BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-11 10:37 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Did a VO2 session on the trainer on Friday = 8x3 @ 112% with 2 minutes rest at 60%.

Foolishly did a longer 14 km slow and easy run on Saturday.  My legs felt quite sore on Sunday so took a rest day.

1.5 hour endurance ride tonight at around 75%.

Question for the group - is HR data from a Sprint useful to determine LTHR?

I did 6 sprints in 2015 - 3 x 20 km and 3 x 30 km bike legs - and the average HR for the last 2/3 of each race was fairly consistent, ranging between 171 to 173 bpm.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my PM for any of these races but  I'd say they were all fairly hard efforts.  But not so hard that I blew up on the run. 

I don't train with HR on the bike, but I had calculated my LTHR to be around 162.  Would the HR from these races suggest that my LTHR was higher and closer to 170?

FWIW I had calculated my running LTHR at around 172 but haven't retested in awhile. I suspect it may be a few beats higher at around 174 or so.

2016-01-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

Did a VO2 session on the trainer on Friday = 8x3 @ 112% with 2 minutes rest at 60%.

Foolishly did a longer 14 km slow and easy run on Saturday.  My legs felt quite sore on Sunday so took a rest day.

1.5 hour endurance ride tonight at around 75%.

Question for the group - is HR data from a Sprint useful to determine LTHR?

I did 6 sprints in 2015 - 3 x 20 km and 3 x 30 km bike legs - and the average HR for the last 2/3 of each race was fairly consistent, ranging between 171 to 173 bpm.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my PM for any of these races but  I'd say they were all fairly hard efforts.  But not so hard that I blew up on the run. 

I don't train with HR on the bike, but I had calculated my LTHR to be around 162.  Would the HR from these races suggest that my LTHR was higher and closer to 170?

FWIW I had calculated my running LTHR at around 172 but haven't retested in awhile. I suspect it may be a few beats higher at around 174 or so.

Do you have your HR from your 20' CP test ? That's usually pretty close for me
2016-01-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by wannabefaster I'm a huge Kinvara fan as well. I loved the 4 and am very ambivalent about the 5. Looking forward to trying the 6. I'm not sure it has everything you are looking for but it really does offer a surprising amount of cushioning. The other shoe that I am using a lot recently is the Hoka Huaka. I have been quite disappointed in the last two versions of the Bondi but I love the Huaka. Got them on closeout for $49 per pair. Wish I would have bought three or four pairs but who knew i would like them so much. If you can find them in your size they would definitely be worth trying at that price. Like Stuart, I am currently hanging out in paradise on Grand Cayman island. They have spin bikes and and open ocean so training continues. Life is pretty good right now.

Ditto on the Huaka - I bought a pair at of all places, the Toronto bike show.  Love them so far, and it's all of run in the past few months, although my running has been rather non-existant since the beginning of November.  Very badly need to reform good habits or else the beginning of race season will be miserable.

2016-01-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by wannabefaster Excellent work Nicole. That is the kind of result we all are working for and you just went out and did it. Way to go.

X2

2016-01-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Thoughts on the use of a pull buoy?  My swimming really fell off, and I swim better with a PB so as I try to refind some volume I'm relying on the PB as it gets me through the sets better.  I'd be wearing myself out a bit more if I didn't use it at the moment, and figure it wil help as a bit of a crutch but also lets me focus more on my stroke when I do use.  Everyone always seems divided on the subject with some saying ditch it, and others like Brett Sutton say use it to your hearts content.

2016-01-11 12:53 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville

Do you have your HR from your 20' CP test ? That's usually pretty close for me

... you're forcing me to admit that I haven't done a CP20 test in ages (did I mention that I hate testing!)

I will check the last one, but it would have been well before the 2015 race season.

2016-01-11 12:59 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by GoFaster

Thoughts on the use of a pull buoy?  My swimming really fell off, and I swim better with a PB so as I try to refind some volume I'm relying on the PB as it gets me through the sets better.  I'd be wearing myself out a bit more if I didn't use it at the moment, and figure it wil help as a bit of a crutch but also lets me focus more on my stroke when I do use.  Everyone always seems divided on the subject with some saying ditch it, and others like Brett Sutton say use it to your hearts content.

