Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-01-03 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
Hi all!! I had a fantastic day...skiing and then a 10k run. I am good  tired now...when I work nites that is bad tired.....

2009-01-04 12:44 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
"Folks who've done Danskin - how did you like it?"

I really enjoyed the WI one although I don't have much to compare it to. I think making the first race a womans only one was a good idea in my case. Just less intimidating not knowing what to expect. They bend over backwards a bit to make sure you feel comfortable. It seemed over half the group are all newbies. I actually ranked way better then I expected because of this. It was a really large race, but smaller then the Chicago Tri, so it prepared me for the mass of humanity that would be there.

My week so far back on track is going well. Walk/Jogged or Biked the last 3 days. It feels good to be back. I think I was just burnt out a bit because I had been exercising for well over a year without break. I did end up taking too long off, but at least I got some rest time and I'm geared up to rededicate.

I have a bodybugg coming hopefully sometime this week and I'm hoping it will encourage me to move around more in general on top of my exercising. The extra weight is really dragging down my run ability.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-01-04 12:44 AM
2009-01-04 6:52 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Debb,

What's a bodybugg?

I understand feeling burned out.  That's part of why rest to step back weeks are so important to training.  The mind and body need to take a breather from intense training every few weeks.  Some plans incorporate this every 4th week while others find they need more or less time between recovery periods. 

Glad you have a plan of action.

I did a women's only mini sprint my first year.  It was fun.  No offense to the men--I found the women's race a supportive place.  Example: a kid had a bike problem, half a dozen ladies stopped to help her out cause of the "mom guilt" thing.  We had kids from age 10 to a woman in her late 70's or 80's.  When the older lady finished she was running, not fast but running.  We all cheered her in.  It wasn't a Danskin race, but it was woman's only.  I highly reccommend them fo first year races to build confidence and gain experience.

2009-01-04 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1884969

I found this in Shape Mag this morning it is a monitor that tracks the calories you burn, so you can adjust your diet to meet your energy needs. Now how much does this cost I don't know.
2009-01-04 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1884902

User image

Champion
MA

IdealMuse - 2009-01-04 1:44 AM ". It feels good to be back. I think I was just burnt out a bit because I had been exercising for well over a year without break. I did end up taking too long off, but at least I got some rest time and I'm geared up to rededicate. I have a bodybugg coming hopefully sometime this week and I'm hoping it will encourage me to move around more in general on top of my exercising. The extra weight is really dragging down my run ability.

Great job getting back at working out. We all need breaks now and again. Ideally we don't get to the point we are so burnt out we lose our enthusiasm to work out. Think about how you might avoid this next year.

You'll have to share how the bodybugg works for you...I have read about it after seeing it on Biggest Loser. Hope it is helpful!

2009-01-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1884658

User image

Champion
Calgary
RedSoxChick - 2009-01-03 6:42 PM
The $30 registration fee includes 2 of your favorite Harpoon Beers and the race of your life on a 15K course.

Awesome.

2009-01-04 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Good day! I got new shoes yesterday. Took them for a short 20 min spin on the treadmill this morning, and they feel a tad snug, I am hoping they will stretch and flex a bit as I wear them. Funny, they felt pretty good in the store, but I did not wear my running socks.
2009-01-04 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1884750

User image

Champion
Calgary
aquagirl - 2009-01-03 8:10 PM

Hi all!! I had a fantastic day...skiing and then a 10k run. I am good  tired now...when I work nites that is bad tired.....

insane.
2009-01-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1884902

User image

Champion
Calgary
IdealMuse - 2009-01-03 11:44 PM

I have a bodybugg coming hopefully sometime this week and I'm hoping it will encourage me to move around more in general on top of my exercising. The extra weight is really dragging down my run ability.

Nothing like an investment in technology to keep the motivation to train going. Hope it helps you out, sounds like a nifty device.
2009-01-04 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1885186

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

ilucy2 - 2009-01-04 10:27 AM Good day! I got new shoes yesterday. Took them for a short 20 min spin on the treadmill this morning, and they feel a tad snug, I am hoping they will stretch and flex a bit as I wear them. Funny, they felt pretty good in the store, but I did not wear my running socks.

