BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-11 3:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Great job Adrienne!

I was also wondering if the ice climbing helped you prepare for the marathon?

2014-12-11 7:48 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-11 7:55 PM
in reply to: Beer League Champ

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-11 8:46 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Sounds like a busy week ahead Beer League Champ.

I hope all goes smoothly.

2014-12-12 7:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Beer League Champ Got sucked in by a troll over the last few days, who then launched a complaint about me here. Mistakes were made on my part for sure, but the definition of an internet bully its someone who pokes and pokes until you react. Then u are the bad guy. Lessons learned, but sort of pizzed about it all. I work this weekend, then move to a new house Monday, travel to Georgia Monday evening... Too busy to get involved with internet trolls... But the good ones know how to suck u in don't they? :-(

Do you have trouble with "wet paint" signs as well, Mr D?

2014-12-12 10:42 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
...at home in The ATL

Well, since everyone else is coming back out of the weeds, I suppose I should as well. I sympathize with the others - In October and November I had a scheduled unstructured block due to work travel and general other busy-ness. I completed my last trip 4 weeks ago and was ready to get going and then two days later came down with a pretty nasty cold, which I (of course!) ignored. So then I go an even nastier bacterial co-infection and was officially down-for-the count for two more weeks. And found myself 9% over race weight thanks to not a lot of training combined with too many lunches and dinners with clients and donors. I am working on that, but ah, well - generally it has been a good year!

I just met with my coach and have a tentative schedule put together for next year that includes 7 running races, 4 timed cycling events, 2 duathlons, and 7 triathlons. All regional stuff (except AG nationals). This is fairly similar to last year's schedule, but I am interested to see if I can pull it off as we are also about to move out of our house for a renovation that is slated to take about 10 months. Since I am both an architect AND a builder, you can probably imagine how much time that is going to involve, even though I am doing very little of the construction myself. Fred, I am VERY envious that you are finished up and moving in this week - I can't wait to get there! And thanks for doing so much leg-work on the training/entertainment system front - that is on my list to get together for our own "pain cave," although hopefully it won't be very cave-like - ha-ha.

Right now I am working through my first-ever legit strength block. At 49 years old I figured it was actually time to take it seriously. I am working with Andrew Johnston, who wrote the book "Holistic Strength Training for Triathletes." It is great as his studio is just 5 minutes from the house. Andrew is super, but the training is honestly not that much fun (heck, I just like to swim, bike and run!) but I am committed to do it consistently and see how it may impact my training and racing goals for next year. The next 4 days are slammed with work travel, but then I should be wrapped up for the year for the most part and I will be officially on it.

Inspired by Salty, this Sunday I plan to run up a mountain.

2014-12-12 10:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Beer League Champ Got sucked in by a troll over the last few days, who then launched a complaint about me here. Mistakes were made on my part for sure, but the definition of an internet bully its someone who pokes and pokes until you react. Then u are the bad guy. Lessons learned, but sort of pizzed about it all. I work this weekend, then move to a new house Monday, travel to Georgia Monday evening... Too busy to get involved with internet trolls... But the good ones know how to suck u in don't they? :-(

Ha-ha too funny Ben. Fred, you do need to learn to leave that poor old man alone. He just really is kinda pitiful.

2014-12-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
, California

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by brigby1

Ha-ha too funny Ben. Fred, you do need to learn to leave that poor old man alone. He just really is kinda pitiful.

Now might be a good time for a "STAY OUT OF TT!" reminder

2014-12-12 12:29 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by spudone

Now might be a good time for a "STAY OUT OF TT!" reminder

I don't get it? Why? I must have a very thick skin........
2014-12-12 12:40 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, since everyone else is coming back out of the weeds, I suppose I should as well. I sympathize with the others - In October and November I had a scheduled unstructured block due to work travel and general other busy-ness. I completed my last trip 4 weeks ago and was ready to get going and then two days later came down with a pretty nasty cold, which I (of course!) ignored. So then I go an even nastier bacterial co-infection and was officially down-for-the count for two more weeks. And found myself 9% over race weight thanks to not a lot of training combined with too many lunches and dinners with clients and donors. I am working on that, but ah, well - generally it has been a good year!

I just met with my coach and have a tentative schedule put together for next year that includes 7 running races, 4 timed cycling events, 2 duathlons, and 7 triathlons. All regional stuff (except AG nationals). This is fairly similar to last year's schedule, but I am interested to see if I can pull it off as we are also about to move out of our house for a renovation that is slated to take about 10 months. Since I am both an architect AND a builder, you can probably imagine how much time that is going to involve, even though I am doing very little of the construction myself. Fred, I am VERY envious that you are finished up and moving in this week - I can't wait to get there! And thanks for doing so much leg-work on the training/entertainment system front - that is on my list to get together for our own "pain cave," although hopefully it won't be very cave-like - ha-ha.

