Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2010-12-26 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3262287

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Yes, Tony, I have HBP.  Its currently well-maintained through meds with no side effects.  Mine comes through a combination of genetics, bad eating habits, carrying too much weight and the small amount of stress that comes with being a trial attorney.  And yes caffeine does affect your BP.   But as John pointed out, the main cause may be hereditary.  You are definitely headed in the right direction going to see (and talk with) a real doctor about it.  

I try to stay away from minute clinics or "doc in a box" as I call them.  A couple years back, I went to one at Disney for a stomach virus and he tried to rush me to the emergency room to have my gall bladder removed.  I eventually argued my way to some nausea meds and was back riding roller coasters the next day.  So here's hoping your BP is just fine tomorrow.

2010-12-26 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3262268

User image

DougRob - 2010-12-26 9:08 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-26 8:32 PM
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-26 7:16 PM I am giving serious consideration to the REV 3 Knoxville.

So far ... who is in from the MG?

Tony
Sam
Suzy
John
Tracy
Dave/Dineen/Dino (split personality?)
Doug (still a maybe?)
Chris (based on his hectic pro golf schedule )
Linda (Havin' Fun Linda...)
Julia

Did I miss anyone? feel free to jump on the fun wagon!

I will be deferring until 2012. First my PT said "No" and 2nd I have to run the annual meeting of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. on 5/15. (Darn Events director scheduled the meeting without consulting the rest of the Board of Directors!),

Doug

I will be there. Now I know the kids I can survive a 9-hour car ride! 
2010-12-27 1:02 AM
in reply to: #3262383

User image

OK, all caught up! It's great to hear from all the new folks. It looks like more than one of you could give Fatty and Trev a run for their money in the smack talk department!

Here's mine:

Name et al: Julia (2nd round with the MG)

Background:
 I grew up swimming, burned out my senior year in HS, but stayed active through college by riding my bike a bunch in the East Bay hills, then switched to running after that. I ran on and off for fitness and ran a few races over the years. I decided to give triathlon a try after I got injured training for a marathon and got back in the pool for the first time in many many years. I ran my first sprint in June '09 and loved every minute of it. 

Family Status:
 Married to Jeff for 11 years, 2 kids (7 and 5), 1 dog (my favorite running partner) and 1 grouchy old cat.

'10 Races: a couple of sprints and an Oly, a bunch of running races.

'11 Races:
  so far I've got REV 3 Knoxville (my first HIM, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the peeps from the MG), Muncie 70.3, and then Danskin in Seattle with my mom! I'm sure I'll add some sprints and running races.

What makes me a good part of this group
: I don't post a lot, but I try to be positive and supportive. I'll add my 2 cents when I think I can help. I'm out of battery power so that'll have to do!

2010-12-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3262327

Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 9:12 PM
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-26 10:07 PM

Can the group provide me with some experienced feedback? What equipment will I NEED for the pool? I just want to make sure that I am not spending cash on equipment that is "optional".

jammer.  here.   goggles. here.    that's all you NEED.

eventually if you want to get a pull buoy and fins so be it. 

Does anyone make a Jammer for a 44-46 waist?
2010-12-27 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3262514

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I think Sam and John still need a biker if anyone wants to do the HIM as a relay.  John was going to swim and Sam is running.
2010-12-27 7:41 AM

User image

New user
Ottawa
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 10:12 PM

Can the group provide me with some experienced feedback? What equipment will I NEED for the pool? I just want to make sure that I am not spending cash on equipment that is "optional".

I agree.  I just started swimming in May 2010 and all I had was a pair of goggles and a swimsuit.  Now that I've done a few triathlons and am registered for a half and a full Ironman... I took swimming into consideration when I purchased my training HRM GPS watch.  I got the Timex Global Trainer which can be used in the pool to count and my time laps... but that is most certainly "optional"... I'm considering taking lessons.  That might be a useful investment but it doesn't really count as equipment.

2010-12-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3262235

User image

New user
Ottawa
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-26 7:16 PM I am giving serious consideration to the REV 3 Knoxville.

Tony
Sam
Suzy
John
Tracy
Doug (still a maybe?)

Is it in March?  I'm looking for an oly somewhere warm in March. 
2010-12-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3262529

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Anne! - 2010-12-27 7:46 AM

Tony
Sam
Suzy
John
Tracy
Doug (still a maybe?)

Is it in March?  I'm looking for an oly somewhere warm in March. 

