General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-11-08 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4488156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
peterliu88 - 2012-11-07 1:21 PM
runninirish - 2012-10-17 9:06 PM

erincs - 2012-10-17 2:00 PM Agree, the IM Perform is nasty stuff!  I plan to carry what I can and have a refill waiting in bike special needs.

I've been using it religiously in training for the past month.  I like Accelerade better...but would really like simplicity of living off the course.  I've been tinkering with intake, but hope to have it dialed in to a "T" come July.

I trained with Perform once I found out that's what was offered at IMFL.  It stained my water bottle like nothing else I've ever used.  I don't like the stuff but it is so much easier to use what the aid station offers.  I had a problem at IMFL with my bottle cage and was only limited to one functional holder.  The aid station bottle swap saved me.  I wind up swapping bottles at every station for the 2nd half of the bike.

Same with the run aid station.  May as well get use to the Perform during training.  I saw more than a few people ditching their fuel belt during the run.

Good luck with training everyone.

I have done Perform a couple times and even tho is not the best taste ever I can easily use it during train/race day.

Using on-course nutrition save u some weight on the bike/run.

My first year as a volunteer I saw a guy riding with Speedfill + bottle between bars + 2 on the back... pffff 

2012-11-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4486413

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
QUOTE]

I have heard this for a while now and you cannot answer me but I wish someone that lives on Long island can compare this percent grade with something down here.....I realize we do not have a 20 mile long hill but just so I can conceptualize the incline compared to something I have ridden before

No worries, there is no 20 mile hill at LP, and there really isn't anything that daunting. I say that being a rather slower, heavier rider. I do not believe there is anything greater than say 8% grade and none all that long. There are a couple of longer inclines and then the last 12 miles of the loop. The end of the ride is not one huge hill, it is a combination of climbs. This will be discussed again and again on this blog until race day. From strategy to gearing to pacing to nutrition and on and on.
2012-11-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4341496

Regular

Hi all- slowly starting the base over the past couple weeks.  A little something every day, but nothing all that rough.  Feels good to be moving again.  We got our first snow up here, which always gets the blood flowing!  Hope everyone stays healthy!

Been thinking about getting a coach... does anyone have any pointers for choosing one?

2012-11-10 7:53 AM

Regular
Brighton MA

youre in luck! they just posted this yesterday on BT

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2203

Great outlook on how to get a coach. do your research and make sure that you can work with them. Communication is key, I probably email my coach 2-3 times a day sometimes and he gets back to me quickly about training, what I should and shouldnt do, is this to much? to little? I wanna add yoga when can I do that...good luck in finding one!

2012-11-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4492779

Regular
espejo09 - 2012-11-10 8:53 AM

youre in luck! they just posted this yesterday on BT

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2203

Great outlook on how to get a coach. do your research and make sure that you can work with them. Communication is key, I probably email my coach 2-3 times a day sometimes and he gets back to me quickly about training, what I should and shouldnt do, is this to much? to little? I wanna add yoga when can I do that...good luck in finding one!

Thanks! I hadn't seen it, but it's a good one. My main reason for considering a coach is that I have been learning on my own for my couple years in the sport, but not improving all that much. I am gonna take my time with this decision; I figure I have a month or so. How is everyone else doing?
2012-11-12 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Finished my first week with QT2, so far so good - I'm really glad that I went with a coach - it's a motivator - I am determined to see how far and long I can go without missing a single yard or minute of the scheduled training.  That alone will by default, make HUGE improvements in my training results for next year.

2012-11-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4489582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

gatjr33 - 2012-11-08 10:45 AM Cornick, what exactly does 1.25 loops get you in LP. What ride the course once, do Keene hill again and then ride back??? Whatever you do, stay safe, you deserve a better experience this year.

It doesn't quite end up being 1.25.  Ends up being 66.x.  So go back through town, behind the school and head out like you normally would.  Take a left on Riverside Dr (the run out and back) and that puts you at the bottom of the bears again.

BUT! The best part of the day was riding on the BRAND NEW pavement on 86!! OMG was it gorgeous! The last photo you can see the new pavement...seriously that's why I stopped and took a picture there.  I know it's hard to see but it's sooo incredibly smooth.

Edited by cornick 2012-11-13 10:33 AM

(photo2.JPG)

(photo.JPG)

(photo1.JPG)

(photo3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo2.JPG (40KB - 29 downloads)
photo.JPG (34KB - 11 downloads)
photo1.JPG (51KB - 7 downloads)
photo3.JPG (36KB - 11 downloads)
2012-11-14 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I keep hearing good things about the pavement!!!

Yay!!!!!

2012-11-14 7:40 AM

User image

Pro

Great, it was a bumpy ride last year. Looking forward to heading up there to train.

Speaking of which, I still don't have housing. I need room for 7, preferably in town. If anyone runs across something, please let me know. So far it looks like houses are going for $3500/week. Eeek!

2012-11-14 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
How far apart are the aid stations on the bike?
2012-11-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4498663

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
runninirish - 2012-11-14 8:22 PMHow far apart are the aid stations on the bike?