Ah, wear them in gently and wear socks that wick. My feet are nasty now from the blisters my shoes gave me yesteday.  The one on my right foot popped cause the moleskin came off in the pool today.  (It was dragging around and I didn't want it to fall off in the pool so I yanked it off  on a flip turn and tossed it on deck with my stuff--popped the blister when the piece ame off)

2009-01-04 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1884138

User image

Master
NJ
running4beer - 2009-01-03 12:17 PM

Folks who've done Danskin - how did you like it

i've done danskin 2x in NJ. Very supportive and CROWDED! There was definitely a positive vibe going the whole time but there was just a ton of racers and many new to racing. Having so many women up for the challenge is great, don't get me wrong - it's just that with such a large race and such a large percentage of people new to racing, it was easy to get lost in the shuffle. There were numerous near misses on the bike portion and for my first race, I'd probably prefer a smaller local race if that's available....just my 2 cents.

2009-01-04 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1884658

User image

Master
NJ
RedSoxChick - 2009-01-03 8:42 PM

i don't know a thing about shoes or clips - i have a big fat pair that must be MTB because the clip is recessed.... someday i'll buy new ones but i'm out of CASH!!!  I did get areobars from my boy - can't wait to get those babies on!!

What i do know is i love beer and specifically Harpoon Beer!! So for you local gals, Mina(Running4Beer) and I going to create a team for a Time Trial here in Boston - we can fit in one or two more cool chicks that want to be part of Team Turtles:

Here's the info:

Harpoon and FastSplits Multisport have teamed up to create an exciting ITT, right here at the Harpoon Brewery in Boston. Men, women and teams are welcome to race in heats running on the hour from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. 16 CompuTrainers will be arranged on the brewery floor for a scene set for intense competition and fun! The field is limited.

How to Register
The $30 registration fee includes 2 of your favorite Harpoon Beers and the race of your life on a 15K course. Register now and get more information at
http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/itt.

Post-Race
The Harpoon ITT celebrates the intensity of indoor cycling and the camaraderie of a post-race beer.

We really hope you can join us. If you've never raced, this is a good opportunity to see what it's like. If you are a bike racer it will be an excellent indicator of your winter fitness level. Based on registration, we will place participants in heats with racers of similar abilities. All you have to do is get in shape over the next 5 weeks and bring your bike. We'll take care of the rest! Cold beer is waiting for you at the finish.

and here's our inspiration:

I've never done a TT and this sounds like a great way to start!!  Let us know if you want to join or let us know if you're the competition

[/QUOTE

Sounds like a TON of fun!! I'd love to go but we're going up to Boston MLK weekend - Ashland, MA actually, so going up 2 X in 3 or 4 weeks would be tough - have a great time!!
Are there any races up there MLK weekend? Depending on logistics, maybe we could meet for a race or run???
2009-01-04 7:35 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Debb - Welcome
2009-01-05 12:23 AM
in reply to: #1884969

User image

Master
Chicago
Queen - A bodybugg is one of those calorie monitors you see them wear on the biggest loser. Basically tracks your energy spent throughout the day. You log your food online so you theoretically can track your caloric deficit more accurately.

Zig - They aren't cheap... mine was $250 but I've been wanting one for a few years and I figure if it causes me to be more active throughout the day it will be $$ well spent. They used to cost double that if you can imagine that. Ouch.

Soo... I think I've decided I'm going to aim for Steelhead in Aug, but I won't sign up for another 8 weeks or so. I figure this way I have 10 weeks to gauge my fitness level to make sure I'm ready before I have to start the 20 week training program. I know I certainly will be quite BOP if I make it there, but i'm quite fine with that. It's about the journey for me and making sure I'm challenging myself.

