General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3529119

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
phatknot - 2011-06-02 11:59 AM

I dk how you can clearly judge training after a fail on a long run on the hottest most humid night of the year. 99 degrees!!!

Good point Harvey. I started the run at about 5:30, so not my most thought out move of the year.....

I should probably invest in a gym membership again. Running on a treadmill this time of year might not be such a bad idea

2011-06-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Elite
SE
Mrs. Slayer wants me to keep it closer to home in GA, but if I had my way, which I often do, I would head directly to England for either Outlaw in Nottingham in July or Challenge London in Sept. Apart from that, I am considering Beach 2 Battleship and Rev3 Ohio, along with TTT-Ohio in the spring (doing TTT-NC this Fall).
2011-06-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3529015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
15step - 2011-06-02 8:25 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-06-02 10:51 AM

15step - 2011-06-02 6:07 AM Is it just me, or is anyone else just ready for this to be over? Seriously, I am not having nearly as much fun as I was last year for my first IM.

Yeah -- I've been having a lot of that this go-around. Feels like more of a grind this year. Can't help but wonder if part of that is due to the crappy spring weather (or long-lasting winter weather, I should say). I also think that, when the end is in sight, you just want to get the party started. We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so now we want to go through said tunnel!! Hang in there, peeps!!

With me, its almost exactly opposite. Last year, I worked my butt off. Lots and lots of 15+ hr weeks. This year, not so much. It hardly felt like an IM build at all, and my distance stuff just began last week (I did my first 100/5 brick a week ago!) I guess I am just frustrated in that I feel less prepared this time than I did my first, and the lack of work I have been given has overall made me very complacent about CdA. I followed my coaches plan, and though I do see some benefit to workouts (lots and lots of interval work on the bike has made me much more powerful) it just is not what I was expecting, especially comparing my data to everyone elses. What do I have to look forward to if I know that, come race day, I am not going to perform at the level I want???

This.  I feel the exact same way.  Although I have been mostly following my coaches plan, I was exteremly late to get started.  And I'm like 30 pounds overweight and none of my tri shorts fit.  So that sorta sucks too.  However, I still have IMAZ to look forward to this year and I'm going to KILL IT there!

Edited by sarahk 2011-06-02 12:32 PM
2011-06-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3529313

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
15step - 2011-06-02 10:23 AM Anyone else out here have advice on how to go through this sport without going crazy like me? I need to learn to trust my fitness more, and be patient that it will come when I am ready. Any more
 seasoned people have words of wisdom?

Paraphrased from an article in this month's Lava Magazine:

Successful Ironman Athletes are able to ignore the things they cannot change and put all of their energy into the things they can change. 

My guess is that most of us probably follow this addage in reverse... Surprised 

One last thing to say: It is going to be great fun sitting in the food tent on race day enjoying a piece of pizza and listening to the story of your IM Race; First piece is on me.

Edited by WaterDog66 2011-06-02 12:45 PM
2011-06-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3529282

User image

Biddeford, Maine

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 1:03 PM Question for the Cool Kids:

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012.  

I'm holding out for the possibility of NYC in 2012 or 2013...swimming with the syringes in the Hudson!

2011-06-02 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Anyone planning on racing zipp 808's this year, or better yet if you have road them at CDA in years past...?  I am renting a pair of carbon clincher 808's for the race but am slightly concerned about the crosswinds, thoughts??

2011-06-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3529360

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 1:44 PM

15step - 2011-06-02 10:23 AM Anyone else out here have advice on how to go through this sport without going crazy like me? I need to learn to trust my fitness more, and be patient that it will come when I am ready. Any more
 seasoned people have words of wisdom?

Paraphrased from an article in this month's Lava Magazine:

Successful Ironman Athletes are able to ignore the things they cannot change and put all of their energy into the things they can change. 

My guess is that most of us probably follow this addage in reverse... Surprised 

One last thing to say: It is going to be great fun sitting in the food tent on race day enjoying a piece of pizza and listening to the story of your IM Race; First piece is on me.

Thank you for this, I feel like I have not been getting enough of that honesty lately. I worry way too hard about stuff I have no control over, and I need to cut it out.

I have no doubt in my mind that race day wont be an amazing experience. Just the time leading up to it is driving me crazy
2011-06-02 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3529313

Master
, California

Anyone else out here have advice on how to go through this sport without going crazy like me? I need to learn to trust my fitness more, and be patient that it will come when I am ready. Any more seasoned people have words of wisdom?

