BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Good morning!

Mike, that grill food looks absolutely amazing (doesn't help that I'm already ready for lunch today...). I'm sure it was all delicious.

I am gearing up for my tri this weekend! I've been going pretty hard the last week and a half or so, but will take it easy the next few days, probably just go on an easy run or bike ride, and possibly a quick swim to loosen up a bit. The forecast in ATL looks like it will be in the mid 90s with a 30% chance of rain. The race starts at 7:30 though, so hopefully it won't be too far into the 80s yet!

I have no idea what times to expect. This will be my baseline for future tris I guess?!

Any advice for these days leading up to the race? I plan to carb load on Saturday (hopefully my friends will be up for some Italian food!). Do they usually have water stations on the course? What do you eat before and during the race? Do they have beers at the end to celebrate your finish?! (j/k...kind of)

2014-06-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nicole14e

Good morning!

Mike, that grill food looks absolutely amazing (doesn't help that I'm already ready for lunch today...). I'm sure it was all delicious.

I am gearing up for my tri this weekend! I've been going pretty hard the last week and a half or so, but will take it easy the next few days, probably just go on an easy run or bike ride, and possibly a quick swim to loosen up a bit. The forecast in ATL looks like it will be in the mid 90s with a 30% chance of rain. The race starts at 7:30 though, so hopefully it won't be too far into the 80s yet!

I have no idea what times to expect. This will be my baseline for future tris I guess?!

Any advice for these days leading up to the race? I plan to carb load on Saturday (hopefully my friends will be up for some Italian food!). Do they usually have water stations on the course? What do you eat before and during the race? Do they have beers at the end to celebrate your finish?! (j/k...kind of)

Carbo load two days before the race. Eat normal the day before the race. As far as race day, the old adage is "nothing new on race day". So you should train with what you will use on race day. Your body typically has two hours worth of glycol stored in your muscles and liver so for short races, no nutrition is needed. That said, lots of people take in calories for shorter races which is fine. If it gives you energy, makes you feel good, or gives you something to look forward to, go ahead. I like GU gels (tri berry) but people fuel with all kinds of stuff. You should experiment during training.

The morning of the race, I eat what I usually do for breakfast, a banana and a yogurt. For longer races I might eat some peanut butter on toast as well. I use to get up as late as possible and still make it to the race but I would end up in the porta potty four or five times. Then I tried getting up two hours before that, eating breakfast and going back to bed. Then I would get back up as late as possible and do my business at home or in the hotel instead of the porta potty. It worked out much better for me and it surprised me how easily I got back to sleep.

Beer after the race for sure! I often treat myself with junk food as well :-)

Good luck this weekend!
2014-06-24 9:14 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Looking for a gear recommendation. Interested in an economical watch/HRM for bike and run. Would like zone alarms at a minimum and the best programming flexibility for the money. Garmins are probably out of the price range. Any ideas?

I use to use a Timex Ironman watch with HRM. It doesn't have zone alarms (that I know of, I never checked). You can check out Polar and Suunto as well. There are probably gear reviews on BT.
2014-06-24 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I've been kind of lazy since Sunday's bike ride.  I rode for 4:30 and covered the southern 100km/ 62miles of my upcoming GranFondo on July 13th.  It will be a 160km ride.  Just a fun ride through wine country.

I swam and ran yesterday and again tomorrow then on Friday a 1:30 swim (aiming for 4000m) and a 2:00 run.  I'd really, really, really, like a good run on Friday.  Then on Sat or Sun we've got a 5 hour ride which may take me 5:30.  But it is a really fun ride, scenic, 4200' climbing and decent roads.

Mike - Love your BBQ  Your prawns look awesome.  Never had black-eyed peas though.

Marilyn - How's your ankle coming?  Don't rush it.  If you try running and feel any discomfort it is too soon to be running.

Anna - How's your knee?  I hope you're lucky and it's feeling fine.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-06-24 9:24 PM
2014-06-24 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by nicole14e Good morning! Mike, that grill food looks absolutely amazing (doesn't help that I'm already ready for lunch today...). I'm sure it was all delicious. I am gearing up for my tri this weekend! I've been going pretty hard the last week and a half or so, but will take it easy the next few days, probably just go on an easy run or bike ride, and possibly a quick swim to loosen up a bit. The forecast in ATL looks like it will be in the mid 90s with a 30% chance of rain. The race starts at 7:30 though, so hopefully it won't be too far into the 80s yet! I have no idea what times to expect. This will be my baseline for future tris I guess?! Any advice for these days leading up to the race? I plan to carb load on Saturday (hopefully my friends will be up for some Italian food!). Do they usually have water stations on the course? What do you eat before and during the race? Do they have beers at the end to celebrate your finish?! (j/k...kind of)

Nicole - is this your first Tri?  I think you said it is.  First off don't over think it or you'll get nervous.  Just think of it as any other old workout.  Just like the SBR you did with your Tri group.  You're right not to worry about your time.  Just plan to do your best and have fun. 

