General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-05-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3501549

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
spudone - 2011-05-16 9:53 AM

I do this a little differently.  If you just purchased a new set of tires, it's good to get them mounted with butyl tubes well in advance of the race, and do some riding or even just let them sit for a few weeks.  You want them to stretch out.  Removing / remounting a brand new tire can be a royal pain.  Case in point: when I got my 808s I went for a "test ride" and found myself trying to fix a flat on a tire that wouldn't even curve to the rim yet.

Once the tire itself is settled for awhile, then refer back to what Josh wrote.  Get the latex tubes in there maybe ~10 days before race time and ride some miles to make sure everything is working properly.

I completely agree with the recommendation to get them on wheels with any tube you can find ASAP, to get them stretched out before you may need to change a flat on the side of the road with them. I put Mondo Open Tubulars on my Zipp clinchers a couple of months ago, and my thumbs have only recently recovered from the first two installs (I blew a tube, so had to do one of them twice). After they were inflated on wheels for a couple of weeks, they went on much easier when I put latex tubes in and have been fine since. I agree with Josh on the approach after you do your latex tube install - an hour or two ride should be plenty to get you confident in your setup, then you're ready for the race.

2011-05-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Regular

It wasn't the greatest week for me, had trouble with motivation this week (the crappy weather here in MN didn't help, cold and rainy) but I am ready to go this week. Plus I am volunteering at the IMTX this weekend, so some up close in person motivation will be seen!

Swim- 2h 6,300 yards

Bike-5h50m 107 miles

Run-3h20m 16.7 miles

Have a great week everyone

2011-05-16 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Dana Point <b></b>(Behind the Squall<b></b>)

Here is a photo I took from my ride yesterday. When I got to Capo Beach, it started to mist, then rain, then rain hard. Behind the Palm Trees in the distance (Over the water) is the totally obscured Headland of Dana Point. (Hidden by a curtain of rain from the Squall)

I took shelter under the lee of an outbuilding and waited for the worst of it to pass. (Just a few minutes) It was off and on like this for the next 30 miles of my ride before it cleared up.
2011-05-16 12:58 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado

Thanks for the tube/tire detail -- I wouldn't have thought to give breakin time with butyl tubes. 

This could be a repeat question, but I couldn't find a specific answer - "bike shipping"  So the way I'm reading this is that I'll need to pack my bike in a case ship via FedEx or UPS to a location specified by Iron Bikes and for $225 they'll assemble/tune and have it available for pick-up prior to to race checkin -  and then repack and ship to return address.  Under this scenario I would pay for shipping each way and the ironbikes service (the real question is "does the $225 include shipping?").

I just got off the phone with Frontier Airlines and they've recently changed their baggage policy to include bikes as standard cargo luggage (in other words, $20 each way).  Now if the $225 includes shipping, it may be worth the hassle factor...does anyone know?  Thanks, Cam

2011-05-16 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Old Pacific Hwy Route

Here is what it looked like on the way back. The wind was blowing about 20 knots to the south (Big Tail Wind) and I was flying all down the Old Pacific Hwy. (It is just a bike path now, replaced by Interstate 5)

For those who have done Ironman California, this is about mile 20 on the bike course. On race day, there is a water stop at the base of the hill. (The course goes North through here
2011-05-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3501922

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

WaterDog66 - 2011-05-16 10:56 AM Dana Point <b></b>(Behind the Squall<b></b>)

Here is a photo I took from my ride yesterday. When I got to Capo Beach, it started to mist, then rain, then rain hard. Behind the Palm Trees in the distance (Over the water) is the totally obscured Headland of Dana Point. (Hidden by a curtain of rain from the Squall)

I took shelter under the lee of an outbuilding and waited for the worst of it to pass. (Just a few minutes) It was off and on like this for the next 30 miles of my ride before it cleared up.

I got caught in that, too, though I was running.  Don't think we'll get any sympathy from the Pacific Northwest folks, who have had a hell of a year.  Snow, rain, hail, etc.   Here's my pic:

(photo-37.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
photo-37.jpg (61KB - 5 downloads)

2011-05-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3501928

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
cam111 - 2011-05-16 10:58 AM

Thanks for the tube/tire detail -- I wouldn't have thought to give breakin time with butyl tubes. 

