BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-16 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
This weekend I swam w/ some BT'ers.  A few made a comment about how we are always near the top of the mentor forum page.  I never see this because I have the MG bookmarked, each computer has a different page depending on when I first accessed it.  LOL!  2 of my work computers have the page w/ Tony's pic on it.  So every morning the first thing I see is Tony in his wetsuit.  I really need to update that.Sealed

Anyways, yesterday and today I've been accessing the the MG via the forum page just to see who posted last and where we are post wise compared to those around us.  Obviously not even close.  The guys were like man you have a really cool group, eveyone talks. 

2009-06-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2222974

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-16 8:14 PM This weekend I swam w/ some BT'ers.  A few made a comment about how we are always near the top of the mentor forum page.  I never see this because I have the MG bookmarked, each computer has a different page depending on when I first accessed it.  LOL!  2 of my work computers have the page w/ Tony's pic on it.  So every morning the first thing I see is Tony in his wetsuit.  I really need to update that.Sealed

Anyways, yesterday and today I've been accessing the the MG via the forum page just to see who posted last and where we are post wise compared to those around us.  Obviously not even close.  The guys were like man you have a really cool group, eveyone talks. 

If you want, I can get my wife to take a Costanza-esque shot of me, and I can sent it to you to replace the Tony pic.....or you can put us sideXside...what a good morning present that would be daily!!Kiss

Had a good night. Got the Garmin cadense sensor fired up, and think I've worked the aero bottle/Garmin issue. I guess we'll se how it works on Saturday. 
2009-06-16 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

John, I am all good for the Katy Flatlands Century!  I have permission from my wife and everything.   I will get into town on Saturday by early afternoon and will get a room close by the ride there in Katy.  Perhaps we can lift a couple on Saturday and go have a burrito after the ride on Sunday.  I anticipate my pace to be about 16-17 mph for the ride given normal conditions (i.e. no tropical storms, etc)...  Sunday evening I will be off to Beaumont for a few days of fishing and relaxation. 

Anyone else from the mentor group want to come along?  It will be a good time! 

2009-06-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2223057

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-06-16 9:48 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-16 8:14 PM This weekend I swam w/ some BT'ers.  A few made a comment about how we are always near the top of the mentor forum page.  I never see this because I have the MG bookmarked, each computer has a different page depending on when I first accessed it.  LOL!  2 of my work computers have the page w/ Tony's pic on it.  So every morning the first thing I see is Tony in his wetsuit.  I really need to update that.Sealed

If you want, I can get my wife to take a Costanza-esque shot of me, and I can sent it to you to replace the Tony pic.....or you can put us sideXside...what a good morning present that would be daily!!Kiss

Had a good night. Got the Garmin cadense sensor fired up, and think I've worked the aero bottle/Garmin issue. I guess we'll se how it works on Saturday. 

DO IT!
2009-06-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2223077

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-06-16 9:59 PM

John, I am all good for the Katy Flatlands Century!  I have permission from my wife and everything.   I will get into town on Saturday by early afternoon and will get a room close by the ride there in Katy.  Perhaps we can lift a couple on Saturday and go have a burrito after the ride on Sunday.  I anticipate my pace to be about 16-17 mph for the ride given normal conditions (i.e. no tropical storms, etc)...  Sunday evening I will be off to Beaumont for a few days of fishing and relaxation. 

Anyone else from the mentor group want to come along?  It will be a good time! 

AWESOME! 
2009-06-16 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2223091

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

John, a link or favorite that just has just the thread id in it (and not the post numbers) will always take you to the last page.  I have the follwing set up in my log:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153634 and it works beautifully...

Edited by ashort33 2009-06-16 10:14 PM

2009-06-16 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2223115

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-06-16 10:13 PM

John, a link or favorite that just has just the thread id in it (and not the post numbers) will always take you to the last page.  I have the follwing set up in my log:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153634 and it works beautifully...

right on.  thanks!  i guess i just think its funny that i never bother to look at the main page. 
2009-06-16 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Hey, we made it back.  Man what a trip.  Kids had a blast - hell we all had a blast.  Doug thanks for the DC tips.  Unfortunately we cut DC short because by this time the kids were beat and were asking to get home.

