Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-03-19 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4665616

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 7:58 AM It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

Bingo.  Especially in a show that is jam packed full of details like Elementary (it's normally a well written show).  It's about Sherlock Holmes, the guy who can determine if you've been to African based on the smell of your sweat or the lint on your jacket.  Do you think he'd really not know a semi-auto does not fire in 3 round bursts?

It's it a major conspiracy?  No.  It's about as important as an "easter egg" slipped into a movie or video game.  It was the writer making his statement.  However it was intentional.  I guarantee that.

2013-03-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4665578

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

DanielG - 2013-03-19 7:16 AM Per the Zombiapocolypse thread in this mess: I've been contemplating the ideal bug-out handgun and I do believe I'm going to have to find myself a Medusa one of these days. .38, .380, 9mm, .38 Super, .357, and any other 9mm or .38 caliber type. Seems to me that would be a hell of a "whatever I can scrounge" useful firearm. The no spare parts and company no longer in business does have drawbacks, though.

Wow, I had never heard of that sidearm.  Pretty neat.

I know a few company experimented with inserts that go into the chamber to allow for smaller calibers to be fired.  Even saw an adapter for a shotgun that fired rifle rounds.  This seems a bit safer.

2013-03-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4665613

User image

tealeaf - 2013-03-19 7:56 AM

DanielG - 2013-03-19 7:00 AM
tealeaf - 2013-03-19 5:39 AM

I think that the news media misuses all sorts of terms related to all sorts of issues for one main reason... to get eyeballs on their story... I think they're trying to get ratings. Same with misusing gun terminology.

No. It's not.
TL;DR

I'll refer you to the Occam's Razor reference earlier in the thread.

I'll even grant you that different news organizations, for example FOX News, tailor word choice in their stories to their audience. But at the end of the day, it's much more about ratings than it is some random copy editor trying to influence politics.

You have GOT to be kidding. The NBC newsies came out and said they spliced the video of the sheriff shooting a full auto weapon onto the impact of a handgun just because it was more dramatic.

The Sheriff said he was shooting into the ground when he was using the single shot and was shooting the cinderblocks when he was shooting the "assault weapon"

These admissions were only after the raw footage came to light, though. Yeah, too long, didn't read. You might want to take a lesson from some of these anchors who slant the news and actually research your topic by reading some of the things written about them.

2013-03-19 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4665644

User image

TriRSquared - 2013-03-19 8:26 AM

DanielG - 2013-03-19 7:16 AM Per the Zombiapocolypse thread in this mess: I've been contemplating the ideal bug-out handgun and I do believe I'm going to have to find myself a Medusa one of these days. .38, .380, 9mm, .38 Super, .357, and any other 9mm or .38 caliber type. Seems to me that would be a hell of a "whatever I can scrounge" useful firearm. The no spare parts and company no longer in business does have drawbacks, though.

I know a few company experimented with inserts that go into the chamber to allow for smaller calibers to be fired.  Even saw an adapter for a shotgun that fired rifle rounds.  This seems a bit safer.

Nah, this one is pretty safe. Remember a 9mm is .355, a .38 is .357 and just about every version of 9mm, .38 etc is between those two.

There's rumour of another .45 version by another company. We'll see how far that comes to panning out, though.

2013-03-19 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4665652

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
DanielG - 2013-03-19 8:28 AM

Nah, this one is pretty safe. Remember a 9mm is .355, a .38 is .357 and just about every version of 9mm, .38 etc is between those two. There's rumour of another .45 version by another company. We'll see how far that comes to panning out, though.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant "this", meaning the Medusa, seems safer.  That rifle round in a shot gun barrel looked a wee bit sketchy...

2013-03-19 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4665664

User image

TriRSquared - 2013-03-19 8:42 AM

Nah, this one is pretty safe. Remember a 9mm is .355, a .38 is .357 and just about every version of 9mm, .38 etc is between those two. There's rumour of another .45 version by another company. We'll see how far that comes to panning out, though.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant "this", meaning the Medusa, seems safer.  That rifle round in a shot gun barrel looked a wee bit sketchy...

Ahhh, never seen that one. I see a lot of pistols with just barely the hint of rifling that are set up for .45 LC and .410 shotshells (The Judge being the best advertised) but that's a full power load that can also take shot.