This could be a repeat question, but I couldn't find a specific answer - "bike shipping"  So the way I'm reading this is that I'll need to pack my bike in a case ship via FedEx or UPS to a location specified by Iron Bikes and for $225 they'll assemble/tune and have it available for pick-up prior to to race checkin -  and then repack and ship to return address.  Under this scenario I would pay for shipping each way and the ironbikes service (the real question is "does the $225 include shipping?").

I just got off the phone with Frontier Airlines and they've recently changed their baggage policy to include bikes as standard cargo luggage (in other words, $20 each way).  Now if the $225 includes shipping, it may be worth the hassle factor...does anyone know?  Thanks, Cam

Tri Bike Transport Does not disassemble your bike. They just pack it on a truck. You prep the bike by removing the pedals and wrapping carbon with Bubble Wrap. The only bummer is that depending on where the race is to where you live, you might have to give up your bike a week or more in advance. 

I am not sure, but I would guess Iron Bikes does something similar. (Never used them) Tri Bikes gets my business again mostly because my LBS (The Dropoff Point) also does a tuneup before shipment. 

Edited by WaterDog66 2011-05-16 1:05 PM
2011-05-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3501947

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
nerdjock - 2011-05-16 11:03 AM

I got caught in that, too, though I was running.  Don't think we'll get any sympathy from the Pacific Northwest folks, who have had a hell of a year.  Snow, rain, hail, etc. 

Yeah, we get so few foul weather training days here that it is usually time to celebrate when it does happen. At least we have a full menu of awesome hill climbs and plenty of warm days even in January.

Love the pic from Cardiff Reef. I run/ride through there all the time on my commute. 
2011-05-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3501955

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
WaterDog66 - 2011-05-16 11:04 AM
cam111 - 2011-05-16 10:58 AM

Tri Bike Transport Does not disassemble your bike. They just pack it on a truck. You prep the bike by removing the pedals and wrapping carbon with Bubble Wrap. The only bummer is that depending on where the race is to where you live, you might have to give up your bike a week or more in advance. 

I am not sure, but I would guess Iron Bikes does something similar. (Never used them) Tri Bikes gets my business again mostly because my LBS (The Dropoff Point) also does a tuneup before shipment. 

$20 each way is great for flying your bike of course on top of that:
- You need a bike case
- You need to take apart/put back together your bike
- Make sure you rented a big enough car to take bike case, luggage, family to/from airport
- Haul bike case around with you along with luggage and family

All manageable; just take it all in consideration.

@Waterdog66 - Hi!  I've never wrapped my bike in bubble wrap, only taken the pedals off.  Are you supposed to or is that something you just do becasue you love your bike?
2011-05-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3501988

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
PGoldberger - 2011-05-16 11:14 AM 

@Waterdog66 - Hi!  I've never wrapped my bike in bubble wrap, only taken the pedals off.  Are you supposed to or is that something you just do becasue you love your bike?

Hey Paul, missed seeing you at IMCal this year. I saw Chris and a few others though. (Had lunch with Chris and his DW)

You don't have to wrap in bubble wrap, they use furniture pads between the bikes, but just to be safe, I usually bubble wrap the frame.

Edited by WaterDog66 2011-05-16 1:18 PM
2011-05-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3501329

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-05-15 7:28 PM

cam111 - 2011-05-14 10:10 AM Picked up a set of mondo (21 front 23 rear) open clinchers with specialized turbolite latex tubes. Any suggestions on breakin time and miles to ensure that there are no issues?Also anyone have a recommendation for brand/model of neoprene cap?Thx. C

I'd recommend one short ride just to make sure they are good, and one longer ride to give any problems time to show up.  Realistically, the only problem you might have is an improper latex tube install.  Triple check your installation there (make sure tube is not pinched between rim and bead of tire).  The other latex tube failure point is with a gap in rim tape or a small burr on the rim somewhere.  Because latex is so much more flexible, it will search out any little spaces and fill them... and if that means they can get to a spoke hole they'll go into the rim through the hole and flat.

But if you put 75 ish miles on them, you can feel good that if there was a problem it would have shown up by then.  Also some tires test slightly faster being very lightly used than brand new.  Of course you want to balance that with not putting unnecessary wear on your new race tires before race day.

