BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4137572

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
ukweeble - 2012-04-09 8:53 AM

So far managed to delay the run by watching 'inspirational' you tube triathlon/ironman videos in the hope the rain would ease. hopes dashed by our wonderful british weather, so i am continuing the delay by thinking of things to ask in our forum.

My first one is this: My first tri is only a sprint that is pool based. Do i wear speedo's for the swim then slip my cycling shorts on over the top for the cycle, and if i do this, do i keep the cycle shorts on for the run, or whip them off and run in my speedo's or am i getting this all wrong and should i skip the speedo's altogether and swim/run in my cycle shorts???? This is a serious question cos i need to practice with my final set up as i have learned already that there should be nothing new on race day.

Ideally, you will have tri-shorts that you can swim/bike/run in. They are like cycle shorts with a smaller pad so it dries faster. Then you just wear the shorts the whole time, no slipping anything on or off (except maybe a shirt).

2012-04-09 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hello Manatees!  I spent yesterday evening catching up on everyone's posts and trying to "get to know" my pod.  I had a rather lazy weekend which involved a LOT of wine on Saturday, a LOT of water and tylenol on Sunday, and NO exercise (other than my regular saturday morning horseback riding).  The weekends are SOOO hard for me to get motivated, I always am booked up on Saturdays and then just want to veg on Sunday.  But my training schedule (that I made up, so I can only blame myself) mandates that I bike on saturday afternoon and run on Sunday morning.  I NEED to get those long sessions in, if not for my upcoming sprint, then for my olympic at the end of August.  I can tell I'm losing running fitness by not getting out there enough.  Hopefully I can get back on track this week, although my BT training plan has me on a recovery week this week.

Pilates tonight, that should feel good, then 5:30am computraining tomorrow (other than running a marathon, its probably the craziest exercising activity I've done - the 5:30 am part, that is)!

2012-04-09 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My first one is this: My first tri is only a sprint that is pool based. Do i wear speedo's for the swim then slip my cycling shorts on over the top for the cycle, and if i do this, do i keep the cycle shorts on for the run, or whip them off and run in my speedo's or am i getting this all wrong and should i skip the speedo's altogether and swim/run in my cycle shorts???? This is a serious question cos i need to practice with my final set up as i have learned already that there should be nothing new on race day.

I think most guys were jammers throughout and pull on a top for the bike/run.

2012-04-09 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So far managed to delay the run by watching 'inspirational' you tube triathlon/ironman videos in the hope the rain would ease. hopes dashed by our wonderful british weather, so i am continuing the delay by thinking of things to ask in our forum.

Tri-shorts is the easiest answer. I have a pair of cheap ones from Performance online bike store. They work fine for sprints. I actually run in them occasionally on my training days. The pad is small enough that it shouldn't bother you when you run. Yet it helps on the bike.
2012-04-09 10:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
x2 on the Tri Shorts.  You swim in them and the padding for the bike is designed to dry fast.
2012-04-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4137886

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
cdban66 - 2012-04-09 9:40 AM

Tri-shorts is the easiest answer. I have a pair of cheap ones from Performance online bike store. They work fine for sprints. I actually run in them occasionally on my training days. The pad is small enough that it shouldn't bother you when you run. Yet it helps on the bike.

Agree on the Tri Shorts.  Either wear Tri Shorts + Tri top or go with a 1-piece tri suit if you have one.  If you want to look like a newb, then change clothes in transition, ha ha.  Actually do whatever feels comfortable and is within budget.  The easiest thing to do is go with tri shorts or tri suit, one less thing to deal with in transition.

I wear my tri shorts and tri top all the time, works great for brick workouts (bike then run).

2012-04-09 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran

So I've been messing with (more like messing-up) my fit on my bike lately.  It's roadbike with clip-ons and a FF seat post.  Seemed fine when I was just "trying it out" but after a longer ride I'm finding that I can't stay in aero as long anymore.  My triceps and shoulder just start to burn after awhile.  Not sure where to make the adjustment.  The weird thing is that despite the changes I made to my road fit to get a "tri" fit, my road fit feels more comfortable than ever. Weird.

Anybody have any ideas? (Please don't tell me to get a proper tri-bike. I just can't justify that expense right now.)