I'm in the same boat and one of my goals for 2016 is to drop my addiction to the pull buoy.

Its easy to justify if every race I have ever done has been wetsuit legal, although I have heard rumours of a few past races in Ontario where wetsuits were forbidden.

2016-01-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

First off

Way to go Nicole!

Originally posted by TankBoy

And while I know I am getting zero sympathy from the Canadians, that will not stop me from whining just a little bit about having to run in 22F/-6C temps this morning.

Oh don't worry I am a little princess when it comes to being out in the cold, I am currently working in Vancouver and not home in Alberta so I am really spoiled it was 6 C on the weekend.

Only thing I did this week that is worth mentioning is I went for a longer bike ride (70kms) haven't bike or done much of anything for a few months so it was a easy pace just slowly working on base.

One problem I did come across was, it was rather dirty and grimy out, Even with this not being my TT bike, and a cheaper bike, I still love it and hate seeing it when its dirty. Problem is while I am here I am in a small little condo downtown.

This seemed to be the only way to clean my bike, looked so funny I had to take a picture of it.

(photo 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo 2.JPG (174KB - 2 downloads)
2016-01-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ha-Ha - that is a great photo! Cheap or expensive doesn't matter - you gotta take care of your bikes! My road bike is white, so I have to clean it constantly, at least a good wipe down after every ride. I will admit I have had mine in the shower a couple of time over the years.

And Brian - I just saw your picture of Folsom Lake - it is funny with the "No Lifeguard on Duty" sign in the foreground, but that is really crazy!

2016-01-11 1:42 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Neil - I am squarely in the "don't use it very much" camp (although I might have to once I can ever get back in the water!). I use it during masters when it prescribed, but that always seems like it is in combination with paddles. Here is what you can try: get to where you can swim 200 yards with an ankle band, Then when you swim freestyle it will fee just like you do now with a buoy!

2016-01-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Wow! Lotta love for Hokas in the group - must be a room full of triathletes! I kid, I kid.

I do think it is funny when we talk about a pair of "lightweight" trainers we are often talking about a shoe that is 9.5oz or more. Shoes are of course a very individual taste, and who doesn't hate when their favorite shoe gets a new-model makeover??

I am of the school that you run like you run and you can get in big trouble trying to fix it. I am a relatively high cadence mid/forefoot striker depending on the pace. I have a goofy left foot that strikes waaaaay on the outside of the ball of my foot, so I go through left shoes like there is no tomorrow. Because of this I have found what works for me is a very neutral shoe (as stability shoes cause me to roll my ankle), slightly ramped with some cush just where I need it up front, and no heel counter to speak of. So what has worked for me for the past several years is the Brooks Pure connect, which is plenty of shoe for me. I haven't ever worn the "pure cadence" which is the "stability" version in their "Pure" line of shoes. but it is built similarly no heel counter, and cush only up front. because of the narrow, rounded heel in these shoes I remember them being a little freaky at first, but you come to realize how much you come to rely on that big extruding heel cushion that most shoes have  for stability rather than your own balance and leg strength. Admittedly this does make them about the worst walking around shoes I have ever owned, but hey, they are running shoes, not Rockports.

For trail running I love, love, love Innov8 X-Talon 212s. Those jokers are incredibly light and offer so much grip over a wide range of terrain from wet, dry, hard and soft they just cannot be beat if you don't need a lot of support.

2016-01-11 2:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Neil-I am with you on the PB.  I find that once I start using it in a workout I have a hard time getting back to sets without it.  Lately, I have been using it a lot as I have been trying to work on bilateral breathing.  I do find that I rationalize using it at times..."well at least I am swimming"...."I suck whether I use the buoy or not." Little things like that.

I find that I keep at swimming now with the hopes that I don't get any worse.  There was a point in time when it was with the hope of getting faster.

2016-01-11 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I have been gone for a few days so let me see if I can catch up.

Neil as a fishie I use them almost never. If I were to actually count I would say les than five times in a year. Some day I think I should use one, do it for part of a workout, and then remember why I don't use them. I don't see any benefit...for me.

My go to drill for my upper body is tennis balls. Hold one in each hand and swim freestyle. It does a few things. First the buoyance of the ball requires you to drive down and through hard. Second, that same buoyancy speeds up your recovery on the back half of the stroke. Third, because you lose the use of your hands it forces you to get more pull from your entire forearm.

