General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2011-07-10 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3273204

User image

Subject: RE: Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread
Just finished up my last long ride.  And crushed it.  Looking forward to taper.

2011-07-10 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3589294

User image

Regular
Tahoe City, CA
triOK - 2011-07-10 2:44 PM

Just finished up my last long ride.  And crushed it.  Looking forward to taper.

Nice one!!! I hope to be saying the same thing in a couple days....
2011-07-10 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3589321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

tridizzle - 2011-07-10 3:13 PM
triOK - 2011-07-10 2:44 PM Just finished up my last long ride.  And crushed it.  Looking forward to taper.
Nice one!!! I hope to be saying the same thing in a couple days....

Me too! I was glad when yesterday's workout was O-V-E-R.  I almost did a full IM distance by myself. 

2011-07-10 6:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Folks say there are changing tents but I don't remember seeing them.  You could always change in a porta potty. 

You can put anything you need on the run at T2 by your bike.  You can access your T2 stuffs every lap, so at mile 8.5 ish and mile 17 ish as the course is 3 loops.

Changing in the open.. would probably be frowned apon and if you expose yourself (depending on your skill with a towel) you could be dqd from some races.  I don't see a point in changing, but up to you for sure. 

Got in my last 5000 yard swim, 115 mile bike and 18 mile run this weekend.  All of them kind of sucked due to high fatigue load, but they are done, so time to recover. 

2011-07-10 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3589416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I don't know whether to change or not change. To eat or not eat. What to put in SN bags. I'm starting to think about all these little decisions. I just don't want to DNF OR suffer due to some bad decisions.
2011-07-11 2:12 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Special needs on the bike is around mile 56, so a spare tube, some food, a CO2... are typical things.  Possibly a jacket if rain is forecast, but unlikely this time of year.   

Run special needs at mile 8.5, 17 ish.  Typical things are a headlamp if you are going to fiinsh after dark, a sweatshirt if you are going to finish after dark, special food if you really want a treat at loop 1 or 2 and don't want to cary it.  It will take you a bit to find it.

Enough food/water are on the course to survive... so most of the special needs stuff is for convienience.  (although spare tube may be important

2011-07-11 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3589676

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
ecpasos - 2011-07-10 10:49 PM I don't know whether to change or not change. To eat or not eat. What to put in SN bags. I'm starting to think about all these little decisions. I just don't want to DNF OR suffer due to some bad decisions.

I usually put some sort of food in my bike special needs like pringles or something different than gels and what not that I don't want to carry with me on the bike. Other stuff includes an extra tube and CO2 and even some extra Sunscreen and Contact Solution in case my contacts get dried out from the bike.....In my run special needs I put a ginger ale in case I have stomach issues from all the gu and nutrition on the bike

2011-07-11 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3589676

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

ecpasos - 2011-07-10 9:49 PM I don't know whether to change or not change. To eat or not eat. What to put in SN bags. I'm starting to think about all these little decisions. I just don't want to DNF OR suffer due to some bad decisions.

It's a long day.  I plan to change twice.  It's kinda nice to put on some fresh shorts and a fresh shirt to start the run (way better than 4+ more hours in a salt-caked outfit from the bike. 

SN is always a challenge.  Think of this as a place to put stuff you wouldn't plan to use but might need on a bad day to get to the finish line.  One caveat (at least with M-dot races) is that you might not get SN bags back whether you use them or not.  I had a few snack items and a spare tire/tube/CO2 in my bike SN bag (and I dug around in a mountain of bags and got it back after the race).  I had duct tape, 2nd-skin, asprin, tums, and a second pair of socks in my run SN bag (and likewise, dug around and retrieved it).  It took an hour of searching to find the bags the morning after the race. 

2011-07-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3589845

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice work on the peak weekend everyone. It kicked my butt. But this thing is starting to feel doable, which is a nice change.

The nutrition thing is baffling to me. After consuming ~400cal/hr for most of training with just a little burpiness from it, yesterday I dropped down to 315/hr because I thought better to underfuel than to overfuel. But I was still burpy by the end of the ride and on the run, I think because I didn't consume enough water for the heat and then put down about 16oz in one gulp when I found a hose 4:45 into the ride. Nutrition is hard. I think I'll probably go with 32oz gatorade plus a gel each hour, plus a couple bars in the first half of the ride, plus water, obviously. How to fuel on the run is even more mysterious to me, but I'm thinking it will be mostly Gatorade, maybe with a couple gels if my stomach is feeling good, and Coke if needed toward the end.

