Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by popsracer
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never thought of M pace that way. Very interesting! Often people tend to say that you are "getting the feel" for running at M but I've never liked that answer. Thank you for this.

Agreed.  This was really helpful.

I'm back at JD, gang.  Had to take a break because of a crazy work deadline.  I have my life back now.

Where's Steve?  He's MIA...

Out of town for a few days.  I'm doing my long run today at M pace but because my M pace is so slow it actually is an exercise in discipline to take it down a notch.  I have a marathon next weekend and this is kind of a 13-15 mile simulation.

Is your ankle/AT any better?  I went through AT for three years before getting past it.  I just could not take it easy and I kept aggravating it.

Good, when I don't see my friends post for a few days I start to worry.

I'm going to try a run this weekend.  I can still "feel it" but it doesn't feel too bad.  I'm going to take it really, really easy.  I fricking can not have a three year battle with this.  I won't make it.  I need to be able to run or my family will have me committed.

I'll tell you what makes it hurt.  Sitting at a desk for fourteen hours a day for three days straight.  Makes it throb...

2013-09-29 7:32 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
  • I'm going to try a run this weekend.  I can still "feel it" but it doesn't feel too bad.  I'm going to take it really, really easy.  I fricking can not have a three year battle with this.  I won't make it.  I need to be able to run or my family will have me committed.

I'll tell you what makes it hurt.  Sitting at a desk for fourteen hours a day for three days straight.  Makes it throb...

• good luck with the run! I know the feeling of 'going stir crazy' when not being able to run and my family well knows the crankiness that comes over me when I'm not able to exercise. It's clear that I'm over the line if my wife says, 'why don't you go for a run or something...'.

2013-09-30 3:02 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never thought of M pace that way. Very interesting! Often people tend to say that you are "getting the feel" for running at M but I've never liked that answer. Thank you for this.

Agreed.  This was really helpful.

I'm back at JD, gang.  Had to take a break because of a crazy work deadline.  I have my life back now.

Where's Steve?  He's MIA...

Out of town for a few days.  I'm doing my long run today at M pace but because my M pace is so slow it actually is an exercise in discipline to take it down a notch.  I have a marathon next weekend and this is kind of a 13-15 mile simulation.

Is your ankle/AT any better?  I went through AT for three years before getting past it.  I just could not take it easy and I kept aggravating it.

Good, when I don't see my friends post for a few days I start to worry.

I'm going to try a run this weekend.  I can still "feel it" but it doesn't feel too bad.  I'm going to take it really, really easy.  I fricking can not have a three year battle with this.  I won't make it.  I need to be able to run or my family will have me committed.

Hmmm, my teammate had acute achilles tendonitis and it maybe sounds like you had chronic achilles tendonitis, right Steve? From what I understand (which may not be correct) is that these are two different injuries.

Also from what I understand is that acute can become chronic if it's not given proper rest/treatment. So, please be careful. No sense turning this thing into a multi-year issue.

Did you start running yet, Elesa? How did it feel? If so, did you run on alternate surfaces or anything?

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-30 3:02 PM
    2013-09-30 4:51 PM
    in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
    LHOTP

Yes!  I did a 5 miler yesterday and it felt great! I ran on a hilly, paved MUP.  I thought I might try running in the grass next to the path, put it was pretty uneven in there, and I thought the unpredictability might be a bad idea.

Really, it was so weird, it's the best my leg/ankle thing has felt in days.  It almost feels like it's some sort of weird perfusion issue.  I have really low BP (high 80s over low fifties/high forties) and when I sit for a long time, as I had to do for a grant deadline last week, my lower legs can swell quite a bit.  Bad combo with whatever thing I have going on with my leg, as it just made it throb.  Anyway, the run felt AWESOME. 

I had to seriously hold back, as I just felt so fresh from all the rest that is felt really good.  it didn't hurt more after the run than before, and this morning it was there but not tlaking to me.  Don't know if that makes sense...

