Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-02-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3352031

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
badgerintx - 2011-02-12 2:55 PM
Terps421 - 2011-02-12 2:25 PM I got bit by a large Collie this morning near the Potomac River about 5 miles out. It was on my glutes! Yes, my @$$. I wish people supervise their dogs. I think this one will be sore for a while.

Linda

That sucks and must have been scary!  I hate loose dogs, flashes me back that movie:

that movie still haunts me from when I was a kid.

2011-02-12 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I read Cujo, but never saw the movie.   It was a darned scary book, but then again, all of King's stuff is scary.

What size frame did you get? 
2011-02-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3352242

User image

Chatham Ontario
50 cm.

I looked at the 48 and the 50 new and there was not really that much differance between them. I then found this USED (ridden twice) by a girl that lives about 375km away from me, For Half of the price of new. She bought it and thought she would enjoy doing triathlons as she was a mountain biker. After a couple times running she kept twisting her ankle and decided she just could not run. Tires still have some of the nipples on the rubber. She figures she put 100 km on the bike. Computer life time says 25km.

The bike sat all summer and she just decided to sell it and her mountain bike and buy a better mountain bike.

She included the look pedals, Cateye computer, spare tire and tube for $800 CND. It was hard to pass up. I am new to this sport so For an entry level bike I am very happy. Saved me enough money over the other bikes I was looking at that I went ahead and ordered a new wetsuit on sale as well.

There is a lot of work to do to the Engine on the bike that I could not justify buying a $2000-2500 carbon fiber bike.

I may make a few upgrades but for that price I paid I am fine with that. Def improvement in the 2010 105 group set vs last year. Not a fan of the 105 crank (from my own past history) But again left me a lot more money for other things.

Now if the SNOW would just go away so I could ride the thing.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-02-12 7:32 PM
2011-02-12 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3352177

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2011-02-12 5:40 PM Not intending to stir the pot but here goes:

As I was on my 30 mile ride this afternoon with my group, one of the group gals asked me if I were going to get a power tap.  My response was that I didn't think that I was going to be competitive enough to have to worry with a tap.

I understand that people have them and some people want to be the best that they can be and maybe a power tap would be of benefit.  But really how much will a power tap, coach, and a $4000 bike help us mere mortals that really are solid MOPers.

If the funds are no object, I would like to have a PT and a coach, but what would they accomplish...moving me up in the pack from 400th place to 375th?

Again...a quote from Suzy - "ride more"

Uhm, this is coming from the guy who wants to buy new wheels so he can be faster?

Here goes....

Yep, my first IM bike was long and I finished 51st in my AG, well below MOP......but, I finished 5th in my AG on the run and passed over 900 people. You know why?  Cause I trained and raced with power.  I knew how hard I could push myself on that bike to save myself for the run. It worked.  I am a novice biker, but don't intend to be forever.  Eventually I hope to put together a strong IM bike AND run (well, and the swim would be nice but I'm trying to live in reality.....) and I believe that continuing to use power will do that for me. 

Heart Rate lags effort so when strictly using a HRM you don't know when you are blowing up on a hill until it is too late.  With Watts it is so apparent. When I saw my Watts climbing beyond Z3 I backed off big time.  I spun up every major hill trying to keep my Watts as low as possible.  There were times I got my HR to drop doing it...That little sucker saved me massive energy.  I could go on, but I am sure that RP, Tony and Dino can add more value.

I would not dismiss any tool that is affordable to you even if you are MOP.  You will be more efficient in your training so I won't have to keep telling you to train harder and longer! 

PS. I will reiterate the same thing I said to DJ.  If you don't have a plan based on power, I take back everything I said above. 

2011-02-12 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3352216

User image

Champion
Techdiver - 2011-02-12 6:38 PM Well after many deals falling through. I found found my bike, bought it and went and picked it up today. Did an 800 km round trip drive to pick it up. Managed to drive through about 6 whiteout snow storms, considered turning around several times. I think my wife wanted me to turn around about 25 times.

I considered it when I had my car sideways doing about 60mph in the snow. Went around a bend with the sun shining and came into a whiteout snow storm and went sideways.... Ride home was nice and SUNNY and up to 29 degrees F by the time I got back home.

800 km  and 9 hours on the road and one picture in my basement later

Meet "STORM"

VERY NICE!! I love the coordination of the red in so many places, including part of the bar tape....so tell us the details.  Looks like SRAM, right?