Runrgrlshubby, I got excited about the ginger ale idea until I realized it would be a 90+ degree ginger ale. I may throw some of those ginger chews or some sushi ginger in run SN though. Good idea.

Happy taper, everyone. Oh, have you seen the weather this week? A high of 75 on race day would be amazing!

2011-07-11 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So if you really want to spoil yourself.. you can take one of those ice packs that you break to make a chemical reaction and put it in an insolated container with a can of soda... for a cool drink in SN.  I haven't tried it, but shrug.   Mostly I try to keep my nutrition simple.  1 Gu 15 min before swim start, 2 bottles of 1100 calorie Infinit on the bike, 1 GU per 25-30 min on the run.  So 300 ish cal per hour on the bike, 200 cal per hour on the run.  Everyone has to kind of find their own thing, but remember that calorie counting math skils go down after you have been out there 6+ hours.
2011-07-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3590249

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
neweyes - 2011-07-11 10:48 AM

Nice work on the peak weekend everyone. It kicked my butt. But this thing is starting to feel doable, which is a nice change.

The nutrition thing is baffling to me. After consuming ~400cal/hr for most of training with just a little burpiness from it, yesterday I dropped down to 315/hr because I thought better to underfuel than to overfuel. But I was still burpy by the end of the ride and on the run, I think because I didn't consume enough water for the heat and then put down about 16oz in one gulp when I found a hose 4:45 into the ride. Nutrition is hard. I think I'll probably go with 32oz gatorade plus a gel each hour, plus a couple bars in the first half of the ride, plus water, obviously. How to fuel on the run is even more mysterious to me, but I'm thinking it will be mostly Gatorade, maybe with a couple gels if my stomach is feeling good, and Coke if needed toward the end.

Runrgrlshubby, I got excited about the ginger ale idea until I realized it would be a 90+ degree ginger ale. I may throw some of those ginger chews or some sushi ginger in run SN though. Good idea.

Happy taper, everyone. Oh, have you seen the weather this week? A high of 75 on race day would be amazing!

Yeah a hot ginger ale isn't exactly appetizing.... I actually have been lucky enough to do races where the special needs are close enough to an aid station where I could get a cup of ice to drink it with....75 on race day would be awesome!!!!!

2011-07-11 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Last week was my biggest ever and I feel pretty good about it. Still my volumes were in the barely adequate range when I see what everyone else is doing. I have quite a bit of running related soreness but legs on the bike felt great yesterday. I'm thinking that at this point I'll taper my run down sooner than I had planned.

Thanks for all the great info recently on changing, nutrition, course, etc. It has made a huge difference as I start mentally preparing and working out all my logistics. The knowledge passed down to me as a first timer IM'er has greatly increased my confidence and outlook for the day. Yes, and let's hope for a day in the mid-70's.
2011-07-11 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3591316

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

popsracer - 2011-07-11 4:26 PM Last week was my biggest ever and I feel pretty good about it. Still my volumes were in the barely adequate range when I see what everyone else is doing. I have quite a bit of running related soreness but legs on the bike felt great yesterday. I'm thinking that at this point I'll taper my run down sooner than I had planned. Thanks for all the great info recently on changing, nutrition, course, etc. It has made a huge difference as I start mentally preparing and working out all my logistics. The knowledge passed down to me as a first timer IM'er has greatly increased my confidence and outlook for the day. Yes, and let's hope for a day in the mid-70's.

Fixed that for you.  Don't compare your training or your race with anyone else's.  Your training should have you feeling confident that you'll successfully cross the finish line somehow.  The challenge is finding the somehow on race day. 

I did my last long ride this weekend and have my last long run next weekend.  Otherwise, it's mostly shorter stuff to give the body a chance to heal. 

2011-07-11 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3591332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2011-07-11 2:36 PM

popsracer - 2011-07-11 4:26 PM Last week was my biggest ever and I feel pretty good about it. Still my volumes were in the barely adequate range when I see what everyone else is doing. I have quite a bit of running related soreness but legs on the bike felt great yesterday. I'm thinking that at this point I'll taper my run down sooner than I had planned. Thanks for all the great info recently on changing, nutrition, course, etc. It has made a huge difference as I start mentally preparing and working out all my logistics. The knowledge passed down to me as a first timer IM'er has greatly increased my confidence and outlook for the day. Yes, and let's hope for a day in the mid-70's.

