BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-02-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED

They just asked about running shoes in the other thread I am part of and this was my response:

I have racing flats that I only race in (other than maybe a race prep or two where I wear them in marathon training)

I have a very diverse rotation going. All of my shoes are minimal in nature but vary widely. I've got some Nike Frees (a couple versions) some Brooks PureConnects, NB Minimus, Nike XC flats, Brooks Green Silence and 2 pair of trail shoes (One North Face and one Adidas.) My racing flats are Brooks T7s. 

I never wear one pair twice in a row. I just feel like shoe companies are constantly changing their shoes so I hate to rely on any one specific make and model.

As far as heel drop goes? Totally personal preference. Everyone runs differently. Shoes are pretty personal and what I do may not make a lot of sense for everyone

2013-02-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4609751

User image

Pennsylvania
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 2:43 PM
bcraht - 2013-02-05 2:34 PM

Grrrrrr.  I hate it when they change the model!  Hope it all gets fixed up soon. 

I checked all of the local and online places that I could think of and went on eBay to try to get the Ghost 4s!  No luck!

Did you not find them at all or just not in your size?  I just found some women's Ghost 4s on road runner sports and Amazon

2013-02-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4609866

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
melbo55 - 2013-02-05 3:37 PM
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 2:43 PM
bcraht - 2013-02-05 2:34 PM

Grrrrrr.  I hate it when they change the model!  Hope it all gets fixed up soon. 

I checked all of the local and online places that I could think of and went on eBay to try to get the Ghost 4s!  No luck!

Did you not find them at all or just not in your size?  I just found some women's Ghost 4s on road runner sports and Amazon

No size 10s.  :-/

2013-02-05 4:10 PM

User image

Elite

So at the weekend we had no hot water - now fixed but that meant a few icy cold showers including hair - and last night I fell out of bed twice.....got the dizzy inner ear syndrome going on again.

It's not as bad as last time but even so.  I still had some of the prescription left from last time so popped one this morning.

I've had no incidents vertical it just seems to be lying down.

Got OWS tonight so let's see how we go with that! 

2013-02-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4609622

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 10:39 AM

On noooo you didn't! 

I read about your experience yesterday but didn't have a chance to comment. Too freaky-dinky funneh!!! Though I'm sure you've been scarred for life now. Surprised

2013-02-05 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ok, my shoe observations start with the ever popular "try them all and choose what works for you". That said, I started with some New Balance shoes and orthotics. The inserts didn't ever feel right, so I took them out and went on. The shoes were a 10 mm drop, and just felt good. However, I found that NB's wore out quick for me. I have since gone through Saucony's. I loved the Guide 3 and 4, but they changed when they made the 5 and am on to Asisc's now. I race in PI isoTransitions, they just plain feel good. I am looking for a pair of PI's for training as well. I am going to start working the heel drop down a bit, so I may go to an 8. I don't think it'll make a big deal, but I am hesitant to jump down to a "minimal" or zero drop shoe. I think I'd notice that. I primarily stick to a stability shoe, but I do have an inexpensive pair of Ride's that are neutral that I use for occasional training. And I have a pair of Montrail Masochist II's that I use for trails. They are pretty nice, but a bit thick for Florida. I try to keep about 3-4 pair in rotation, so that no pair is ever worn twice in a row. I think (or is it hope) that this gives them time to dry.

I have come to the following conclusions:

1. I will buy at the end of the shoe season whenever possible due to pricing. 
  2. I would love to find one pair that made me supremely comfortable, but I know the style will change in a few versions anyway.
  3. I have very little faith in the sales people at the LRS's that I have gone to and will continue to search for a better one. I have been sold useless inserts and incorrect sizes and had two different people analyze my gait completely differently. 1 said I pronate, the other said I have a perfect stride. I have learned to trust myself and how I feel.
  4. I wear out the heel of a shoe fast. Real fast. It becomes costly, so see #1. I tried to fix this and ended up in more pain. I run how I run, it ain't fast, nor pretty, but I get from point A to point B in a fairly comfortable manner.
I hope that helps Janyne. I want to try some Brooks, Zoot's and PI's. I tried Zoot and liked them, but ended up with the PI's as they filled the need I had at the time (lightweight, quick change, comfortable, priced to please). I've done online and in person purchases and I prefer to try on a bunch of shoes, so live wins for me.

2013-02-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4610114

User image

Master
4agoodlife - 2013-02-05 2:45 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 10:39 AM

On noooo you didn't! 