I've seen sleeves both chamber only and full barrel sleeves that allow a 12 Ga to shoot 20 Ga, a 20 Ga to shoot 28 Ga and 28 Ga to shoot .410. Got a set of those chamber ones that if I got a wild hair I could shoot .410 out of my 12 Ga. I'm not sure I'd do that without a string on the trigger and me around the corner, though. They came with an 1880 shotgun I got. Damascus steel, the whole "If it's dangerous, it's probably built into this shotgun" works.

Never seen a sleeve for shooting rifle rounds, though. Perhaps they were a traumatic thought and I blocked the memory just thinking about it. Yeah, I agree, that's about as comfortable a thought to me as shooting the damascus 12 Ga with modern rounds. Yikes!

2013-03-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4665676

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
DanielG - 2013-03-19 8:53 AM
TriRSquared - 2013-03-19 8:42 AM

Ahhh, never seen that one. I see a lot of pistols with just barely the hint of rifling that are set up for .45 LC and .410 shotshells (The Judge being the best advertised) but that's a full power load that can also take shot. I've seen sleeves both chamber only and full barrel sleeves that allow a 12 Ga to shoot 20 Ga, a 20 Ga to shoot 28 Ga and 28 Ga to shoot .410. Got a set of those chamber ones that if I got a wild hair I could shoot .410 out of my 12 Ga. I'm not sure I'd do that without a string on the trigger and me around the corner, though. They came with an 1880 shotgun I got. Damascus steel, the whole "If it's dangerous, it's probably built into this shotgun" works. Never seen a sleeve for shooting rifle rounds, though. Perhaps they were a traumatic thought and I blocked the memory just thinking about it. Yeah, I agree, that's about as comfortable a thought to me as shooting the damascus 12 Ga with modern rounds. Yikes!

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/23/x-caliber-survival-rifle-gauge-adapter-system/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQRwx0BTLE

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-03-19 9:02 AM
2013-03-19 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4665616

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 6:58 AM

It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

It doesn't really matter that it doesn't match the scene. It matters that the media is colluding to intentionally confuse people to drum up support for a gun ban that is misplaced, and supported by people who are not educated on the firearms they want to ban?

Is it always intentional? IOW, are you saying that you believe that everything one sees on tv that is factually inaccurate is done so on purpose to advance some agenda? Or do you believe this deliberate attempt by the media to mislead is specific only to guns? So, for example, when you watch House, and he makes a diagnosis that is medically innacurate, or prescribes a medicine that would have no actual effect on the disease in question, is that the media's purposeful attempt to mislead the public about the medical profession? And if so, to what end?

2013-03-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4665824

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-19 10:23 AM

GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 6:58 AM

It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

It doesn't really matter that it doesn't match the scene. It matters that the media is colluding to intentionally confuse people to drum up support for a gun ban that is misplaced, and supported by people who are not educated on the firearms they want to ban?

Is it always intentional? IOW, are you saying that you believe that everything one sees on tv that is factually inaccurate is done so on purpose to advance some agenda? Or do you believe this deliberate attempt by the media to mislead is specific only to guns?

I'm purposefully ignoring all the House stuff.

At one point, it was very intentional to show firearms in a manner that was not logical to anyone who knew anything about firearms.

It was a gentleman's agreement that the movies would not show miscreants committing crimes in a way that someone watching could emulate and get away with the crime.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents was a perfect example of this one. If you watch them, not one of the bad guys ever walks away clean. There are a couple/few where the closing monologue Hitchcock said something akin to, "Of course, (s)he did not get away with this crime as authorities caught, tried and convicted the person..."

That's why the screwing the silences onto a revolver is so common in older movies.

I, for one, just about completely ignore fictional shows' depiction of firearms. If you want an example of "Damn, that MUST be intentional" for trying to depict firearms negatively, all you have to do with watch Political Weapon 4 -er- I mean Lethal Weapon 4 Donner hates citizens owning any firearms and it shows. Look at the NRA posters in the background at the police station if you have any idea any of that horsehockey is accidental.

News shows, on the other hand, 20/20, 60 minutes, 10 o'clock news, whatever, have been purposely confusing people about semi-auto vs full auto for years and they're damn sure doing it on purpose.

The way I see it, a news agency while reporting news (not opinion or op-ed) should at least do the basic research for all of their topics, guns included. If they have a story where they talk about machine guns and show a semi-auto, for instance, there are only two reasons for it:

1) They did insufficient research about their topic and have shown everything they say about the topic can be discarded due to poor research.
OR
2) They intentionally lied about their topic, in which case everything they say about the topic can be discarded due to poor research as well as intentional misstatement of the facts.

