BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2212683

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

dalessit - 2009-06-12 5:35 AM
roni_runnw - 2009-06-12 1:08 AM Congrats on the swimming breakthrough Suzy!

Have a great time at your first tri Barry!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! My bib# is 551 if your really bored and have nothing to do Saturday afternoon/evening you can track me on ironman.com

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend!!!

hehe roni not sure if you saw my post on facebook but make sure you slap steve's butt when you pass him out on the course.

You guys don't get enough of each other around here, you gotta be friends on FB too?

And Tony, I'm glad to hear you talk a lot during your races and that its your real personality and not just a front you put up on-line

Having an I don't care Friday?

Enjoy the weekend everyone, keep it safe.

2009-06-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Good luck to the Boise crew and everyone else doing the "shorter" races.

I have been practicing transitions this morning and trying to get that in my head.  Actually a pretty good thing to do as I learned a couple of things...like how to get my socks on without busting my butt.

As luck would have it, I feel like I am getting a cold this morning.  Head got a little stuffy last night and i feel a little week this morning.  Hopefully it will pass and I will feel good in the am.
2009-06-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2213243

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2009-06-12 9:33 AM Good luck to the Boise crew and everyone else doing the "shorter" races.

I have been practicing transitions this morning and trying to get that in my head.  Actually a pretty good thing to do as I learned a couple of things...like how to get my socks on without busting my butt.

As luck would have it, I feel like I am getting a cold this morning.  Head got a little stuffy last night and i feel a little week this morning.  Hopefully it will pass and I will feel good in the am.

Dump a ton of baby powder in the socks and roll them up....The vets shared that with me, and it really works wonders.
2009-06-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2213243

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Plainsman AU - 2009-06-12 10:33 AM Good luck to the Boise crew and everyone else doing the "shorter" races.

I feel for you Barry. I almost never get sick, like once every 3 years, but I brought something back from Munich and I am only now almost over it. The coughing and congestion really sucked. I am sure it has hurt my breathing these past couple of weeks. I have just about finished coughing up pheglm. Of course my wife and son have now. Hopefully it will miss my daughter.

Steve is sounds like you BIL is pretty hard core. I suggest you make him get out 10 miles before the start area and run the rest as a handicap.

Doug
2009-06-12 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2213252

User image

Elite
Raleigh
TrevorC - 2009-06-12 10:35 AM
Plainsman AU - 2009-06-12 9:33 AM Good luck to the Boise crew and everyone else doing the "shorter" races.

Dump a ton of baby powder in the socks and roll them up....The vets shared that with me, and it really works wonders.

Also open up the velcro on bike shoes all the way to make getting into them easier. I put some Body glide on the back inside of my shoes so they slip on easy.

Good luck Barry!
2009-06-12 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I was looking through some of ya'alls logs and in particular at your heart rate data. I have two questions:

1) What is everyone's resting heart rate? The rate when you first wake uo in the AM.  I am routinely low at around 42. When I work out hard I get up to about 160.

2) I see no discussions on BT about rate of recovery. Before a lot of the present technology existed we used the rate our heart decreased after exertion as a measure sign of relative fitness. So say one day, after a particular workout your heartrate is 150 and then in 5 minutes it is 100. Next month you do the same workout and your heart rate goes from 150 to 90 in 5 minutes you can gauge your improvement.

Is this still a valid measure? Has it been disproven or found inaccurate? Just curious.

2009-06-12 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2213721

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DougRob - 2009-06-12 12:54 PM I was looking through some of ya'alls logs and in particular at your heart rate data. I have two questions:

1) What is everyone's resting heart rate? The rate when you first wake uo in the AM.  I am routinely low at around 42. When I work out hard I get up to about 160.

2) I see no discussions on BT about rate of recovery. Before a lot of the present technology existed we used the rate our heart decreased after exertion as a measure sign of relative fitness. So say one day, after a particular workout your heartrate is 150 and then in 5 minutes it is 100. Next month you do the same workout and your heart rate goes from 150 to 90 in 5 minutes you can gauge your improvement.

Is this still a valid measure? Has it been disproven or found inaccurate? Just curious.

My RHR is in the low 50s when I first wake up.  Taken while sleeping it is in the low 40s.   I take it almost every day mainly to make sure I am not overtraining.

I bet if you posted a question on the forum you would get pletny opinions on #2.  When I first started running, I read Maffetone's book "High Performance Heart" and he has a section on recovery. He states the really unfit will take longer to get to normal pre-exercise HR's while the fitter individual may come down in minutes  He caveats it by saying, if the exercise is more intense the fit individual may have a higher HR for quite some time.  I did a few Maff tests back in the day and was amazed how over a time a faster time elicited the same HR as a much slower pace weeks earlier.  For some odd reason, I stopped doing that.  I wonder why?
2009-06-12 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2213721

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-06-12 12:54 PM I was looking through some of ya'alls logs and in particular at your heart rate data. I have two questions:

Mine is generally in the mid 60's first thing in the morning, but I am not what I would consider fit yet.  It has come down over the past few months by a few bpm.  As for recovery, I will leave that to the technicians - all I really know is that I need to continue to work out multiple times a week in order to gain ground in my battle with "how I used to be"  My new IM heart rate monitor has a recovery feature that measures the drop in HR in the first minute after I push stop on the stopwatch function - not 100% sure of its relevance.