I told myself a couple things when I started doing triathlons and repeated them when I started doing endurance events:

- I want this to be something I enjoy for the long haul.
- Never put triathlon ahead of my job unless it IS my job (not likely).
- If I feel burned out or not up for a certain workout, take a break or do something different.

For the most part I've managed a good training balance.  My logs don't reflect it right now because I've been struggling with an injury.  But the key for me is remembering that this is supposed to be fun.  Sometimes that means shuffling the plan.  Sometimes I don't take the gadgets with me and I just ride.  Sometimes I sleep in

I never want to train to hate it, so to speak.

2011-06-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3529378

Master
, California

Selachophobia - 2011-06-02 10:58 AM Anyone planning on racing zipp 808's this year, or better yet if you have road them at CDA in years past...?  I am renting a pair of carbon clincher 808's for the race but am slightly concerned about the crosswinds, thoughts??

I did last year; I'll be riding a disc this year.  Wind is not bad.  If you haven't ridden on 808s before, see if you can get a warmup ride just to get a feel for them.  But honestly you'll get more push from a car going past you than from any wind at CdA.

2011-06-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3529378

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

Selachophobia - 2011-06-02 10:58 AM Anyone planning on racing zipp 808's this year, or better yet if you have road them at CDA in years past...?  I am renting a pair of carbon clincher 808's for the race but am slightly concerned about the crosswinds, thoughts??

Rode 808s w/ rear cover at CdA last year (and will again this year).  No issues.  To be honest, I've never had issues with the 808 setup in any race/winds, and I've rolled them in some serious winds before.  As long as your bike handling/control skills are decent, you'll be fine.

2011-06-02 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
I'm also in the camp of folks that seem worn down at this point, but I think this is the natural time to feel that way. This is my first IM, and I've been preparing mentally for the long workout phase for six months, and now that it is largely over, it wasn't near as big and intense as I had been anticipating. Seeing my workouts in the context of some of the logs here feeds into that (I mean, 105 hours, holy crap...) Even with that, I've had June 4 circled on the calendar for a long time, as the last big all-day training day, followed by taking Sunday off and celebrating my son's 10th birthday. Right now I've managed to get myself totally psyched up for this weekend, and anticipate that I'll be able to carry that through three more weeks once the worst is over and the die has been cast. I also know that for the two HIMs I've done I've substantially outperformed my expectations and training, and although there's no guarantee that will happen in a full, it keeps me optimistic when I take it in the context of all the training I have done, as opposed to the training that I haven't.

One thing I did this week to keep some focus and motivation was read Macca's book on a couple of long flights Tuesday and Wednesday. I thought it was great reading right now in the context of where we are at and the race we are about to do, and has a few pointers that I will incorporate into this final month. For folks who love the sport and/or interesting characters in general, there's a lot to like in that book.

As for next year, I've been saying all along that I'm not deciding any future plans until the 4th of July weekend, when I know how CDA went and how well I'm recovering. Then there's three schools of thought: 1 - Stick to HIMs from now on, since I really like that distance and fulls might be pushing myself a little too far; 2 - Go crazy on IM because I now know my body can do it, and go for a St.George-Norseman epic year; 3 - Do one IM and a couple of destination races, ideally Alcatraz and Honu 70.3. This new IM in Quebec that they're about to announce for next year looks like a really interesting possibility for that option.

Stay safe, positive and strong through this weekend, then I'm confident this will get much easier mentally. Almost there.

2011-06-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3528612

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

phatknot - 2011-06-02 6:08 AM The feelings of anxiety, the obsessiveness, the self-absorbtion are hitting me more and more each day. The only calm moments are when you are distracted or working out. I have been pretty good about being consistent over the months of build for this event, but I get them anyways. I am sure some of you feel the same. Maybe time for KiKi zen to give us some mental coping strategies haha.

Ha Ha   I'm not a mental health professional.  I just play one on BT forums. 

I think everyone has done a good job of doing the group hug thing the past couple of pages.  I'm right there with everyone else feeling tired and ready to be done... ready for race day.  I question my preparation, and only have myself to blame since I don't have a coach.  This is the first time I've done an IM two years in a row and I expected big gains that I haven't seen yet.  I am hoping that's because I also increased my volume this year and between training and illness I have yet to go into a race fresh.  But that was the plan.  Work hard. Taper smart. Race happy and healthy and see what happens.

