BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-06-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3565514

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

velcromom - 2011-06-24 7:54 AM Jeez, Kim!   The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the air is calm - go OUTSIDE!!!    Cool

Aw, Linda, now don't make me feel bad!  For me to accomplish what I needed to do this morning, I would have had to bike 30 minutes away with a whole bunch of stoplights, etc...my one hour bike would have turned into a 2 hour bike and I just don't have that kind of time with all the other stuff (groceries,walk dog, fold laundry)  I have to do before work...which includes sitting down to breakfast and having a conversation with my S.O.

IM training has been all about maintaining balance...ran 2 hours before work yesterday (outside, thank goodness...I never do TM, that would actually ADD time!), worked 9 hours, went to swim which door to door is 2 more hours and sat down to dinner at 9pm...and then spent an hour with S.O. before falling asleep mid sentence.

Not to go on and on, but you see, I'm just trying to fit everything in without causing too much disruption and some weeks are harder than others.  If I had that nice route you have 5 minutes away, I'd probably be all over that!  This weekend, a 5 hour outdoor ride will probably feel that much better because I'm really looking forward to seeing and smelling the great outdoors!

To answer Tony, I was trying to save the course to upload to Training Peaks, but I guess we can't do that without finishing the course?  I thought I was able to do that last year by pressing one of the keyboard letters.  I'll go online and ask.

Ryan, I love what you wrote and will remember that...it sure helped for me to do that on my last few bricks and even on the OLY. 

Suzy, are you running a 53-39 with that 12-27?  Wow.  I don't think I could make it up my hills with a standard big ring.  I have a 50-34 on my bike with 11-28 and I like it alot. 

Have a nice Friday, peeps!

2011-06-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3565806

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kt65 - 2011-06-24 12:48 PM

velcromom - 2011-06-24 7:54 AM Jeez, Kim!   The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the air is calm - go OUTSIDE!!!    Cool

Aw, Linda, now don't make me feel bad!  For me to accomplish what I needed to do this morning, I would have had to bike 30 minutes away with a whole bunch of stoplights, etc...my one hour bike would have turned into a 2 hour bike and I just don't have that kind of time with all the other stuff (groceries,walk dog, fold laundry)  I have to do before work...which includes sitting down to breakfast and having a conversation with my S.O.

IM training has been all about maintaining balance...ran 2 hours before work yesterday (outside, thank goodness...I never do TM, that would actually ADD time!), worked 9 hours, went to swim which door to door is 2 more hours and sat down to dinner at 9pm...and then spent an hour with S.O. before falling asleep mid sentence.

Not to go on and on, but you see, I'm just trying to fit everything in without causing too much disruption and some weeks are harder than others.  If I had that nice route you have 5 minutes away, I'd probably be all over that!  This weekend, a 5 hour outdoor ride will probably feel that much better because I'm really looking forward to seeing and smelling the great outdoors!

To answer Tony, I was trying to save the course to upload to Training Peaks, but I guess we can't do that without finishing the course?  I thought I was able to do that last year by pressing one of the keyboard letters.  I'll go online and ask.

Ryan, I love what you wrote and will remember that...it sure helped for me to do that on my last few bricks and even on the OLY. 

Suzy, are you running a 53-39 with that 12-27?  Wow.  I don't think I could make it up my hills with a standard big ring.  I have a 50-34 on my bike with 11-28 and I like it alot. 

Go to the 3d software directory on your computer.  Under there is a folder I believe called RiderPerfs (or maybe that's the directory in the coaching software) it could also be called data, there aren't many sub-directories under the 3d software so it should be easy to find.

Look for the performance file from todays ride, if you stopped and hit F1 to save data it should be there.  It's usually labeled lastperf.3df or it also uses the name of the course you rode.3df.

Then you need to go into the coaching software and export the file to a .txt file, usually the ride file is too big to import without removing some of the data which is what the export function does.  After that you can upload to TP.

2011-06-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3565767

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-06-24 9:33 AM
swbkrun - 2011-06-24 9:12 AM

Dang Kyla

Ironman CDA Water Temperature Sits At 56 Degrees Fahrenheit

Updated: Jun 24th 2011 12:45 AM UTC by Hunter Reed

On Sunday, June 26 athletes will take on Ironman Coeur D’alene in Idaho. As many competitors start to gather their last minute items, one thing that seems to be on everyone’s mind is ‘how cold is the lake going to be this year?’The water temperature at Coeur d’Alene Lake is currently 56.3 F. Below is a link to a site that is updated daily to help you decide if you need to pack that extra swim cap.