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-02-12 7:40 PM
2011-02-12 7:48 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Details its a Felt S32 their entry level tri bike

Aluminum frame (lighter then my road bike I was suprised) Carbon fork. All stock components.

it is a Shimano 105 Drive train all around. Which the new rear derailer is apparently the old Dura-Ace but without light weight cogs. Looks much different then my old 105's from 5 years ago on my road bike.

Lots of adjustment for the bars, pads etc. The bull horn bars are Felts own brand they seem a bit thick and clunky compared to my friends stock Vision on her Cervelo. But again, I don't plan on changing them. 105 on this bike is a 10 speed my old 105 on my road bike is a 9 speed.

Bar end shifters are "Microshifter" or some name like that. They have managed to hit a lower pice point by using some CHEAPER components compared to many other manufactures. But to someone new like me I don't think I can appreciate paying more money to save a bit of weight at this point.

I dig the red accents as well. My NORCO road bike is similar Black and RED so my cloths match this bike.

I will likely upgrade the saddle. Seriously considering an ISM seat or a Cobb Seat. Anything but Stock.

It has LOOK Pedals (which are coming off) I want to put on same pedals as my road and mountain bike so I can use all the same shoes.

I am totally GEEKED.

Oh and all the TRI people around here ride Cervelo bikes... So I am please to be different.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-02-12 7:53 PM

2011-02-12 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3352266

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-02-12 5:35 PM

As I was on my 30 mile ride this afternoon with my group, one of the group gals asked me if I were going to get a power tap.  My response was that I didn't think that I was going to be competitive enough to have to worry with a tap.

I understand that people have them and some people want to be the best that they can be and maybe a power tap would be of benefit.  But really how much will a power tap, coach, and a $4000 bike help us mere mortals that really are solid MOPers.

If the funds are no object, I would like to have a PT and a coach, but what would they accomplish...moving me up in the pack from 400th place to 375th?

Uhm, this is coming from the guy who wants to buy new wheels so he can be faster?

Here goes....

Yep, my first IM bike was long and I finished 51st in my AG, well below MOP......but, I finished 5th in my AG on the run and passed over 900 people. You know why?  Cause I trained and raced with power.  I knew how hard I could push myself on that bike to save myself for the run. It worked.  I am a novice biker, but don't intend to be forever.  Eventually I hope to put together a strong IM bike AND run (well, and the swim would be nice but I'm trying to live in reality.....) and I believe that continuing to use power will do that for me. 

Heart Rate lags effort so when strictly using a HRM you don't know when you are blowing up on a hill until it is too late.  With Watts it is so apparent. When I saw my Watts climbing beyond Z3 I backed off big time.  I spun up every major hill trying to keep my Watts as low as possible.  There were times I got my HR to drop doing it...That little sucker saved me massive energy.  I could go on, but I am sure that RP, Tony and Dino can add more value.

I would not dismiss any tool that is affordable to you even if you are MOP.  You will be more efficient in your training so I won't have to keep telling you to train harder and longer! 

PS. I will reiterate the same thing I said to DJ.  If you don't have a plan based on power, I take back everything I said above. 

A note from the HR camp... Well, I didn't have the run I wanted but it wasn't because my legs were cooked, it was my stomach. Once that was settled I was fine. (And yeah, I guess you could argue that my tummy revolted due to bike effort but I won't buy it as I know how my body and legs were feeling and I know I did not leave too much out on the bike.) Anyway, I was going to say that I was able to use HR only on hills, but also because I KNOW MY BODY. I know what it feels like to mash up a hill, and I, too, was happy to spin in a nice, low gear and get passed by many peeps. My HR was actually lower my 2nd loop, which was the same speed as my first loop. I know that HR lags effort but I know how it feels to start breathing a bit harder and how to prevent that. So while I'd love to have and use power and a coach, I don't have the funds to apply to those things. So, making due with what I have, but trying to use what I have as intelligently as I can.
2011-02-12 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Wow, you guys have been busy today!  I took Ryan to the Chicago Auto Show this afternoon for his Valentine's Day gift.  Nothing says "I love you" like the chance to look at hundreds of cars, right?  I got a frozen Lou Malnati's pizza to eat for dinner tomorrow night though, so I'm not complaining about the day trip to Chi-town!  MMmmmm...

