General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-08-30 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3666607

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
jeffw85 - 2011-08-30 8:39 PM

It was so cool meeting so many of you at Starbucks.  That was one of the highlights of my weekend.  14:25:13 finish for me.  My first IM and very pleased.  Had a swim of 1:12, bike of 6:35 (16.98 avg) and run (walk) of 6:22ish.  Nausea plagued me all day and I definitely had legs under me to run the majority of the mary but the stomach was having no part of it.  I was one of those poor saps out there vomiting on the run course.  I walked 75% of the mary to help keep the nausea at bay.  Couldn't even hold down water.  I was close enough to the finish I knew I'd make it home and I did!!! Yeehah, Ran the last half mile while my 18 year old son ran along the sidewalk with me.  WOW!!!  What a great experience.  No disappointments here at all.  One of these day I'll find a nutrition hydration strategy that yields consistent results.  I'm just not there yet.  Either way, I am an IRONMAN baby!  I didn't let myself cry all weekend but as soon as they handed me that finishers cap I broke down.  Like many of you, I dreamed of making it across that finish line and putting that cap on my head for an entire year.  

FYI, I went to medical right after they took my picture as I was going downhill fast.  Barely made the one block walk there.  They got an IV in me after three tries and administered some anti-nausea medication and 30 minutes later I was a new man!  There must have been 100 cots in there and most of them were full.  Many suffering the same symptoms....

Congrats to all......YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!   

Congratulations. Ouch, sorry about the three tries.  My nurse took a little bit to get my IV in, little bugger still hurts today. That stuff does straighten you right out though

2011-08-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3142609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

How much time are you all taking off before you get back out for something more than a 20 minute swim or a 2 mile run.

I'm thinking of doing an easy 30-40 mile bike loop this weekend to stay active - else I go insane.

2011-08-30 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
sdanaher...Coach had me do a 4x300 swim today and get a massage. Tomorrow is a bit more and a "ride as you feel" bike...maybe 30-45mins or maybe an hour, not much more.
It stays like that for the rest of the week, just going as I feel, no pace or time goals.
2011-08-30 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Best part of my weekend beside crossing the finishline?....Being TOLD by my sherpas on Sat at noon that I needed a little "alone" time, took a shower, then found the hotel room empty and a Snickers on my pillow...LOL LOL LOL....Cube, Eat A Snickers!!!
2011-08-30 10:08 PM

Congrats to everyone! 11 hrs, 44 min finish time for me (goal was 13 hrs). Felt great throughout the entire day--no cramping and only a little hip pain. My biggest regret was taking it too conservatively on miles 8-18 of the run. I felt fine but was worried about hitting that "wall" come mile 20 and slowed down to an 12min/mi pace at one point. When mile 20 came, I felt better than I did at mile 10. I did miles 20-25 at a 8:56min/mi pace, then the last mile at a 7:45 pace, with the final stretch at a sub 7 sprint pace. Crowd was going wild as I sprinted down the chute. Very memorable.

11 months ago, I had never run more than 3 miles and couldn't swim more than 50 yards. Now I'm an IronMan!

2011-08-31 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
I hope you guys are enjoying the post-Ironman life as much as I am!!

(iPhone 1382.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
iPhone 1382.jpg (51KB - 13 downloads)

2011-08-31 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

tulkas ~ lol!  Wow, that looks good ~ enjoy

2011-08-31 10:09 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Back to work today... BOOOOO eh?
My boss said they pulled up my results in staff meeting Monday, how awesome are they?

Definitely enjoyed my lazy day yesterday... literally slept all morning, picked the dogs up from the kennel, slept some more, ate a little, watched daytime TV. Then I went to my boyfriend's chiropractor practice and he set me up on a rolling massage table and put some electro-stimulant thingies (<--- technical term) on my upper back to relax those muscles, then he adjusted me. The perks of dating a chiropractor Kiss. Then we ate Mexican food and I enjoyed a MARGARITA! Been a long time since I had a drink with dinner.

Love reading all the tattoo talk - I was set on getting one after Wisconsin last year but couldn't decide on a design or location so just never did. I really want to see all of yours though! LOVE tattoos!

So what's next for everyone? Are you doing to do another Ironman? Next year? Wait? 
I decided after 2 Ironman years in a row I am taking a break from that distance. I will do Kansas 70.3 in June and pick another HIM for late summer, and then I'm doing the Chicago Marathon with my sister and her husband in October 2012. I can't wait! 

2011-08-31 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

Plan for next YEAR?

Oh man... I don't know.  I'm seriously considering signing up for Beach 2 Battleship FULL for THIS October.  I want a better run split and I'm trained for it!

Then I've got a 50k in December...

Next year I'm doing Eagleman 70.3 in June and deciding between IMKY 2012 (I know, I know) and IMCOZ 2012 (t-giving weekend in Mexico!).

Or, if I do B2B, maybe no IM next year and then a couple 70.3s...

2011-08-31 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Ths rest of this year has me doing Rev3 SC Oly Oct 9th, then Ironman 70.3 Austin in late Oct, then heading to IMFL to help buddy Ryan and Pro Jessica Jacob with their tapers before IMFL. Jessica won the Pro Womens title last year...shes a monster!!

