BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-10 5:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by TankBoy

Good Luck Nicole!

X2!

there timing system seems "difficult" and IMLive isn't working but I think she was 7th out of the water and 5th out of T1

Swim times seem a little slow. Barbara Riveros, a top ITU female swam in 28. Lat year she was 25.

Her strength is the bike.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-10 5:17 AM

2016-01-10 6:34 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Originally posted by Scott71

I have a question for the group. I live in cold climates and now am doing lots of treadmill running. I've been running lately a 2% grade minimum at all times. What do others set as the minimum inclination? I want to mimic outside running as best I can. Jim

For easy runs, I set it at a 1% grade.  To mimic hills, I'll set it between 4 and 6 depending on how I'm feeling and do 2.5 minute sets with 2.5 minutes rest back down at 1 or even 0.

FYI treadmill speeds are notoriously inaccurate.  I use the Garmin foot pod (which tracks pretty closely with my GPS outdoors) and my Xterra treadmill seems to be operating about 20 to 25 seconds faster per km.

Same here, use of the Garmin foot pod (old SDM3) seems to be help. Too bad my battery expired some time this week.
2016-01-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Thanks for the update, Marc. I am getting no tracking info either. Sounds like a strong start though - go Nicole!
2016-01-10 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marcag

Good Luck Nicole!

X2!

there timing system seems "difficult" and IMLive isn't working but I think she was 7th out of the water and 5th out of T1

Swim times seem a little slow. Barbara Riveros, a top ITU female swam in 28. Lat year she was 25.

Mistake. she was 5th fastest in T1 but ptobably still 7th OA.
No bike splits
2016-01-10 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good Luck Nicole!

X2!

Mistake. she was 5th fastest in T1 but ptobably still 7th OA.
No bike splits

Tracker says she CRUSHED the bike. Third fastest bike split. 12min off the pros
2016-01-10 7:57 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-thanks for the updates...sounds like she is having a great race. Go Nicole!

2016-01-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran

Marc-thanks for the updates...sounds like she is having a great race. Go Nicole!

There are no run splits, but she started the run in 4th place and is half way through it at this point

2016-01-10 10:02 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ironman is reporting a finish time of 5:55:03, 6th in AG! with a 2:02:34 run split, I figure that is awesome with almost nothing but aqua-jogging to get her there. Way to go, Nicole - can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

2016-01-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ironman is reporting a finish time of 5:55:03, 6th in AG! with a 2:02:34 run split, I figure that is awesome with almost nothing but aqua-jogging to get her there. Way to go, Nicole - can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

She finished with a good run. Final position 6th in her AG, 31st overall including professionals. 3rd fastest bike in AG, 14th overall including professionals. Pretty darn good for a person that has only been running since Nov 1st. Way to go!!

Total time is wrong because of the TT style start. I think she is closer to 5:33
2016-01-10 10:47 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Awesome - thanks Marc, yeah - you gotta be right, swim time looks whacked. That or it was an uphill swim! Crazy great results, Nicole!
2016-01-10 1:28 PM

User image

Oakville

Well done Nicole! Fantastic race!

2016-01-10 2:34 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great work Nicole!

2016-01-10 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats Nicole - fabulous race! Somehow I missed that you were doing this in CHILE! Wow!!! How cool is that :-)

Meanwhile, back in the hills of Virginia, I waddled through another 4 mile run. Week 1 of 2016 is in the books. Better weeks ahead! Much weight to be lost, many miles to be recovered... on to week 2

Stu
2016-01-10 7:07 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello everyone.  I wussed out from riding outside this morning so the punishment was thrashing myself on the trainer/rollers.  Did a bunch of 1min/1min and 30sec/30 sec intervals at 115% FTP or higher.  I think I had close to 30 minutes total over the 1.5 hours. Then late this afternoon I got back on the bike for 20 minutes for an easy spin.... 20 mins to hit my weekly Strava goal of 100 miles.  Yeah, a bit obsessive but what the hell.

Wife and I went and saw The Big Short yesterday.  Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

2016-01-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: #5158356

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Excellent work Nicole. That is the kind of result we all are working for and you just went out and did it. Way to go.
2016-01-11 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wife and I went and saw The Big Short yesterday.  Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

I saw that during the holidays. It is very good. Actually it's excellent!
BUT it is scary because you realize just how fragile and artificial some things really are. If only that movie was fiction. But it isn't.
People can argue that it can't happen. But it did and we were lucky we survived it.

2016-01-11 6:43 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by slornow Wife and I went and saw The Big Short yesterday.  Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

I saw that during the holidays. It is very good. Actually it's excellent! BUT it is scary because you realize just how fragile and artificial some things really are. If only that movie was fiction. But it isn't. People can argue that it can't happen. But it did and we were lucky we survived it.

