BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2110502

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-25 9:53 PM I'm curious how do you all balance training with spouses and kids? I'm single with only a dog and already I have trouble keeping my dishes washed and my room clean.

x2!!!  And I don't even have any pets! 

2009-04-27 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2112898

User image

Chicago, IL
KelliD - 2009-04-27 11:16 AM
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-25 9:53 PM I'm curious how do you all balance training with spouses and kids? I'm single with only a dog and already I have trouble keeping my dishes washed and my room clean.

x2!!!  And I don't even have any pets! 

Good one! Same here. My place has been a total mess lately and I have no food! The fish I have are easy to take care of...
2009-04-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2113323

User image

Master
San Francisco
maurof78 - 2009-04-27 11:30 AM ] Good one! Same here. My place has been a total mess lately and I have no food! The fish I have are easy to take care of...

Hey Mauro.  Congrats on your third place finish at your adventure race!  What did you have to do in the race?

I'm curious to hear more from the other racers (jules, Ronen, and Kelli) on how it went this weekend.
2009-04-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2114115

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-27 7:27 PM

maurof78 - 2009-04-27 11:30 AM ] Good one! Same here. My place has been a total mess lately and I have no food! The fish I have are easy to take care of...

Hey Mauro.  Congrats on your third place finish at your adventure race!  What did you have to do in the race?

I'm curious to hear more from the other racers (jules, Ronen, and Kelli) on how it went this weekend.

Ditto!! I've checked the logs and read a wee bit but I'm hungry for the details of the races!! Post! Post!!
2009-04-27 8:31 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
enginerd - 2009-04-27 7:27 PM

The adventure race was a lot of fun. We raced in groups of three so I got to race with a couple of friends. The race consisted of a four mile canoe ride, a fourteen mile mountain bike ride on and off road, and a two mile run. We also had a punch card and had to complete tasks throughout the race. These included filling a bucket full of water by somehow carrying the water from the river to the bucket, finding and turning in a key, throwing a frisbee into a basket, and using a bow and arrow to hit a target. All of this while navigating our way through the course. Good stuff..!

I am just disappointed I did not get to go on the long bike ride on Sunday. It was raining all day! I got to do my long run on the tradmill instead...

Edited by maurof78 2009-04-27 8:32 PM
2009-04-27 10:10 PM

User image

enginerd - 2009-04-27 8:27 PM

Congratulations, Mauro - that sounds like a fun race!

It took me awhile to figure out how to do it, but I finally filed my race report for those who are interested. It was a really fun race, and I was happy with how I ran it. It was my first race since having kids (ages 3 and 5), so it was very satisfying to improve my time over my previous marathon, which was 7 years ago! I will not wait as long to run another one...

2009-04-27 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2110583

User image

kkcbelle - 2009-04-25 11:33 PM
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-25 8:53 PM I'm curious how do you all balance training with spouses and kids? I'm single with only a dog and already I have trouble keeping my dishes washed and my room clean.
I get up early. I workout while the kids are in school (I'm a stay-at-home mom, which helps, but it does not create the "endless" hours most people perceive that it does. My life is very scheduled and structured!) When the kids were young I ran with them in the jogger. I communicate/plan with my husband. My husband and kids know that exercise/working out is a necessary part of me. When I plan races, I communicate well in advance. I put my family first, however, and will always sacrifice a workout or race if there is an important family event or need.

Ditto much of what Kyla said. I have a flexible half-time job that allows me to get some training time in while the kids at daycare and then log some work hours at night after they go to bed. On the weekdays they're home, I have an elliptical (and will add a trainer) in the basement that I use during nap time or after they go to bed. My husband is also supportive and makes sure I get time on the weekends. I can't do as many races as I might enjoy, because travel and weekend time away are more complicated with a family, but that's okay with me. I think the training time ultimately comes out of time I would have spent sleeping, socializing, or just plain relaxing when I was single. Oh, and my husband feeds the pets and waters the plants - otherwise, it wouldn't be pretty.