The one thing I have noticed is that my max heart rates have come down as I have worked out more.  When I first returned to running, my highest HR during a workout would get up to like 177-180 which has to be right close to my max HR.  Now it gets up to like 171 during my runs, even though I am running further and longer.  Same thing happened with the bike.  I feel happy that red-line less now.

2009-06-12 5:46 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Well I cut 13 second of my 400 time. I am down to 7:27. I'll take any improvement right now.
2009-06-12 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2214506

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-06-12 5:46 PM Well I cut 13 second of my 400 time. I am down to 7:27. I'll take any improvement right now.

Good job Doug.  Keep it up and you will be a fish like Suzy in no time....

2009-06-12 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2214581

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-06-12 6:42 PM

DougRob - 2009-06-12 5:46 PM Well I cut 13 second of my 400 time. I am down to 7:27. I'll take any improvement right now.

Cool You mean swim like a minnow, right? Need to add my race swim time to the sheet tonight.   I am hoping to improve upon my 5K time during the duathlon so have faith in me Team 4!

Suzy

2009-06-12 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2214581

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
When I was training last year I really stuck to HR based training.  This year I still use a HR plan but only really use it to determine RPE.  LOL, I don't understand their RPE numbers here but I do know the HR to I just use what zone they say I should be in to determine if the workout is supposed to be a recovery, interval, tempo or speed workout.

On the bike I am trying to work on switching over to purely power based training. 
2009-06-12 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Just finished a quick 30K on the bike tonight. I don't know what I did different but I had a great ride for me. New time for our virtual ( I''ll log the last 20K of my ride) 41:40.

Good  luck to everyone racing. I imagine I have missed a number of ya'll on the road already.

Next week it could be a bit of a weird on for me. My Oly will be a week Sunday. On Wednesday I have to go to a dental surgeon to have a molar pulled so I won't be able to train to hard for a couple of days. Need to let the cavity heal enough so I don't jar it open on Sunday. Oh and we a huge family reunion on Saturday as well. Ah well this isn't my A race this year so I think i will use it to determine where I need the most work to get ready for the HIM in SEpt.

2009-06-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2214597

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-06-12 6:49 PM
ashort33 - 2009-06-12 6:42 PM

Cool You mean swim like a minnow, right? Need to add my race swim time to the sheet tonight.   I am hoping to improve upon my 5K time during the duathlon so have faith in me Team 4!

Suzy

We have the utmost faith in you Suzy!  Go team shi!

2009-06-12 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hi all. Good luck to all our racers out there. I know I've missed most of you but still lots of good wishes.  I also talk to everyone during a race.  And when I am just a spectator I like to find a dead spot on the run and encourage people.

I've not yet had my VO2 max and heart rate zones determined, but I would like to.  My heart rate is crazy high.  Don't know about first thing in the morning, but I am usually in the mid 180's when I run. No matter whether I am pushing it hard or trying to go easy.  I think it must be the cocaine. Wink My average is about 20 bpm less on the bike.  I do have a quick recovery though so I guess I'll be okay.  I think I have a low blood volume for I often get dizzy and light headed if I stand up too quick.

Fathers Day is already taken care of .  The LBS was having a sale so I took the hubby over for new race wheels, Bontrager Race XL and tires to boot.  So I think he is all set for Father's Day, birthday, anniversary, and half of christmas. Of course now that we are doing the Iron Man relay he is trying to sell me on some rediculously expensive pair of bibs. Who would have ever though spandex would become so expensive.

2009-06-13 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck to everyone racing!  I'm still not sure if i'm racing or not.  I still don't have my bike!  They're missing some parts that they thought they would have already.  They promised I would have it today.  We'll see.  

My resting hr in the morning is around 62 and lately when i work out hard it varies.  The last few weeks i've reached the mid 170's one day and mid 160's the next at the same effort.  I'm not sure what that means...  When I race sometimes it may peak to 182 or so and then go down. 

2009-06-13 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2214804

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-06-12 10:01 PM

Hi all. Good luck to all our racers out there. I know I've missed most of you but still lots of good wishes.  I also talk to everyone during a race.  And when I am just a spectator I like to find a dead spot on the run and encourage people.

I've not yet had my VO2 max and heart rate zones determined, but I would like to.  My heart rate is crazy high.  Don't know about first thing in the morning, but I am usually in the mid 180's when I run. No matter whether I am pushing it hard or trying to go easy.  I think it must be the cocaine. Wink My average is about 20 bpm less on the bike.  I do have a quick recovery though so I guess I'll be okay.  I think I have a low blood volume for I often get dizzy and light headed if I stand up too quick.