Right now I am working through my first-ever legit strength block. At 49 years old I figured it was actually time to take it seriously. I am working with Andrew Johnston, who wrote the book "Holistic Strength Training for Triathletes." It is great as his studio is just 5 minutes from the house. Andrew is super, but the training is honestly not that much fun (heck, I just like to swim, bike and run!) but I am committed to do it consistently and see how it may impact my training and racing goals for next year. The next 4 days are slammed with work travel, but then I should be wrapped up for the year for the most part and I will be officially on it.

Wow - and here I thought it was just yours truly who had fallen off for a bit.  Makes me feel better to know that others (several who have popped back up even in the last few weeks) shut it down on occasion (intentionally or otherwise) and still come back.  Honestly, I was starting to worry if I'd lost my race-mojo and was tilting toward just exercising (still love that part of it, but am once again getting psyched to race - both running and tri).  Nothing wrong with that, but felt a bit off for me.

As for the strength work, I'll be curious to hear how that affects your season, as I'm approaching that same august age (although you'll age up a couple years before me!).  Last year I spent a goodly time running hills, as my local track was frozen under a small glacier and I needed to do some speed work, and felt that it really helped with the endurance at the end of longer races.

Let us know, and thanks for putting in the painful work (and then reporting on it here). 

Matt

2014-12-12 1:32 PM

Seattle

Originally posted by BrotherTri Great job Adrienne! I was also wondering if the ice climbing helped you prepare for the marathon?

Oh yes, for sure. Well, almost all of the climbing I did was actually mountain running except for the technical parts. And these types of strength workouts should generally be part of any plan (of course a mountain is on the more extreme end of the hill workout spectrum.) If it were just strictly climbing/hiking I would be less inclined to say yes.

Of course these workouts might not have always been the most bang for my buck but I really enjoyed it.  And that was a priority.

2014-12-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Wow - and here I thought it was just yours truly who had fallen off for a bit.  Makes me feel better to know that others (several who have popped back up even in the last few weeks) shut it down on occasion (intentionally or otherwise) and still come back.  Honestly, I was starting to worry if I'd lost my race-mojo and was tilting toward just exercising (still love that part of it, but am once again getting psyched to race - both running and tri).  Nothing wrong with that, but felt a bit off for me.

As for the strength work, I'll be curious to hear how that affects your season, as I'm approaching that same august age (although you'll age up a couple years before me!).  Last year I spent a goodly time running hills, as my local track was frozen under a small glacier and I needed to do some speed work, and felt that it really helped with the endurance at the end of longer races.

Let us know, and thanks for putting in the painful work (and then reporting on it here). 

Matt

I know Matt - you are the one that started this little tidal wave! My wagon always comes unhitched when school starts back up in late August - My fall semester is always jammed with travel for lectures, fund raising, and recruiting (all good, fun stuff, but training and eating well sure takes the back burner). I was somehow able to keep it together this year almost through October before the wheels flew completely off. I am always impressed with how some folks (you all know who you are!) are able to keep it together month after month no matter what is going on in your lives, and very much appreciate you keeping the group going - I keep up via email updates everyday. I hardly ever really get demotivated to train, which actually makes these breaks kinda tough to deal with. This go round I also wound up with some tendinosis in my right elbow brought on not by training stress, but actually by schlepping a rollaboard around every day, at least according to my doc. Go figure. The PT for it has been down-right awful. It has involved a small, hand-held pneumatic jack hammer applied right where the tendon connects to the bone. The doc says it works sort of like a meat tenderizer. Awesome. getting back to some regular swimming actually seems to be helping it as well, thankfully. I was afraid it would be the opposite.

I will definitely let you know how the strength training goes. The fun stuff is all the over gear hill climbing on the bike and the bounding hills and hill sprint work on the run. The gym stuff not so much. But at least when I look like Charles Atlas no one will kick sand in my face at the beach anymore.

2014-12-12 2:31 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rusty, You wouldn't be doing the assault on Mt Mitchel again would you?

2014-12-12 2:55 PM

Extreme Veteran

Matt

I know Matt - you are the one that started this little tidal wave! My wagon always comes unhitched when school starts back up in late August - My fall semester is always jammed with travel for lectures, fund raising, and recruiting (all good, fun stuff, but training and eating well sure takes the back burner). I was somehow able to keep it together this year almost through October before the wheels flew completely off. I am always impressed with how some folks (you all know who you are!) are able to keep it together month after month no matter what is going on in your lives, and very much appreciate you keeping the group going - I keep up via email updates everyday. I hardly ever really get demotivated to train, which actually makes these breaks kinda tough to deal with. This go round I also wound up with some tendinosis in my right elbow brought on not by training stress, but actually by schlepping a rollaboard around every day, at least according to my doc. Go figure. The PT for it has been down-right awful. It has involved a small, hand-held pneumatic jack hammer applied right where the tendon connects to the bone. The doc says it works sort of like a meat tenderizer. Awesome. getting back to some regular swimming actually seems to be helping it as well, thankfully. I was afraid it would be the opposite.