It was very scary and many of the safety measures put in place to keep  it from happening again are being eroded.  I liked how they explained the more complicated concepts with the segments with TV/movie stars explaining them.  Although, I must admit I had a difficult time focusing on anything Margot Robbie said while she was in the bubble bath.

2016-01-11 6:51 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by slornow Wife and I went and saw The Big Short yesterday.  Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

I saw that during the holidays. It is very good. Actually it's excellent! BUT it is scary because you realize just how fragile and artificial some things really are. If only that movie was fiction. But it isn't. People can argue that it can't happen. But it did and we were lucky we survived it.

It was very scary and many of the safety measures put in place to keep  it from happening again are being eroded.  I liked how they explained the more complicated concepts with the segments with TV/movie stars explaining them.  Although, I must admit I had a difficult time focusing on anything Margot Robbie said while she was in the bubble bath.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Steering into potential political conversation: off limits in the group.

But that said, I too really enjoyed the cameos by Selena Gomez, Anthony Bourdain, and Margot Robbie. As a device, I thought it was brilliant.

2016-01-11 6:59 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

And while I know I am getting zero sympathy from the Canadians, that will not stop me from whining just a little bit about having to run in 22F/-6C temps this morning.

2016-01-11 7:39 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Steering into potential political conversation: off limits in the group.

But that said, I too really enjoyed the cameos by Selena Gomez, Anthony Bourdain, and Margot Robbie. As a device, I thought it was brilliant.

HaHa...thought about that and tried to keep  things generic.   Don't want to break any rules.

2016-01-11 7:46 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Question for the group.  

I am due for some new running shoes.  I have been through many brands and types but have found that I like a fairly light shoe with decent cushoning and  some stability.  I have been running in Saucony Mirage III and really like those...bought a couple of pairs as they were being discontinued as I think they are up to the Mirage 5 now. Not crazy about the changes in the model.  Also been running in Nike Lunar Glide 6.  I like it OK and much more now than I did initially.  I have run in Hoka  Bondi as well and like them fine but not ready to do all running in them and the last pair seemed to wear quickly. Anyone have a shoe that they really like consistent with what I am looking for or any other shoes that are at the top of the heap for you?.

2016-01-11 8:09 AM

User image

Oakville

Question for the group.  

I am due for some new running shoes.  I have been through many brands and types but have found that I like a fairly light shoe with decent cushoning and  some stability.  I have been running in Saucony Mirage III and really like those...bought a couple of pairs as they were being discontinued as I think they are up to the Mirage 5 now. Not crazy about the changes in the model.  Also been running in Nike Lunar Glide 6.  I like it OK and much more now than I did initially.  I have run in Hoka  Bondi as well and like them fine but not ready to do all running in them and the last pair seemed to wear quickly. Anyone have a shoe that they really like consistent with what I am looking for or any other shoes that are at the top of the heap for you?.

I really like the Saucony Kinvara, but it is quite a bit lighter than the Mirage and so may be more of a race shoe than a day-to-day training shoe.  Personally, I do all of my treadmill running in my Kinvaras.

It has a surprising amount of cushion for such a light shoe though and is recommended for any distance, including marathons.

I'm nearing the end of my Kinvara 4s but was so impressed that I have a pair of Kinvara 5s waiting to replace them.   

2016-01-11 8:40 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
REST DAY! WOOOT!!

Way to go Nicole!!

Rock on peeps.!
2016-01-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #5160893

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm a huge Kinvara fan as well. I loved the 4 and am very ambivalent about the 5. Looking forward to trying the 6. I'm not sure it has everything you are looking for but it really does offer a surprising amount of cushioning.

The other shoe that I am using a lot recently is the Hoka Huaka. I have been quite disappointed in the last two versions of the Bondi but I love the Huaka. Got them on closeout for $49 per pair. Wish I would have bought three or four pairs but who knew i would like them so much. If you can find them in your size they would definitely be worth trying at that price.

Like Stuart, I am currently hanging out in paradise on Grand Cayman island. They have spin bikes and and open ocean so training continues. Life is pretty good right now.
2016-01-11 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Great day in Sac yesterday. Got out for a 2 hour bike ride. Here is a picture from my ride. This is where I would normally get in my open water swims. Folsom Lake is so far away from the normal shoreline it is crazy. This is where there are local triathlons - going to make for a long T1!

Edited by BMiller71 2016-01-11 10:17 AM

(IMG_1370.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1370.JPG (2464KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57250 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.