If all else fails, go back to your original motivation for doing an Ironman.  I train and race because I can.  I use it as an active form of gratitude for my health and my amazing life.  I started doing triathlons to honor the memory of my sister.  She died at the age of 29 after surviving hodgkins but being ravaged by the treatment.  After the surgeries, chemo, and radiation she could barely breathe deep enough to do day to day activity. How amazing it is to be able to keep my body moving continuously forward for the better part of a day! One year before I did my first Ironman I sat on the rocks lining the Oceanside beach cheering the back of the pack Ironman runners running in the dark.  I didn't leave until the last one went by (my family begged for a couple hours to go home).  I thought they were the coolest people on the planet.  Now I'm one of them

2011-06-02 1:47 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 11:03 AM Question for the Cool Kids:

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012. 

I'm not doing an IM in 2012.  My daughter is graduating from high school next year, so we will be spending our money and time on college visits and fun family times.  I also plan to work on my running (I'm always working on my running).  We have really excellent trail race series around the moutain region that don't require much travel or large entry fees.  I think ultra trail runners are kinda cool and I want to be one of them too

...maybe IM Arizona 2012 if my family agrees it doesn't really impact senior year (I'm an addict)

2011-06-02 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 10:03 AM Question for the Cool Kids:

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012. Will you be signing up for CdA 2012 on Saturday, or maybe you are planning on getting in the queue to sign up for a different race. There might be one or two of us that are just going to be glad that it is over and swear off forever this silly notion of the Ironman.

I ask because now is the time to solidify those plans. Remember that registration is 1 year in advance and we all need to be Johnny on the Spot when it comes to getting registered for our followup race.

One option that I have done in the past and will very likely be doing this year is to volunteer for my target race and get registration priority for the following year. (I am going to try and get into IMMoo in 2012

So, I clearly have lost my marbles. In addition to IMCdA this year, I am also signed up for IMAZ.  Okay, not too much marble losing in that...2 in one year, with a good distance of time between, time to train, etc. Got it.  Then, after cheering at IMTX (my home city in fact) someone handed me a Kool Aid cup, and I drank the Kool Aid.  So, in 2012 I'll be doing IMTX as well.  For that race I really will have worries about heat and humidity! But, the support there was unlike anything I had ever seen, felt like I was literally home, and I am really excited about it.  So, 3 IMs in one year time span--a little nuts, but I likely won't be doing an IM in '13 or '14 due to job (HIMs yes), so I'm making up for it now.  And I can. 

To our other discussions, yes, I have had thoughts about my training program as well--we surely all have like we've said.  But at the same time, I do know I will be ready for 140.6. I cannot change anything that is past.  So, whatever you do, once taper gets here, do not dwell on what might've been.  Know what you have, know that you have the tools, and then look at it from a smart execution process.  Visualize the race. Walk yourself, mentally, through every aspect of it EXACTLY the way you WANT it to happen.  Visualize your perfect race day, the perfect way to feel, the perfect mantras to go to, the perfect thing that drives you and motivates you.  Determine all of those things BEFORE race day.  Then, when race day comes, go into it with THAT perfect visualization in mind.  Will you have to adapt on the fly out there, absolutely you will! But, just do that, adapt.  Change what you can change, control what you can control, and the rest of it, just go with it.  If it's raining on race day, it's raining on everyone.  If it's hot and windy on race day, it's hot and windy for everyone.  What matters is that you keep moving forward with what you have.  Due to the Team I work with, I have been able to talk to some of our pro-triathletes.  One, an up and comer who is the 2xdefending Women's Armed Forces champion and has her eyes on 2016 Olympics, stayed with me for a race she was doing. We got to talk a lot. I have 5 years of life on her, but she has the mind of a champion.  She taught me something that I use for my racing now and have shared with others (a friend that did IMTX and said it helped her run the whole marathon): race with no expectations other than giving 100% of what you've got for the day that you're given.  Don't slave yourself to a time, to a pace, etc.  Simply give it what you have for that moment, and finish knowing you gave it your best.  

Okay--time to knock out these last two papers so I can focus on important things, like planning my drive to Idaho! No more classes for the school year, just 2 papers!   