2009-04-27 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Congrats to all the racers this past weekend.

I am definitely impressed with how everyone manages their time. For me keeping life balanced has been difficult, especially with the great unknown of these increasingly longer races driving me harder in my training. Since IM will be the longest distance I'll do hopefully after this first one I'll be able to relax more and balance life better. But wow you all must have great, supportive spouses. Find me one please!
2009-04-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2111786

User image

Master
New York, NY
kkcbelle - 2009-04-26 10:24 PM

QOTD: What is your "routine" when you feel a cold/illness coming on? Do you have favorite products or home remedies that you use? How do you handle working out? 

The second I even think I might feel the slightest hint of a cold coming on, it's straight to Zicam!  I swear by this stuff!!!  I'll also take some extra vitamin C and try to get a little extra sleep if I can.  I tend to follow the rule, if it's above my chest and I'm feeling up to it I'll still work out.  But, if my cold heads into my chest I'll take some time off to recover, reluctantly though.
2009-04-28 8:10 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
I meant to post my RR here yesterday, but got bust at work and totally forgot.  I was really hoping for a half-mary PR in this race but once the warmer temps starting setting in I knew that probably wasn't going to happen, so I used this as a training run.  I've been training in 45 to maybe 60 degrees on a good day, and at the start of the race it was in the low 80's and quickly warmed up to about 86 by the end, with very little shade on the course.  Even though I was considerably slower than I would have liked, it was a good day.

Congrats to all the other racers this past weekend!!

Edited by KelliD 2009-04-28 8:20 AM
2009-04-28 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2114587

User image

poweredbyfear - 2009-04-28 12:55 AM Congrats to all the racers this past weekend. I am definitely impressed with how everyone manages their time. For me keeping life balanced has been difficult, especially with the great unknown of these increasingly longer races driving me harder in my training. Since IM will be the longest distance I'll do hopefully after this first one I'll be able to relax more and balance life better. But wow you all must have great, supportive spouses. Find me one please!

I have have to add the disclaimer that I'm not training for an IM, so my training time commitment is relatively manageable. I couldn't pull that off at this stage of life!

2009-04-28 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Time, what is that.  I try to hit an am workout and a noon workout if I can to free up some time after work.  None of my kids or wife want to spend time with me anyway so not a big loss there I suppose.  They are all addicted to video games and would rather play than eat, including my wife.  I actually have more free time now only working out 10-15 hours a week than I did when I played computer games and watched TV.  

Like this morning, up at 5:xx to go do an hour run and hill repeats in the snow, yay.  Hopefully the roads clear up or I will be on the drainer for tonights ride.   

As for sickness, well the only thing I take is a decongestent or cough suppressant for sleeping at night to try to keep the lungs drier and a cough drop for after the workout so I don't asphixiate myself with the post workout junk.   I generally work through illness unless it is related to keeping food in my stomach one way or the other.  There are days when I feel like taking a sick day, but then don't want to get caught workout out, so I suck it up and go to work so I don't miss a workout 8).  If my lungs get too junked up though, ya I have to lay off the workouts and maybe get in one or 2 runs a week, like all of January, February and much of March and April last year.
2009-04-28 11:09 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
QOTD: what do you do for your pre-race taper?
2009-04-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2115514

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

enginerd - 2009-04-28 11:09 AM QOTD: what do you do for your pre-race taper?

It honestly depends on the the race... for a lot of my races this year there will maybe be a day off or a lighter day the day before a big race.  My HIM will probably have a few days of lighter training and IM Moo's tapering is actually built into the plan.  I believe it is 2 weeks of shorter workouts at race pace or slightly below.

Question for all you out there.  I have the opportunity to do an earlier season HIM in June and then I am scheduled for one in the middle of July with IM Moo being in September.  Who thinks this is a good idea or bad idea?  I keep going back and forth on it.  I LOVE to race so it may help get me training.  I am pretty set to handle the distance right now and it is about 8 weeks away.  What does everyone think?