If you don't have dedicated race wheels, this discussion gets more complicated... because your test ride should be the last ride on the tires/tubes before you race.  In other words if you switch back to butyl and training tires, then you run the risk of an install problem again when you switch back over to latex/racing.  The point here is that after you verify your race tires/tubes/wheels are in good working order, you want to keep them as is until race day.  Almost everyone does a last short ride at the race site to make sure everything is working fine... but that ride is probably not long enough for me to feel confident if I just switched back over to latex/race unless those have been sitting on race wheels unused the whole time.

If you're on one set of race/training wheels, I'd just put on the race tubes/tires about 10 days out from the race and ride only that until race day.

Thanks guys for all the advice on the tubes/tires!! I am going through the process of buying tires/tubes for a new set of wheels.

2011-05-16 2:19 PM

User image

Elite
SE
you guys are throwing down some mega volume and training in some killer locations! I had a good day taking clydes at Rev3Knox with 15Step. We battled lots of hills and technical descents on the bike that I figure will have to help in Idaho. The run was also hilly so that can't hurt. I got absolutely crushed in the swim, so I reckon I will stay to the side or back in IMCDA rather than upfront where I was treated like a rag doll in the water.
2011-05-16 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3502175

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
phatknot - 2011-05-16 12:19 PM I got absolutely crushed in the swim, so I reckon I will stay to the side or back in IMCDA rather than upfront where I was treated like a rag doll in the water.

Or you could line up in the middle of the scrum, and draft off of the fasties. As long as you don't mind getting checked into the boards a few times on the first lap, it is a great way to fly :D

Seriously, we regularly practice drafting off of each other during our open water swims. It really is a great way to conserve energy on race day. I had an awesome swim time in LP mostly because I spent almost the whole first lap right on the feet of a faster swimmer.  
2011-05-16 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3502175

User image

Regular
Madison, AL

What were your splits phat?

Buddy of mine did that and pulled a 5:15 out, but had a 43 min swim split.  He's closer to a 35 min swimmer so I expect the swim was tough.

2011-05-16 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3502468

User image

Elite
SE

My swim was even worse haha! But thankfully that was not my target for the day (a solid run was). from my blog today:

I feel sore as you would after a HIM....Word is the swim was 1.55 mi and bike was a mile long too. All in all a great training day on a perfect weather day but very challenging course (5:13:47).

My splits were:

Swim: 46:39 (awful first 5-600 meters due to poor self seeding then getting clobbered by my wave then the next 1-2 waves in choppy water).

Bike: 2:46 (20.5 268w (target 270) on a challenging hilly technical course)

Run: 1:36 (7:22 pace includes a stop- PR for distance at HIM on rolling course-Strong throughout)

T1: 2:07

T2: 1:44

2011-05-16 5:16 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Nice training everyone!   I am seriously impressed with the numbers everyone is putting up.   I had an unintentional step-back week:

S:  
9400.00 Yd
3h 42m
B: 
145.00 Mi
8h 57m
R:  
28.85 Mi
4h 04m 23s

It was unintentional because I was seriously lacking motivation   Glad to see I'm not the only one asking "is it taper yet?".  The good news is after taking Friday off work to train, I not only got in an awesome Friel-style "big day" (lacking a longer run, unfortunately), but I was able to take the majority of Saturday to spend with my husband doing all sorts of fun things we don't have time for anymore.   The result is I'm feeling much more motivated to hit it hard these next 3 weeks. 

I have a quick question about changing tents for all you IM vets.  I'm considering using my comfy Pearl Izumi bike shorts for the ride, but the chamois on them would really annoy me during the marathon.  If I'm planning on changing in both T1 and T2, how much time can I expect to lose in the process?  Are there adequate tents for everyone to use at once?  Do you end up having to wait in a line?  Are they conveniently located in transition so you're not running all over the place to find them?

As always, your advice and answers are much appreciated!

2011-05-16 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

I'm finally pulling my azz off the couch from this past weekend long enough to post here.  Whew, despite a lower volume training plan than originally planned, I'm still feeling WIPED out!

I've gotta publicly thank Bonnie (leopard8996) for sticking with me on our long ride on Saturday.  I've had some serious motivation issues and if she weren't out there "chaperoning" me, I would have bailed around the 60 mile mark.  The people I have met through BT are truely awesome!  I can't wait to meet more of you next month.