Gettysburg is simply undescribable, Philly is really fun, Atlantic City is extremely fun, but scary, New York gives me a headache, Baltimore is beautiful, DC is not as busy as I imagined. 

And you all didn't let me down.  I predicted page 136 for my return I believe and when I peaked in earlier today I think it was 135. 

All you racers over the last two weekends...you killed it...AWESOME!!! 

Unfortunately my training really took a hit.  I ran once and swam once, both on our first night. When we vacation it's long days.  Out of the room by 8:30 and not back until about 9.  Get the kids cleaned up and in bed and it's too late for me.  I did watch my eating (except for in the All-you-can-eat section at the Oriole's game Sunday) and we probably walked 60 miles.  I figure we walked 8 miles in New York and I do half of my walking carrying one the girls.

Good to be back.

2009-06-16 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2222832

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
trying1 - 2009-06-16 6:12 PM I FINALLY got my new bike back and got fitted for it.  I took it for a short spin.  It felt totally different compared to my old bike but not in a bad way, it's not as agile in turns but it's very quick on the straightaways.  Used the aero bars for the first time and it felt great.  I swerved a little but I think I have the hang of it.  Overall it seems like I don't have to use as much effort to maintain the same speeds I used to.  I'm going on a longer ride tomorrow so we'll if that's still the case tomorrow..

I'm thinking about adding an aero bar drink bottle.  Can anyone recommend one?  Tony, what is the one you use? 

My friend just bought this... Holds 40 ounces.  Only thing he used at Boise...
http://www.invisciddesign.com/index.htm

Swears by it!
2009-06-17 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2223226

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-06-16 11:57 PM
trying1 - 2009-06-16 6:12 PM I FINALLY got my new bike back and got fitted for it.  I took it for a short spin.  It felt totally different compared to my old bike but not in a bad way, it's not as agile in turns but it's very quick on the straightaways.  Used the aero bars for the first time and it felt great.  I swerved a little but I think I have the hang of it.  Overall it seems like I don't have to use as much effort to maintain the same speeds I used to.  I'm going on a longer ride tomorrow so we'll if that's still the case tomorrow..

I'm thinking about adding an aero bar drink bottle.  Can anyone recommend one?  Tony, what is the one you use? 

Swears by it!

I put one of these on a couple of weeks ago.  I like the ease of being able to drink out of it and crosswinds are not an issue, but it has a few downfalls IMO.  First, you cannot tell how much you have consumed so calorie intake is a crapshoot. Second, you need to remove it to empty it before you rack your bike and cleaning it isn't that simple to do, especially the tube.
2009-06-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2220988

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

gadgetlaw - 2009-06-16 11:03 AM So, I am still waiting on the official results from my race on Saturday.  The RD says it could take a week.  We didn't have chips, there were people standing at the exit of each leg (including transitions) with some kind of hand held thingy entering race numbers.  I don't know exactly what it was, but they used it last year also, and it was accurate.  I guess it takes a while to get all that info entered.  I can tell you that I finished third Athena, and got the medal to prove it!!!!  So, I took the plunge today and registered for my first Oly next month.  Somebody tell me I am not crazy and it will be ok??!!

Happy training!

Karen

Hey Karen you are a little crazy, but then aren't we all. And it will be OK. My first OLy is this weekend.

2009-06-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2223160

User image

Champion
marietta
BigReub - 2009-06-16 10:44 PM Hey, we made it back.  Man what a trip.  Kids had a blast - hell we all had a blast.  Doug thanks for the DC tips.  Unfortunately we cut DC short because by this time the kids were beat and were asking to get home.