Edited by wushunut 2012-04-09 10:23 AM
2012-04-09 10:57 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Really didn't do anything like run this weekend.  Baby E just wanted mommy all weekend.  She now has 6 teeth visible under the gums and she will be 4 months old in two days.  Not so much fun coming for us!  Poor thing is not happy.
2012-04-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4138005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have you been to a bike shop for help with a tri-style geometry fitting?  They would know all the angles and be able to look at you as a whole picture.  The cost of a tri-fitting certainly pales in comparison to the cost of a new tri bike!
2012-04-09 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
wushunut - 2012-04-09 10:22 AM

So I've been messing with (more like messing-up) my fit on my bike lately.  It's roadbike with clip-ons and a FF seat post.  Seemed fine when I was just "trying it out" but after a longer ride I'm finding that I can't stay in aero as long anymore.  My triceps and shoulder just start to burn after awhile.  Not sure where to make the adjustment.  The weird thing is that despite the changes I made to my road fit to get a "tri" fit, my road fit feels more comfortable than ever. Weird.

Anybody have any ideas? (Please don't tell me to get a proper tri-bike. I just can't justify that expense right now.)

I've been on a roadie + clip-on bars for over two seasons now.  I went to my bike shop and had them fit the bars to me.  It cost me $100, was supposed to be $150 but we finished sooner than expected and the fitter could not optimize any further.  He told me the geometry of my road bike was not optimal for tri/aero setup but he did say I would be quicker.  He was right.  A good fitter knows more than me, so I leave it in the hands of the experts.

He ended up switching out handlebars stems so maybe that's what you need?  But really, having someone knowledgeable about all that stuff watch you IN MOTION is the key in my opinion.

2012-04-09 12:30 PM

User image

Seattle
wushunut - 2012-04-09 10:22 AM

Yeah, I don't think there should every be any burning involved. Are you doing these fittings on your own or having a professional do it? 

I definitely wouldn't suggest just going out and getting a tri bike (my bike came from the pawn shop lol) but maybe it would be worth the money for a pro fitting if you haven't done that already? 

2012-04-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4137525

User image

Melon Presser
jmkizer - 2012-04-09 8:30 PM

New iron training plan with what target date?  My guess is August.

Is strength training really that controversial?  Certainly we should all be doing core, etc.

Target date is Dec. 8. It seems early to start, but I am going in with ZERO base. The training I did for IM Melbourne was literally Worst-Case Scenario ... I went from deathly ill to barely well to peak IM training at 14-15 hrs/wk in ... 3 weeks, held peak for 7 weeks at a constant build (had two serious but brief infections in that time), then 3 weeks of taper. There probably isn't a worse way to train for an IM except not at all! (Actually ... that might even have been better!)

So ... I really need a decent endurance base to even begin "true" iron training so to speak, but that's what I'll be starting next week. I haven't had a true training/racing season since 2008. KA-RAZY!

Weight training/non-SBR strength training is very controversial as to benefits for endurance performance. It's not controversial at all for ... pretty much anything else health or fitness related.

2012-04-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4138331

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-09 12:30 PM

Is strength training really that controversial?  Certainly we should all be doing core, etc.

Target date is Dec. 8. It seems early to start, but I am going in with ZERO base. The training I did for IM Melbourne was literally Worst-Case Scenario ... I went from deathly ill to barely well to peak IM training at 14-15 hrs/wk in ... 3 weeks, held peak for 7 weeks at a constant build (had two serious but brief infections in that time), then 3 weeks of taper. There probably isn't a worse way to train for an IM except not at all! (Actually ... that might even have been better!)

So ... I really need a decent endurance base to even begin "true" iron training so to speak, but that's what I'll be starting next week. I haven't had a true training/racing season since 2008. KA-RAZY!

Weight training/non-SBR strength training is very controversial as to benefits for endurance performance. It's not controversial at all for ... pretty much anything else health or fitness related.

With ALL that being said, do you still agree with my(our) decision that weight training is probably not...at the top of my priority list right now or do you think that is something I should re-evaluate? 

2012-04-09 12:40 PM

User image

England

Thanks for advice on the 'what to wear' issue. Looks like i'll have to splash out on Tri shorts and get some practice in before 'D' day.

Finally did my rain run. As it turned out, the rain eased significantly. Who says procrastination doesn't pay? Also set a new PR, which having only packed in the cigarettes (again), 5 hours ago, is not a bad result.