Leading up to your race just don't do too much on the day before your race.  Get your gear together and ready to go.  Being a Sprint you don't have to be too careful.  A COLD beer after a race on a hot day goes down really well.  I also love chocolate milk, pizza, cookies and watermelon.  Anything but bagel bits or pretzels (too dry).  Every race is different and after race food is always a surprise.  At one 5K I went to they had hot pancakes for us - they were great.  Although, Marilyn's race with crab cakes sounds like the best I've heard of.  For my first sprint I took a water bottle with Gatorade but I really didn't drink it until after the race and I didn't eat or drink anything else during the race.

Looking forward to reading your report.

2014-06-24 11:44 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Originally posted by nicole14e Good morning! Mike, that grill food looks absolutely amazing (doesn't help that I'm already ready for lunch today...). I'm sure it was all delicious. I am gearing up for my tri this weekend! I've been going pretty hard the last week and a half or so, but will take it easy the next few days, probably just go on an easy run or bike ride, and possibly a quick swim to loosen up a bit. The forecast in ATL looks like it will be in the mid 90s with a 30% chance of rain. The race starts at 7:30 though, so hopefully it won't be too far into the 80s yet! I have no idea what times to expect. This will be my baseline for future tris I guess?! Any advice for these days leading up to the race? I plan to carb load on Saturday (hopefully my friends will be up for some Italian food!). Do they usually have water stations on the course? What do you eat before and during the race? Do they have beers at the end to celebrate your finish?! (j/k...kind of)

Nicole - is this your first Tri?  I think you said it is.  First off don't over think it or you'll get nervous.  Just think of it as any other old workout.  Just like the SBR you did with your Tri group.  You're right not to worry about your time.  Just plan to do your best and have fun. 

Leading up to your race just don't do too much on the day before your race.  Get your gear together and ready to go.  Being a Sprint you don't have to be too careful.  A COLD beer after a race on a hot day goes down really well.  I also love chocolate milk, pizza, cookies and watermelon.  Anything but bagel bits or pretzels (too dry).  Every race is different and after race food is always a surprise.  At one 5K I went to they had hot pancakes for us - they were great.  Although, Marilyn's race with crab cakes sounds like the best I've heard of.  For my first sprint I took a water bottle with Gatorade but I really didn't drink it until after the race and I didn't eat or drink anything else during the race.

Looking forward to reading your report.

Good Good stuff Up there!!!

just to add :
1.) Normally on sprints bike leg they dont have nutrition and hydration support. Carry a 24oz. bottle more than enough.The runs have every mile or km.
2.) Mechanical support its best to have your bike checked before the race. 2 nights before the race pump your tires check in am if it significantly deflates to check for pin flats.
3.) Practice changing tires otherwise get SAG/Mech'l Support number from RD. Bring 1 spare tube, 1 cannister and tire changing kit LBS can help you with it.

Have Fun!!!

2014-06-25 5:59 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Gary-  I use a Polar 300RX, it has zone alarms and interval alarms. It's a bit fiddly to set up and the manual is difficult to understand, but it does the job. I must admit though, I don't use the zones anymore (I used to, a lot) but just run off feel and the readout on the watch face. It worked out to be easier.Polar has the advantage of being able to read your heartrate in the water, if you use the compatible chest strap.

Nicole, relax and have fun on the day! I tend to eat well the last 2 days before the race (not "load" as such) and remember to have some muesli and yoghurt just before bed. I'm not very good at food before training in the morning so I have something low GI last thing at night instead. Definately have some beer afterwards. Preferably in a pub overlooking the beach, with a big plate of seafood and chips, and a group of other competitors swapping noshit stories .

2014-06-25 6:05 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I've been kind of lazy since Sunday's bike ride.  I rode for 4:30 and covered the southern 100km/ 62miles of my upcoming GranFondo on July 13th.  It will be a 160km ride.  Just a fun ride through wine country.