2012 Big Races: Gulf Coast Half, May 2012, Muncie 70.3 or Chat Waterfront July 2012, Augusta 70.3 Sept 2012 (shooting for sub 5hrs) then Ironman Florida Nov 2012.
2011-08-31 10:42 AM

User image

Cannot describe how much I enjoyed Louisville for my first full Ironman!  Was thrilled with 13:32 finish. Conservative on the swim and bike and was able to run the entire marathon feeling strong aside from aid stations.  

Really want to do Augusta 70.3 for the third time at the end of September.  Is this too soon??  I feel great but that can be deceiving huh?  

Congrats all! 

2011-08-31 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

Hope everyone has made it home safely and is recovering nicely.  I've been working on a race report, but keep getting distracted by real life - really enjoyed reading those reports that have been posted tho.

I just enjoyed my first big post-race meal last night (being a vegan is tough on the road), and my legs are just starting to feel normal again.  I still haven't done anything physical - I might swim tomorrow morning, but I'll wait until the weekend to join a group ride.

Was considering signing up for one of the races here in town on 9/11, but then I realized I have a nasty 50k the following week (gulp).  Then a small sprint to close out the local series and the NYC Marathon in November.  That should be enough - unless a friend decides to do Cal International Marathon in Dec (his first) before it sells out.  I told him I would sign up and run it with him if he did.  Sell out, sell out, sell out!

2011-08-31 11:41 AM

User image

Regular

I'm planning on spending this OFF time putting some strength back into my knee to run.  Even though I stuck with my 'walk' plan for Louisville, I'd prefer to run the marathon.  Walking so much was tough mentally.

Next year, I want to get my marathon redemption and do either Little Rock or the Eisenhower in Abilene, KS (nice little small town marathon).   I'm also looking at doing a relay team with my wife for Kansas 70.3.  She's an awesome swimmer and has been wanting to do a team with me.  I might throw the Redman 1/2 in there as well.

I'm looking at Redman Full or Vineman in 2013. 

I know everyone is different, but when is an acceptable time to train or workout again?  I'm chomping at the bit to strengthen my knee and begin building up my run base.

Had a good time finishing my first Ironman.  As far as tattoos, I'm plain.  Yesterday,  I got the M Dot above my right ankle.  I'm going to dress it up a bit later (still getting ideas for what I want).

2011-08-31 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3667282

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
sdanaher - 2011-08-31 11:11 AM

Plan for next YEAR?

Oh man... I don't know.  I'm seriously considering signing up for Beach 2 Battleship FULL for THIS October.  I want a better run split and I'm trained for it!

Next year I'm doing Eagleman 70.3 in June and deciding between IMKY 2012 (I know, I know) and IMCOZ 2012 (t-giving weekend in Mexico!).

I highly recommend doing Cozumel!! it was an awesome venue. I am going back in 2013 as I have promised next year I will stick to half IMs and shorter races. If you need any info on cozumel send me a message. Highly highly highly recommended and it is also a great treat to your support team.

Happy recovery time!

Alicia

2011-08-31 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.

Hello, all!  Wow, what an experience!  Even though I knew the long day would be difficult and grueling, there's a huge difference between anticipating and experiencing a full IM: 15:27:25 for me.  I was aiming for something between 14 and 15 hours, but I'm happy with the results.  I've never pushed myself as far or as hard.  Finally feeling more recovered and rested today and thinking I might get on the road bike tomorrow.  Poor fellow, he mostly just hangs in the garage, begging to be ridden. 

Did anyone else feel like the Fourth Street Live finish area felt like "the light at the end of the tunnel"?  Since I had been in the dark for so long, I felt drawn down that street like a moth, as if the crowd was pulling me in.  I think that's the wonderful part of an IM finish, and I vaguely heard my name being called out as an Ironman.  I lost two of my best friends this year, one to cancer and the other to a rare lung disease, and I had teared up quite a bit in the last mile.  They would have loved to have seen all this.

But immediately upon finishing, I stopped, and my legs would not work properly.  Med techs sat me down until my wife and three daughters came around to the finish line, and supporting my shoulders, I was able to hobble over to the convention center.  I was barely able to eat a slice of cheese pizza, but it was probably the best pizza ever (well, considering that I do not want to look at another shot block, power bar, or gel for quite a while ... helpful, yes, but bleah).  Talked to Jillian a bit in the convention center while we both waited for our spouses to bring around bikes/vehicles before things started going fuzzy and I had to sit down again.

Hope to post a race report tonight before I forget all the details and wonderful conversations with people in the event and along the course and transitions during the day.

What a journey this has been for me, and I'm so glad I got to know people in this forum and to meet a few of you!