NO S#!#!!!!! Just swam in it!! Rumor has it the temp was close to 60 yesterday, but down to 56 today. A (seasoned triathlete) friend speculated that they opened up the dam yesterday that lets in the fresh snow run-off. I will say, it was, um, chilly. Choppy, too -- much more fun to swim with the wind than against it! We are hoping to gain a degree or two by tomorrow. But really, it wasn't awful. I'd say it took me about 5 minutes for my face to stop hurting. Speech was a little impaired when I finished, and hand/foot mobility a little limited. Nothing that a 112-mile bike ride can't fix!!

We are lucky to have these opportunities. These gifts. These dreams and desires. I'm not gonna let a little cold water rain in my parade!!!!!!!!

Awesome!  Hope it warms up just a little...we want a nice cool(ish) day for you on Sunday!

Speaking of limited foot mobility...ever since that swim in 55F i did on Monday, my feet have been hurting like crazy when walking in the morning cold (50 degrees).  it's like my frostbite from my 2 years in Alaska is back!  can that happen?

2011-06-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3565806

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2011-06-24 11:48 AM

Yep, I don't really understand the benefits of differences in the front rings, but Brett did some math on an 11/28 vs 12/27 and said for me and the area I ride the 12/27 was better and had less overlap.   I am guessing SF hills must be great than the area I ride in. Course, it doesn't matter if you're inside Foot in mouth!!

On the topic of inside versus outside, I see advantages to each.   Kim raises a legitimate point.  I am able to roll out my front door, but between stop lights et al it always seems to add a useless 20-30'.  For me, I have seen a pretty big benefit to being outside this year more than last.   I am beginnig to learn how to push a certain zone more consistently and handle my bike better.  I am thankful to have a CT when the weather blows though!!

Kim, you can save a file midway through it.  If you hit the stop button a pop up comes up and asks you if you want to save the file and then save the report.  I usually don't and just use my JOULE to upload to TP, but did do it a few weeks ago. 

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-06-24 1:52 PM
2011-06-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3566077

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-06-24 11:51 AM

Yep, I don't really understand the benefits of differences in the front rings, but Brett did some math on an 11/28 vs 12/27 and said for me and the area I ride the 12/27 was better and had less overlap.   I am guessing SF hills must be great than the area I ride in. Course, it doesn't matter if you're inside Foot in mouth!!

On the topic of inside versus outside, I see advantages to each.   Kim raises a legitimate point.  I am able to roll out my front door, but between stop lights et al it always seems to add a useless 20-30'.  For me, I have seen a pretty big benefit to being outside this year more than last.   I am beginnig to learn how to push a certain zone more consistently and handle my bike better.  I am thankful to have a CT when the weather blows though!!

Kim, you can save a file midway through it.  If you hit the stop button a pop up comes up and asks you if you want to save the file and then save the report.  I usually don't and just use my JOULE to upload to TP, but did do it a few weeks ago. 

when you say hit the stop button, which button is that?  the F1 just pauses it.  a prompt does not come up to "save rider performance?"

2011-06-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3566171

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-06-24 3:46 PM

when you say hit the stop button, which button is that?  the F1 just pauses it.  a prompt does not come up to "save rider performance?"

Sorry it's the reset button, the orange one.  that brings up the menu prompt.

2011-06-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3565525

User image

Champion
velcromom - 2011-06-24 10:58 AM
dalessit - 2011-06-24 7:18 AM
velcromom - 2011-06-23 11:14 PM

Home from the wonderful, quick trip to the PNW.  I think I brought the good weather!

Kyla - can't WAIT to track you.  Sent you an e-mail with the IM essay.

Sam - concussions?  We're pros, here.    Here's a link to the article about my daughter.  Don't mess with it, really.  Second-hit syndrome is real.  http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/Concussions_090407

Roni - so sorry about your sister.  Sending prayers.

Ryan - WHERE WERE YOU?!?

Laundry - I do it, all.  About 568 loads a week.  Laundry is  going EVERY DAY, so stinky stuff doesn't wait long.  It's lazy of me, but I do throw the clothes into the dryer, too.  When they're really stinky, I throw some Borax into the wash.  My count will go way down this summer, when kid #1 and kid #2 move out.

Side note, anybody have experience with Zipps and Specialized Transition?  First try, they don't fit.

I hadn't heard of anyone with issues Linda.  I went over to ST and there were specific posts where people talk about using 404's in a transition.  The only ones I saw about having issues were with a wheelcover.  Where is it not fitting?

The front wheel won't slid in between the brakes.  the brake release is different than my other bike, or Jeff's, and we're scratching our heads on this one.  I'm sure it's just  a 'duh' thing, but I can't see it.

Linda I just looked at Sam's bike.

So you have the cable coming down to the triangle shaped thing and 2 little arms that come out of that triangle thing and attach to either side of the brakes.

If you're standing in front of the bike, push the brake pads together and the right side arm has a little hook that should pop out so the brake can open all the way.   

Let me know if you need me to take a picture to show you.