I read about your experience yesterday but didn't have a chance to comment. Too freaky-dinky funneh!!! Though I'm sure you've been scarred for life now. Surprised

How's your boy?

2013-02-05 5:19 PM

User image

Master

Kirsten- Much better! Thanks for asking

Friday night he looked like bottom pic and was really scaring me.  Antibiotics finally kicked in and by Saturday night he looked like top one. Back at school yesterday. Whew!!!

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-02-05 5:20 PM

(20130202_210939.jpg)

(20130201_161752.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20130202_210939.jpg (28KB - 4 downloads)
20130201_161752.jpg (48KB - 4 downloads)
2013-02-05 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4609721

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 1:30 PM
cdban66 - 2013-02-05 7:28 AM

Janyne - I hope the blister issue is one that you can work through and it doesn't derail anything. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Chris!  I hope that you are doing well too!

Yes, the blisters are just blisters.  The one on my left foot is large but not painful.  It's definitely caused by the orthotics.  I have an appointment to bring them back again. In the meantime, I have swapped back to SuperFeet again.

I have developed one on my right foot as well and it reminded my why I changed from Saucony's in the first place -- they run wide on my heel and narrow at the widest part of my foot.  Anyway, it's small and not really a problem.  I did an hour run at lunch today and both were OK. 

A year or so ago, I was running in Saucony Guide's with blue superfeet (Guide's are motion control).  I had some issues and they running store swapped me to Brooks Ghost with green superfeet (Ghost is a neutral show and green gives more support than blue so end result somewhat similar).  The Ghosts and I got along great and then I developed that hip/psoas issue leading up to Vineman.  I'm still not sure if it was bike fit or running that was the root cause.  Anyway, that's where the orthotics came in.  After Vineman, I ran in the Ghosts with orthotics and that was great!  The bomb!  I did a half marathon in them and we were good! 

Then the Ghosts needed to be replaced and Trouble started.  The new model of the Ghosts (Ghost 5) and the orthotics and my feet did not play well together at all.  I brought the Ghost 5s back to the running store and they swapped me to Saucony Ride's (neutral shoes) with the orthotics and that worked kinda for a while -- better than the Ghost 5s at least.  Until they didn't work well and I went back to the orthotics peeps.  The thing is, I would have kept the Brooks it I was going to run in superfeet, the only reason that I went back to the Saucony's was the orthotics.

Oh well, these shoes are about half gone anyway.  I can replace them after the Gator Half, right?

So what are the orthotics supposed to be correcting in the first place?

Also, when you say the Sauconys stopped "working" what do you mean?

2013-02-05 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4610156

User image

Master
4agoodlife - 2013-02-05 3:19 PM

Kirsten- Much better! Thanks for asking

Friday night he looked like bottom pic and was really scaring me.  Antibiotics finally kicked in and by Saturday night he looked like top one. Back at school yesterday. Whew!!!

Yay!  Glad to hear it.

2013-02-05 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4610159

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 6:19 PM

Janyne - I hope the blister issue is one that you can work through and it doesn't derail anything. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, the blisters are just blisters.  The one on my left foot is large but not painful.  It's definitely caused by the orthotics.  I have an appointment to bring them back again. In the meantime, I have swapped back to SuperFeet again.

I have developed one on my right foot as well and it reminded my why I changed from Saucony's in the first place -- they run wide on my heel and narrow at the widest part of my foot.  Anyway, it's small and not really a problem.  I did an hour run at lunch today and both were OK. 

A year or so ago, I was running in Saucony Guide's with blue superfeet (Guide's are motion control).  I had some issues and they running store swapped me to Brooks Ghost with green superfeet (Ghost is a neutral show and green gives more support than blue so end result somewhat similar).  The Ghosts and I got along great and then I developed that hip/psoas issue leading up to Vineman.  I'm still not sure if it was bike fit or running that was the root cause.  Anyway, that's where the orthotics came in.  After Vineman, I ran in the Ghosts with orthotics and that was great!  The bomb!  I did a half marathon in them and we were good! 

Then the Ghosts needed to be replaced and Trouble started.  The new model of the Ghosts (Ghost 5) and the orthotics and my feet did not play well together at all.  I brought the Ghost 5s back to the running store and they swapped me to Saucony Ride's (neutral shoes) with the orthotics and that worked kinda for a while -- better than the Ghost 5s at least.  Until they didn't work well and I went back to the orthotics peeps.  The thing is, I would have kept the Brooks it I was going to run in superfeet, the only reason that I went back to the Saucony's was the orthotics.