2009-04-29 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Well first off it is the Door County HIM so definately worth doing and it is roughly 8 weeks out from your IM so that should give you pleanty of time to recover and get back at it for the final training finally pre IM.  My vote would be to go for it if you are still feeling good after your first HIM and you continue to train without injury. 

Oh and prerace taper, I pretty much follow whatever is on the plan.  I may end up tapering more than I could get away with, but most of my races are far enough appart that it does not hurt me too much to get a break.  If the race is like a 10 miler or a half mary we are talking a day maybe, but for a Full Mary, HIM or (we shall find out) IM I will be taking the taper more seriously. 

Edited by Baowolf 2009-04-29 10:20 AM
2009-04-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2117242

User image

Master
San Francisco
crea0029 - 2009-04-28 7:32 PM

Question for all you out there.  I have the opportunity to do an earlier season HIM in June and then I am scheduled for one in the middle of July with IM Moo being in September.  Who thinks this is a good idea or bad idea?  I keep going back and forth on it.  I LOVE to race so it may help get me training.  I am pretty set to handle the distance right now and it is about 8 weeks away.  What does everyone think?

I like using races as training springboards for my bigger races, so I do this all the time.  Given how you have them spaced out like that, it seems perfect leading up to IM Moo.

2009-04-29 2:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Looks like I have a training coming up in San Jose May 17-20th on Student Threat Assessment.  I guess I will have to find a place to work-out while I am down there and I can't bring my bike in the company car.  Anyone live in that neck of the woods?  Hrm that is probably a midwest term not a silicon valley term.  Anyone know what a bubler is?  8)   Gosh only 6 ish weeks to the Boise 70.3 I hope it stops snowing by then. 

Has anyone ever felt chomping at the bit to add some longer workouts, but supposed to be doing shorter more intense workouts and be stuck between not having much energy, yet just wanting to hit that zone and keep going without caring about HR?  That's where I am at atm.  Anyone ever wish they could just go on a bike ride and have no wind at all, like for the whole ride, just once?  Me again.   I can ride up hills, on the flat, rolling hills, etc., but riding into a 20 mph wind or so is just sooo mentally draining.  

I am still adjusting to adding the flutter kick into my swims without overtaxing my endurance and lengthening my arms over my head before they enter the water.  Swim times and endurance are not yet back to where they were before I took the swim lesson (s) the past 2 weeks.  My swim coach doesn't make that ugly face when trying to describe how I am currently swimming in contrast to how I should be swimming anymore though, so I guess that is good.  
2009-04-30 1:06 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
enginerd - 2009-04-28 11:09 AM
QOTD: what do you do for your pre-race taper?

hmm, in the past I believe I have just taken some days off..
2009-04-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2118888

User image

Master
Baowolf - 2009-04-29 2:20 PM

Looks like I have a training coming up in San Jose May 17-20th on Student Threat Assessment.  I guess I will have to find a place to work-out while I am down there and I can't bring my bike in the company car.  Anyone live in that neck of the woods?  Hrm that is probably a midwest term not a silicon valley term.  Anyone know what a bubler is?  ...  Anyone ever wish they could just go on a bike ride and have no wind at all, like for the whole ride, just once?  Me again.   I can ride up hills, on the flat, rolling hills, etc., but riding into a 20 mph wind or so is just sooo mentally draining.   

Used to live in the SJ area, but not when I was doing tri training. The Los Gatos/Almaden Trail (I think it's called that) is good for longer runs. I can't remember if miles are marked or not. It does get crowded on weekends, but mostly with runners and family bike riders. If you like running trails, check out Rancho San Antonio Park in Cupertino, off of highway 280. There are some good hills there. Wildcat Loop is a runner's favorite with lots of switchbacks. Other areas are Coyote something or other (more north, San Mateo area -- Donato probably knows), or Huddart Park. Can't help you on the biking, though.