May 15, 2011.
2010-12-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3262316

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 7:03 PM
dalessit - 2010-12-26 9:39 PM
fowlmood - 2010-12-26 9:29 PM Well had a great Christmas in Denver with my family. For the most part was able to maintain my training program while I was up there with a few tweaks. Thursday I got my run in at lunch before we left for Denver then that night was able to swim at 24hr Fitness. Friday got in my bike ride and then swam that afternoon since everything was closed on Saturday so I had back to back days of swimming could feel it then ran on Saturday Even though it was only a couple of thousand feet higher in altitude I could feel it still was pleased with the time and pace.

They only day I missed was my long bike 25mile since we were traveling today and didn't get back until dark.

Question:
Mondays are my rest days should I try and make up some of those miles on Monday or just maintain it as a rest day?

If you have a scheduled recovery day, recover.  I tend to go back and forth between active recovery and complete do nothing recovery.  Currently doing active recovery which tends to be a 30-45 minute spin on the trainer with almost 0 tension just to get the legs moving.

x2.  and  i don't like the term "make up".  let it go,  not only for your body but the mind as well.

edit... AWESOME job maintaining the workouts!!!!

Just catching up here... I like that you wrote this, John. Although I am one of those people who has a really, really hard time giving up ANY workout in a training plan. I'm a bit too OCD on that front, but I hope to embrace being able to let it go a bit in the future. For me, the bigger the workout, the harder to let it go. Recovery swim? Meh... yeah, I can drop one of those without too much agony. But a long bike ride? I'm all about finding a way to squeeze it in. Need to work on my flexibility there. So help keep me in line, OK? (I know, I know, you thought I'd never ask...)
2010-12-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3262525

User image

Jersey
Anne! - 2010-12-27 8:41 AM

I agree.  I just started swimming in May 2010 and all I had was a pair of goggles and a swimsuit.  Now that I've done a few triathlons and am registered for a half and a full Ironman... I took swimming into consideration when I purchased my training HRM GPS watch.  I got the Timex Global Trainer which can be used in the pool to count and my time laps... but that is most certainly "optional"... I'm considering taking lessons.  That might be a useful investment but it doesn't really count as equipment.

I actually have the Suunto t6d but I didnt get the swimming HRM yet. I am thinking of getting it, but I think I need to learn to turn some laps before I satrt to analyze everything.
2010-12-27 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3262426

User image

Master
gotta run - 2010-12-26 11:02 PM OK, all caught up! It's great to hear from all the new folks. It looks like more than one of you could give Fatty and Trev a run for their money in the smack talk department!

Here's mine:

Name et al: Julia (2nd round with the MG)

Background:
 I grew up swimming, burned out my senior year in HS, but stayed active through college by riding my bike a bunch in the East Bay hills, then switched to running after that. I ran on and off for fitness and ran a few races over the years. I decided to give triathlon a try after I got injured training for a marathon and got back in the pool for the first time in many many years. I ran my first sprint in June '09 and loved every minute of it. 

Family Status:
 Married to Jeff for 11 years, 2 kids (7 and 5), 1 dog (my favorite running partner) and 1 grouchy old cat.

'10 Races: a couple of sprints and an Oly, a bunch of running races.

'11 Races:
  so far I've got REV 3 Knoxville (my first HIM, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the peeps from the MG), Muncie 70.3, and then Danskin in Seattle with my mom! I'm sure I'll add some sprints and running races.

What makes me a good part of this group
: I don't post a lot, but I try to be positive and supportive. I'll add my 2 cents when I think I can help. I'm out of battery power so that'll have to do!

Ooooh, yay yay yay!!! How fun!! Are you guys already registered? It fills up fast. I've never done Danskin -- too big and too much of a logistical nightmare for me for a sprint, but I have MANY friends who have done it. I've so loved watching their journeys and seeing how much it has empowered them. You must keep me posted on that and let me know if I can help out at all when you're here! Wheee!!! VERY awesome for your mom! Will this be her first? Are you going to help her train from afar?

2010-12-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3262175

User image

Master
Sin City
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 4:19 PM
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-26 6:19 PM
gotta run - 2010-12-26 2:33 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 5:32 PM
gotta run - 2010-12-26 5:25 PM Uh oh. I've been on a road trip and missed the MG move. Can I please come back??

depends.

I'm not going to ask the conditions.