I only recommend this for people with a good mechanically sound stroke.

I hope that helps.
2016-01-11 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by TankBoy

Wow! Lotta love for Hokas in the group - must be a room full of triathletes! I kid, I kid.

I do think it is funny when we talk about a pair of "lightweight" trainers we are often talking about a shoe that is 9.5oz or more. Shoes are of course a very individual taste, and who doesn't hate when their favorite shoe gets a new-model makeover??

I am of the school that you run like you run and you can get in big trouble trying to fix it. I am a relatively high cadence mid/forefoot striker depending on the pace. I have a goofy left foot that strikes waaaaay on the outside of the ball of my foot, so I go through left shoes like there is no tomorrow. Because of this I have found what works for me is a very neutral shoe (as stability shoes cause me to roll my ankle), slightly ramped with some cush just where I need it up front, and no heel counter to speak of. So what has worked for me for the past several years is the Brooks Pure connect, which is plenty of shoe for me. I haven't ever worn the "pure cadence" which is the "stability" version in their "Pure" line of shoes. but it is built similarly no heel counter, and cush only up front. because of the narrow, rounded heel in these shoes I remember them being a little freaky at first, but you come to realize how much you come to rely on that big extruding heel cushion that most shoes have  for stability rather than your own balance and leg strength. Admittedly this does make them about the worst walking around shoes I have ever owned, but hey, they are running shoes, not Rockports.

For trail running I love, love, love Innov8 X-Talon 212s. Those jokers are incredibly light and offer so much grip over a wide range of terrain from wet, dry, hard and soft they just cannot be beat if you don't need a lot of support.

Rusty while in theory I agree with you when you say "I am of the school that you run like you run and you can get in big trouble trying to fix it." Sometimes we don't have a choice.

After my hip replacement my surgeon was only going to let me continue on towards an IM if I changed my running style from heel strike to something less jarring on the joints. I found the Hokas really helped my transition to a mid-strike given the cut of the sole. For me it had nothing to do with weight.

Now having that down better, I can and do wear other shoes but I use my Hokas almost exclusively during events because of the hard surfaces. As for as trail running, not on my radar. Between a reconstructed knee and full hip replacement, I have a hard enough time staying upright on flat surfaces. Besides, as much as I dislike running, truthfully I wouldn't do it anyway! :-0

Edited by Stuartap 2016-01-11 3:14 PM
2016-01-11 3:28 PM
in reply to: BMiller71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by BMiller71

Great day in Sac yesterday. Got out for a 2 hour bike ride. Here is a picture from my ride. This is where I would normally get in my open water swims. Folsom Lake is so far away from the normal shoreline it is crazy. This is where there are local triathlons - going to make for a long T1!

We aren't even that lucky here in Morgan Hill. The reservoir we typically use for our local tri events hasn't had enough water in it to use in three years. I ride around the reservoirs almost every weekend and it is just sad. At one point last year you could walk across the dried up bed which should have been under 20+ feet of water.

They have been moving locations for the events to salt water venues. Half Moon Bay is nice and the bike and run both going up Hwy 1 are beautiful. However one event moved to an inland bay which left the ride to be multiple circles around a commercial warehouse campus. Just about as ugly and boring as you could get.

2016-01-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by Stuartap

My go to drill for my upper body is tennis balls. Hold one in each hand and swim freestyle. It does a few things. First the buoyance of the ball requires you to drive down and through hard. Second, that same buoyancy speeds up your recovery on the back half of the stroke. Third, because you lose the use of your hands it forces you to get more pull from your entire forearm.

That's a really interesting drill, Stuart. I'll have to give that a try sometimes as I definitely need to speed up recovery, plus I have a bunch of dead tennis balls.

FWIW, I'm in the little or no pull-buoy camp.

Stu

2016-01-11 4:59 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
I forgot about that drill Stuart. Thanks for reminding me. My coach is an advocate of the pull buoy and paddles, and lately has also integrated bands. The pull buoy makes me more smooth in the water. I don't have much of a kick so I don't think my speed is that different.

Paddles - at first they were awkward and made my shoulders sore. Now I like using them and they are making my shoulders seem stronger when not using them.