And guess what I just realized?  I've been training on my 12-25 instead of 12-27.  YEAH for an extra gear on race day!  I'm also going in tonight for a bike tune-up, schedule a fit (long overdue, and yes I know, a little too close to race day), and do some wetsuit shopping (long overdue, and yes I know, a little too close to race day...sensing a theme?).

Nice training y'all!!!!

2011-05-16 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3502636

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I am just gonna brag on me for a moment.

I just hit my race weight, fully hydrated.  58.9% Hydration on the Tanita.

My race weight btw is 185.

Last week was a stabilizer: 11 .5 hours.

2011-05-16 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3502513

Champion
No excuses!
phatknot - 2011-05-16 6:01 PM

My swim was even worse haha! But thankfully that was not my target for the day (a solid run was). from my blog today:

I feel sore as you would after a HIM....Word is the swim was 1.55 mi and bike was a mile long too. All in all a great training day on a perfect weather day but very challenging course (5:13:47).

My splits were:

Swim: 46:39 (awful first 5-600 meters due to poor self seeding then getting clobbered by my wave then the next 1-2 waves in choppy water).

Bike: 2:46 (20.5 268w (target 270) on a challenging hilly technical course)

Run: 1:36 (7:22 pace includes a stop- PR for distance at HIM on rolling course-Strong throughout)

T1: 2:07

T2: 1:44

Great race!

2011-05-16 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3501947

Champion
No excuses!
nerdjock - 2011-05-16 2:03 PM

WaterDog66 - 2011-05-16 10:56 AM Dana Point <b></b>(Behind the Squall<b></b>)

I got caught in that, too, though I was running.  Don't think we'll get any sympathy from the Pacific Northwest folks, who have had a hell of a year.  Snow, rain, hail, etc.   Here's my pic:

You have a ton of sympathy coming from the midwest and northeast folks too. Maybe I should post pics from my long ride on Friday, too bad the computer won't allow for the beautiful smells of fresh spread manure in the fields. Oh gotta love farm country Laughing

2011-05-16 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3502792

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
pga_mike - 2011-05-16 8:59 PM

Sweeeeet.  And you have a month to lose 5 more and be even faster

2011-05-16 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3497958

New user

Seattle

I was in CDA this past weekend. I rode the bike course and ran the new run route... also took a very short dip in the water following both Saturday's bike and Sunday mornings run...

Saturday was a gorgeous day... but not to ride.  82 degrees and VERY Windy... which made for a really rough ride out to the turnaround on CDA Lake Rd. and then made for a few tough ascents up English Point Road and then some of the rollers out by the turnaround were directly into the wind... the ride back into town along Maple, 4th and Gov. Way were all directly into the wind off the lake.

Sunday - early morning run... 16 miles out and back - to get a feel for the new route... it's much different from what I had heard about or expected.  The long hill back from the turnaround is much longer than I expected it to be... even though I had just ridden the exact same route the day before (it was just different running then riding) and definitely steep.  It'll make for a good challenge on the 2nd lap.

Saturday water temp was 47.8 using a meat thermometer about 20 feet the Park beach. Sunday after the nice warm Saturday sun had done some work -  it had risen to 49.2. It was definitely cold and even as hot as I was after my ride on Saturday I could only stay in the water about 2 minutes... refreshing would be an exageration.  Frigid would be much more accurate.

Happy to give some more details on ride or run route for anyone that is interested.

2011-05-17 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3503060

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-05-16 8:56 AM
pga_mike - 2011-05-16 8:59 PM

Sweeeeet.  And you have a month to lose 5 more and be even faster

LOL!!  Speaking of weight, I have been shedding weight (and muscle) like crazy!  I use to be about 187 and now I am down to 163.  After a workout I was at 159.   I hope losing this weight makes me faster.  :-)

2011-05-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3503103

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
wa.tim - 2011-05-17 12:41 AM

Happy to give some more details on ride or run route for anyone that is interested.

Is the run map on the IMCdA website accurate for the "new" run?

I know that FL 70.3 changed this run for this weekend and it was not what was on the website.  Not that I'm complaining as it was a better route but come on, how hard is it to post a new map?

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-05-17 10:40 AM
2011-05-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3502792

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
pga_mike - 2011-05-16 5:59 PM

Awesome work Mike. With 4 more weeks of hard training before taper time, it seems like your training is coming along nicely.  
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171