Fixed that for you.  Don't compare your training or your race with anyone else's.  Your training should have you feeling confident that you'll successfully cross the finish line somehow.  The challenge is finding the somehow on race day. 

I did my last long ride this weekend and have my last long run next weekend.  Otherwise, it's mostly shorter stuff to give the body a chance to heal. 

. I hear THAT! I'm not going too look at what any of you IM vets put together in terms of volume. It'll put seeds of doubt in my mind. I followed the plan as close as I could and have faith in that. I know I can go the distance. Not sure how long it will take, but I'll cross that finish line no matter what.
2011-07-11 9:17 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

To finish under the timeline cut-offs isn't too too bad if your training was lite.  I don't think you can get your body ready to rock an IM for your first attempt.  As was said above, don't compare against the numbers of other folks, but... know what your numbers mean.  If you were biking 200-300 miles per month for the past three months don't go out trying to nail a 19 mph pace.  You can look at your vollume and that will help you determine your pace.  As most of the race will be in Z2, just think of a strong moderate pace and hold that across all three events.  You shouldn't come out of the water gasping, shouldn't come off the bike dying and shouldn't hit the first 20 mile of the run hard.  If you stay within yourself you have a lot of time to finish.  Just keep giong you will do fine. 

Getting faster at IM.. now that takes more vollume.  So far I am coming in to number 3 with a more solid base in run and bike than the two previous IM's.  Hopefully that translates into being able to hold a steady bike and make it farther into the run before I start slowing down. 

If you followed your plan you can finish the race, barring health or bike issues.  Just keep at it and your body will answer your call.  If you have to walk, you have to walk.  Even with a 2 hour swim (2:42/100) and  8 hour bike (14 mph), you still have 6 hours for the marathon (13:45 minute per mile). 

I am hoping the temps are below 95F by the time I start the run.  Anything 90 or lower is gravey. It is taper time, heal up and pack your stuffs cuz it is too late to worry, all your workouts are already in the bank. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-07-11 9:46 PM
2011-07-12 12:20 AM
in reply to: #3591759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Yeah. Good points.

2011-07-13 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
All of a sudden I have zero motivation!  Took Monday off and just couldn't get out yesterday as well.  Woke up this morning even more tired!  UGH!  All the hard work is done, why is it all of a sudden so hard to get out for my taper!?
2011-07-13 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Your body is healing.  You will develop aches and pains that were not there during hard workouts.  It is just part of the process.  Your body is getting the message, ah it is over, I can recover, relax and get fat again....   So muscles are healing, but with some aches, your mind is thinking its only a 23 mile bike.. etc.  So just get out there get done what you can and stay healthy.  Emotions get stirred up a lot during abig 3 week taper after peak IM training.  You may be irritable, restless, hungry, moody, short, excited, etc.  It all goes with the territory, just ride it out, get your equipment lined up, your travel plans, relax and just get through it.  By the 30th you will be all lets get in the water and get this thing going already!!  Enjoy. 
2011-07-13 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, its getting close. Picked up cowbells for my support crew the other day. Got my five year old son a little cowbell too. He was so excited. I was on the trainer in the living room last night and he came running in, stands next to me ringing his bell yelling "GO, Daddy, GO!!". Pretty cool to have cowbell while on the trainer.
2011-07-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3594521

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
popsracer - 2011-07-13 9:30 AMYeah, its getting close. Picked up cowbells for my support crew the other day. Got my five year old son a little cowbell too. He was so excited. I was on the trainer in the living room last night and he came running in, stands next to me ringing his bell yelling "GO, Daddy, GO!!". Pretty cool to have cowbell while on the trainer.
That sounds awesome! I can't wait ti ll my daughter is old enough to do that!
2011-07-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3594468

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Baowolf - 2011-07-13 8:58 AMYour body is healing.  You will develop aches and pains that were not there during hard workouts.  It is just part of the process.  Your body is getting the message, ah it is over, I can recover, relax and get fat again....   So muscles are healing, but with some aches, your mind is thinking its only a 23 mile bike.. etc.  So just get out there get done what you can and stay healthy.  Emotions get stirred up a lot during abig 3 week taper after peak IM training.  You may be irritable, restless, hungry, moody, short, excited, etc.  It all goes with the territory, just ride it out, get your equipment lined up, your travel plans, relax and just get through it.  By the 30th you will be all lets get in the water and get this thing going already!!  Enjoy. 
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. What an amazing journey!