Oh well, these shoes are about half gone anyway.  I can replace them after the Gator Half, right?

The PT feels that pronation caused (or at least was a big contributor to) the hip problem over the summer.  

When I had the Ghost 4s, I loved the orthotics.  When I changed to the Ghost 5s, I got a huge blister on my left instep.  When I changed to the Saucony's there was no blister problem for the first several weeks but now

Saucony Ride 5 + othotics = blister 

Saucony Ride 5 + superfeet =! blister

The blister starts to come on at about mile 5 and is pretty apparent by mile 7.  With the Brooks Ghost 5s, it was painful and I dorked myself up by running on the outside of my left foot.  With the Saucony Ride 5s its not painful for the run that it happens on but then It continues to tear at it self and the next run it *is* painful.

I am guessing that the Ghost 5s were more flexible that the Ride 5s were out of the box and that as I use the Ride 5s more, they are becoming more flexible.  

2013-02-05 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4610173

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 5:33 PM

The PT feels that pronation caused (or at least was a big contributor to) the hip problem over the summer.  

When I had the Ghost 4s, I loved the orthotics.  When I changed to the Ghost 5s, I got a huge blister on my left instep.  When I changed to the Saucony's there was no blister problem for the first several weeks but now

The blister starts to come on at about mile 5 and is pretty apparent by mile 7.  With the Brooks Ghost 5s, it was painful and I dorked myself up by running on the outside of my left foot.  With the Saucony Ride 5s its not painful for the run that it happens on but then It continues to tear at it self and the next run it *is* painful.

I am guessing that the Ghost 5s were more flexible that the Ride 5s were out of the box and that as I use the Ride 5s more, they are becoming more flexible.  

So, two totally separate issues. Forgive me if you have already answered these questions.

1. The hip pain. Just out of curiosity have you tried running without the orthotics or superfeet lately? And did the PT say overpronation or underpronation?

2. Blisters. So are you saying that it's the orthotics (or superfeet) in the shoe that is causing the blisters? Interesting that it sets in around 5-7 miles. Do you think it's because your feet are starting to get moist from sweat at that point? Have you tried all the remedies (powder, body glide, vaseline etc?)

2013-02-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4610173

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 3:33 PM

Ooooh I know this one.  I posted pics of mine Embarassed.  Whenever I get a new pair of shoes (Adistar Rides) my orthotics cause hideous blisters.  I usually duct tape for a few runs, then they are fine.  I had forgotten this when I switched to New Balance shoes for one go 'round.  When I went back to the Ride, I remembered that I had that issue.  Problem is, the Ride is the only shoe that seems to work for me--so I tolerate the blister issue.

2013-02-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4609563

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 1:09 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-02-05 11:20 AM
TriAya - 2013-02-05 10:53 AM

amd723 - 2013-02-04 3:32 PM I was slammed at work today, so this is the first opportunity I've had to look at this thread. Once again I find myself way behind!So, congrats to all who raced so successfully this past weekend and to those whose health is improving. Salty, I know you put up a warning about your encounter, but like a train crash, I had to look. I'm sorry I did and can't believe you didn't say something or do something to Mr Spanks.Yanti, that is some tan line you're sporting in your latest avitar

Why thank you! See, ahm a legitimate trafflete!

Haha, I still have my tan lines from my century ride in September.

What is this "tan" you all speak of?

It came from seven hours in the sun with no sunscreen.  Could have done the ride faster than that, but was helping some friends make the distance.  So... maybe not a tan, maybe a pre-cancer warning not to do forget sunscreen again.

2013-02-05 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4610159

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Good question on the orthotics.  I got them to fix my plantar fasciitis.  After spending all last year trying different things, they solved the problem.  I can run again!  Imagine going a whole year without running.  It's awful.  As to what it corrected, I don't know that I understand it all, but the alignment of my ankle was off, and something to do with the locking mechanism of the foot wasn't functioning correctly.

As for me, I've been using Sauconys for at least 10 years now, and am enjoying my Kinvara 1s.  Will be picking up my Kinvara 3s next weekend.

2013-02-05 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4610210

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 7:22 PM
jmkizer - 2013-02-05 5:33 PM

So, two totally separate issues. Forgive me if you have already answered these questions.

1. The hip pain. Just out of curiosity have you tried running without the orthotics or superfeet lately? And did the PT say overpronation or underpronation?