2011-06-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3565553

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2011-06-24 11:09 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-24 8:06 AM

velcromom - 2011-06-24 10:54 AM Jeez, Kim!   The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the air is calm - go OUTSIDE!!!    Cool

especially since she has wheels that actually work with her bike.    HA!

Nice, John.   My old ones - which, btw are only 3 months old & work just fine, are still attached!!   Tomorrow's long bike day (remember those?)  We'll just have to wait and see which wheels make the trip!!

:-)!!!!       and yes, I vaguely remember those! 

2011-06-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3565202

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-24 4:52 AM

kt65 - 2011-06-23 1:14 PM  I love my Sirius xm radio!

classic vinyl, coffee house, margaritaville (i can't believe i like that guy now), backspin!!! & hair nation (HA!).   others are mixed in but those are the main ones.

you?

we have it in the house as well.

Radio Disney, Elvis and Liquid Metal, oh and Pearl Jam...

what?

actually those are kathy's favorites, I like Coffeehouse, Margaritaville (yeah, i can't believe i listen to that either!!!), The Joint (love), Country Pride (i can only listen when alone in the car), BBC radio...LOVE the british accents and fun they have...80's on 8, oh, the list goes on...

2011-06-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3566186

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
dalessit - 2011-06-24 12:55 PM
velcromom - 2011-06-24 10:58 AM
dalessit - 2011-06-24 7:18 AM
velcromom - 2011-06-23 11:14 PM

Home from the wonderful, quick trip to the PNW.  I think I brought the good weather!

Kyla - can't WAIT to track you.  Sent you an e-mail with the IM essay.

Sam - concussions?  We're pros, here.    Here's a link to the article about my daughter.  Don't mess with it, really.  Second-hit syndrome is real.  http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/Concussions_090407

Roni - so sorry about your sister.  Sending prayers.

Ryan - WHERE WERE YOU?!?

Laundry - I do it, all.  About 568 loads a week.  Laundry is  going EVERY DAY, so stinky stuff doesn't wait long.  It's lazy of me, but I do throw the clothes into the dryer, too.  When they're really stinky, I throw some Borax into the wash.  My count will go way down this summer, when kid #1 and kid #2 move out.

Side note, anybody have experience with Zipps and Specialized Transition?  First try, they don't fit.

I hadn't heard of anyone with issues Linda.  I went over to ST and there were specific posts where people talk about using 404's in a transition.  The only ones I saw about having issues were with a wheelcover.  Where is it not fitting?

The front wheel won't slid in between the brakes.  the brake release is different than my other bike, or Jeff's, and we're scratching our heads on this one.  I'm sure it's just  a 'duh' thing, but I can't see it.

Linda I just looked at Sam's bike.

So you have the cable coming down to the triangle shaped thing and 2 little arms that come out of that triangle thing and attach to either side of the brakes.

If you're standing in front of the bike, push the brake pads together and the right side arm has a little hook that should pop out so the brake can open all the way.   

Let me know if you need me to take a picture to show you.

I got it - thanks!!!  I took it and had the mechanic walk me through it.  Glad I did, the cable had to be adjusted a bit more than usual, the brakes were alredy snug, and the wheels are a bit wider.  Everyone was drooling over the bike and wheels at the store I can't wait to get on it tomorrow!

2011-06-24 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Good luck to all the racers this weekend!  Race hard and travel safe!

2011-06-24 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Yeah but Linda, what does your pulse rate go up to when YOU look at your bike?!
2011-06-24 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3565452

User image

Master

FYI... I rented a myathlete gps for my family, so you guys can benefit too. The site to track me is

http://track.myathletelive.com/VEmap.aspx?name=380357

Hopefully it'll all work on race day!

Later, peeps!

2011-06-25 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3565356

User image

Expert
Noosa
badgerintx - 2011-06-24 11:39 PM

DougRob - 2011-06-24 8:04 AM 1st Wave, E Street, Little Steven's Underground Garage, Coffee House, Classic Vinyl, 60's, Pulse.

Showing your age Doug!?!?!   Laughing 

So I am sharing the lane with another regular at the pool this AM (we seem to swim together at least 2 times a week) and we start talking between sets, which is unusual for her.  I always knew she was a competitive OW swimmer because she will throw me a tip every know and then, but she starts telling me about her 25K OWS race the previous weekend.  I'll be honest that I didn't really hear a lot of what she said after that because I couldn't get past the 25k part ......  I am doing the math in my head thinking that's over 15 miles ..... SWIMMING?

And I always thought the triathlete group was a little off center!

15 miles ......  swimming  .......  all at the same time .......  Really?  Copa####, are you familiar with this insanity?   

