General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-01-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by spie34

Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by soretaint ..... However, I will likely do a local 70.3 up here in Spokane on May 31st. It's only 4 weeks out from IMCDA, but shouldn't be an issue as long as I treat it like a training day and not a race.

Thanks soretaint for drawing my attention to the Troika race.  I've been trying to decide between a 70.3 in Oliver and a 180km training ride on the IMCDA bike course (without requiring 2 weekends away from the family).  Maybe I can do both if I do Troika instead of Oliver

The thing with Troika is it can be hot or it can cold. I thought about doing troika but after this last year with sub 50 degree weather I think I will pass. I am more of a fair weather racer

They moved Troika to the last Saturday in May instead of mid-May like it was this last year. Hopefully it will make a difference in the weather.....

2014-01-26 5:19 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Chicago
Glad to hear I'm not the only knucklehead doing a half IM in late May!

Speaking of knucklehead moves - had a half marathon yesterday...certainly broke the "only increase runs by 10% week over week" rule but it felt dam good.
2014-01-26 5:34 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Glad to hear I'm not the only knucklehead doing a half IM in late May!

Speaking of knucklehead moves - had a half marathon yesterday...certainly broke the "only increase runs by 10% week over week" rule but it felt dam good.

Nice, plenty of time to recover. Most of us are not in the Kona mix so we might as well do what we want while we can.

I'm doing a half a month before IMTX which is 6 weeks before CDA. BT Knuckleheads shirts would look pretty cool
2014-01-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Well, I think I might have gone overboard on my recovery week. Between work, feeling sick, and other life events, did basically nothing except a few runs. Back at it this week.
2014-01-27 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Well, I think I might have gone overboard on my recovery week. Between work, feeling sick, and other life events, did basically nothing except a few runs. Back at it this week.
2014-01-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Chicago
bah, you'll be fine! Sounds like you probably needed some down time. Who knows what would have happened if you would have pushed too hard anyhow..might have ultimately been laid up extending the down time even further. Just sounds like you've got your priorities straight and did the smart thing IMO.

Enjoy those fresh legs while you can!

2014-01-27 11:36 AM

User image

Chicago
Good idea regarding the Knucklehead tshirts..after 36 years of being one myself feel it would be very appropriate.

Saw your signature - 4 IM's this year? Go ahead and put yourself down for 2 Knucklehead tshirts!
2014-01-27 1:02 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Good idea regarding the Knucklehead tshirts..after 36 years of being one myself feel it would be very appropriate.

Saw your signature - 4 IM's this year? Go ahead and put yourself down for 2 Knucklehead tshirts!

I like the Knucklehead shirt idea too! I'm also doing a HIM a month out as well.
2014-01-31 10:22 AM
in reply to: Champ88

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
I've decided to change up the gearing on my bike and switch out my standard crankset (53/39) for a compact crankset (50/34) to help with the riding the hills in CDA. In investigating cranksets I am trying to figure what crank arm length to go with. There are alot of varying opinions out there. What is everyones opinion on crank arm length? I'm thinking of going with a shorter crank arm (165cm) instead of the 175 cm that I have now. Does it make much of a difference?
2014-01-31 11:20 AM
in reply to: mb1530

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by mb1530

I've decided to change up the gearing on my bike and switch out my standard crankset (53/39) for a compact crankset (50/34) to help with the riding the hills in CDA. In investigating cranksets I am trying to figure what crank arm length to go with. There are alot of varying opinions out there. What is everyones opinion on crank arm length? I'm thinking of going with a shorter crank arm (165cm) instead of the 175 cm that I have now. Does it make much of a difference?

Perhaps I'm wrong in this, but I thought part of crank arm length had to do with your bike fit. I know there is debate on that and I'd be curious to hear responses to this as well.
2014-01-31 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

Crank arm length will impact your bike fit. From what I've read, many fitters recommend going with shorter crank arms for tri bikes to allow for a better fit, I think it allows you get to get lower without closing off the hip angle. It looks like manufacturers are starting to spec shorter arms as well. But, if you are currently fit to your bike with a 175 crank arm, you would likely need a new fit to go with the 165.

I'm curious as to why you want to go with the shorter crank arms, and why you think the 165s are right for you?

2014-01-31 4:44 PM

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
Originally posted by kmac1346

Crank arm length will impact your bike fit. From what I've read, many fitters recommend going with shorter crank arms for tri bikes to allow for a better fit, I think it allows you get to get lower without closing off the hip angle. It looks like manufacturers are starting to spec shorter arms as well. But, if you are currently fit to your bike with a 175 crank arm, you would likely need a new fit to go with the 165.