Either way, they then are not a reliable source for any future story on that topic. Matter of fact, it makes me wonder about topics I know nothing about. If they are that poor researching something I know about, how screwed up is their reporting about topics I want to know about but only have this news agency's word on the facts?

2013-03-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4662722

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
rkreuser - 2013-03-16 8:56 PM
Left Brain - 2013-03-16 8:37 PM
rkreuser - 2013-03-16 7:18 PM
Left Brain - 2013-03-16 8:09 PM
rkreuser - 2013-03-16 6:48 PM
Left Brain - 2013-03-16 7:41 PM
rkreuser - 2013-03-16 4:42 AM
Kido - 2013-03-15 4:52 PM

I also agree with the range that's not properly supervised by the range master.  Lots of cowboys.  There hasn't been a reported incident I can recall yet, but in Vegas there are TONS of ranges that cater to tourists to allow them to shoot handguns to full blown machine guns.  I assume the range is safe and my nervousness may be unfounded, but the thought of a bunch of tourists or foreigners that have only seen guns on TV behind a M249 SAW?  Probably the same kind of nervousness I get when I see a driver drifting lanes or a "student driver" sign.  I give a little extra space.

For good reason. This was reported when I was in the UK last week. 

For me, it speaks not to the dangers of a range master not properly supervising, but just the sheer environmental danger of being anyplace around - well thought out or not - someone discharging a firearm.

I'll pass, thanks. 

Same reason that although I love cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, I wouldn't do so again in the beautiful woods of Northern Michigan. I've seen hunters shooting from car windows while driving, from moving snowmobiles, and having had to put down their bottle of liquor to take their shot.  

Those weren't hunters,  they were idiots and criminals.....and if you saw it in person did you report it?   I've seen the videos of that kind of garbage, but that's not even remotely considered normal, and you'd have to spend many days in the woods to ever come across it.

Sadly, that's what you don't see. And what lots of people don't see, or choose not to.  

Every single time I reported it. Every single time..."couldn't find 'em, thanks, and let us know if you see it again".

It undermines the agenda. For every gun advocate that is trained and law abiding, there are some measure of those that use their rifle as a walking stick in the snow, buy one on the black market, go off the reservation in the use of said weapon, and make what should be a fairly easy argument to make incredibly hard. 

I will say this, at the risk of igniting a firestorm (after which I'll bow out quickly, as I don't have the time, energy, or passion to discuss): I saw a talking head the other day that made a phenomenal point, and I'll sum it up as such:

The current equation is not sustainable...people with guns are behaving badly, and society, in total, will not stand for it....so something needs to change, and the math is simple. You can regulate guns, or you can regulate people. Which would you choose? Guns seem like the lesser of the evils.

I tend to agree. 

And to be clear, I'm not a gun advocate or hater, although I shy away from them. 

How many times?  I have spent a great deal of my life in the woods, hunting.....I've never seen it in person.

As for your last comment.....if you don't want to create a firestorm thenwhy use it?  The FACT is, people who behave poorly with guns is such a small minority that it's hardly worth mentioning.   Go pull up stats on people behaving poorly with ANY object......see whhat you get.  Some people are stupid.....the overwhelming majority are not.  I don't believe in dumbing down so that the idiots of the world have relevance.

Let's go with 6 times, that I can recall. BTW, did the same for drunk folks on snowmobiles, but 1) they tend to solve their own issue, and 2) the result is the same. I stop short of calling out drunk ice fishers. Let 'em go. 

And to your Q: I just thought it was a prescient observation, one that people with passion on the subject might be interested in. I don't have a dog in the fight. I just won't participate. But I'm interested to see the reactions and thoughts of the folks that are interested. 

Last thing, then I'll officially be out: you mentioned that you don't advocate 'dumbing down' the standards to deal with the 'vast minority'. Two points here...do you really know it's the vast minority?  And 2nd, probably more importantly, I've gotta assume you're in the responsible x% of gun owners...trained, lawful, respectful. What about the 100-x% that aren't?  Are you willing to live with them - whether they be 20% or 70%, as beneficiaries of your position?

Again...food for thought. I'm interested in the discourse, not advocating a position myself. I see it pretty clearly, for me. 

I already live with them, and so do you.  The fact is, they are alot less dangerous then you would try to make people believe, and way less dangerous than other behavior.

On another note....there are already tens of thousands of gun laws on the books.........from your position, with the problem, ,in your mind,  being as big as it is, how do you figure putting more regulations on the books for me to follow fixes your problem?