I swam and ran yesterday and again tomorrow then on Friday a 1:30 swim (aiming for 4000m) and a 2:00 run.  I'd really, really, really, like a good run on Friday.  Then on Sat or Sun we've got a 5 hour ride which may take me 5:30.  But it is a really fun ride, scenic, 4200' climbing and decent roads.

Mike - Love your BBQ  Your prawns look awesome.  Never had black-eyed peas though.

Marilyn - How's your ankle coming?  Don't rush it.  If you try running and feel any discomfort it is too soon to be running.

Anna - How's your knee?  I hope you're lucky and it's feeling fine.

LAZY? LAZY? If that's lazy then I must be comatose!

And the knee's doing OK so far, thanks. Had an experimental 4 k slow run on it today without twinges. This weekend I'm planning a mini-HIM around the Challenge course, hoping to do the full swim distance, maybe 60k of the bike and 5-8km run so I'm thinking if it survives that it'll be good for the half marathon.

2014-06-25 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I ran this morning!  I only went 2 miles and iced my ankle for 10 minutes after I got in from the run, but I did it and it DIDN'T hurt!  The ankle still hurts if I twist or roll it in certain ways, but running on paved roads will be fine, and it can bear the weight of running.  I was SOOOO happy to be running even though it was disgustingly humid this morning and my asthma was acting up.  I will have to try out my new water bottle next time

2014-06-25 3:03 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Woo hoo! Great to hear
2014-06-25 8:37 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

I ran this morning!  I only went 2 miles and iced my ankle for 10 minutes after I got in from the run, but I did it and it DIDN'T hurt!  The ankle still hurts if I twist or roll it in certain ways, but running on paved roads will be fine, and it can bear the weight of running.  I was SOOOO happy to be running even though it was disgustingly humid this morning and my asthma was acting up.  I will have to try out my new water bottle next time

Woohoo!

2014-06-26 3:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

Glad to hear it! I relate, of course, because I'm rehabbing my ankle as well. Want to increase my mileage when it feels well, but I'm being cautious. Only thing I can share is to take it slow and build on each success. Keep icing!

2014-06-27 1:39 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by nicole14e

I am gearing up for my tri this weekend!

Enjoy your first event Nicole. Don't put any pressure on yourself, just make sure you enjoy yourself. And soak up the pre-race excitement. My wife has zero interest in triathlon but even she loves the atmosphere before the race.

This may be of no use, but I once watched a couple of You Tube videos of T1 and T2 at a couple of pro triathlon races. It was a real lesson for me about how simple transitions should be, particularly T1.

Good luck, and have fun!

2014-06-27 1:51 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

How is training going everyone...?

I'm still struggling with a persistent hamstring tendon issue on the bike, so I went and had my first ever bike fit. I was sceptical about its impact but I really enjoyed the process. I am data driven and the Retul system measures a something like 25 different things, for each side of the body separately.

I've only had one ride but there are some clear benefits already:

- Massive improvement in the handling of the bike due mainly to a change in stem.
- Improved comfort on the bike.
- Reduced impact on my dodgy tendon.
- Confirmation my bike frame is the correct size for me (I thought it was too big)

I'm not sure any of this translated into better physical performance, but I think it was definitely worth the hefty price tag. Now I just need to log some more miles...

2014-06-27 10:44 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Anna - Good to hear your knee is OK.  Let us know how your mini-HIM goes this weekend.  Sort of a mini-race report.

Marilyn - Also good to hear your ankle seems to be improving and you're getting going again.

Nicole - Have a good time in your race this weekend.

Chris - Training wise I've had kind of a weird easy week.  I've logged some good hours (I'll cover todays bit below) but I've also had 3 days off including tomorrow.  Tomorrows my "taper" before another long bike ride (approx. 5:30) on Sunday.  I'll be riding most of the Challenge Penticton route (125km of the 180km course).

Your bike fit sounds like a step in the right direction.  I know from my own experience that subtle adjustments can have good or bad results.  So it is important to get it done properly.  Retul was the same as I had done here.

All - I purchased a set of clip on aerobars yesterday and I'll be installing them after my Sunday long ride.  I can't imagine them making a big difference in my speed but they can't hurt and I need something to get me a bit faster.

I wasn't looking forward to my workout today but I got up at 5:40 (I'm retired - you'd think I could sleep in once in awhile).  I had breakfast and got my wife up (she wanted to come along) and we left home at 6:00am got to the lake in 10 minutes and by 6:30 I was in my wetsuit and wading into the lake.  My wife was already in her kayak waiting for me.