Daren't tell Yanti and Salty that i had started smoking again in the last pod because they would have given me a good THWACKING.

2012-04-09 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4136234

User image

Veteran
Maryland
KansasMom - 2012-04-08 12:24 AM

Good evening. We had a busy Saturday of not doing too much. I did manage a 3 mile run this afternoon.

I messed up the outside of my right knee on my ride yesterday -- it started aching sometime last evening. I iced it, etc. It's still a little sore. I decided to substitute the semi-long run I was planning (5-6 miles) for an easy 3, just to test everything. It doesn't hurt while I'm running (or cycling -- I did that today too for five minutes or so, checking the adjustments we made to the bars and seat), but it sure stiffens up on me when I'm not doing anything.

I'm going to baby it a little this week, but I should still be okay for Saturday. I'm wishing I could go swimming, but the pool is closed for Easter break and won't be open until Tuesday afternoon. Yikes. I'm missing that lovely chlorine smell. And I know 30 minutes of swimming would do wonders for my leg.

I hope everyone who celebrates it has a nice Easter tomorrow (today, if that's where you are).

Hope your knee gets better!

~Pauline

2012-04-09 12:49 PM

User image

Melon Presser
wushunut - 2012-04-09 11:22 PM

What kind of clip-ons? Okay, regardless of the type, even if they're shorty bars that don't extend past the brakes (which is ideally the only kind of clip-ons one would use with a road bike, but not everything can be ideal ... )

The difficulty with putting a road bike into a tri configuration is that it's not what a road bike was designed to do in conjunction with your body. You're putting additional stress on both the bike and your body--and particularly your upper body and lower back, even with a FF seat post, which also changes your position over the pedals. The bike is more difficult to handle when your weight is forward on it (as in a tri position) and you have to put more effort into it to keep the bike going in a straight line.

A really good bike fitter/positioner can put you in a hybrid position on a road bike with shorty bars (or those connected in the middle with flip-up elbow pads), which is much like what ITU racers use, and it can work for long-course as well.

Some people do fine with slapping clip-ons onto a road bike, messing with their position a bit and a lot, and finding something that works for them (or they never put in the volume of training to find out it doesn't). But if it isn't working for you, definitely put the dough into a fitting with someone who really understands hybrid positioning.

Worst case is that you can take a bunch of pictures, better yet video (ask me for instructions if you like) and let the BT bike fit gurus or me (notice I used the word "or") go to town on you. It's actually not a bad case since you don't lose anything by doing that and you might gain a lot.

2012-04-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4136047

User image

Veteran
Maryland
cggale - 2012-04-07 9:50 PM

Greetings fellow Manatees.  

Claire (cggale)

I'm a 41 years old.  2012 will be the start of my third year in tris.  I got into the crazy world of tris because of my awesome twin sister.  She is an elite level triathlete who challenged me three years ago to learn how to swim and start this amazing journey.  I was originally a runner in high school, so it tends to be my favorite of the three disciplines.  I'm a very slow swimmer but I enjoy how it makes me feel.  I'm a MOP biker hoping to improve next season.  I've learned a lot from this group and am exited to learn and share our questions, knowledge, and experiences.  

Family status

Married with two wonderful daughters age 11 and 6.  Family and work have made it a challenge to get in the training, but once the holidays are over and everything get's slowly back to normal ( is that possible?)  I will be able to train more consistently.  Right now, I fit in workouts when there are windows of opportunity.  Edit:  I'm following a mixture of half marathon and HIM training plans.  

2012 races

Let's see, I got the Carmel Sprint Triathlon next week, 1/2 marathon in May, Oly in May, HIM, in June scheduled.  I will probably do some shorter run races and a couple of extra triathlons later in the summer.  It's pretty full compared to last year, but I'm exited for the challenge.

Glad to be a part of the group.  

Unfortunately I'm allergic to the furry critters, so no furry children in our household.   But I love dogs and cats and have enjoyed seeing their pictures.  They are all so cute!!   

Hi Claire!

How great to have such an amazing sister! How did you learn how to swim?

~Pauline

2012-04-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4136384

User image

Veteran
Maryland
enders_shadow - 2012-04-08 8:28 AM
pdc33 - 2012-04-07 7:23 PM

And your name...Enders shadow....is that based on a book series where main character's name was Ender? Silly question, I know!