Gettysburg is simply undescribable, Philly is really fun, Atlantic City is extremely fun, but scary, New York gives me a headache, Baltimore is beautiful, DC is not as busy as I imagined. 

And you all didn't let me down.  I predicted page 136 for my return I believe and when I peaked in earlier today I think it was 135. 

Unfortunately my training really took a hit.  I ran once and swam once, both on our first night. When we vacation it's long days.  Out of the room by 8:30 and not back until about 9.  Get the kids cleaned up and in bed and it's too late for me.  I did watch my eating (except for in the All-you-can-eat section at the Oriole's game Sunday) and we probably walked 60 miles.  I figure we walked 8 miles in New York and I do half of my walking carrying one the girls.

Good to be back.

pictures!   welcome back!!
2009-06-17 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2222974

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-16 9:14 PM This weekend I swam w/ some BT'ers.  A few made a comment about how we are always near the top of the mentor forum page.  I never see this because I have the MG bookmarked, each computer has a different page depending on when I first accessed it.  LOL!  2 of my work computers have the page w/ Tony's pic on it.  So every morning the first thing I see is Tony in his wetsuit.  I really need to update that.Sealed

Funny. I exchanged messages with Suzy about another BTer from Wisconsin and she said she hadn't seen it as she does not look much beyond the MG. This is like a site within a site.

Doug
2009-06-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2223465

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

LOL, not sure I want to look at a picture of myself in a wetsuit everyday...

Welcome back Reuben, lol you were probably one of those tourists I ran by taking pictures.  I often wonder how many peoples vacation pictures I make it in while running downtown.

And yeah it's funny, we have a ton of posts but unlike some other groups that have had tons of posts in the past the majority of our posts actually talk about training.

Edited by dalessit 2009-06-17 8:08 AM
2009-06-17 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2223320

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-06-17 5:06 AM
swbkrun - 2009-06-16 11:57 PM

Swears by it!

I put one of these on a couple of weeks ago.  I like the ease of being able to drink out of it and crosswinds are not an issue, but it has a few downfalls IMO.  First, you cannot tell how much you have consumed so calorie intake is a crapshoot. Second, you need to remove it to empty it before you rack your bike and cleaning it isn't that simple to do, especially the tube.

For $100, it should have someone there pouring the liquid into your mouth as well!!HA.

Welcome back Rueben!
2009-06-17 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Steve,  I love that aero bottle. Especially since I can't use a traditional one up top. I'll have to look into getting one of those.  Thanks for the tip.

Andy, love the new signature.  May I join you?  I take full responsibility for our collective running time. 

Speaking of which, I was doing sprint drills on the TM last night where each minute I would increase the speed.  I ENDED at 8mph which I think is somewhere in the low 7ish min/mile pace.  I can't believe you people can hold that pace for so long.  I could probably squeeze a half mile at that pace and then puke.  Very impressive.  Respect. 

2009-06-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2223646

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-06-17 8:37 AM

Steve,  I love that aero bottle. Especially since I can't use a traditional one up top. I'll have to look into getting one of those.  Thanks for the tip.

Andy, love the new signature.  May I join you?  I take full responsibility for our collective running time. 

Speaking of which, I was doing sprint drills on the TM last night where each minute I would increase the speed.  I ENDED at 8mph which I think is somewhere in the low 7ish min/mile pace.  I can't believe you people can hold that pace for so long.  I could probably squeeze a half mile at that pace and then puke.  Very impressive.  Respect. 

Join me in my 'mea culpea'....   Sorry to have let the team down with my blazing 34 minute 5k...  One day I will I will be faster...

2009-06-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2223320

User image

Veteran
Hi, this is Ryan, Steve's friend ... this was indeed the only thing I ran at Boise. Normally I have a behind-the-seat holder (the Hydrotail H5.c that attaches to the seat post in my P3C). Total nutrition was two bottles on Infinit in the Speedfil and one Roctane for the bike = 650 calories.