Anyway, back to the posts...

Linda - I hope you're feeling okay!  Was anybody around at all after it happened?  Nothing makes me more upset than an irresponsible dog owner because it makes all of us look bad!

Sam - NOICE run!!!  You can totally do this.  I'm so excited for you!

Chris - That's a hot bike.  I'm hoping for an early spring so you can use it!  Congrats!

With the convos about the powertap and the cassettes, I honestly know NOTHING about the science of bikes or working out or anything like that.  I couldn't tell you the size of my cassette right now or what size works better on what terrain.  We don't spend money on any extras, like wheels or componentry.  Until I prove to myself that I'm capable of doing well with what I have, I honestly don't find any of the extras necessary, nor do I even want them.  I'm just in it to have fun, and hopefully doing well is a side effect.  Even though I watch my HR monitor religiously, most of what I do is based on RPE.  I hope to become more familiar with some bike terms soon, but the other numbers just mean to me that I'll have more to put in my training log than I already do!  So I have very little input other than that!

I've been trying active recovery lately.  I don't think it's for me though!  I'm sore for the first time in a LONG time!  I think a lot of it is from my first treadmill run on Thursday because I haven't been on one in forever.  But I need to update my run frequency because I start my half-mary training plan on the 22nd!  Woo!
2011-02-12 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Techdiver - 2011-02-12 5:38 PM Well after many deals falling through. I found found my bike, bought it and went and picked it up today. Did an 800 km round trip drive to pick it up. Managed to drive through about 6 whiteout snow storms, considered turning around several times. I think my wife wanted me to turn around about 25 times.

I considered it when I had my car sideways doing about 60mph in the snow. Went around a bend with the sun shining and came into a whiteout snow storm and went sideways.... Ride home was nice and SUNNY and up to 29 degrees F by the time I got back home.

Meet "STORM"

Gorgeous
2011-02-12 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3351997

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Terps421 - 2011-02-12 3:25 PM I got bit by a large Collie this morning near the Potomac River about 5 miles out. It was on my glutes! Yes, my @$$. I wish people supervise their dogs. I think this one will be sore for a while.

Linda

You or the dog? 
2011-02-12 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Well Saturday is in the books

It start at 4:30am with a drive to La Junta an hour away for a 3,444.88yd swim. Then the drive back stopped at Community Bldg picked up some cone to mark the race course then back home to change and get ready for the 5k time was 21:58 icy roads made it kind of interesting. From there back home showered and changed loaded up the bike and back to La junta Son dropped me off and back home I rode for 60mile ride of the bike and 12min 1.5 miles transition run.

During the transition run my legs felt like 200 year old redwoods waterlogged but made it through.

So I think I am finally tired

I hope every one had a productive weekend

2011-02-13 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Chris - Damn hot sweet bike!! :-)  I'm going to save up for a while, and then get a Tri bike of my own. I rather be in the sport for a few years before springing on a bike.  I spent a lot on my own road bike (mix carbon/alum, all Ulterga components, and it was the high end "fitness" bike from Jamis). 

Are you looking to get rid of your Look Pedals? Can I take them off your hands?  My pedals aren't bad, but they've taken a lot of beatings. Not sure if the your pedals will be better though. I got the cheapest kind (I'm a bit of a tightwad at times). 

As for the dog bite - I got bit by a dog (walking the dog for my job), 13 times, and had 9 stitches in 6 places.  Took me a year or so to get over the fear of dogs. I still get a little jolted when I see a doberman, or a very large dog barking at me.   One little bite in the butt? Ha. I got you beat and bunch of scars to prove it. :-P  Kidding aside - heal well, and hope you keep it clean. Hugs.

Cassettes - I'll chime in a bit - I used to have 11-23. I struggled SO hard on the hills, and it was discouraging at times, especially when I was just a brand new cyclist. I even road up Red Rock Loop (uh...4 miles of 4-8% incline!) with this dang thing.  I found out much later about the 12-27. I never looked back. I still struggle on hills, and I'm on my easiest gear when I try to get up the harder inclines, but I have an easier time rotating the cranks.  I don't get "spin up the hills", cuz I ain't spinning....