I'm going to do another short run this evening, and I promise I'll keep it easy :)

2013-09-30 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by switch Bad combo with whatever thing I have going on with my leg, as it just made it throb.  Anyway, the run felt AWESOME. 

I had to seriously hold back, as I just felt so fresh from all the rest that is felt really good.  it didn't hurt more after the run than before, and this morning it was there but not tlaking to me.  Don't know if that makes sense...

I'm going to do another short run this evening, and I promise I'll keep it easy

try some compression/recovery stockings...they work, for various reasons, and will help with swelling-a lot.

I always wear mine after hard/long runs.
    2013-10-01 7:35 AM
    in reply to: dtoce

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce
    Originally posted by brigby1 Still trying to get a better idea on what Daniels is saying the benefits are for M-pace training (80-90% maxHR), particularly for outside of marathon training. Chapter 5 I think? For now, sounds like I should just equate it to Z3 training for the bike and see what he says in later parts, maybe coming back to this then. I didn't get much more than it's probably good for to do every once in awhile.
    Ben, My view is that the MP run, which should be longer and somewhat slower than a T run, lets the runner practice holding race pace for longer races-like 20K and the marathon. This 'subtempo' run is a higher quality session than an easy run and therefore will have added benefit as a slightly higher quality session and require less recovery. Tempo runs shouldn't be more than 15-20 minutes, but MP runs can be 1-2 hours, so although they are slightly slower, they are significantly longer. I'd equate these to long bike rides simulating race pace for IM or even 1/2IM bikes. This must help economy at the higher pace by repetition-the law of specificity. It probably helps neuromuscular training a bit also. I do not use Coggan Power Zones, but it seems to me that it would be an upper Z3 effort. Z3 is 84-94% of LT (based on FTP) not v02max or maxHR, right? So, it is definitely sub tempo effort, after all, LT is usually about 90% of your max HR. Wouldn't you think this is close to 'sweet spot' training?

Ok, sounds like what I was thinking. It's not like LT or VO2 running where there is a spot to work. More like Z2, but at a higher level. More stress for the time run, but also more risk, so use wisely. And as much as he likes it, still put the other areas as more priority for the most part.

I see where the sweet spot comparison sort of makes sense, but not sure I'd put it quite up there for most people as it's right on the Z3/Z4 border, and one would have to be quite fast to run a marathon there. But that's getting a bit technical about things. Smile

Liked reading about the R-pace running. Seems I've kind of been doing that at times in the past. Will be interesting to see how it goes with a much better understanding of it. With how much I push on the bike, haven't been able to do T-pace or I-pace as much as I'd like. Be interesting to see how much better this can help take that fitness and work it into running.

2013-10-01 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP
    Originally posted by switch Bad combo with whatever thing I have going on with my leg, as it just made it throb.  Anyway, the run felt AWESOME. 

I'm going to do another short run this evening, and I promise I'll keep it easy :)

try some compression/recovery stockings...they work, for various reasons, and will help with swelling-a lot. I always wear mine after hard/long runs.

Compression socks are my friends :)  I wear them when I drive, long days at work.  And, yes, they are sexxeh!

Run last night was awesome, folks.  I'm probably not going to run today, as I'm traveling for work.  But I'm very pleased with the last two days of running. 

I had been planning on, and had started, a run focus this fall, thinking I'd then shift to a swim focus mid November, and then a bike focus around mid January.  I've switched that around now due to the leg/ankle thing, and am picking up my swim focus now.  Feels good to get back in the water, and, holy crap, I've lost a lot!

Back, to JD, do any of you use the Barry P plan?  If so, how do you dovetail JD and Barry P? 

2013-10-01 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

try some compression/recovery stockings...they work, for various reasons, and will help with swelling-a lot. I always wear mine after hard/long runs.

Compression socks are my friends   I wear them when I drive, long days at work.  And, yes, they are sexxeh!

Run last night was awesome, folks.  I'm probably not going to run today, as I'm traveling for work.  But I'm very pleased with the last two days of running. 