2011-07-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3594573

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Mitchparadise - 2011-07-13 9:59 AM

popsracer - 2011-07-13 9:30 AMYeah, its getting close. Picked up cowbells for my support crew the other day. Got my five year old son a little cowbell too. He was so excited. I was on the trainer in the living room last night and he came running in, stands next to me ringing his bell yelling "GO, Daddy, GO!!". Pretty cool to have cowbell while on the trainer.
That sounds awesome! I can't wait ti ll my daughter is old enough to do that!

When people ask why we do this. To be a hero to my son. He has always called me "Ironman" and soon it'll be legit.
2011-07-13 4:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
When I do long races like IM I make a point of estimating where and when I will be to help my wife see me as I go by.  I know paces and such are iffy ahead of time, but I do my best.  Swim look for me out of the water between 1:15 and 1:30, lap one of bike look for me between 3:00 and 3:15, bike finish 6:00 to 6:30, run lap 1, 1:10 2, 2:25 3, 3:50-4:00  ish.  Remember loop 1 of the bike does not go by the finish line for observers, they have to walk over a few blocks.  
2011-07-13 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3595233

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Baowolf - 2011-07-13 2:15 PM

When I do long races like IM I make a point of estimating where and when I will be to help my wife see me as I go by.  I know paces and such are iffy ahead of time, but I do my best.  Swim look for me out of the water between 1:15 and 1:30, lap one of bike look for me between 3:00 and 3:15, bike finish 6:00 to 6:30, run lap 1, 1:10 2, 2:25 3, 3:50-4:00  ish.  Remember loop 1 of the bike does not go by the finish line for observers, they have to walk over a few blocks.  

Funny that I was just working on that today. There is a great tool that you can put in your pace, transitions and start time and it will do some of the math for you. I did two, one best case and the other not so best... I'll take this info and flush it out a bit more for my wife and family to make their day easier. There are always surprises on race day it it helps.

Website for calculator tool is: http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tritime2.asp

2011-07-13 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
I would love to hear some pre-race plans and check lists!
We plan on getting there Thursday afternoon and gonna take it easy the rest of the day!
THURSDAY NIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT NIGHT'S SLEEP!!! I don't usually sleep well the night before a race so make sure I do on Thursday!!
Friday~ Sleep in as late as I can! Do an easy bike and maybe a swim, pre-race meeting and a light dinner. Also will organize all the race bags!
Saturday AM
Get up probably around 3AM and drink some coffee
Breakfast will be a shake with Fighter's Blend and a scoop of Endurox.

Check Lists

Swim
  • 2 pair of goggles (just in case I lose one or they break)
  • Vineman swim cap
  • swim tights
  • flip flops
  • body glide
  • Wetsuit (if allowed)
I will also have another Fighter's Blend/Endurox Shake right before swim

Bike
If you are bringing race wheels make sure you ride with them prior to race day, no surprises!!
  • Bike
  • Helmet
  • Sunglasses
  • Cycling Bib
  • Cycling Jersey
  • Cycling Gloves
  • Chamois Butter!!
  • 2 spare tubes
  • Bento Box with Cliff Bars packed in it
  • My Patch kit is in a water bottle and I put
  •          3 CO2
  •          Tire levers
  •          Allen wrenches to adjust seat, brakes, etc.
  •          Patches
  • I will also bring a small hand pump and a spare tire (I flatted 7 times during IMC in 01 because someone dumped carpet tacks throughout the bike course)
Bike Special Needs (if allowed)
  • 2 CO2 Cartridges
  • 2 Tubes
  • Nutrition
Run
  • Running Shorts
  • Running Top
  • Socks
  • Shoes
  • GPS Watch
  • Chamois Butter!!
  • Hat
  • Towel (to keep soaked on head and neck if hot)
  • Water bottle
  • Gels
  • Peanut butter and jelly sammich!
  • Salt tabs
Run Special Needs
  • Clean socks
  • long sleeve (it will be dark and cold)
  • more Chamois butter
  • headlamp
  • more nutrition
Hopefully this gives some ideas and I would love to hear from others on what they are doing!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18