I was peeking in on the no sugar challenge thread tonight... its inspiring me to try and cut back this week. Not sure I could go NO sugar though! Ack!
2009-01-05 5:44 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Morning gang!  Hope everyone has a geat day planned ahead
2009-01-05 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Hi there

Woke up this a.m. and everything was covered in ice, so no morning run for me. Hope it melts by this afternoon so I can go during "lunch."

2009-01-05 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good morning,

Wow, it feels as if the new year officially begins today (first day back at work). We are lucky here in Calgary as a chinook is blowing in and we are expecting relatively mild tempertures for the week, maybe even a couple days above 0C (cross your fingers)

Last week was a good week for me, I skipped out on my Friday run, on account of the -20C. You know I find it easier to sneak out for a run in the cold while at work than leave the comfort of my house. I also didn't quite make an hour on the trainer on Saturday but what the hell, 48 minutes is a high for me. Managed to hit my long run on Sunday, first in a number of weeks, so that was awesome.

Same this week as last, run mon-wed (I hope wednseday, got a dental appointment that might gum (hehe) things up ) Friday and a long one on Sunday. Hit the trainer.....Tuesday and Saturday at least ( an hour on Saturday), Karate Thursday and Sunday.

And we start pre-natal classes this week, every Monday evening for the next 6 weeks.

Hope everyone elses week is shaping up.
2009-01-05 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

All that and pre-natal classes, phew!  Sounds like you have a solid week planned, DH!

To DH, Joanne, and others who manage to sneak away for a midday run or work out... I'd love to do that, but I'm trying to figure out how I might make that remotely practical to me.  Do you guys have a gym or a locker room or shower at your work?  Are you near your gym?  Or do you just pull a Superman in the restroom or your office?

I'm in a fairly no-frills office building and my gym is more than half a mile away (and me with no car), but it's cold enough that I *suppose* I may not come back too sweaty after a quick 2mile jog (couldn't even fathom trying that and returning to the office in the summer).  Not sure, but there's a chance that the ice-glaze on the sidewalks Joanne and I got today would be melted come noon, and there's a forecast for the same terribly icy conditions for Wednesday...

Edited by running4beer 2009-01-05 9:47 AM
2009-01-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1886622

User image

Champion
Calgary
running4beer - 2009-01-05 8:44 AM

All that and pre-natal classes, phew!  Sounds like you have a solid week planned, DH!

To DH, Joanne, and others who manage to sneak away for a midday run or work out... I'd love to do that, but I'm trying to figure out how I might make that remotely practical to me.  Do you guys have a gym or a locker room or shower at your work?  Are you near your gym?  Or do you just pull a Superman in the restroom or your office?

I'm in a fairly no-frills office building and my gym is more than half a mile away (and me with no car), but it's cold enough that I *suppose* I may not come back too sweaty after a quick 2mile jog (couldn't even fathom trying that and returning to the office in the summer).  Not sure, but there's a chance that the ice-glaze on the sidewalks Joanne and I got today would be melted come noon, and there's a forecast for the same terribly icy conditions for Wednesday...

um.....I don't shower after my midday run. Eek. I know, gross. I wear a clean shirt, take it off right away, put on my clean clothes. I am a little sticky but the fact is I work for myself, I have the opportunity to run at lunch, it makes my afternoon more productive, I am going to do it. No one I office share with has complained yet.

The more emberassing thing is when I have client's in my officce and I have my gym clothes hanging off chairs and my running shoes strewn about. Ha.
2009-01-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1886648

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

BigDH - 2009-01-05 10:54 AM

um.....I don't shower after my midday run. Eek. I know, gross. I wear a clean shirt, take it off right away, put on my clean clothes. I am a little sticky but the fact is I work for myself, I have the opportunity to run at lunch, it makes my afternoon more productive, I am going to do it. No one I office share with has complained yet. The more emberassing thing is when I have client's in my officce and I have my gym clothes hanging off chairs and my running shoes strewn about. Ha.