I had been planning on, and had started, a run focus this fall, thinking I'd then shift to a swim focus mid November, and then a bike focus around mid January.  I've switched that around now due to the leg/ankle thing, and am picking up my swim focus now.  Feels good to get back in the water, and, holy crap, I've lost a lot!

Back, to JD, do any of you use the Barry P plan?  If so, how do you dovetail JD and Barry P? 

I like Barry P's plan and recommend it to anyone who's new to running.  Mainly because a lot of people (looking at you Salty ) like simple plans that don't require "extrapolating".

So with Barry P we have 6 runs:

3 Short (1/3 of long distance)

2 Medium (2/3 of long distance)

1 Long

Where you build the mileage by 10% 

I usually recommend making one of the short runs kind of a quality day (track workout, hill repeats) and one of the medium runs a tempo run (warmup then running at T pace).  Doing that with the other runs at E builds a solid skeleton for a runner to work up to a more complicated strategy.

Edit:  

Training for an earlier summer race, I used the Barry P plan sort of with JD's speedwork mixed in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvYJPqk_DAdxdFZmVlRnYUtoVVRTc2RKUnVhWmJ2aFE&usp=sharing

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-01 10:37 AM
    2013-10-01 11:09 AM
    in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
    Originally posted by msteiner

Compression socks are my friends   I wear them when I drive, long days at work.  And, yes, they are sexxeh!

I like Barry P's plan and recommend it to anyone who's new to running.  Mainly because a lot of people (looking at you Salty ) like simple plans that don't require "extrapolating".

So with Barry P we have 6 runs:

3 Short (1/3 of long distance)

2 Medium (2/3 of long distance)

1 Long

Where you build the mileage by 10% 

I usually recommend making one of the short runs kind of a quality day (track workout, hill repeats) and one of the medium runs a tempo run (warmup then running at T pace).  Doing that with the other runs at E builds a solid skeleton for a runner to work up to a more complicated strategy.

Edit:  

Training for an earlier summer race, I used the Barry P plan sort of with JD's speedwork mixed in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvYJPqk_DAdxdFZmVlRnYUtoVVRTc2RKUnVhWmJ2aFE&usp=sharing

Heh heh effin' extrapolating...

Yeah. I think Barry P gives a newbie a really simple guide for being consistent AND keeping that long run in check, relative to the rest of the weekly milage.

Other than that, from what I understand, it doesn't give you any guidance in regard to specific workouts, periodization etc. 

2013-10-02 8:06 AM

Master
    Northern IL
    Read through the training plans last night. Would love to try the gold, but don't think I'll have enough time to do it with the swim and bike goals.
    2013-10-02 8:07 AM

Master
    Northern IL

I'm gonna do a little reading to prepare for next season, and I was thinking there might be a few of you who'd like to join me.  I'm imagining a book a month for three months.  You can do all three or pick and choose.  I'm hoping there might even be a few of you who will stop by for discussions who have already read these books and applied their principles.  Maybe we'll even get a coach or two to stop by and offer some insight once and a while :)

The schedule:

September 15-October 15: Daniel's Running Formula

October 15-November 15: The Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power

November 15-December 15:Swim Speed Secrets

Who's in?

Are you still keeping the same order for these in lieu of your training priorities swapping around?

2013-10-02 8:28 AM
    in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
    LHOTP
    I thought I would keep it the same because that's what I laid out for everyone else. I don't want to screw anyone up because I got screwed up, though maybe it wouldn't matter to anyone
    2013-10-02 11:57 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1 Read through the training plans last night. Would love to try the gold, but don't think I'll have enough time to do it with the swim and bike goals.

Ooooh, you fancy, HUH? I dunno if I am ready for something like Gold or not.

In fact, I am starting to think about exactly how I am going to train for my next marathon. Hmmmm....

2013-10-02 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1 Read through the training plans last night. Would love to try the gold, but don't think I'll have enough time to do it with the swim and bike goals.