2. Blisters. So are you saying that it's the orthotics (or superfeet) in the shoe that is causing the blisters? Interesting that it sets in around 5-7 miles. Do you think it's because your feet are starting to get moist from sweat at that point? Have you tried all the remedies (powder, body glide, vaseline etc?)

As for the blisters, have you tried going up a shoe size?  That helps as well. Or maybe getting a wide shoe where the orthotic would fit better.

2013-02-05 7:26 PM

User image

Master
6.25mi trail run. Yippee!!! LOVE being out in the evening
2013-02-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4610281

User image

Elite

97F here - so lunchtime run will be delayed until after OWS - perfect weather for that!  May even skip the wetsuit!

Ear balance thing seems kind of settled.  Bed tonight is when I'll know for sure.

Been looking at my running - I'm streaking again, day 7 today - too much mileage.....I think if I was training according to plan I'd do a long run this week of 25km and 2x10km.  So I will keep the long run for Friday night - that leaves 20km to be spread over 6 days....I already did 10km...So need to cut back.

Thanks Manatees for that pearl of wisdom - weekly mileage divided by 7.  doh!

2013-02-06 4:39 AM

User image

Elite
Despite being dizzy and a bit if a blubbering mess today the end if the day turned on the charm. Beautiful OWS 2.5km give or take absolutely gorgeous at the beach and then a run with the sun setting on the ocean....git home to the news my nephews wife gave birth to a baby boyI am now a Great Aunt!
2013-02-06 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
15 minutes into my run this morning IT Band tightened up. I'm really trying to stay positive but 8 weeks out from my first 70.3 and I can only run 15 minutes??
2013-02-06 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4610577

User image

Melon Presser

JJ- - 2013-02-06 7:33 PM 15 minutes into my run this morning IT Band tightened up. I'm really trying to stay positive but 8 weeks out from my first 70.3 and I can only run 15 minutes??

If I were you I'd take a serious look at aquajogging: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

Another option would be to take walk breaks as well as run easier and see if that helps.

Another option, and this is really iffy, but it's an option--definitely to be discussed with a PT/doctor before trying--is the Cho-Pat IT strap or another similar. It straps on right above your knee and helps to hold the insertion of the IT band in place so that there's less friction of the band as you run.

I feel for you. I really do.

2013-02-06 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4610604

User image

Veteran
East Texas
TriAya - 2013-02-06 6:14 AM

JJ- - 2013-02-06 7:33 PM 15 minutes into my run this morning IT Band tightened up. I'm really trying to stay positive but 8 weeks out from my first 70.3 and I can only run 15 minutes??

If I were you I'd take a serious look at aquajogging: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

Another option would be to take walk breaks as well as run easier and see if that helps.

Another option, and this is really iffy, but it's an option--definitely to be discussed with a PT/doctor before trying--is the Cho-Pat IT strap or another similar. It straps on right above your knee and helps to hold the insertion of the IT band in place so that there's less friction of the band as you run.

I feel for you. I really do.

I don't think my pool allows that. I've read about the strap and a cortisone shot but I don't want to make the injury worse. If I have to sacrifice Galveston to heal then I guess I will just have too but I really don't want to. I'm headed back to doc this morning. Well see what he says

2013-02-06 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4610210

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2013-02-05 7:22 PM

Um.  I'm pretty sure over.  Also, I have very flat feet.  They were not always this way but now -- flat.

Yes, no orthotics = no blister.  You may be on to something with the wet socks thing.  I have tried body glide but not the others.  I have not had blister problems until the past few months so I totally blamed the orthotics.  That may not have been the best thinking.

2013-02-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4610236

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
bcraht - 2013-02-05 7:45 PM

Ooooh I know this one.  I posted pics of mine Embarassed.  Whenever I get a new pair of shoes (Adistar Rides) my orthotics cause hideous blisters.  I usually duct tape for a few runs, then they are fine.  I had forgotten this when I switched to New Balance shoes for one go 'round.  When I went back to the Ride, I remembered that I had that issue.  Problem is, the Ride is the only shoe that seems to work for me--so I tolerate the blister issue.

Explain about the duct tape.  I did read something about it but it seemed like a bad plan on top of existing blisters but once they heal up...

2013-02-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4610321

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jobaxas - 2013-02-05 9:03 PM

Ear balance thing seems kind of settled.  Bed tonight is when I'll know for sure.

Let's not go down that path again!  Especially with SIL around, not like you can lay around and be alone :-/

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106