So, honestly, if you are faced with a hilly course all the time (like me...very rare it's flat), you're better off with 12-27. if not, 11-25 is just as good.  The only thing that the 12-27 has that the 11-25 doesn't have is 24 and 27 rings.  The 11-25 has 23 that the 12-27 doesn't have. If you really struggle on the hills, then get the 12-27. If not, stay with the 11-25.   It would be really different if you had compact crank, and going to standard (am I right?).
2011-02-13 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3352420

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
fowlmood - 2011-02-13 1:48 AM Well Saturday is in the books

It start at 4:30am with a drive to La Junta an hour away for a 3,444.88yd swim. Then the drive back stopped at Community Bldg picked up some cone to mark the race course then back home to change and get ready for the 5k time was 21:58 icy roads made it kind of interesting. From there back home showered and changed loaded up the bike and back to La junta Son dropped me off and back home I rode for 60mile ride of the bike and 12min 1.5 miles transition run.

During the transition run my legs felt like 200 year old redwoods waterlogged but made it through.

So I think I am finally tired

I hope every one had a productive weekend

Awesome Saturday.  I hope you're taking it slow on Sunday. 
2011-02-13 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Techdiver - 2011-02-12 7:38 PM Well after many deals falling through. I found found my bike, bought it and went and picked it up today. Did an 800 km round trip drive to pick it up. Managed to drive through about 6 whiteout snow storms, considered turning around several times. I think my wife wanted me to turn around about 25 times.

Meet "STORM"

Sweet looking bike!  Good luck with it.

You didn't give us much to work with here with the picture.  A white sheet behind it???  We wanted to spend as much time admiring the bike as we do picking out things in the background!!!
2011-02-13 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3352214

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-02-12 7:35 PM Barry, in John's absence you have beeb elected "the pot stirrer."

war eagle.
2011-02-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3351068

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-02-11 4:44 PM...... but I "think" it helped me take 20 minutes off my bike split for Vineman!!!   

a lot of beer and yellow peeps helped me take ~45 minutes off my HIM bike split from one year to the next.   hope THAT doesn't dampen your spirits missy like you did to trev....  oh..   wait.       ha!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-02-13 6:55 AM

2011-02-13 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
My last past comment on PT (or any new tri related accessory!)...At the end of the day, it is up to each person to decide what is best for them, for their training, for their pocketbook, for their family, etc.

I think that all of us are smart enough to realize that making a big purchase isn't going to make us faster if we don't use the new thing properly to our benefit.  There are so many different training methodologies out there, we are fortunate to have choice!!!

That being said, after reading a recent article in Triathlete mag, I think I am going to quit doing all the sbr for training and just switch to 20 minutes of CROSSFIT per day!!!!

ETA - I also agree with Trevor...some things you just want.  If you have the means, that is awesome and you should take advantage of it.  As long as you don't have any false expectations of what you are going to get out of it.

Edited by gdale 2011-02-13 6:57 AM
2011-02-13 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3352266

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-02-12 8:35 PM

Here goes....

i'm not even sure how to respond to this.  more good wisconsin advice, i guess.  ;-)

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-02-13 7:11 AM
2011-02-13 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
hi everyone.   i think most of us have spoken in way or another over the past few weeks.  even a few bikini pics from hawaii showed up in my email.  thanks.  kinda nice to step away and just hit the s/b/r for a while, andy's onto something.  

looks like everyone is doing great, minus a dog bite.  very happy to see this. 

well, i gotta go get on the bike.  a little race is off on the horizon and i'm starting to get this little feeling in my beer gut about it. 
2011-02-13 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hi gang. Was away for a few days and caught up now. I remember only a few things here.
Trevor: wheels. Get the power tap and train with it. Using that and RPE will improve your results much more than new wheels. Although looking pretty is the next best thing to actually being good.

Chris. Awesome new bike. Definitely worth the trip. Hey its only a little snow

Linda's a$$. Hopefully the bite wasn't too deep and you recover quickly. I've been chased by a few animals but not yet bitten.

Sugar: Sorry to hear you have been so sick but happy to hear your on the road to recovery. Don't push too hard not worth the chance of relapse.

Tony: slow down a bit and let your body recover fully. Do only light workouts until you are 100%.As with Sugar you stand the chance of relapse or injury if you are not at least 95%.

Congrats to everyone who has been and is racing this weekend.

Got to go out of town again for a few days for work so not sure if I'll have access to keep up to date here. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good. So keep on training and racing gang.