The first one is about 7 miles out of town (near the top of the stair-stepping climbs up to the top of the Keene descent) and then they come roughly every 10 miles after that. If you live off the course you can go VERY light out of T1.

2012-11-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4496378

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
cornick - 2012-11-13 11:31 AM

gatjr33 - 2012-11-08 10:45 AM Cornick, what exactly does 1.25 loops get you in LP. What ride the course once, do Keene hill again and then ride back??? Whatever you do, stay safe, you deserve a better experience this year.

It doesn't quite end up being 1.25.  Ends up being 66.x.  So go back through town, behind the school and head out like you normally would.  Take a left on Riverside Dr (the run out and back) and that puts you at the bottom of the bears again.

BUT! The best part of the day was riding on the BRAND NEW pavement on 86!! OMG was it gorgeous! The last photo you can see the new pavement...seriously that's why I stopped and took a picture there.  I know it's hard to see but it's sooo incredibly smooth.

I never thought I would be so excited reading about new pavement, but I am! That is great.
2012-11-15 10:04 PM

Black Bear ( in the Pocono Mountains of PA) will now offer a 1/2 Iron distance now. Guessing the cancellation of Pocono 70.3 may have something to do with this. This will be a good lead up to IMLP as it is June 2nd. Registration has not yet opened. I will be racing and singing the National Anthem!
2012-11-16 6:01 AM
in reply to: #4500050

Veteran
Roanoke, VA

blee3 - 2012-11-15 11:04 PM Black Bear ( in the Pocono Mountains of PA) will now offer a 1/2 Iron distance now. Guessing the cancellation of Pocono 70.3 may have something to do with this. This will be a good lead up to IMLP as it is June 2nd. Registration has not yet opened. I will be racing and singing the National Anthem!

This is great news - I am very interested in this race.  Just curious where you saw this.  Their website just lists sprint & olympic.  Do you know when registration opens? 

Thanks.

2012-11-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4500050

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
Looks like the Black Bear half is May 19th and limited to 300 slots. Registration is open: http://blackbeartri.cgiracing.com/REGISTRATION.aspx I'd say jump on it if you're interested.

Edited by mdalsey 2012-11-16 10:17 AM
2012-11-19 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

Okay, I'm 3 weeks into a coaching program and wow, it's serious.  Having the coach does help keep you honest and working at the training, especially at this time of year.  I am surprised at the level of activity already - I'm not complaining, because I need to get used to it, especially for when the program ramps up next spring.  (It's so much easier when it gets light out earlier and stays light later in the day.)  I can see that after surviving a full Ironman, it would be hard to go back to being mortal.  If I was this focused while training for the HIM, I can see that my results would have been a lot different. 

Any other newbies out there getting whipped into shape?  How's it going?

Edited by cobratodd 2012-11-19 10:51 AM

2012-11-19 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

I haven't started a plan yet, I'm just doing what I want...everyday or as often as I can with work and two kids.

Ran 7 yesterday and 6 today.  Going to try and run 30 days straight...we'll see how that goes with a holiday mixed in there.

2012-11-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4498695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
TankBoy - 2012-11-14 7:49 PM

The first one is about 7 miles out of town (near the top of the stair-stepping climbs up to the top of the Keene descent) and then they come roughly every 10 miles after that. If you live off the course you can go VERY light out of T1.

That is the plan for me!  I hope to leave T1 with water and MAYBE a Perform bottle.  7 miles is usually about enough time to settle into your ride and get your body ready to start the calorie intake.

Anyone every mix different drinks?  For example, live off the course drinking Perform, but have a bottle of Accelerade in your special needs bag?  Bad idea?  Have not tried it.  Would obviously try it before hand...just wondering if anyone has before.

2012-11-20 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Okay ... so with the conclusion of the Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday, I guess I am officially no longer "run focused". I'll be a glutton through Thanksgiving and will complete the 20 minute trial on Trainer Road on Monday morning. Bring on the hurt!

Had an awesome marathon on Sunday. It wasn't a PR, but it was probably the best executed marathon I've put together. I was determined to run smart and pull off a negative split and I did just that. What an amazing feeling to finish that way. I'm still flying high.

Let's get this training started! 
2012-11-20 8:43 AM

Andover

I have been maintaining with about 6 hours a week between swimming, biking and running. I just stated with a personal trainer to work on my leg strength. Hoping for some improvement on the bike with stronger legs.

But my training is totally derailed at this point. Going to Disney after thanksgiving for 8 days with the family which is a good thing. I plan on doing some morning runs while I am there. 3 Days after I get back I have to go to China for a week for work which is a bad thing. I don't think I'll get too many workouts in while in China. Maybe hit the treadmill a couple of days in the hotel gym. I'll be loosing two full weekends due to travel to and from China. It should be interesting getting back into the routine of things after all of that.

My official plan really starts right after new years so I'll just have to do the best I can over the next few weeks. 