The biggest ocean swim I'm aware of here is the Rottnest Channel Swim near Perth. It's 19.7km across open ocean in Great White territory and you have to do a 10km test swim first in under 4hrs 15mins.... can't see ever being tempted!

http://www.rottnestchannelswim.com.au/content/2012-rottnest-channel-swim

2011-06-25 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3566639

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
kkcbelle - 2011-06-24 10:56 PM

FYI... I rented a myathlete gps for my family, so you guys can benefit too. The site to track me is

http://track.myathletelive.com/VEmap.aspx?name=380357

Hopefully it'll all work on race day!

Later, peeps!

So cool! Good Luck. Have a great time. And I'll be tracking you.- Tiana
2011-06-25 12:27 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

GO KYLA!!!!! Just been looking at your logs, your training looks great, looking forward to hearing what a great day you have!

Anyone know much about Rotor Q-Rings? A friend of mine's telling me to get them when I upgrade to a carbon bike, he's done 9 IM's including Kona and says these were what allowed him to continue racing when he started getting lateral knee pain. There's a good video about them here: http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/

2011-06-25 4:15 AM

User image

Champion

And so it begins, getting up at 3:45am to get ready for my first 100m ride of the build-up...sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself....and then I remember, it's cause I love it! Mostly. Testing out a slightly increased nutritional strategy today.  Off I go!!!

Have a great time racing peeps and report back promptly! 

PS. Kyla, I saw some photos of your swim start....beautiful, but looked very, very cold!!!

2011-06-25 4:16 AM
in reply to: #3566178

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2011-06-24 2:51 PM
kt65 - 2011-06-24 3:46 PM

Sorry it's the reset button, the orange one.  that brings up the menu prompt.

On my unit it says STOP at the top!  That's the button I use.

2011-06-25 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
Suzy, are you the one that sent me the race calorie calculator spreadsheet?  Looked through my e-mail and couldn't find it.

Edited by dalessit 2011-06-25 7:34 AM
2011-06-25 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3565541

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Tobey91 - 2011-06-24 10:06 AM

velcromom - 2011-06-24 10:54 AM Jeez, Kim!   The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the air is calm - go OUTSIDE!!!    Cool

I think she must have drunk the latest Velo SF kool-aid about riding indoors:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/06/training/the-endangered-outdoor-ride_31264

What are peoples' views on this trend?  I, for one, would go crazy.  I love the outdoor rides, even though I know that I could probably get a better workout inside.  For example when I am outside I know (looking at my TP data) that about 16%-18% of the time I am not pedaling at all and therefore producing zero power because I am stopped at a light or going down hill too fast to pedal or whatever.  Although that would be eliminated on indoor rides, I could not stand it.

Others' reactions?

Thanks for posting that article.  Makes me fell better about all my indoor training.  In the last couple of months I have had to move almost exclusively to indoor training because of the danger situation where I am living at the lake. 

2011-06-25 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3566821

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2011-06-25 11:08 AM

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/06/training/the-endangered-outdoor-ride_31264

What are peoples' views on this trend?  I, for one, would go crazy.  I love the outdoor rides, even though I know that I could probably get a better workout inside.  For example when I am outside I know (looking at my TP data) that about 16%-18% of the time I am not pedaling at all and therefore producing zero power because I am stopped at a light or going down hill too fast to pedal or whatever.  Although that would be eliminated on indoor rides, I could not stand it.

Others' reactions?

Thanks for posting that article.  Makes me fell better about all my indoor training.  In the last couple of months I have had to move almost exclusively to indoor training because of the danger situation where I am living at the lake. 

Don't I know you from somewhere?

2011-06-25 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3566868

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2011-06-25 11:15 AM
Plainsman AU - 2011-06-25 11:08 AM

Others' reactions?

Don't I know you from somewhere?

Just a lurker.  lol

2011-06-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3566736

User image

Champion

dalessit - 2011-06-25 7:34 AM Suzy, are you the one that sent me the race calorie calculator spreadsheet?  Looked through my e-mail and couldn't find it.

I do have one for cycling and one for running....let me locate and I'll email them to you!!!  Off to shower....a very necessary activity after a 103 mile ride!

2011-06-25 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3567020

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-06-25 1:14 PM

dalessit - 2011-06-25 7:34 AM Suzy, are you the one that sent me the race calorie calculator spreadsheet?  Looked through my e-mail and couldn't find it.

I do have one for cycling and one for running....let me locate and I'll email them to you!!!  Off to shower....a very necessary activity after a 103 mile ride!

Nice Ride, Suzy!!!  Those showers are the best. 

Thanks for the response on the "Stop" button, my controller must be old school, no stop button, it does however have the "reset" button that Tony mentioned.  Thanks Tony! 

2011-06-25 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3566491

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

DougRob - 2011-06-24 5:39 PM Yeah but Linda, what does your pulse rate go up to when YOU look at your bike?!

GOOD point!!   way too high.  Cool

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298