2011-02-13 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Nice to see that most of us read each others posts!  It's Sunday morning and I'm on my second cup of coffee after sleeping another 9 hours so here goes.....take this with the love it is intended to deliver

Kyla: From what I learned last year, stomach issues can be from cooking the bike too hard and/or not managing nutrition properly on the bike or both. Not sure if that was your issue or not.   You must think Power is mildly important since you invested in a CT, no?

John:  Maybe if you had hills during all your training in TX you would know what I mean? Don't you have them in Georgia?  I think you would be surprised how much those little spikes take out of you....you crest a hill and your HR still climbs.  Haven't you ever seen that?  Each one of those efforts takes a little energy away from you. I am am inexperienced IM'er for sure, but I do feel conserving energy is the name of the game...if you feel you can do it with your HRM, great.  I don't seem to be able to.

I'm not saying everyone has to go out and drop bug bucks on a PT or like unit, but Barry asked whether or not it was worth it as an MOP'er.  IMO, it is.  If that's not your thing....NBD!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-02-13 7:50 AM

2011-02-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3352521

User image

Chatham Ontario
gdale - 2011-02-13 6:46 AM

Sweet looking bike!  Good luck with it.

You didn't give us much to work with here with the picture.  A white sheet behind it???  We wanted to spend as much time admiring the bike as we do picking out things in the background!!!

LOL Photography is a bit of another hobby of mine and well there isn't much else to see down there in my basment. If I would spun around and shot the other way you would have seen two more bikes, my road bike and my friends bike on her trainer and a tread mill small workout section for DVD's and doing P90X  in a very 70's panneling basement. I can take a picture the other way if you really want to laugh at my non-updated basement. I only use it for working out so we never upgraded the basement. 10 years in my house and I am finally using my basement now...LOL

Although I don't pick my camera up much anymore. I tend to SBR instead.
2011-02-13 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3352549

User image

Chatham Ontario
SSMinnow - 2011-02-13 7:31 AM  I am am inexperienced IM'er for sure, but I do feel conserving energy is the name of the game....

I couldn't agree more. I am currently trying to learn how to do this with swimming. I have put a lot of effort into swimming and I have been swimming my sets with what is most likely a high heart rate. I don't have a monitor when I swim but I am learning how to judge my effort.

Recently I have been capable of slowing down a bit and maintaining a better pace. Just because I can swim hard and complete swimming nights. Doesn't mean I should swim like this on race day. I assume if I do so I will burn up WAY before the end of the race. So I need to keep telling myself and teaching myself how to do this.

Very good point make.....
2011-02-13 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Chris, nice bike.  I ride a Felt TT bike and absolutely love it.  Love the name........Enjoy.

Erica,  wasn't Ryan all about his power numbers at the TTT?   

Fatty, welcome back.  Good luck with IMTX

...................On to the PT debate.  IMO, the real difference between training with a PT or without a PT is very similiar to training debate about running with Pace or HR.  Both should get your fitness to a similiar place if used properly, but the route is different.  I ride with Power on my TT bike but not on my roadie, (because my PT is wired and one bike is a 10 speed, the other a 9 speed, so I would have to purchase another PT wire harness and switch cassettes everytime I moved bikes) but, I believe that riding with Power on my TT bike has made me much smoother and really improved my stroke. 

Also, just wanted to state that a used PT is really not that expensive in relative terms in this sport.  My used wired PT on a Mavic Open Pro cost me about $350.  A another harness for my other bike is $60.00 new.....probably wil have to buy one before the big hill rides later this summer.      

2011-02-13 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3352549

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-02-13 5:31 AM
Kyla: From what I learned last year, stomach issues can be from cooking the bike too hard and/or not managing nutrition properly on the bike or both. Not sure if that was your issue or not.   You must think Power is mildly important since you invested in a CT, no?

I absolutely think it's important. But I think that if you don't have it you can do well with RPE and HR. And yes, I know that stomach issues can be realted to pushing the bike too hard. And as I said, maybe that was me, but I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that had it been 10 degrees cooler, or had I had one -- JUST ONE!!! -- day of training in hot weather I'd have been much better off. We had an unusually cold and wet spring, so a hot day in CDA did a number on quite a few folks from the Seattle area.

In any case, not losing any sleep over it, it is what it is and one reason I'm back for more. And there is no doubt that I think power is tremendously valuable on the bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171