BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-05-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2769762

Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED

congrats on the new bike!! Cool

unfortunately i don't have a choice about swimming outside - they are completely redoing the indoor pool and the work will last all summer, so they've opened the outdoor pool for lap swim only this month.  it doesn't open up to regular patrons until June.  (its in the low 70s here today)

2010-05-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2852134

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Lauren - awesome news about the bike!  Maybe you can take advantage of this find in the future, too, when you're ready for an upgrade!  My garage looks a lot like that - my husband loves to buy and fix up old bikes.  So sadly what he gets for me tend to be older steel numbers, but I am grateful anyway  

2010-05-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2853371

BikerGrrrl - 2010-05-13 7:31 AM

Lauren - awesome news about the bike!  Maybe you can take advantage of this find in the future, too, when you're ready for an upgrade! 

LOL, I did think I should keep his email for when I'm really to move up and see if he'd be willing to part w/ the Ruby Laughing
2010-05-12 3:00 PM

User image

I ran two miles continuously this morning! I have NEVER done that before. I am very proud of myself. I then walked a quarter mile, ran a half, walked a quarter, finished doing that until 4 miles. I did 4.25 miles in 60 minutes with is .25 miles farther than Saturday OR I finished four miles four minutes faster than I did on Saturday. However you want to look at it.

I like to run now. I love my Vibrams. :D

2010-05-12 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2854644

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
lesliericheytoo - 2010-05-12 4:00 PM

I ran two miles continuously this morning! I have NEVER done that before. I am very proud of myself. I then walked a quarter mile, ran a half, walked a quarter, finished doing that until 4 miles. I did 4.25 miles in 60 minutes with is .25 miles farther than Saturday OR I finished four miles four minutes faster than I did on Saturday. However you want to look at it.

Excellent...  Keep up the great effort....
2010-05-12 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

WOOO-HOOO!!!!!! 

lesliericheytoo - 2010-05-12 3:00 PM

2010-05-12 5:55 PM

lesliericheytoo - 2010-05-13 2:00 PM

2010-05-12 5:55 PM

lesliericheytoo - 2010-05-13 2:00 PM

Good job!

Edited by LaurenCO 2010-05-12 5:56 PM
2010-05-13 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Got in a quick swim last night...  Seeing Dr today about the pains, so maybe we can figure something out.
2010-05-13 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
I'm going to toot my own horn for a minute here.  I went to the pool this morning and after my warmup, I did 600m straight swimming!  WOO HOO!!  I know it's not much to some of you fishes, but this is huge for me.  I've always had a bit of a mental block once I got to 300m.  I've done 400m before but it was hard.  Today the 600m almost felt easy.  My breathing was easy, my HR was up but not out of control and I just felt light in the water.  I even felt like I could have kept going.  I guess all the drills and laps are starting to pay offSmile.  Now if I can just have the same kind of breakthrough on the bike...

2010-05-13 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
lesliericheytoo - 2010-05-12 3:00 PM

Congratulations!

2010-05-13 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2855931

soccermom15 - 2010-05-13 10:14 AM I'm going to toot my own horn for a minute here.  I went to the pool this morning and after my warmup, I did 600m straight swimming!  WOO HOO!!  I know it's not much to some of you fishes, but this is huge for me.  I've always had a bit of a mental block once I got to 300m.  I've done 400m before but it was hard.  Today the 600m almost felt easy.  My breathing was easy, my HR was up but not out of control and I just felt light in the water.  I even felt like I could have kept going.  I guess all the drills and laps are starting to pay offSmile.  Now if I can just have the same kind of breakthrough on the bike...

that's awesome!   trust me i know just how great of an accomplishment that is. 
2010-05-13 11:27 AM

Soccermom,
That is an accomplishment! It seems like many of us are having big milestones.

Its nice to have someone to share these things with who understands how special it is to have a first OWS, or a first 600m swim or first 2 miles w/o stopping.

I know w/ IRL friends, its hard for them to understand. The reason I became interested in triathlon was because 1) I've never been able to swim 2) Or bike lol. Running was pushing my body to its physical limits but I wanted something to push my mental limits as well. Swimming and biking are things I was and still am afraid of. I'm not comfortable doing either and that is why I do them.

I read somewhere that if you aren't moving forward in life, you are actually moving backwards and losing ground. You cannot ever stay in place (ie comfort zone).

And Steve,
Good luck w/ the doc. I hope you can find out what's going on so you can fix it and feel better soon.

I'm off for a run! Have a great day guys.

Lauren
2010-05-13 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Great job on the 600, did my first a few weeks ago, so WOO HOOO... 

2 Miles straight, have not done that in 3-4 yrs so again great job, WOO HOO...

Dr. is thinking pain on sides is actually pinched nerve in back, X-Rays this morning, waiting on results, but the position sure was uncomfortable, so maybe she is correct. 

She asked me to limit Freestyle until my shoulders hurt less when I raise them up to the side.

Practice Tri on Sat with full .3 mile swim and 15 mile bike but only 1 mile run, which I want to do with only walking in transition to get to road, we will see....

Again great job on your milestones...  WOOO HOOOO
2010-05-13 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You go!  That's great!  Believe me, I can relate. 

I try to log this sort of thing, with my thoughts, as I go.  I want to be able to look back later and see how far I've come. 

soccermom15 - 2010-05-13 9:14 AM I'm going to toot my own horn for a minute here.  I went to the pool this morning and after my warmup, I did 600m straight swimming!  WOO HOO!!  I know it's not much to some of you fishes, but this is huge for me.  I've always had a bit of a mental block once I got to 300m.  I've done 400m before but it was hard.  Today the 600m almost felt easy.  My breathing was easy, my HR was up but not out of control and I just felt light in the water.  I even felt like I could have kept going.  I guess all the drills and laps are starting to pay offSmile.  Now if I can just have the same kind of breakthrough on the bike...