And yes... I LOATHE wind. I can take any weather conditions for running, I can handle cold and some rain for biking, but I hate hate hate hate wind. Just hate it. Today on a trail we had a super slight uphill for about 10 miles - really not noticeable. We were so psyched for coming back and holding 22mph... and we had headwind like crazy. Didn't feel it going out (of course), but dayum, it made the ride back a lot harder than we bargained for!!
2009-04-30 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2122245

User image

Master
San Francisco
Bryan lives in San Mateo so he may have some better ideas. I don't make it down there very often. Did a great loop starting in Saratoga going to BIg Basin park. A couple weekends ago, we did a a 2000'+ climb on Tunitas Creek Rd. (just south of half moon bay off of PCH). Can give you more details on any of these if you're interested.bubbler=water fountain, yes?
2009-04-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2118888

User image

Baowolf - 2009-04-29 3:20 PM Looks like I have a training coming up in San Jose May 17-20th on Student Threat Assessment.  I guess I will have to find a place to work-out while I am down there and I can't bring my bike in the company car.  Anyone live in that neck of the woods?  Hrm that is probably a midwest term not a silicon valley term.  Anyone know what a bubler is?  8)   Gosh only 6 ish weeks to the Boise 70.3 I hope it stops snowing by then. 

They say bubbler in Massachusetts, too, along with "barrel" for trash can and "carriage" for shopping cart. Took me awhile to get used to people asking me if I wanted a carriage when I went to the grocery store.

Search South Bay and/or East Bay Regional Parks for info on parks in the area, including maps. The regional park system is excellent, with lots of good trails. Also, a lot of people like riding on Skyline Blvd (hwy 35) up around Palo Alto and Woodside (ride up Page Mill or Alpine Rd to get there), but I don't know if they do as far south as San Jose/Cupertino. You could check area bike shops for a rental.

2009-04-30 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2122245

User image

Nor*Cal

kkcbelle - 2009-04-30 5:02 PM  Used to live in the SJ area, but not when I was doing tri training. The Los Gatos/Almaden Trail (I think it's called that) is good for longer runs. I can't remember if miles are marked or not. It does get crowded on weekends, but mostly with runners and family bike riders. If you like running trails, check out Rancho San Antonio Park in Cupertino, off of highway 280. There are some good hills there. Wildcat Loop is a runner's favorite with lots of switchbacks. Other areas are Coyote something or other (more north, San Mateo area -- Donato probably knows), or Huddart Park. Can't help you on the biking, though.

Coyote Point. Not too much running there.

Around huddard part is great, so is the Sawyer Camp trail, and plenty of trail running along Canada rd. and through Edgewood park.

-ak-

2009-04-30 11:45 PM

User image

Nor*Cal

Started to pack for the trip to Wildflower, but it's late and I'm tired despite being a scheduled rest day. Will finish packing tomorrow after spin class and a short pool swim and then off to Lake San Antonio.

-ak-

2009-04-30 11:53 PM

User image

Nor*Cal

enginerd - 2009-04-28 9:09 AM QOTD: what do you do for your pre-race taper?

Less volume, but same intensity. Days leading up to race day, I play and replay in my mind how I want the day to go. and just staying hydrated and muscles loose with light stretching.

-ak-

2009-05-01 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2122811

User image

Master
San Francisco
Atak Kat - 2009-04-30 9:45 PM

Started to pack for the trip to Wildflower, but it's late and I'm tired despite being a scheduled rest day. Will finish packing tomorrow after spin class and a short pool swim and then off to Lake San Antonio.

-ak-

Have to finish packing myself.  Bryan will be here in a couple hours and we'll be driving down.

Joel, not sure if you'll see this, but we'll be in Redondo Vista H with the GGTC.   I'll PM you my cell.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27