There was some kind of Triathlon clinic group training about 20 swimmers practicing swim starts so I had to walk around them to get to the first swim buoy where I start swimming (and timing).  Then I signaled my wife that I was starting swimming and took off.  1:22:08 later I had swum a nominal 4K.  The actual distance was between 3400 & 3800m so I'm claiming 3700m for the day.

The water was a really nice temp, the lake was flat calm and the only reason I knew it was raining (heavily) ...on my wife... was that I could see the drops hitting the water each time I took a breath.  By the time I finished swimming there were many other swimmers on the same swim lines and I altered course a few times to swim around other swimmers coming straight at me from the opposite direction.  It is surprising how often head-on collisions happen over a 2km course with say 4 to 10 swimmers at any given time (usually everyone tries to swim early because the lake is calm then.  Once the sun rises high enough the wind picks up and it gets choppy fast.

My times for the swim were: 18:15/ 22:21/ 19:39/ 21:53.  Each leg was a quarter of the distance.  1st & 3rd were faster than the 2nd & 4th.  I can only guess there is a subtle current going from east to west.

Then I took my wife home and changed then headed out at 9:00am for a two hour run.  I was very pleased to be able to run the entire time without stopping except for a couple steep hills where I walked briefly.  I'm a slow runner but I managed to run a small fraction further than I had guesstimated I would be able to finish in the 2 hours.  I ran up the last hill which felt like forever but once I reached the crest it really was downhill for the last km on the home stretch.

Then I had a nap.  My favourite part of the day (so far).  After the nap I walked around feeling really good but really tired.  And, now I'm looking forward to a relaxing day off tomorrow.

2014-06-28 5:29 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

George, sounds like a great workout day. From your description I'm guessing there are semi-permanent marker buoys out where you swim? It would certainly be a useful training tool for open water. 

Chris, good to hear the fit went well and is useful. I don't know much about the Retul system so I did a little googling, it looks very interesting. I like data, and I'm getting more and more into gadgets and tech (thanks to triathlon and all the nifty useful and not-so-useful things you can buy for the sport) so I'm liking the sound of Retul!

I went to our local parkrun this morning to try out my knee again, had a steady/moderate run, knee was good, and I came in with a time of 29:41. I was once again amazed at how consistency in training can do wonderful things...12 months ago a 30 minute 5km was a bit of a pipedream, now sub-30 is a steady pace. Somehow I don't think I'll every be thinking the same of a 25 minute 5km, but you never know.

2014-06-28 5:31 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Everyone

Slow week for me , i figured i am on the point of burnout if i keep up this 10hr./week i figured a 4th week of minor workouts 7-8hrs. / week with two rest days instead of one would probably help. Any advice to avoid burnout let me know.

@Gary

[] posted by PsyTri

Hitting that trainer hard, I see! Houston is like S. Florida. Hot. Oppressive. Humid. Smart idea!Do you do a lot of zone work? If so, I'm curious what type of trial you did to get your max heart rate (if any). I'm comparing methods given to me by different people or websites. We seem to have similar average speeds on our aerobic rides. Averaging around 18 - 18.5 mph. What speeds do you sustain during a race. Just curious.Thanks.Gary

From your question above on short and medium bike workouts i just use an indoor trainer do intervals of 4 min Z1 and 3mins Z2 and 3 minsZ3 . to be honest i cant maintain Z4 for more than a minute so whats the use . I use either HRM or PM to monitor my zones. On endurance rides i just maintain Z1 to Z1.5 my speed here is very relative if i start bright and sunny i would expect a lower ave speed ,the 18 mph is only overcast significantly goes down with heat and humidity. Sprint and Oly swim starts very early therefore its early on the bike leg to be significantly be affected by the heat and the winds are mild. We are normally amped up on races therefore i ave 20 mph on races. On running its whole diff story its very lame i feel i am going to melt under this heat

@George
Aerobars??? i thought you were riding a Tri-Bike all along. I thought you got a Tri-Bike after ypur bike got stolen ( sorry to remind you). You may need a re-fit with those aerobars from drop bars to aerobars significantly affects your speed.

Happy Training Everyone

Cheers

2014-06-28 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hey Everyone -

Sorry I've been awol. We went camping/vacation and have all been sleep-deprived (especially the munchkins. I've been meaning to catch up, but y'all are so chatty, it's difficult!