You're right on both of the issues with this system; it is difficult to tell exactly how much you've ingested. WARNING: some nerdy calculating upcoming, so put on your pocket protectors... What I did was to take a measuring cup of water, put the Speedfil straw in the cup and figure out how many "sips" it took me to drain 1 cup. 40 oz = 5 cups. Two standard servings of Infinit are 550 calories, so that's 110 calories per cup, and then it was just a matter of figuring out many sips I should take every fifteen minutes. This is what I did at IMC as well (I carried dry Infinit in a bottle as well, mixed it with water from an aid station, and then squirted it into the Speedfil), and it's actually worked out very nicely: I had only a small amount left as I came into T2 in both occasions.

As for cleaning the tube, I will usually run some diluted bleach through it a few times using a funnel, and rinse it thoroughly.

Because it does fill so much of the "space" on the frame, it can be difficult to get the bike on to our car rack, but on the plus side, it acts as a pretty nice aero fairing.
2009-06-17 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2223160

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

BigReub - 2009-06-16 10:44 PM Hey, we made it back.  Man what a trip.  Kids had a blast - hell we all had a blast.  Doug thanks for the DC tips.  Unfortunately we cut DC short because by this time the kids were beat and were asking to get home.

Good to be back.

Welcome back BigReub!

2009-06-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2223729

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
ryanp100 - 2009-06-17 9:01 AM Hi, this is Ryan, Steve's friend ... this was indeed the only thing I ran at Boise. Normally I have a behind-the-seat holder (the Hydrotail H5.c that attaches to the seat post in my P3C). Total nutrition was two bottles on Infinit in the Speedfil and one Roctane for the bike = 650 calories. You're right on both of the issues with this system; it is difficult to tell exactly how much you've ingested. WARNING: some nerdy calculating upcoming, so put on your pocket protectors... What I did was to take a measuring cup of water, put the Speedfil straw in the cup and figure out how many "sips" it took me to drain 1 cup. 40 oz = 5 cups. Two standard servings of Infinit are 550 calories, so that's 110 calories per cup, and then it was just a matter of figuring out many sips I should take every fifteen minutes. This is what I did at IMC as well (I carried dry Infinit in a bottle as well, mixed it with water from an aid station, and then squirted it into the Speedfil), and it's actually worked out very nicely: I had only a small amount left as I came into T2 in both occasions. As for cleaning the tube, I will usually run some diluted bleach through it a few times using a funnel, and rinse it thoroughly. Because it does fill so much of the "space" on the frame, it can be difficult to get the bike on to our car rack, but on the plus side, it acts as a pretty nice aero fairing.

Too funny.  I actually was going to do the same thing.  I have a very "scientific" drinking protocol for marathons, but am still learning on the bike to run.  I'm going to try it before my Oly on Sunday.

On a separate note, I would like to nominate myself for the "clod of the day" award.  I set up my new Bontrager rear drink holder yesterday so thought I should try it during my rainy morning ride.  I was successful at getting the bottle out, had to do some fancy maneuvering to try to drink out of it and in the process pulled the cap off.  The entire bottle went all over me and my bike.  The good news is I stayed upright during all of this.  The bad news is my bike was very unhappy when I had to give it a bath.

PS How Steve and Roni managed to ride in a torrential downpour escapes me.  I couldn't see much through my sunglasses and my hands were so wet they kept slipping on the brakes. Me, no like rain and riding.