Tailwinds, Todd

2011-08-31 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3667584

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
tsoule - 2011-08-31 1:30 PM

Hello, all!  Wow, what an experience!  Even though I knew the long day would be difficult and grueling, there's a huge difference between anticipating and experiencing a full IM: 15:27:25 for me.  I was aiming for something between 14 and 15 hours, but I'm happy with the results.  I've never pushed myself as far or as hard.  Finally feeling more recovered and rested today and thinking I might get on the road bike tomorrow.  Poor fellow, he mostly just hangs in the garage, begging to be ridden. 

Did anyone else feel like the Fourth Street Live finish area felt like "the light at the end of the tunnel"?  Since I had been in the dark for so long, I felt drawn down that street like a moth, as if the crowd was pulling me in.  I think that's the wonderful part of an IM finish, and I vaguely heard my name being called out as an Ironman.  I lost two of my best friends this year, one to cancer and the other to a rare lung disease, and I had teared up quite a bit in the last mile.  They would have loved to have seen all this.

But immediately upon finishing, I stopped, and my legs would not work properly.  Med techs sat me down until my wife and three daughters came around to the finish line, and supporting my shoulders, I was able to hobble over to the convention center.  I was barely able to eat a slice of cheese pizza, but it was probably the best pizza ever (well, considering that I do not want to look at another shot block, power bar, or gel for quite a while ... helpful, yes, but bleah).  Talked to Jillian a bit in the convention center while we both waited for our spouses to bring around bikes/vehicles before things started going fuzzy and I had to sit down again.

Hope to post a race report tonight before I forget all the details and wonderful conversations with people in the event and along the course and transitions during the day.

What a journey this has been for me, and I'm so glad I got to know people in this forum and to meet a few of you!

Tailwinds, Todd

Yes!!  And, I even had a spectator tell me "run into the light, run into the light" right before turning onto 4th street...lol...it made me smile, when at the time, I could barely move!

Congrats on your finish!!

2011-08-31 2:20 PM

User image

Bronze member

A friend of my IM friend was at the race taking taking photos while he cheered her on. He is a professional photographer and posted them on his website. Just thought I'd pass it along in case he caught a photo of any BT peeps.

http://go.skactionpix.com/

2011-08-31 2:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Here is a cool video of the last 2 finishers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqIYowAIu4 
2011-08-31 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3667282

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts

Plan for next YEAR?

Only 40 or so slots left for B2B full.  Save $50 if you sign before 9/1.  I just signed up, I'm getting back on the horse.

2011-08-31 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
FYI: Escape from Alcatraz lottery opens tomorrow.  Looks like they've pushed the race date back a month to June.  Maybe that will make for warmer (less freezing?) water conditions.  I've heard this is a must-do, so I may register for the lottery this year.  I'm signed up for Grandma's Marathon tho and that's the next weekend.
2011-08-31 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3667847

User image

Master
halfironmike - 2011-08-31 2:45 PM FYI: Escape from Alcatraz lottery opens tomorrow.  Looks like they've pushed the race date back a month to June.  Maybe that will make for warmer (less freezing?) water conditions.  I've heard this is a must-do, so I may register for the lottery this year.  I'm signed up for Grandma's Marathon tho and that's the next weekend.

Alcatraz is an amazing race! I highly recommend it.

2011-08-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3667837

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
gobey007 - 2011-08-31 3:38 PM

Plan for next YEAR?

Only 40 or so slots left for B2B full.  Save $50 if you sign before 9/1.  I just signed up, I'm getting back on the horse.

Wow ~ good for you!!  I DNF'd my first attempt (IMWI '09) ~ your finish will just mean that much more!!  Good Luck ~ we will be cheering for you

2011-08-31 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3667887

Veteran

Congratulations to everyone!

Does anyone happen to know how fast the general entry slots sold out last year? Thanks!

2011-08-31 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3667969

User image

Master
RJohnson1979 - 2011-08-31 3:42 PM

Congratulations to everyone!

Does anyone happen to know how fast the general entry slots sold out last year? Thanks!

March or April of this year.
2011-08-31 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3667280

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
lisac957 - 2011-08-31 11:09 AM

Back to work today... BOOOOO eh?
My boss said they pulled up my results in staff meeting Monday, how awesome are they?

Definitely enjoyed my lazy day yesterday... literally slept all morning, picked the dogs up from the kennel, slept some more, ate a little, watched daytime TV. Then I went to my boyfriend's chiropractor practice and he set me up on a rolling massage table and put some electro-stimulant thingies (. Then we ate Mexican food and I enjoyed a MARGARITA! Been a long time since I had a drink with dinner.

Love reading all the tattoo talk - I was set on getting one after Wisconsin last year but couldn't decide on a design or location so just never did. I really want to see all of yours though! LOVE tattoos!

So what's next for everyone? Are you doing to do another Ironman? Next year? Wait? 
I decided after 2 Ironman years in a row I am taking a break from that distance. I will do Kansas 70.3 in June and pick another HIM for late summer, and then I'm doing the Chicago Marathon with my sister and her husband in October 2012. I can't wait! 

I am signed up for Lake Placid next year!  This will be my 4th IM year in a row and sometimes I wonder about myself....lol.  I just keep getting drawn back in

So glad that I got to meet you at Starbucks ~ wish we would have had time to chat more!  Congrats on your finish!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112