I just skimmed over the color plans on my way to some of the more distance specific plans.  I think I'm going to just create my own based on some of the earlier phase discussion in the book.  Since I'm just starting to introduce "real" quality work into my schedule I want to be very cautious in order to avoid injury.

Each of the two weeks I've done a repeat workout (Q1) and a quasi-LT run (Q2) along with several easy runs and a long run.  I'm tapering this week for a marathon which kinds of messes with things.  I'll throw in a Q2 of "I" type if I feel really good but only occasionally.

I still am swimming and biking a few days a week so definately plays a role in scheduling but I'm finding that the swim/bike at this point is more maintenance and very manageable.  As swim/bike ramp up in January one of the easy runs will probably be dropped to make up 3 swims/3 rides/4 runs.

On another note, I read something kind of interesting in the race prep/execution section.  JD says that if you are struggling in a race instead of slowing down, speed up.  Sometimes, by utilizing a different muscle set/stride you can get back on track.  For me, I think when I slow down in the latter stages of a race, and I'm talking mostly marathon and HM, I get in a downward spiral where I start losing all economy in my stride and I feel worse and worse.  I'm just trying to figure out why my marathon races have been so far off the calculators.  I've been forced to run at a pace much slower than my long runs to deal with the last 6 miles of the marathon and am thinking that is counterproductive.  I hope this is making some kind of sense.  

2013-10-02 12:39 PM

User image

Seattle

I just skimmed over the color plans on my way to some of the more distance specific plans.  I think I'm going to just create my own based on some of the earlier phase discussion in the book.  Since I'm just starting to introduce "real" quality work into my schedule I want to be very cautious in order to avoid injury.

Each of the two weeks I've done a repeat workout (Q1) and a quasi-LT run (Q2) along with several easy runs and a long run.  I'm tapering this week for a marathon which kinds of messes with things.  I'll throw in a Q2 of "I" type if I feel really good but only occasionally.

I still am swimming and biking a few days a week so definately plays a role in scheduling but I'm finding that the swim/bike at this point is more maintenance and very manageable.  As swim/bike ramp up in January one of the easy runs will probably be dropped to make up 3 swims/3 rides/4 runs.

On another note, I read something kind of interesting in the race prep/execution section.  JD says that if you are struggling in a race instead of slowing down, speed up.  Sometimes, by utilizing a different muscle set/stride you can get back on track.  For me, I think when I slow down in the latter stages of a race, and I'm talking mostly marathon and HM, I get in a downward spiral where I start losing all economy in my stride and I feel worse and worse.  I'm just trying to figure out why my marathon races have been so far off the calculators.  I've been forced to run at a pace much slower than my long runs to deal with the last 6 miles of the marathon and am thinking that is counterproductive.  I hope this is making some kind of sense.  

I was thinking about that "speed up" philosophy when you were talking about marathon pacing.

Do you feel as though you were fully prepared for your marathons in the past? What kind of mileage were you running per week? How long were your long runs and did you do any of them with some M pace thrown in? 

2013-10-02 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ridgeland, Mississippi

I will say that the 5-15k plan worked wonders for me.  I ran my 10K and half marathon PR's after spending a winter doing it.

2013-10-02 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by Asalzwed

I was thinking about that "speed up" philosophy when you were talking about marathon pacing.

Do you feel as though you were fully prepared for your marathons in the past? What kind of mileage were you running per week? How long were your long runs and did you do any of them with some M pace thrown in? 

these are great questions-mileage and not being ready for the 'time on your feet' at the desired MP may be the answer-esp if inadequate number of LR's and lower total mileage.

if you are going to make a schedule for yourself, periodize it-get as much base as you can get-add in lots of medLR's and an occ LR (the LR will delay recovery and if you are in base mode, I believe you'll get more bang for the buck by doing more total mileage with more medLR's=less risk and quicker recovery)

block out 2 months to focus on something-base>base w R>tempo>race prep/intervals (that's my 8 month gross schedule for racing through to next summer for running) I will plan to get lots of 5-8 milers with some recovery and an occ 10 miler. I'll do reps once/twice per week if my legs are up to it and do tempo miles (2 or 3x1mile or 4-6 x 1/2 Mile at T) once week. This will continue through the winter with rare swimming and some baseline biking on the trainer with similiar stuff-some reps and tempo on the bike...then I'll add intervals for sharpening/race prep in the spring for both bike and running while I get my butt back into the pool more regularly.