Wowser, read the posts I've put there, unemotionally and without reactivity. 

Where did I say I advocated more regulations on the books?  This is where the 2nd A fanatics lose credibility. Any attempt at discourse is viewed as an attempt to further regulate. 

And further, read the post: I didn't say the problem was big. I say with conviction that with CNN, 24x7 media coverage and freedom of the press, the hype machines of both parties, twitter and the like, that the status quo will not remain, it can't. It may be a small problem in the scheme of things, I don't know. I just know that neither party will let it be a small problem, if it is, nor will the media. Unsustainable position, societally. 

Lastly, I now quit this discourse. Here's why: I brought up four points, to which you've responded with unrelated questions, anecdotes, and reactions: 

1) "Which would you choose?"  You responded with: I don't have to choose, I won't consider dumbing down the laws to accommodate the bottom x%.

2) I've posited that there are folks that misbehave with guns, I don't know the %. You've posited it's the vast minority, "hardly worth mentioning". Yet it's mentioned all the time. It's dismissive, like you won't entertain even understanding the point of view. Why's it mentioned?

3) I've asked what the 'vast minority" is, and there's been no factual response, and 

4) I've asked directly whether you're willing to live with the bottom x%, irresponsible gun owners, legal and illegal, and their consequences in order to support your right to carry and own as a law abiding citizen, no answer. 

Just emotional, reactionary replies. I understand your mind is made up in this matter, I'm just trying to understand. Guess I'll look elsewhere. Which is why I'm out. 

I'll play:  (1) regarding the vast minority issue, you want numbers to support the notion that gun crimes are committed by a small vast minority of people.  In two separate 2010 studies/polls it was estimated that 45% of Americans legally own at least one firearm.  That equates to approximately 53 million people legally owning at least own firearm. (according to an NRA study the vast majority of these, 87% are handguns)

(2) Using the pro-gun control lobby numbers of "victims of violent gun crimes" total of 30,000 a year, we now know that these numbers also include the roughly 18,000 suicides per year in this number.  So removing the suicides that leaves approximately 12,000 victims of gun violence.

(3) Even assuming that each one of the victims of gun violence is committed by one individual and assuming even further that these are legal gun owners that committed these acts (Both assumptions that aren't even close to being accurate) but even assuming that your talking 12,000 out of 53 million.....so yeah I'd say that's a vast minority. (Additionally, again over the last 10 years there has been a natural, consistent, and constant downward trend in gun violence.)

(4) Now on to the assault weapon ban:  of the roughly 12,000 firearm homicides only about 1% were committed with a long gun/rifle, and of that, only approximately 1% of that 1% were committed with what would be termed an "assault weapon"

Now onto the core issue you've posed, that seems to be "are you willing to live with the bottom "x"%'s abuses in order to support your right to carry a weapon.  I answer this unequivocally, and emphatically in the affirmative.

Again, we do this with every other Constitutional Right.  We support and protect our right of free speech, even in the face of those that use it to promote abhorrent and reprehensible ideas and ideology.  We support and protect our right against unreasonable searches and seizures even when such a search yields illegal contraband.  We support and protect our right of due process even in cases where the evidence against an individual is overwhelming and the crime for which they are charged is heinous.  We support and protect an individuals right to freely exercise their religious beliefs to the extent in allowing them to die rather than being forced to accept life saving medical procedures that would save their life.  We support and protect an individuals presumption of innocence and right to reasonable bail/bond regardless of the heinousness of the alleged crime.

The founders and framers knew of the natural and inevitable over reaching of governments, not because the form of government was wrong, but rather based upon their understanding of the basic nature of man.  In an attempt to combat the over reaching of the men who govern they demanded the Bill of Rights.  These specific rights were enumerated in order to protect the people from their government.

It is the natural order of things that governments will attempt to extend their power beyond that which is permitted based upon the founding principles of that form of government.  History shows no exceptions to this, it is so true as to be axiomatic.

What is truly horrifying to me, is the speed with which the PEOPLE themselves are willing to give up their natural/God given/inalienable Rights based upon the governments assertion that giving up these rights will lead to safety. 

2013-03-19 10:56 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-19 9:23 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 6:58 AM It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

Is it always intentional? IOW, are you saying that you believe that everything one sees on tv that is factually inaccurate is done so on purpose to advance some agenda? Or do you believe this deliberate attempt by the media to mislead is specific only to guns? So, for example, when you watch House, and he makes a diagnosis that is medically innacurate, or prescribes a medicine that would have no actual effect on the disease in question, is that the media's purposeful attempt to mislead the public about the medical profession? And if so, to what end?

