02 AM I have been slacking but I am starting to get the training bug again.  I am going to try to do Gulf Coast for an early season preview of IMFL.  I am way out of shape for a half so I got some making up to do.  Is anyone else just now getting training fever or have I been on my own.

I was a little burnt out since October... I did Detroit Marathon in October and then went down to FL to sign up for IMFL.  In January I did the Goofy race at Disney world, and then went traveling to Mexico and Germany for a month.  I just got back into training maybe 2 weeks ago but then got hit with tons of work stress and migraines.  I took another week off from training after only committing halfheartedly to the workouts I did manage to muster through the weeks prior.  After a full week off I am back at it and FINALLY feel like I am working towards a goal.

Some people on my team have not even started to think of the IM training yet for Florida, so this makes me happy that I am not behind.  And so - you are not behind! Laughing

2012-02-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4061597

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
LSUfan4444 - 2012-02-22 9:17 PM

Yea, had a small tube of cream in special needs and reapplied. Yea, uncouth but effective.

As with the salt water, Im not sure what to suggest. Perhaps soak your trishorts in salt water before a ride and see what that does? I dont think its really necessary though. Think about how much salt you're sweating out during the ride. Besides, they will have showers at the swim exit to wash off most of the salt and sand, and you can use T1 to do any extra cleanup you see necessary.

In the end it doesn't matter too much what you do, so long as it is practiced before hand. Different strokes for different folks, but make sure you know what kind of 'stroke' you intend to do on race day.
2012-02-24 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4062425

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Duanerice - 2012-02-23 12:22 PM

peewee - 2012-02-23 8:02 AM Is anyone else just now getting training fever or have I been on my own.

This is my biggest fear going into the race. Being so late in the year I do not want to catch training fever for fear of burning out by mid-August (when it normally starts to sink in).

Right now, just sticking to the plan and enjoying the workouts without thinking too much about them. Later on in the year is when we should begin to worry about the race itself. For now, just have fun with the s/b/r.

2012-02-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4064150

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
15step - 2012-02-24 8:39 AM

Duanerice - 2012-02-23 12:22 PM

peewee - 2012-02-23 8:02 AM Is anyone else just now getting training fever or have I been on my own.

This is my biggest fear going into the race. Being so late in the year I do not want to catch training fever for fear of burning out by mid-August (when it normally starts to sink in).

Right now, just sticking to the plan and enjoying the workouts without thinking too much about them. Later on in the year is when we should begin to worry about the race itself. For now, just have fun with the s/b/r.

I agree. I have been working through some foot issues, and my wife talked me into building a serious chicken coop - which knocked out a few days - great cross training! Just now having fun training to train. I am building up my base and have Memphis in May Olympic to keep my attention on. I will start focusing on IMFL in June when my training plan kicks in at 8hrs a week to start!!!
2012-02-24 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Georgia
Getting back to the changing issue, I worked the T-1 bag hand outs this past year. There were several people who accomplished their T-1 between the bag area and the convention center. One guy stripped out of his wetsuit and grabbed his bike gear while standing right in the bags. This year will be my first IMFL. I kept the same kit throughout IMWI last year and was fine. Given the reports of extremely crowded T-1, I may well elect not to change shorts for IMFL either. I'm planning to do Gulf Coast for a practice run.
2012-03-01 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I spent all of last week skiing.  Afraid that does not do much for triathlon base building.  Perhaps I'll rethink that early season 1/2.

February's totals:
Bike:9h 46m  - 135 Mi
Run:4h 06m  - 20.58 Mi
Swim:55m  - 2800 Yd
Strength:3h 47m
Skiing:67h 00m

Not much going on in the swim/bike/run department.  How are you guys doing?

2012-03-02 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I am feeling good an loving training. I have a new distance race in mid-May: 2 mile swim, 88 mile bike, 10 mile run so training has started early, besides which I have a hilly olympic in April.

February #'s:

Swim 37,000 yds. 13:36 hours

Bike 416.41 miles 22:47:40 hours

Run 121.27 miles 17:20 hours.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64