I'm curious as to why you want to go with the shorter crank arms, and why you think the 165s are right for you?

I've read some information that talks about the benefits of shorter crank arms, like less fatigue, less stress on the lower back and knees. In looking at new cranksets there were some good deals on cranksets with 165 mm crank arms and wondered if it would be a good move for me. I don't have long legs and I am not real happy with the current fit of my bike so I figured now is the time to switch.
2014-01-31 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

Originally posted by kmac1346

I've read some information that talks about the benefits of shorter crank arms, like less fatigue, less stress on the lower back and knees. In looking at new cranksets there were some good deals on cranksets with 165 mm crank arms and wondered if it would be a good move for me. I don't have long legs and I am not real happy with the current fit of my bike so I figured now is the time to switch.

I think that is a pretty big jump. I know this isn't super helpful, but it really is hard to know whether that will be "right" for you as there are so many variables. Can you get a fit before making the decision? That would give some more info to consider.
2014-02-03 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I think I jinxed myself last week. Now, hopefully today I'll be back at it. Spent all last week really sick, so all told, its been almost two weeks of very reduced activity. The first week was more or less an intentional cut back week, but last week was just a lost week. Now, to slowly build back into it. Resist temptation to make it all up in one go!
2014-02-03 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by kmac1346 I think I jinxed myself last week. Now, hopefully today I'll be back at it. Spent all last week really sick, so all told, its been almost two weeks of very reduced activity. The first week was more or less an intentional cut back week, but last week was just a lost week. Now, to slowly build back into it. Resist temptation to make it all up in one go!

My personal philosophy is to not schedule any cut back weeks.  I just wait for family, work and health to dictate when I get a rest from training.  

2014-02-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by kmac1346 I think I jinxed myself last week. Now, hopefully today I'll be back at it. Spent all last week really sick, so all told, its been almost two weeks of very reduced activity. The first week was more or less an intentional cut back week, but last week was just a lost week. Now, to slowly build back into it. Resist temptation to make it all up in one go!

My personal philosophy is to not schedule any cut back weeks.  I just wait for family, work and health to dictate when I get a rest from training.  

There is some merit to that. For whatever reason, it seems a bunch of life stuff will come up the week immediately after a cut back week and throw the schedule out the window.

2014-02-03 5:15 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Hello, all! Just registered. Reformed marathoner, and first IM. Only other "long-distance" experience is Boise 70.3 in 2012, when they shortened the bike due to weather.

Looking forward to catching up, learning from you all, and participating!
2014-02-03 5:42 PM
in reply to: rbhancock1

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by rbhancock1

Hello, all! Just registered. Reformed marathoner, and first IM. Only other "long-distance" experience is Boise 70.3 in 2012, when they shortened the bike due to weather.

Welcome, welcome!

I did that Boise race. That was interesting to say the least. Its that experience I always go back to whenever someone describes a swim start as "cold."
2014-02-03 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Welcome aboard!
2014-02-03 11:04 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
20 Week IM training plan starts next week... now to figure out what plan. I guess offseason training is officially over this week. This is kind of sneaking up on me. Hope everyone gets their plans nailed down this week 8).
2014-02-04 11:21 AM

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington

Welcome aboard. I remember reading about that Boise race. I was worried that the CDA Ironman that year would have the same crappy weather, thankfully it didn't. Let's hope this years weather is good. If it doesn't we will blame you.

2014-02-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
Originally posted by Baowolf

20 Week IM training plan starts next week... now to figure out what plan. I guess offseason training is officially over this week. This is kind of sneaking up on me. Hope everyone gets their plans nailed down this week 8).

I'm following the Competitive IronFit Training plan. Been at it for 10 weeks now (base building phase). Now the hard work really begins. Good luck.
2014-02-04 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Originally posted by Baowolf

I'm following the Competitive IronFit Training plan. Been at it for 10 weeks now (base building phase). Now the hard work really begins. Good luck.

I've been "following" that as well while trying to enjoy some other cross training. Next week starts the buckle down! Here we go!
2014-02-04 12:03 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Welcome aboard!

I am just doing the opposite this year. I did CDA IM last year and will be doing Boise 70.3 this June. I am from North Idaho, so cold water does not bother me, but the HEAT does. Last year Boise had almost 90degrees for the Run....is that a normal temp for June?
2014-02-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Many thanks for the warm welcome, all.

Swam this a.m., and for the first time in recent memory didn't feel like falling over after exiting the pool. Three workouts per week instead of two seems to be improving things.

Good ones to all today.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139184 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384026 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135236 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3683 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61741 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.