Fathers Day is already taken care of .  The LBS was having a sale so I took the hubby over for new race wheels, Bontrager Race XL and tires to boot.  So I think he is all set for Father's Day, birthday, anniversary, and half of christmas. Of course now that we are doing the Iron Man relay he is trying to sell me on some rediculously expensive pair of bibs. Who would have ever though spandex would become so expensive.

Assos bibs?

Nice present, I am probably getting a gift certificate from the LBS.  Probably buy some nice brake levers, mine are kind of clunky, was thinking the really low profile FSA ones.  Sadly other than a very nice front wheel I can't think of anything I need on my bike.  That is unless I start upgrading my road bike....
2009-06-13 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
GM all!! 
Stan hope you get your bike in time!!
Tracy, Can I give you my wife's phone number? I guess it helps when you are both involved in the sport. She said next year she will do a sprint. A girl from work put a bug in her ear, so we'll see. Funny aside to that....there was a thread in TriTalk about Ironman the new 10k....and it was quite fitting. The two of them were talking about doing the tri in their staff room yesterday(teachers) and there was another teacher eavesdropping. And she pipes in and says something along the lines of "Hawaii,on TV,blah,blah 800 million miles on a bike,etc, you're crazy,etc,etc" So she made the assumption that the two of them were training for Kona as that is the only Triathlon there is out there to do. Its interesting that unless you are in this 'culture' you really have no idea it exists. 'culture' or 'cult' take your pick.
She is doing a 5 mile race tomorrow, so she is pretty excited for that. It's my turn to watch the girls while Mommy runs.

The course where my Oly is next week is open this morning for some OWS pratice. Its a private community but they are letting us come in and swim at certain times this week. So I will doing that this morning, with a ride and run after it hopefully. My ride got rained out last night. And then pick up the kids later this afternoon. They've been at the inlaws cabin for a few days.

Anything exciting going on today with the other non-racers ?

Edited by TrevorC 2009-06-13 9:36 AM
2009-06-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2215105

User image

Elite
Raleigh

TrevorC - 2009-06-13 9:04 AM GM all!! 
Stan hope you get your bike in time!!
Tracy, Can I give you my wife's phone number? I guess it helps when you are both involved in the sport. She said next year she will do a sprint. A girl from work put a bug in her ear, so we'll see. Funny aside to that....there was a thread in TriTalk about Ironman the new 10k....and it was quite fitting. The two of them were talking about doing the tri in their staff room yesterday(teachers) and there was another teacher eavesdropping. And she pipes in and says something along the lines of "Hawaii,on TV,blah,blah 800 million miles on a bike,etc, you're crazy,etc,etc" So she made the assumption that the two of them were training for Kona as that is the only Triathlon there is out there to do. Its intersting that unless you are in this 'culture' you really have no idea it exists. 'culture' or 'cult' take your pick.
She is doing a 5 mile race tomorrow, so she is pretty excited for that. It's my turn to watch the girls while Mommy runs.

The course where my Oly is next week is open this morning for some OWS pratice. Its a private community but they are letting us come in and swim at certain times this week. So I will doing that this morning, with a ride and run after it hopefully. My ride got rained out last night. And then pick up the kids later this afternoon. They've been at the inlaws cabin for a few days.

Anything exciting going on today with the other non-racers ?

Went out to the site of the Smile Train Tri in two weeks. MEt Linda (Havin'Fun). It was very cool meeting one you in person. I was late as I chose to ride there and got lost. I rode around a bit and waited. Linda was kinda enough to ride the course again with me. We saw two turtles. She hopes it is not an omen for the bike ride in 2 weeks. Met the RD too as she organized this preview. Now I gotta go swim with the kids. I wanna get in 633 yds. to round out my swimming for the week.

I like the culture/ cult comment Trevor.

Doug

2009-06-13 12:39 PM

User image

Champion

I am back from my duathlon and happy to report I was the 2nd female overall and 1st in my AG!  Take away the swim and I am semi competitive!  The bike was a bright spot. I passed so many studs along the way.  Of course, one of them passed me on the last leg of the run, but it was at least eye candy because at that point I was about to pass out .  My ashtma is really becoming an issue.  Gotta figure that out. When my inhaler no longer touches the situation,. it is a problem!

I thought of my Team 4 the entire first leg.  I was going up the biggest frickin' hill, barely breathing with asthma in full swing and I thought I gotta get my game on so I kept going.  Way into Z5!   Post race, my Garmin says 3.0m .  Can I still count this for the contest,but add additional time for missing .1m?  The race was called a 5k!

Well enough jabbering.  I am sending good karma to those still racing!

Suzy

2009-06-13 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
WAY TO GO SUZY!!!!

2009-06-13 2:39 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Awesome Suzy!

2009-06-13 2:43 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Suzy is a Rock Star!!!

2009-06-13 3:12 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey everyone:

We can follow Steve and Roni in the Ironman Boise:

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/boise70.3?show=tracker

Doug
2009-06-13 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2215056

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-06-13 8:35 AM
tahrens - 2009-06-12 10:01 PM

Assos bibs?

Bingo. Very good.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383