put your goal races in there and understand that you'll need to be flexible
    2013-10-02 1:55 PM

User image

Seattle

these are great questions-mileage and not being ready for the 'time on your feet' at the desired MP may be the answer-esp if inadequate number of LR's and lower total mileage. if you are going to make a schedule for yourself, periodize it-get as much base as you can get-add in lots of medLR's and an occ LR (the LR will delay recovery and if you are in base mode, I believe you'll get more bang for the buck by doing more total mileage with more medLR's=less risk and quicker recovery) block out 2 months to focus on something-base>base w R>tempo>race prep/intervals (that's my 8 month gross schedule for racing through to next summer for running) I will plan to get lots of 5-8 milers with some recovery and an occ 10 miler. I'll do reps once/twice per week if my legs are up to it and do tempo miles (2 or 3x1mile or 4-6 x 1/2 Mile at T) once week. This will continue through the winter with rare swimming and some baseline biking on the trainer with similiar stuff-some reps and tempo on the bike...then I'll add intervals for sharpening/race prep in the spring for both bike and running while I get my butt back into the pool more regularly. put your goal races in there and understand that you'll need to be flexible

Fantastic advice. I found that those medium long runs during the week were amazing in helping support my long run during my marathon training. I will most definitely be doing that again.

2013-10-02 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Not fully prepared.  I've was going 25-30 miles a week with fairly regular long runs of 13-15 miles.  But also swimming/biking so total weeks were about 10 hours.  The thing is, and this is what got me thinking, that I do my long runs about 30 seconds faster than M-pace.  When I slow them down to M-pace is when I start to struggle much more in the latter stages of the run.

I've run almost 1,000 miles this year, almost 2,000 riding, and 160k swimming.  I've run four HM's this year and I'm about 1:50 HM.  I've also done 2 marathons and a 50 miler this year.  Last month was 135 miles running.  Even slowing it down to 10:00/mile or 4:20, I collapse.  If I run 13 at 9:00/mile I feel way better than at 10:00.   I don't get tired, or feel I have no strength, I just get to a point where everything just hurts.  If I walk for a bit, things loosen up and I'm good to go again.   I feel I have the endurance, cardio, strength, speed.  For the most part I feel great after my long runs.  It's that 20-22 mile mark that is the monkey on my back.

So bottomline, I think my miles are still on the light side but I feel I should be able to run a marathon without so much struggle in the last 4-6 miles given the amount of consistent workload I've done over the last two years.  I'm searching for a strategy for Saturday's race.  The first 9 miles is all gradual downhill then flat.  Do I run the faster pace where I feel more comfortable and hope I can last?  Run the faster pace and throw in some walk breaks?  Just keep it slow from the start and throw in walk breaks?  I think I'm trying to rationalize stepping my pace up a notch with the theory that I'll increase my economy enough to get me through.

Edited by popsracer 2013-10-02 2:32 PM
    2013-10-02 2:38 PM

User image

Seattle

BTW I would be curious to hear people's response to Jason's question in this thread http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=501941&posts=19&page=1

"

This is why I asked at what point is two runs equal to one 20.  If 15 and 5 is still less than 20...what happens physiologically in the last 5 miles of a 20 miler that gets you additional fitness gains?  If during a 20 miler your HR increases from 130 the first hour, to 140 the second hour, to 150 the third hour, you can still simulate the time spent in those HR ranges with equal amounts of time in each zone with a 15 and 5 mile run (or 2x10, 12 and 8, etc.) by tweaking the intensity.