2011-06-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3529494

User image

Veteran
Austin
TexasMPGal - 2011-06-02 1:51 PM

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 10:03 AM Question for the Cool Kids:

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012. Will you be signing up for CdA 2012 on Saturday, or maybe you are planning on getting in the queue to sign up for a different race. There might be one or two of us that are just going to be glad that it is over and swear off forever this silly notion of the Ironman.

I ask because now is the time to solidify those plans. Remember that registration is 1 year in advance and we all need to be Johnny on the Spot when it comes to getting registered for our followup race.

One option that I have done in the past and will very likely be doing this year is to volunteer for my target race and get registration priority for the following year. (I am going to try and get into IMMoo in 2012

So, I clearly have lost my marbles. In addition to IMCdA this year, I am also signed up for IMAZ.  Okay, not too much marble losing in that...2 in one year, with a good distance of time between, time to train, etc. Got it.  Then, after cheering at IMTX (my home city in fact) someone handed me a Kool Aid cup, and I drank the Kool Aid.  So, in 2012 I'll be doing IMTX as well.  For that race I really will have worries about heat and humidity! But, the support there was unlike anything I had ever seen, felt like I was literally home, and I am really excited about it.  So, 3 IMs in one year time span--a little nuts, but I likely won't be doing an IM in '13 or '14 due to job (HIMs yes), so I'm making up for it now.  And I can. 

To our other discussions, yes, I have had thoughts about my training program as well--we surely all have like we've said.  But at the same time, I do know I will be ready for 140.6. I cannot change anything that is past.  So, whatever you do, once taper gets here, do not dwell on what might've been.  Know what you have, know that you have the tools, and then look at it from a smart execution process.  Visualize the race. Walk yourself, mentally, through every aspect of it EXACTLY the way you WANT it to happen.  Visualize your perfect race day, the perfect way to feel, the perfect mantras to go to, the perfect thing that drives you and motivates you.  Determine all of those things BEFORE race day.  Then, when race day comes, go into it with THAT perfect visualization in mind.  Will you have to adapt on the fly out there, absolutely you will! But, just do that, adapt.  Change what you can change, control what you can control, and the rest of it, just go with it.  If it's raining on race day, it's raining on everyone.  If it's hot and windy on race day, it's hot and windy for everyone.  What matters is that you keep moving forward with what you have.  Due to the Team I work with, I have been able to talk to some of our pro-triathletes.  One, an up and comer who is the 2xdefending Women's Armed Forces champion and has her eyes on 2016 Olympics, stayed with me for a race she was doing. We got to talk a lot. I have 5 years of life on her, but she has the mind of a champion.  She taught me something that I use for my racing now and have shared with others (a friend that did IMTX and said it helped her run the whole marathon): race with no expectations other than giving 100% of what you've got for the day that you're given.  Don't slave yourself to a time, to a pace, etc.  Simply give it what you have for that moment, and finish knowing you gave it your best.  

Okay--time to knock out these last two papers so I can focus on important things, like planning my drive to Idaho! No more classes for the school year, just 2 papers!   

Very perceptive, "kiddo" !! There is a lot of very good advice in what you said, and I will keep that in mind going into IMFL. Only thing I might add is something I was told: "Make your plan, train to your plan, expect to execute your plan... now make a backup plan ahead of time, so that if/when the need comes, transition to and execution of said backup plan is automatic."

Good luck to you all.

2011-06-02 2:12 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, AL

As my first major destination race, this CDA experience has blown a serious hole in my wallet.  On the flip-side, hopefully the wife and kids will view it as a  "chance to visit a part of the country we've never been" as opposed to "just a selfish trip to pacific northwest so daddy can swim,bike,run".  Really hoping it's the former. 

That being said, I'm putting IM training on hold for a bit.  I did IMFL 6 months ago and need some downtime and allow my bank account to recover too.  A buddy of mine is thinking about doing his first IM at Louisville in 2012, and maybe I'll join him.  It's driving distance so becomes about an order magnitude cheaper and easier to get to.

Would like to take rest of 2011 season to do a bunch of sprints & oly's that are local to me.

2011-06-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3528704

User image

Veteran
Dallas

15step - 2011-06-02 8:07 AM Is it just me, or is anyone else just ready for this to be over? Seriously, I am not having nearly as much fun as I was last year for my first IM.

Coming from a Sprint/Olympic/HIM background, I have found the training load for a full IM very hard to manage.  It's not twice the load of a 70.3, it's like four times the load.  Really early mornings, a lunch here and there, late nights, and using vacation days to keep up with the plan.  Rain/Snow/Wind/Hail/Heat/Cold?  I've been out there, even against better judgement.   