Suzy
2009-06-17 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ryanp100 - 2009-06-17 8:01 AM Hi, this is Ryan, Steve's friend ... this was indeed the only thing I ran at Boise. Normally I have a behind-the-seat holder (the Hydrotail H5.c that attaches to the seat post in my P3C). Total nutrition was two bottles on Infinit in the Speedfil and one Roctane for the bike = 650 calories. You're right on both of the issues with this system; it is difficult to tell exactly how much you've ingested. WARNING: some nerdy calculating upcoming, so put on your pocket protectors... What I did was to take a measuring cup of water, put the Speedfil straw in the cup and figure out how many "sips" it took me to drain 1 cup. 40 oz = 5 cups. Two standard servings of Infinit are 550 calories, so that's 110 calories per cup, and then it was just a matter of figuring out many sips I should take every fifteen minutes. This is what I did at IMC as well (I carried dry Infinit in a bottle as well, mixed it with water from an aid station, and then squirted it into the Speedfil), and it's actually worked out very nicely: I had only a small amount left as I came into T2 in both occasions. As for cleaning the tube, I will usually run some diluted bleach through it a few times using a funnel, and rinse it thoroughly. Because it does fill so much of the "space" on the frame, it can be difficult to get the bike on to our car rack, but on the plus side, it acts as a pretty nice aero fairing.

Very good advice....On another note...I'd like to nominate Mr. Steve Birds as Mentor of the year(not sure what would come with the title, but none the less.) His group has a question that he can not fully answer, so he talks to  his buddy and gets him to create a brand new user profile on the system to help answer our question.... I mean it! Thanks Steve!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-06-17 9:25 AM

2009-06-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2223797

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2009-06-17 10:17 AM
ryanp100 - 2009-06-17 9:01 AM Hi, this is Ryan, Steve's friend ... this was indeed the only thing I ran at Boise. Normally I have a behind-the-seat holder (the Hydrotail H5.c that attaches to the seat post in my P3C). Total nutrition was two bottles on Infinit in the Speedfil and one Roctane for the bike = 650 calories. You're right on both of the issues with this system; it is difficult to tell exactly how much you've ingested. WARNING: some nerdy calculating upcoming, so put on your pocket protectors... What I did was to take a measuring cup of water, put the Speedfil straw in the cup and figure out how many "sips" it took me to drain 1 cup. 40 oz = 5 cups. Two standard servings of Infinit are 550 calories, so that's 110 calories per cup, and then it was just a matter of figuring out many sips I should take every fifteen minutes. This is what I did at IMC as well (I carried dry Infinit in a bottle as well, mixed it with water from an aid station, and then squirted it into the Speedfil), and it's actually worked out very nicely: I had only a small amount left as I came into T2 in both occasions. As for cleaning the tube, I will usually run some diluted bleach through it a few times using a funnel, and rinse it thoroughly. Because it does fill so much of the "space" on the frame, it can be difficult to get the bike on to our car rack, but on the plus side, it acts as a pretty nice aero fairing.

Too funny.  I actually was going to do the same thing.  I have a very "scientific" drinking protocol for marathons, but am still learning on the bike to run.  I'm going to try it before my Oly on Sunday.

On a separate note, I would like to nominate myself for the "clod of the day" award.  I set up my new Bontrager rear drink holder yesterday so thought I should try it during my rainy morning ride.  I was successful at getting the bottle out, had to do some fancy maneuvering to try to drink out of it and in the process pulled the cap off.  The entire bottle went all over me and my bike.  The good news is I stayed upright during all of this.  The bad news is my bike was very unhappy when I had to give it a bath.

PS How Steve and Roni managed to ride in a torrential downpour escapes me.  I couldn't see much through my sunglasses and my hands were so wet they kept slipping on the brakes. Me, no like rain and riding.

Suzy

At least it was already raining!  In hot and dry weather the bees would have been after you. Ever get a bee stuck in the helmet?  Or worse down the sports bra?!?!  That was not fun!!!
2009-06-17 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

Awesome thanks Ryan!  That isn't nerdy.   And you provide me us with another excuse to go to the home brew store!!!  Beer line cleaner will work just like beach.   

x2 what Trevor said!
2009-06-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2223797

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-06-17 9:17 AM

Suzy

I see you figured out the sig line - I love it!

2009-06-17 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
wow, we have 138 pages, and most don't even have 20!

good stuff.  What do you guys do all day? work by a computer?

Hard to keep up with the convos, but thank you all for the inspires and messages to my profile!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383