I don't think it's always intentional.

For example on "The Bible", I don't believe the producers were trying to find an actor that looked like Obama to play the Devil.  They've responded quickly to those assertions and have explained why they picked the actor that they picked.  I think it was a mistake. 

But in the specific instance that TriRSquared mentioned, the writers are clearly trying to include language being used in drafts of legislation right now.

Since I work in the Energy Business, I see a lot of BS from people about Fracking, about EMF, about evil corporations.  It's kinda easy to pick out the intentional stuff from the obvious willing error to make the story better for the uneducated consumer.

2013-03-19 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
^^ Well said Brock
2013-03-19 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4666012

User image

Pro

Aarondb4 - 2013-03-19 11:02 AM ^^ Well said Brock

Agreed....and it mostly falls on deaf ears among the gun-control folks. 

The gun "debate" is such a common sense issue to me that it boggles my mind that there even has to be discussions about it.  Controlling the guns that law-abiding people own will do NOTHING to change how criminals use guns.  It never has.

2013-03-19 12:55 PM

User image

Assault weapons ban won’t be included in Senate gun bill
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/19/ass...

Even the Democrats are backing away from that.
2013-03-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4666258

User image

DanielG - 2013-03-19 12:55 PMAssault weapons ban won’t be included in Senate gun billhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/19/assault-weapons-ban-likely-to-die-in-full-senate/Even the Democrats are backing away from that.
So now it just expands background checks. Again, it still won't pass the house. But it's proceeding.
2013-03-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4665247

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
TriRSquared - 2013-03-18 7:16 PM

DanielG - 2013-03-18 7:58 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble.. Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!" You've obviously never met a TV writer in person.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

Right, because most Hollywood writers are pro-gun GOP members...

Fine, they are incompetent.  So much so that everyone involved in the show didn't catch the glaring error?

- The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations - William of Occam (though I suppose that could be argued in both ways)

---

I'll let that one go.  Can we move to a second, more clear cut, example?  On NBC news tonight they described the UCF (near) shooter as having an "assault weapon".  The sheriff's statement said it was a .22 rifle.

Yep, no one would ever misuse gun terminology to sway opinion.

Interesting.  FoxNews also reported on the same story.  Initially, they wrote that investigators "found an assault weapon and improvised explosive devices".  And in their updated story, they reported investigators found "an assault weapon, a handgun, and makeshift explosive devices". I always knew FoxNews was secretly trying to sway public opinion towards Obama's gun control platform.  

Or maybe, just maybe, both news outlets were quoting the same police spokesman.  When you're in a race to scoop your competitors, fact checking tends to slow you down.  For what it's worth, both NBC and Fox are now calling it a ".22 caliber tactical rifle".  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/18/dorm-evacuated-classes-cancelled-after-police-find-man-dead-explosive-devices/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/18/guns-and-explosives-found-in-dorm-room-after-student-commits-suicide-at-fla/

2013-03-19 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4665645

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
DanielG - 2013-03-19 8:26 AM

I think that the news media misuses all sorts of terms related to all sorts of issues for one main reason... to get eyeballs on their story... I think they're trying to get ratings. Same with misusing gun terminology.

No. It's not.
TL;DR

I'll even grant you that different news organizations, for example FOX News, tailor word choice in their stories to their audience. But at the end of the day, it's much more about ratings than it is some random copy editor trying to influence politics.

You have GOT to be kidding. The NBC newsies came out and said they spliced the video of the sheriff shooting a full auto weapon onto the impact of a handgun just because it was more dramatic. The Sheriff said he was shooting into the ground when he was using the single shot and was shooting the cinderblocks when he was shooting the "assault weapon" These admissions were only after the raw footage came to light, though. Yeah, too long, didn't read. You might want to take a lesson from some of these anchors who slant the news and actually research your topic by reading some of the things written about them.

"because it was more dramatic" =  "because more people would watch"

"because it was more dramatic" = "because it might cause more people to agree with NBC's political position"

I'll go with option 1. Again, Occam's Razor.

I look forward to your future treatises.