Anyway, I am doing a sprint tomorrow, first tri of the summer. I did the aquabike for this race a few years back (when I was newly pregnant and had been throwing up for several weeks). It has the hill we were discussing a few pages back. The swim promises to be super easy - river swim with current. The bike has the hill and is long 18.8 miles. The run I don't know. I think it has a lot of shade and is on trails. So it should be a fun race. No great expectations. I seem to have taken the tactic of "taper early" thanks to the camping. My muscles are ready to work!

Hope I can catch up a bit with everyone next week. Enjoy your Sunday workout/race all!

-Rebecca

PS my 5 yr old competed in his first-ever swim meet this week. He did 25 "free" in 1:21.36. Proud mama here! (And aghast that some of these kids are loads faster than me! At least not the 5 yr olds!)

2014-06-29 4:52 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Carlo--good decision on the rest week/days. I find I need a rest day every 7-10 days, and I need an easy week  every third or fourth week. (Easy sessions and 2 days off).  If I try and push through I'm tired, unmotivated, the workouts are very lacklustre. Or I end up injuring myself somehow. Rest is vital!

Rebecca, have fun at the tri, and congrats on your son's swim meet! I can totally relate to the proud mother thing, my 4 year old daughter finally got the hang of swimming unaided (head under, kicking and paddling herself along, can't breathe yet though) 2 weekends ago at her swimming class and I was as proud as punch. 25 yards free is a real achievement! 

2014-06-29 5:23 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

We had a challenging training session this morning down at the HIM course. Had a short swim to get started, just 1km or so. Lucky we hadn't decided to go much further, I had goggle issues with them leaking (too  loose, then too tight, then knocked off by a nameless thing in the water--I really, really hope it was a medium-sized fish and not anything that could eat me...), After the fish incident I got the fear of swimming things with teeth and what little concentration I had was gone. The wetsuit behaved itself, I feel it's settling into shape a little, and apart from the mild resistance of the neoprene on my shoulders and my feet sticking out of the water it's fine.

Out of the water, suit off, dried off a little and changed into dry cycling gear, then headed out on the road. This time we were tackling the second half of the course, the hillier valley ride. Started well, I managed to get up and over "The Beast" with its 18% incline, but it turned out that was one of the easier bits. The road is a long, winding, very scenic hilly ride with a lot of long and/or steep climbs, narrow shoulders and a fair bit of traffic on a sunday. By the time we were heading back and climbing back over "The Beast" ( A grindingly long moderate grade climb on the way home) all I could think was "How on earth am I going to do a half marathon after this???" Back at the carpark and we'd ridden 65km, with 464m of climb. 

Was meant to have a run off the bike but I had nothing left. Drove home in a bit of a daze and have had a reasonably quiet afternoon doing chores around the house.

So, I know I need to do a lot of work on bike fitness. I need to get new goggles (already ordered)  and develop a bit of open water confidence when in a small group. Large groups/mass starts don't scare me; there is safety in numbers. The big plus for bike training is the course is not too far away, and I should hopefully be able to get a few more  sessions there before the race. I think my nutrition worked well ( a banana beforehand, dates and gingerbread babies on the course, drinking Endura sports drink)

2014-06-29 7:44 AM

User image

Gary, I have a Timex ironman watch with heart rate zone alarms. There are different models of those watches, so make sure you get the features you want. I did set it up for me, but find I also do most training by feel now with the addition of reading my current heart rate on the watch. Like Anna said about some other options the set up and instructions can be tedious and confusing, but it works once you get that far.

- Todd

2014-06-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

Master
St. Louis
George - I think you'll like the aero bars. It really takes the burden off your back and arms and allows you to relax your upper body while riding.nice long swim BTW!

Rebecca - let us know how your tri went. Ditto for Nicole.

Carlo - I rest at least one day a week and back off every third or fourth week. Proper rest is just as important as working out.

Chris - nice on the bike fit. Proper fit and saddle make riding a lot more enjoyable.

Anna - more biking on the course will make the run better for sure. Don't worry about time on the run, think about enjoying it. It will make your race a lot more fun.
2014-06-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: trei

User image

Originally posted by trei

Gary, I have a Timex ironman watch with heart rate zone alarms. There are different models of those watches, so make sure you get the features you want. I did set it up for me, but find I also do most training by feel now with the addition of reading my current heart rate on the watch. Like Anna said about some other options the set up and instructions can be tedious and confusing, but it works once you get that far.

- Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the input. I had looked at a few Timex models. Which one do you have, and would you recommend it?
2014-06-29 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Race report posted!

Hoping for a massage and going to bed. Later, everyone!

2014-06-30 2:24 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Enjoy the massage and sleep. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38018 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73357 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.