2012-11-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4504626

User image

Regular
runninirish - 2012-11-20 9:16 AM

That is the plan for me!  I hope to leave T1 with water and MAYBE a Perform bottle.  7 miles is usually about enough time to settle into your ride and get your body ready to start the calorie intake.

Anyone every mix different drinks?  For example, live off the course drinking Perform, but have a bottle of Accelerade in your special needs bag?  Bad idea?  Have not tried it.  Would obviously try it before hand...just wondering if anyone has before.

I mixed it up last year.  I left T1 with a "throw away" bottle of stuff that I call Liquid Powerbar.  It is actually the store brand nutrition shake (vanilla) from Target.  It has nearly an identical nutritional profile as a Powerbar.  I didn't have much of anything for about 20 minutes and then started sipping it for the rest of the first hour at which point I dropped it at an aid station.  Then, I took Perform and water bottles from the aid stations.  I also left T1 with one bottle/cage full of orange flavored Gatorade.  This bottle was frozen solid at 7.00 a.m.  A friend had suggested taking something with a totally different flavor but similar profile onto the course in case my body suddenly flinched at the stuff I had practiced with.  Since I had trained exclusively with the Liquid Powerbar and Perform, the Gatorade was my backup.  I finished the six hour ride with about a third of the bottle left.  I drank from it whenever I needed a little something but didn't really want the lemon lime Perform or whenever the bottle in the other cage was empty but I wasn't yet to an aid station.

It worked well for me -- it was a "just in case" strategy because despite all the training and practice a change in elevation or wind or temperature or nerves etc. could have messed with my stomach or head.

2012-11-20 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4504871

User image

New user

Washington, DC
klassman - 2012-11-20 11:48 AM
runninirish - 2012-11-20 9:16 AM

I mixed it up last year.  I left T1 with a "throw away" bottle of stuff that I call Liquid Powerbar.  It is actually the store brand nutrition shake (vanilla) from Target.  It has nearly an identical nutritional profile as a Powerbar.  I didn't have much of anything for about 20 minutes and then started sipping it for the rest of the first hour at which point I dropped it at an aid station.  Then, I took Perform and water bottles from the aid stations.  I also left T1 with one bottle/cage full of orange flavored Gatorade.  This bottle was frozen solid at 7.00 a.m.  A friend had suggested taking something with a totally different flavor but similar profile onto the course in case my body suddenly flinched at the stuff I had practiced with.  Since I had trained exclusively with the Liquid Powerbar and Perform, the Gatorade was my backup.  I finished the six hour ride with about a third of the bottle left.  I drank from it whenever I needed a little something but didn't really want the lemon lime Perform or whenever the bottle in the other cage was empty but I wasn't yet to an aid station.

It worked well for me -- it was a "just in case" strategy because despite all the training and practice a change in elevation or wind or temperature or nerves etc. could have messed with my stomach or head.

Ditto Kent...I am a fan of living off the course, removes a ton of variables, I will leave T1 with a bottle of Accelerade in the cage, and a flask of Hammer gel, plus either a powerbar/clif bar or similar. What did me in during my most recent half was skipping the solids on the bike. Of course, YMMV, and Accelerade may not be the best choice during a super hot race as the taste drops off precipitously as it warms.

2012-11-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4504654

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

BernardDogs - 2012-11-20 9:37 AM Okay ... so with the conclusion of the Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday, I guess I am officially no longer "run focused". I'll be a glutton through Thanksgiving and will complete the 20 minute trial on Trainer Road on Monday morning. Bring on the hurt!

Had an awesome marathon on Sunday. It wasn't a PR, but it was probably the best executed marathon I've put together. I was determined to run smart and pull off a negative split and I did just that. What an amazing feeling to finish that way. I'm still flying high.

Let's get this training started! 

Awesome Job, BernardDogs! It sounds like you paced it perfectly. Aren't you REALLY more interested in working on your run for the next few months instead of Lake Placid, what with that BQ time and all

(especially because we don't really need anymore of you fasties in the 45-49 age group at IMLP...!)

Seriously - that is an awesome performance  - congratulations!

2012-11-20 12:45 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

So it seems like the IMLP group is getting fired up today?! You would almost think that we only have 35 weeks left to get ready for it.

oh, wait.....

2012-11-20 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4505059

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
TankBoy - 2012-11-20 1:43 PM

Awesome Job, BernardDogs! It sounds like you paced it perfectly. Aren't you REALLY more interested in working on your run for the next few months instead of Lake Placid, what with that BQ time and all

(especially because we don't really need anymore of you fasties in the 45-49 age group at IMLP...!)

Seriously - that is an awesome performance  - congratulations!

Ha! I actually bailed on Boston 2013 when I added up the budget. Something had to give, so I signed up as a pacer for my hometown spring marathon (free entry) and scratched off Boston. I'm actually still in the hole for my training budget from IMLP registration and a new Garmin. The pacing gig will be a good way to keep my mileage up without the stress of racing for time. This was my only opportunity to BQ for 2014, so I'm glad it all worked out.

Now I just need to figure out how to run strong off the bike. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59