~Pauline

My favorite book of all time is Enders Game, but I love the whole series (including the Bean parallel track). Love love love.

Very cool! Several years ago I listened to many of the Ender's books on audio books. Really enjoyed them too!

~Pauline

2012-04-09 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4138354

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-10 1:40 AM

Thanks for advice on the 'what to wear' issue. Looks like i'll have to splash out on Tri shorts and get some practice in before 'D' day.

Finally did my rain run. As it turned out, the rain eased significantly. Who says procrastination doesn't pay? Also set a new PR, which having only packed in the cigarettes (again), 5 hours ago, is not a bad result.

Daren't tell Yanti and Salty that i had started smoking again in the last pod because they would have given me a good THWACKING.

I struggled with smoking off and on for FIVE YEARS into endurance sports (what's with that off and on shyte? I struggled all the time, it's just that sometimes I was successful for a period of time) until I moved to Bali, where EVERYfrickinBODY smokes. I call it the grace of God since I have no other way to explain it.

So I'm hardly one to thwack. That's Salty's job

You're not a Manatee alone in this, and by far not the only person on BT.

2012-04-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4138388

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-09 12:56 PM
ukweeble - 2012-04-10 1:40 AM

I struggled with smoking off and on for FIVE YEARS into endurance sports (what's with that off and on shyte? I struggled all the time, it's just that sometimes I was successful for a period of time) until I moved to Bali, where EVERYfrickinBODY smokes. I call it the grace of God since I have no other way to explain it.

So I'm hardly one to thwack. That's Salty's job

You're not a Manatee alone in this, and by far not the only person on BT.

Meh, I did enough "thwacking" of my mom and sister who smoked when I was a younger to realize that it only makes it worse.  I prefer a support role in this case. Although, think about how those times would drop sans cigarettes! 

2012-04-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4138336

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 1:32 AM

With ALL that being said, do you still agree with my(our) decision that weight training is probably not...at the top of my priority list right now or do you think that is something I should re-evaluate? 

FORK, no. Shouldn't even be ON your list. Look at your age, your personal circumstances, and your goals. And running in particular because of the stress it puts on you is a tough one to manage weight training with. NOW ... as you move up the elite ranks and reassess, this may change. But for now ... no. And you know that checking with people who really know what they're talking about is going to get you the very same answer, to a person.

Stretching and rolling is a different issue altogether and one you need to figure out personally. Sorry--I actually haven't paid any attention to what extent/whether you mention it in your logs, although I do stalk you. Perhaps it's because you haven't, in fact, mentioned them.

2012-04-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4138094

User image

Melon Presser

Artemis - 2012-04-09 11:57 PM Really didn't do anything like run this weekend.  Baby E just wanted mommy all weekend.  She now has 6 teeth visible under the gums and she will be 4 months old in two days.  Not so much fun coming for us!  Poor thing is not happy.

Teef? TEEF?! But she just popped out, like, yesterday!!!

2012-04-09 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4138399

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-09 1:00 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 1:32 AM

FORK, no. Shouldn't even be ON your list. Look at your age, your personal circumstances, and your goals. And running in particular because of the stress it puts on you is a tough one to manage weight training with. NOW ... as you move up the elite ranks and reassess, this may change. But for now ... no. And you know that checking with people who really know what they're talking about is going to get you the very same answer, to a person.

Stretching and rolling is a different issue altogether and one you need to figure out personally. Sorry--I actually haven't paid any attention to what extent/whether you mention it in your logs, although I do stalk you. Perhaps it's because you haven't, in fact, mentioned them.

Yeah, I don't really document that. I stretch and roll on a need-be basis. But I must admit, it is rare (i'm talking maybe twice a week?

The thing is, I have stretched and not stretched and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't say this because I think I am right, it is just an observation. I am generally not too sore or stiff but I will say that I always have had extremely tight hamstrings. Not painful or anything but I can HARDLY touch my toes. It's pathetic. 

2012-04-09 1:09 PM

User image

Melon Presser
wushunut - 2012-04-09 11:22 PM

Another idea is to ditch the clip-ons and just go with the road fit, since that's what's comfortable and is working for you. Whatever gets you the most T.I.T.S. (Time In The Saddle, for those unfamiliar with the cycling jargon) ... people do IMs with road bikes in road positions and do fine.

2012-04-09 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4136573

User image

Veteran
Maryland
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81