There are definitely more than one way to reach a goal.  In no way am I saying that you shouldn't run long.  There are benefits of learning mentally what type of paces you can hold, how you deal with nutrition, and how you adjust to temperatures possibly getting warmer the longer you run.  But I think a lot of people get caught up in "the long run is more important than any other run" train of thought. 

I say this in very general terms.  Someone can dig up some study if they want to that proves the long run provides 3% more benefit than running an equal distance over 2 days if they want to.  I'm trying to dispel the notion that some people tend to believe the long run provides something like 30% more benefit than running equal distance over more days (Bruce, not saying this is what you think, but there are others who seem to think so).  Hence why you see hundreds of threads asking about how they should structure their 16, 18, and 20 mile long runs because they don't want to give them up...but they only run 15-20 miles during the mid week.  Not implying that's the OP (I know the OP puts in her miles), but it's true that 90% of the "what should I do about my running" threads always emphasize the long run...and all the other miles tend to get overlooked as if they don't matter.

Just my 2 cents."

2013-10-02 2:41 PM

User image

Seattle

Not fully prepared.  I've was going 25-30 miles a week with fairly regular long runs of 13-15 miles.  But also swimming/biking so total weeks were about 10 hours.  The thing is, and this is what got me thinking, that I do my long runs about 30 seconds faster than M-pace.  When I slow them down to M-pace is when I start to struggle much more in the latter stages of the run.

I've run almost 1,000 miles this year, almost 2,000 riding, and 160k swimming.  I've run four HM's this year and I'm about 1:50 HM.  I've also done 2 marathons and a 50 miler this year.  Last month was 135 miles running.  Even slowing it down to 10:00/mile or 4:20, I collapse.  If I run 13 at 9:00/mile I feel way better than at 10:00.   I don't get tired, or feel I have no strength, I just get to a point where everything just hurts.  If I walk for a bit, things loosen up and I'm good to go again.   I feel I have the endurance, cardio, strength, speed.  For the most part I feel great after my long runs.  It's that 20-22 mile mark that is the monkey on my back.

So bottomline, I think my miles are still on the light side but I feel I should be able to run a marathon without so much struggle in the last 4-6 miles given the amount of consistent workload I've done over the last two years.  I'm searching for a strategy for Saturday's race.  The first 9 miles is all gradual downhill then flat.  Do I run the faster pace where I feel more comfortable and hope I can last?  Run the faster pace and throw in some walk breaks?  Just keep it slow from the start and throw in walk breaks?  I think I'm trying to rationalize stepping my pace up a notch with the theory that I'll increase my economy enough to get me through.

In marathon training, that is quite low mileage AND those long runs are quite short. I definitely believe the weekly milage should support the long run, and even in your case your weekly long was nearly 50% of your mileage.  They should both be higher in order for you to be more successful.  Just for starters ...

Look where you are in terms of potential

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-02 2:53 PM

2013-10-02 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by popsracerSo bottomline, I think my miles are still on the light side but I feel I should be able to run a marathon without so much struggle in the last 4-6 miles given the amount of consistent workload I've done over the last two years.  I'm searching for a strategy for Saturday's race.  The first 9 miles is all gradual downhill then flat.  Do I run the faster pace where I feel more comfortable and hope I can last?  Run the faster pace and throw in some walk breaks?  Just keep it slow from the start and throw in walk breaks?  I think I'm trying to rationalize stepping my pace up a notch with the theory that I'll increase my economy enough to get me through.

although you may be more economical at a faster pace, it is likely that you will later crash and not be able to keep it up anyway-especially if you've not had a big enough base/LR's to support that pace

that said, i've known some peeps who are very comfortable doing a 'galloway' plan and will insert walking breaks during their marathon and this can be an effective way to race

try it in practice-see if you can do 1mile 'repeats' at MP with resting/walking breaks of a certain amount of time; this will have to be done by trial and error and
    of course, it's way late for your upcoming race
    Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I always do a modification of this anyway, as I walk every aid station

2013-10-02 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT

BTW I would be curious to hear people's response to Jason's question in this thread http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=501941&posts=19&page=1

"

This is why I asked at what point is two runs equal to one 20.  If 15 and 5 is still less than 20...what happens physiologically in the last 5 miles of a 20 miler that gets you additional fitness gains?  If during a 20 miler your HR increases from 130 the first hour, to 140 the second hour, to 150 the third hour, you can still simulate the time spent in those HR ranges with equal amounts of time in each zone with a 15 and 5 mile run (or 2x10, 12 and 8, etc.) by tweaking the intensity.