I will definitely let you know how the strength training goes. The fun stuff is all the over gear hill climbing on the bike and the bounding hills and hill sprint work on the run. The gym stuff not so much. But at least when I look like Charles Atlas no one will kick sand in my face at the beach anymore.

I just picked up a book called triathletes in motion by Marc Evans. Apparently it's a great resource for identifying and correcting strength issues, imbalances.....now I just have to read it.

How many people actually remember the Charles Atlas reference ? I remember my father having one of his books and the cartoon. That must be 45 years ago.
2014-12-12 3:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
, California

Originally posted by marcag

Matt

I just picked up a book called triathletes in motion by Marc Evans. Apparently it's a great resource for identifying and correcting strength issues, imbalances.....now I just have to read it. How many people actually remember the Charles Atlas reference ? I remember my father having one of his books and the cartoon. That must be 45 years ago.

I remembered it from ads in old comic books

2014-12-12 3:37 PM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by spudone

Matt

I just picked up a book called triathletes in motion by Marc Evans. Apparently it's a great resource for identifying and correcting strength issues, imbalances.....now I just have to read it. How many people actually remember the Charles Atlas reference ? I remember my father having one of his books and the cartoon. That must be 45 years ago.

I remembered it from ads in old comic books

x2

(which only means I'm old enough to now REALLY need to do it!)

2014-12-12 4:17 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

I thought the kicking sand in your face at the beach was an Archie comic thing....

2014-12-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
...at home in The ATL
The Tarzan Suit is the best:

2014-12-12 4:54 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

I just picked up a book called triathletes in motion by Marc Evans. Apparently it's a great resource for identifying and correcting strength issues, imbalances.....now I just have to read it.

Marc - that is one of the facets that Andrew has built his coaching and training business around. His book does not tell you how to assess those imbalances though - I suppose that would be bad for business - heh. It is funny: when I met with my coach yesterday he was telling me about Evan's book - he is reading it now. He says it is interesting, at least in light of the things Andrew has me working on. Most everything we are doing now are "corrective" exercises to work out some muscular imbalances and alignments before actually working on what most folks would think of as traditional strength stuff. It is a long process and doesn't promise any quick fixes, so I am going to try and be patient with it. But you know how us triathletes are - we want our issues fixed like, NOW, and generally are not interested in putting the work in. I am trying to take the long view this time around.

2014-12-12 5:06 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTriRusty, You wouldn't be doing the assault on Mt Mitchel again would you?

right now Mt. Mitchell is on the "Maybe" list. I am thinking to do Challenge (formerly Rev3) Knoxville Olympic again, but it is the day before Mt. Mitchell. I did an OLY two days before Mt. mitchell (Mitchell is on a Monday as they have to shut down a big portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway) last year and did great in both, but not sure how I would fare on back-to-back days. However if you or others are interested I could be persuaded. It really is one of those great "must-climb" routes.

2014-12-12 5:13 PM

Extreme Veteran

Marc - that is one of the facets that Andrew has built his coaching and training business around. His book does not tell you how to assess those imbalances though - I suppose that would be bad for business - heh. It is funny: when I met with my coach yesterday he was telling me about Evan's book - he is reading it now. He says it is interesting, at least in light of the things Andrew has me working on. Most everything we are doing now are "corrective" exercises to work out some muscular imbalances and alignments before actually working on what most folks would think of as traditional strength stuff. It is a long process and doesn't promise any quick fixes, so I am going to try and be patient with it. But you know how us triathletes are - we want our issues fixed like, NOW, and generally are not interested in putting the work in. I am trying to take the long view this time around.

Not sure I 100% understand, but Evans does tell you how to assess those imbalances and then how to correct them.

2014-12-12 5:18 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Not sure I 100% understand, but Evans does tell you how to assess those imbalances and then how to correct them.

Yup, that is what my coach was saying about Evan's book as well - that is why he was liking it better than Andrew's.

2014-12-12 10:15 PM

Seattle

Oh I wasn't aware you folks had mountains on the east coast
2014-12-12 10:58 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
We do! They are just really, really old and worn down. Not like those brand new, pointy baby mountains you have out west. :^)
2014-12-14 1:13 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Oh I wasn't aware you folks had mountains on the east coast

This is drawing me.......

http://www.s2striathlon.com/home.html

and the East coast has the Savageman triathlon one of the toughtest half's in the country. The bike goes 7 miles up Savage Mt which cross the Eastern Continental Divide. Which, in the 1st mile of the climb face a 31% grade. The West coast is challenge with these two triathlons.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38119 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73543 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.