Bands - well they are getting easier but a lot of work for me.

Hey Stuart- I'm getting better at this, but sometimes my right hand still tends to cross the midline when I swim. Other than mentally reminding myself not to do this, do you have any reccs as to how I can avoid this?

Group - what sort of monthly volumes are you doing in the pool. I tend to be 30000-40000 avg yds over last 5-6 months. All of my swims have multiple interval sets with the longest stretch at one time being 400 yds.

It's 20 degrees, cold and snowy. This is the time of year I dread the most. It's even hard to run outside. I wear yak traks in the snow. Has anyone else used them? They seem to actually work pretty well and after a mile or so I even forget I have them on.

Just finished 9 day stretch at a hospital in Ohio. Now back to Michigan. Exciting! Hope to work somewhere warm soon.

Jim
2016-01-11 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jimmyb
my right hand still tends to cross the midline when I swim. Other than mentally reminding myself not to do this, do you have any reccs as to how I can avoid this?

beware of over rotation
and #6 here http://www.swimsmooth.com/contentious.html

- what sort of monthly volumes are you doing in the pool. I tend to be 30000-40000 avg yds over last 5-6 months. All of my swims have multiple interval sets with the longest stretch at one time being 400 yds.

About 9000m (~10,000 yds) per week in 3 sessions
2x1hr of about 2500-2700m (~2750-3000yds)
1x1.5hr of about 4000m (~4400 yds)

Edited by marcag 2016-01-11 5:41 PM
2016-01-11 5:35 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Welcome back, Jim!

Right now I would normally be swimming masters 2x per week at 4200 ~ 4500 yards per. I can maintain well on that.

Early spring I would add another similar session, and by race season I am at my best when I am at 4x 4200 ~ 4500 yards per week.

In the summer though one of those 4 might occasionally be OWS for about 1.5 hours vs. masters.

2016-01-11 5:51 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

2014 I was around 480,000 yards  (40,000/month)

2015 was just over 400,000  (33,500/month)

I vary between 25,000 and 50,000 a month depending on motivation. I suspect this year I will average 30,000/month or somewhere in that range.  At this point I don't seem to  be making any gains in the water so feel the time may be better spent increasing run and bike volume.  I swim at least 3X a week and typically workouts are in the 2-3,000 yard range.

WARNING! Beware of Stuart's tennis ball drill...it is a killer. Stay in the shallow end of the pool.

2016-01-11 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Hey Stuart- I'm getting better at this, but sometimes my right hand still tends to cross the midline when I swim. Other than mentally reminding myself not to do this, do you have any reccs as to how I can avoid this?

Jim

Jim actually the tennis ball drill will itself help with that. As you cross over the mid line the buoyancy of the ball will carry your hand even farther over. This will make the drill very difficult, not to mention awkward. You won't need to think about it, you will know very quickly when you do it as it carries your hand under your body.

2016-01-11 6:06 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

WARNING! Beware of Stuart's tennis ball drill...it is a killer. Stay in the shallow end of the pool.

Randy you weren't supposed to tell anyone!

2016-01-11 6:36 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Elite
Ontario

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'm in the same camp as Randy, as in I want to get faster in the water but don't know that I have the willingness to invest what is needed to make that happen - my goal this year in the water is to be very fit so the HIM swim distance doesn't impact me by beginning/mid-run.

2016-01-11 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
60mins. Treadmill.

5mins @ 9:45 pace
5mins @ 9:30
5mins @ 9:15
5mins @ 9:00
5mins @ 8:45
10mins @ 8:30
5mins @ 8:45
5mins @ 9:00
5mins @ 9:15
5mins @ 9:30
5mins @ 9:45

This was my scheduled run. I did it at a 1% Grade for what its worth. I worked much harder to do this on the treadmill than I do running outside. Does anyone else feel as if treadmill runs are lots harder to maintain pace? An 8 min mile on a treadmill seems hard, but I can easily do an 8 min mile outdoors. I have heard many on another forum (ST) say treadmill runs are lots easier. This is just not the case for me as my effort to maintain the same speed is much greater.
2016-01-11 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
oops posted twice!

Edited by jimmyb 2016-01-11 8:53 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 58512 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.