There are definitely more than one way to reach a goal.  In no way am I saying that you shouldn't run long.  There are benefits of learning mentally what type of paces you can hold, how you deal with nutrition, and how you adjust to temperatures possibly getting warmer the longer you run.  But I think a lot of people get caught up in "the long run is more important than any other run" train of thought. 

I say this in very general terms.  Someone can dig up some study if they want to that proves the long run provides 3% more benefit than running an equal distance over 2 days if they want to.  I'm trying to dispel the notion that some people tend to believe the long run provides something like 30% more benefit than running equal distance over more days (Bruce, not saying this is what you think, but there are others who seem to think so).  Hence why you see hundreds of threads asking about how they should structure their 16, 18, and 20 mile long runs because they don't want to give them up...but they only run 15-20 miles during the mid week.  Not implying that's the OP (I know the OP puts in her miles), but it's true that 90% of the "what should I do about my running" threads always emphasize the long run...and all the other miles tend to get overlooked as if they don't matter.

Just my 2 cents."

Asalzwed-where does that name come from? And what do I call you, online? (I'm still learning so many names on BT)

I could make several comments but do not want to alienate anyone...I'm never happy getting into an argument with Suzanne or Jason...it's hard to educate someone who knows it all, and both of them have strong opiniions.

IMO, a 20 miler is much different than 2 x 10 milers. Different stressors and much different in so many ways.
    It it better? No. Not for marathon training. Will it suffice, Obviously. Especially if there are time or recovery limitations.

They are different stressors and have different advantages and disadvantages.

Each piece of the marathon puzzle supports a different aspect of the race. There are many ways to train and people do respond to different training stimuli differently. I would never say what is 'better' than another aspect of training. We should continue to work on weaknesses, if we want to improve...

Volume is MUCH more important than the LR. Both are important, however.

(Not sure if that was much help)
    Dale
    2013-10-02 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks Dale, this is very helpful.  Walking the aid stations would be a great place to implement the breaks.  I've experimented with hydration and realize I am a very poor drinker (until after the raceSmile).  By walking the aid stations it will give me greater opportuity to take on more fluids.
    2013-10-02 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT

Thanks Dale, this is very helpful.  Walking the aid stations would be a great place to implement the breaks.  I've experimented with hydration and realize I am a very poor drinker (until after the raceSmile).  By walking the aid stations it will give me greater opportuity to take on more fluids.

you're welcome-

remember, the marathon is a war of attrition and you want to stay as comfortable as you can for as long as you can, so that you don't blow up late-ie mile 22+

as has been pointed out, your total volume of mileage and LR's are somewhat light...and you need to run conservatively breathing easy and making sure you can keep it up until mile 20...that's when the 'race' starts

run...run...and walk-figure out a plan-do not start out too fast, you will pay for it
    if you want to do well, have enough in the tank so when you write your report you feel 'good' at mile 20 and are ready to push it and then let the cards fall where they fall

your best race still awaits you with more and better training---but go nail this one, in terms of execution, at least
    GL
    New Thread
    Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
    Views: 1885 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
    Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
    Views: 1726 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
    Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
    Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 2, 2011
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 4
    A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 8
    Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
    date : March 10, 2010
    author : jgoss47
    comments : 3
    Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
    author : KenMierke
    comments : 5
    A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
    date : March 13, 2005
    author : mikericci
    comments : 2
    Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : Glenn
    comments : 0
    Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
    date : January 10, 2005
    author : infosteward
    'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
    author : trithis
    Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.