2013-03-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4666426

User image

tealeaf - 2013-03-19 2:21 PM
DanielG - 2013-03-19 8:26 AM

No. It's not.
TL;DR

You have GOT to be kidding. The NBC newsies came out and said they spliced the video of the sheriff shooting a full auto weapon onto the impact of a handgun just because it was more dramatic. The Sheriff said he was shooting into the ground when he was using the single shot and was shooting the cinderblocks when he was shooting the "assault weapon" These admissions were only after the raw footage came to light, though. Yeah, too long, didn't read. You might want to take a lesson from some of these anchors who slant the news and actually research your topic by reading some of the things written about them.

"because it was more dramatic" =  "because more people would watch"

"because it was more dramatic" = "because it might cause more people to agree with NBC's political position"

I'll go with option 1. Again, Occam's Razor.

I look forward to your future treatises.

That's not exactly an Occam's Razor. In fact, we could say #2 is the easier course considering the clear political leanings and track record of NBC.
2013-03-19 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal
I hate the word tactical now, it's way over used for advertising purposes.  
2013-03-19 3:04 PM

User image

Yeah. It's the new Extreme. Next word is kinetic.
2013-03-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4666395

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
kevin_trapp - 2013-03-19 3:06 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble.. Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!" You've obviously never met a TV writer in person.

Fine, they are incompetent.  So much so that everyone involved in the show didn't catch the glaring error?

- The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations - William of Occam (though I suppose that could be argued in both ways)

---

I'll let that one go.  Can we move to a second, more clear cut, example?  On NBC news tonight they described the UCF (near) shooter as having an "assault weapon".  The sheriff's statement said it was a .22 rifle.

Interesting.  FoxNews also reported on the same story.  Initially, they wrote that investigators "found an assault weapon and improvised explosive devices".  And in their updated story, they reported investigators found "an assault weapon, a handgun, and makeshift explosive devices". I always knew FoxNews was secretly trying to sway public opinion towards Obama's gun control platform.  

Or maybe, just maybe, both news outlets were quoting the same police spokesman.  When you're in a race to scoop your competitors, fact checking tends to slow you down.  For what it's worth, both NBC and Fox are now calling it a ".22 caliber tactical rifle".  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/18/dorm-evacuated-classes-cancelled-after-police-find-man-dead-explosive-devices/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/18/guns-and-explosives-found-in-dorm-room-after-student-commits-suicide-at-fla/

I'd agree with this if it were not for the video that played right after Jennings called it an AW.  The video was of the sheriff showing a .22 rifle.

As for Fox News calling it a AW?  Who knows.  That's an odd one.

2013-03-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4666520

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriRSquared - 2013-03-19 3:06 PM

---

I'd agree with this if it were not for the video that played right after Jennings called it an AW.  The video was of the sheriff showing a .22 rifle.

Could it be that Fox is just a news outlet like any other, concerned above all with ratings and advertising dollars and not with the Almighty Truth? Naw, couldn't be. That's crazy talk.
2013-03-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4666520

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
TriRSquared - 2013-03-19 3:06 PM

---

I still think you're giving the media too much credit. Look at it this way, who is NBC trying to sway. All their gun-loving, conservative viewers?  Come to think of it, what were you doing watching NBC?

Here's another example (link below) from an article published on Foxnews just last week.  In it, it says "Obama made an assault weapons ban part of the gun curbs he proposed in January, a month after a shooter with an assault rifle killed 20 first-graders and six educators at a school in Newtown, Conn."

It's one thing to toss around the term "assault weapon".  It's a generic term thought up by politicians.  It has no definition, therefore it can pretty much mean anything.  Adam Lanza used an assault weapon.  Not because it was a big, scary, black gun, but because it was a weapon that he assaulted people with. Could have been a pistol, a knife, or a lead pipe.  Still would have been an assault weapon.  "Assault rifle" on the other hand, has a very clear definition.  Adam Lanza most definitely did not use an assault rifle. 

How could Fox so blatantly misuse a word months after the shootings?  In my opinion, you don't need to look any farther than incompetence or ignorance, same as all the other media outlets. It's how, time and time again, every network continues to be bamboozled by a man named Captain Janks.  

Or maybe it's possible you're right. NBC could be involved in an elaborate conspiracy to subtly sway public opinion, and Fox is just incompetent.   

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/14/senate-committee-ready-to-ok-assault-weapons-ban/#ixzz2O1Eu2NTg

2013-03-19 5:04 PM

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-19 7:23 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 6:58 AM It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

Do you think it is never intentional or agenda driven with firearms?

2013-03-19 6:23 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

007 has access to the most advanced technology...
and he choses a Walther PPK chambered in .380...

?

(Walther-PPK.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Walther-PPK.jpg (39KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48