2010-05-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2856555

Lauren - I agree with you.  Too many friends just don't understand and their flippant excuses just irriate me.   Like the ones who say "I couldn't run for a minute much less a mile".  neither could I a year ago - that's the point!   but you can't force motivation on anyone.

Steve - if you do officially get that diagnosis, is there much they can do to relieve the pain?

with the running milestones, I take it that several of you don't come from a running background?  running is the only one of the 3 that i do with any confidence i can't tell you the last time i ran less than 2 miles.  biking however - 16 miles has been my longest jaunt.

2010-05-13 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Dr. Office called...  I am getting old is the official diagnosis from the X-Ray...  Can schedule an MRI if pain continues....

Please yell at me if you do not see stretching in my log at least every 3rd day...  It seems to be a common trait, everything is tight and tense...

As for running background, I ran a lot in the 90's then knee injury took 18 months to recover, then added 60 pounds, so I am no where near where I was, used to do 9 min miles and have some fun (remember running 3 miles in eye of hurricane, splashing in the puddles) , now I do 13s and have pain and tightness.

Looking to jog some tonight and sttrrreeeeeettttttttttccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2010-05-13 7:08 PM

User image

I went to the pool this morning and after my warmup, I did 600m straight swimming!  WOO HOO!! 

I totally missed this post yesterday and I'm sorry!  That is a huge deal. I remember that milestone...it was only a few months ago. Laughing

Keep up the good work!
2010-05-13 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2857486

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
otter_sh - 2010-05-13 5:20 PM

Dr. Office called...  I am getting old is the official diagnosis from the X-Ray...  Can schedule an MRI if pain continues....

Please yell at me if you do not see stretching in my log at least every 3rd day...  It seems to be a common trait, everything is tight and tense...

As for running background, I ran a lot in the 90's then knee injury took 18 months to recover, then added 60 pounds, so I am no where near where I was, used to do 9 min miles and have some fun (remember running 3 miles in eye of hurricane, splashing in the puddles) , now I do 13s and have pain and tightness.

Looking to jog some tonight and sttrrreeeeeettttttttttccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Did a little stretch but no run, ran errands instead.
2010-05-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2857927

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Steve - have you ever tried yoga?  When I'm in bad shape, tightness wise, I do a few yoga classes.  You don't have to throw all of your energy into it (I hate to skip s, b, r for it), but the stretching that takes place is awesome.

I am definitely not a runner   I was reminiscing on a run with my friend last night, actually.  We met online through a diet web site and discovered we worked across the street from each other.  We met up for a run nearly four years ago and it was the first time I had run more than 2 miles and she had done about 3.  In the years since we've both done a few half marathons, countless other races, and we are doing the same half ironman together.  It's amazing to look back...  There was a LONG time when I said I could never imagine doing the HIM because of the half marathon at the end. 

I also was a total swim newbie.  Like, couldn't really swim a single length and practiced putting my face in the water and turning to breathe standing in the shallow end. 

The only thing I had going for me was the bike, hence the creation of "BikerGrrrl" when I joined BT in '06.   The longest ride so far is about 70 miles, but I am hoping to do my first century this summer.

(Sorry about the spelling.  I  am using a computer that doesn't have the spelling software installed and I am tying to type fast.  I am leaving my home soon for an all day conference, so I willl be out of touch.)

Okay - who is racing this weekend?  I am doing a duathlon relay (biker, duh) tomorrow. 

2010-05-14 11:21 AM

i'm going out of town for the weekend - i probably won't get any training in, although i'm short one run this week.

good luck to any racers we've got out there

ps - steve totally jealous of your old 9 mm.  i'm an 11 kinda girl.

2010-05-15 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I did my practice tri this morning...  felt very, very slow...  

OWS was terrible, started out fast, was in front of the pack, and then I came up to spot, I had a mouth full of water.  Started losing confidence since I was out front, so I was not swimming smooth, or breathing well....

Biking was slow feeling, speed-o-meter was showing between 8-10 MPH most of the time, I was wondering if it was broken.

Run/Walk/Walk/Walk...  was slow could not run more than about 10 paces before I felt like walking...  

I think I have way too many negative thoughts running thru my mind, that it makes it painful and not a joy....

Still getting side pains, so I took 2 pain pills after I finished..

So .3 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 2 mile walk - Total time about 2:10, since I forgot my watch, so I could not get any splits.

Hope everyone is having a great week-end..... 
2010-05-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2860587

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Steve - thanks for sharing your day with us, even though it wasn't joyful.  I really think that the mental aspect of this crazy hobby is as important as swim-bike-run.  I have ridden the highest highs and lowest lows during training and races.  I know it really hard to imagine the highs when it's not going well. 

I wish I had some fantastic advice, but it's definitely a personal thing.  So, just hang in there and I hope you can find the joy in this soon!  What you did today and is something that a LOT of folks couldn't ever imagine doing, even if they spent all day (or week!) at it.   That is a victory.

2010-05-16 4:45 PM

Hey guys,
Just to let you know, I will be out of town all of next week. And unbelievably, I will not be online at all....not even checking my email . I will be 100% technology free. I won't be able to swim or bike, but I hope to get in 4 runs.

Have a great week all.

Lauren

2010-05-17 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2861786

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Fun I hope?  Have a great time!

(Or, hope you had a great time, if you don't see this until later)

LaurenCO - 2010-05-16 4:45 PM

Hey guys,
Just to let you know, I will be out of town all of next week. And unbelievably, I will not be online at all....not even checking my email . I will be 100% technology free. I won't be able to swim or bike, but I hope to get in 4 runs.

Have a great week all.

Lauren

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20