Last night I put the kids to bed, waited for the wife to call it a night (around 9pm) and I ran to the gym and did a 2 hour workout only to get up at 4:45am for my 10 mile hill run.  That is freaking nuts and not normal, but I made a commitment on day one that I would give it 100% and I'm sticking to it as this will more than likely be my first and last full IM.  

When my will and spirit are low and I feel somewhat unmotivated, all I think about is what I sacrificed since December to get to this point.  No mater what happens on 6/26, I'm already proud of what I have accomplished.     

2011-06-02 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3529578

User image

Elite
SE

Bravo 3Aims!

I loved that bit in the video someone recently posted of IMCDA 2010 where it has the face shots of the athletes explaining why they do Ironman and some stuck with me (pain, beautiful addiction, etc.) Now is a good time to make sure you know why you are doing this, as you may be questioning yourself at some point in the event and you need to know how to answer yourself so you don't DNF.

I think you will often hear that the training is harder than the race from a lot of folks, but I love training. There is no pressure for the most part. You can mess up and move on.

Regardless of what anybody says, race day is a different animal altogether. If you mess it up, it stays with you longer and more poignantly. Its higher stakes and you can do everything you can to prepare and be fit, but can you adjust? Can you answer the demons when it counts? Believe that you will with every fiber in your body or the chances that you DNF go up.

2011-06-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3529578

User image

New user
Louisville, KY

When my will and spirit are low and I feel somewhat unmotivated, all I think about is what I sacrificed since December to get to this point.  No matter what happens on 6/26, I'm already proud of what I have accomplished.     

I'll be keeping these words in mind.

2011-06-02 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I'm also doing AZ this year, so I cant even wrap my head around planning for next year. I can see doing AZ again next year just because it's logistically easy. I'd like to do a half or two and definitely do some local oly's.I'm actually feeling very positive still. I spend long minutes thinking the race over while swimming laps. I've had a few jitters and "what if" moments, but I'm so stoked on what I've accomplished so far, I can't help but be excited. We're going on a week long vacation to Colorado about 2 weeks after CdA, and I plan on laying around basking in the glory of killing this race.
2011-06-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3529749

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
jackson61802 - 2011-06-02 2:22 PM I'm also doing AZ this year, so I cant even wrap my head around planning for next year.

You will do great in Arizona. A nice contrast to IMCdA in very many ways. The Desert can also be a beautiful place even if you do end up running the marathon in the dark. (Only the fastest of the fasties get a daylight finish)

Question for you: Are you going to be doing the Long Beach Marathon in October?

Edited by WaterDog66 2011-06-02 5:29 PM

2011-06-02 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
24 days!!!!
2011-06-02 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
 i AM GOING TO JOIN THE  camp of no decision until July for 2012. Right now I do not see an IM race each year.  However, I need to race first.  I have heard so many stories of the thought of never again during the build phase only to sign up again after the rush of the finisher chute.  However, I have really missed family time and other pursuits this spring.  Yet, I really want to accomplish SIlverman.  However, for me triathlons are a part of life and training for an IM has really made it a little more of life than just a part of life.  I have enjoyed the accomplishment of training but I think for me it will be something I do every other year or so.  However, if the rush is addictive in the finisher chute I will post my 2012 plans with a small portion of crow on the side!!
2011-06-02 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3529790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 5:08 PM
jackson61802 - 2011-06-02 2:22 PM I'm also doing AZ this year, so I cant even wrap my head around planning for next year.

You will do great in Arizona. A nice contrast to IMCdA in very many ways. The Desert can also be a beautiful place even if you do end up running the marathon in the dark. (Only the fastest of the fasties get a daylight finish)

Question for you: Are you going to be doing the Long Beach Marathon in October?
My wife did it as her first last year, and as of now she's planning on doing it again. If so, I won't so I can guide the kids around town on our bikes cheering her on. I've never done a marathon before, and based on my training to this point, I'm really curious to see how well I can do if I put all this effort into it.
2011-06-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3529936

Master
, California

I have heard so many stories of the thought of never again during the build phase only to sign up again after the rush of the finisher chute.

Hah!  I'm the guy who was mumbling "never again" in the finish chute  Signing up for another one doesn't even cross my mind for several weeks until I'm completely recovered.

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171