Ha!  I luckily don't get clients in my office... but when I used to swim in the morning, my officemate would give me dirty looks when she had to avoid putting her leather jacket on the coat rack hook that was holding my wet towel and bathing suit. Smile

Maybe I'll give a little lunchtime jog a try this week... a "test run", so to speak - particularly since I know this week will be a quiet one and my officemate is out of the country for a few more days.  No one in the immediate vicinity to offend if I come back a big ole sweatball!

2009-01-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1886684

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
running4beer - 2009-01-05 10:11 AM

BigDH - 2009-01-05 10:54 AM

um.....I don't shower after my midday run. Eek. I know, gross. I wear a clean shirt, take it off right away, put on my clean clothes. I am a little sticky but the fact is I work for myself, I have the opportunity to run at lunch, it makes my afternoon more productive, I am going to do it. No one I office share with has complained yet. The more emberassing thing is when I have client's in my officce and I have my gym clothes hanging off chairs and my running shoes strewn about. Ha.

Ha!  I luckily don't get clients in my office... but when I used to swim in the morning, my officemate would give me dirty looks when she had to avoid putting her leather jacket on the coat rack hook that was holding my wet towel and bathing suit. Smile

Maybe I'll give a little lunchtime jog a try this week... a "test run", so to speak - particularly since I know this week will be a quiet one and my officemate is out of the country for a few more days.  No one in the immediate vicinity to offend if I come back a big ole sweatball!

Kristen (enders_shadow) swears by baby wipes to use after mid day running.  I usually just do core or PT on lunch to avoid the swety mess but my fitness center in my building is closed for renovations for the next few months

2009-01-05 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
MA

When I used to work I would do workouts during lunch normally 4x a week.

When I would ride my bike, I'd change, then go ride for about 48-52 minutes, then in the bathroom I'd wash my hair in the sink...very easy as I have very short hair then I'd wet down a wash cloth and wipe off the sweat and get dressed go back to my desk and eat.  This office had nursing room or that is what I guessed it to be with a sink I'd use to change and quick wash off.

2009-01-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1886731

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

QueenZipp - 2009-01-05 11:32 AM

Kristen (enders_shadow) swears by baby wipes to use after mid day running.  I usually just do core or PT on lunch to avoid the swety mess but my fitness center in my building is closed for renovations for the next few months

Hmmm, I may have to try that!  I recall about 8 years ago seeing that they started selling wipes that were specifically marketed (for women, of course) as full body wipes for freshening up after exercise.  I thought that was a great idea but when I tried it it had that super baby powder fragrance that made me sneeze throughout the rest of the day.  Haven't seen em since!

Judi - is there any other room you can commandeer for the core and PT? 

I've got one of those big exercise balls in my office (we have a bunch-folks in my office sometimes use em as desk chairs... good for lower back problems) and recently just started to occasionally shut my office door for a couple minutes to crunch away before lunch.  Probably would also be nice to do if I'm stuck on a long boring conference call.   It's a little better than thinking about getting down on my office floor and fits nicely under my desk when I'm not using it.

Edited by running4beer 2009-01-05 10:46 AM
2009-01-05 12:03 PM

User image

Master
NJ
On days when I rode to work, I'd change and be done w/ it...after a run, baby wiipes are a great call! Another collegue of mine used them when she rode to work and swore by them. Good for you getting out there and being productive!!! A whille back there were a group of women who did pilates during lunch - we'd change in the bathroom in my classroom and get down on the rug and do pilates. No muss, no fuss....
2009-01-05 12:31 PM

User image

Beantown

hi gang! thanks for all the inspires over the weekend... my computer is not interested in working in '09 so i've been very frustrated!!

i havn't had a day off since the day after xmas and i'm feeling it!  I'm sore all over!!  i have 2 miles on tap today and i think i'll do them VERY SLOW, and luckily i only have 800 yds to do in the pool.... I've really improved my floating/feet-up abilities so i'll do some drills to keep that on track, too.

so no takers for the Harpoon Time Trials??  that's ok - more beer for us

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71