ETA: but I do promise to read all the pages I've missed and post my bio tonight. 

LOL!  - When I asked the same thing that I missed the MG move as well, only to be confronted in big caps "CLOSED". So I asked, no one said anything so I decided to be rude and just bug in and invite myself. Posted my bio, no one didn't seem to notice....not even Fatty. *hmmm*

Welcome back! 

no no.  we all noticed.  you knew the rules, old members always welcome.   glad you were rude!  ;-)

edit.  cool the rd hooked you up.  what kind of race???

Run - Asbury Park Polar Bear Run. They had 3 options - 10 mile walk, 5 mile walk, and 5 mile run. Then a chance to dip in the ocean afterwards. They reduced the distance to 3 mile run. I'm glad to postpone it to next year. To me, I would think it's SO not worth driving for 2+ hours just for a 3 mile run. LOL!   110 people finished and 20 took the plunge!

2010-12-27 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Sin City
Tony - I have the opposite - I have very low BP (85/40ish sometimes slightly higher, but never "normal").  

If you want to go holistic route - just get a cat or a dog. It has been shown that petting a cat will cause your BP to lower naturally. With 5 cats and a dog...hmm...no wonder why my BP is so low. LOL!

To check for BP - just go to CVS or Walgreens and use the free BP machines every time. That way you don't have the "white coat phenomon". 
2010-12-27 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3262541

User image

Master
Sin City
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-27 6:04 AM
Anne! - 2010-12-27 8:41 AM

I actually have the Suunto t6d but I didnt get the swimming HRM yet. I am thinking of getting it, but I think I need to learn to turn some laps before I satrt to analyze everything.

Honestly - if you're just getting into it, you're fine with what you have.  I have swimsuits, goggles, a nice silcone cap, Timex Ironman watch (I count the laps in my head, and if I screw up, I don't care actually. I just add another 50-100m just in case if I feel like I really messed up.   I also have a pull buoy, fins and a board (only because my coach had workouts that requires them). 

If you are involved with the gym, see if they have Swim Basics 101, Stroke Mechanics, or Swimming for Triathlons, or even a Triathlon class (Triathlon class occurs at my gym every Tuesday).  Anyone can shoot me if I say this statement - Swimming strokes for Triathlons is different from swimming just for fitness or swim races. 

2010-12-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3262514

User image

Champion
marietta
Kerrdog79 - 2010-12-27 8:32 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 9:12 PM

Does anyone make a Jammer for a 44-46 waist?

some folks on here recommend these guys.  i've never used them.  if you give them a shot let us know how it goes.  also i'd try a 42 first. you don't want them loose at all.    

i see you posted in the clydes thread to,  good stuff. 

2010-12-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3262540

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2010-12-27 8:04 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-26 7:03 PM
dalessit - 2010-12-26 9:39 PM
fowlmood - 2010-12-26 9:29 PM Well had a great Christmas in Denver with my family. For the most part was able to maintain my training program while I was up there with a few tweaks. Thursday I got my run in at lunch before we left for Denver then that night was able to swim at 24hr Fitness. Friday got in my bike ride and then swam that afternoon since everything was closed on Saturday so I had back to back days of swimming could feel it then ran on Saturday Even though it was only a couple of thousand feet higher in altitude I could feel it still was pleased with the time and pace.

They only day I missed was my long bike 25mile since we were traveling today and didn't get back until dark.

Question:
Mondays are my rest days should I try and make up some of those miles on Monday or just maintain it as a rest day?

If you have a scheduled recovery day, recover.  I tend to go back and forth between active recovery and complete do nothing recovery.  Currently doing active recovery which tends to be a 30-45 minute spin on the trainer with almost 0 tension just to get the legs moving.

x2.  and  i don't like the term "make up".  let it go,  not only for your body but the mind as well.

edit... AWESOME job maintaining the workouts!!!!

Just catching up here... I like that you wrote this, John. Although I am one of those people who has a really, really hard time giving up ANY workout in a training plan. I'm a bit too OCD on that front, but I hope to embrace being able to let it go a bit in the future. For me, the bigger the workout, the harder to let it go. Recovery swim? Meh... yeah, I can drop one of those without too much agony. But a long bike ride? I'm all about finding a way to squeeze it in. Need to work on my flexibility there. So help keep me in line, OK? (I know, I know, you thought I'd never ask...)

First, I suck at recovery days, but I've gotten better in '10 and plan to be even better at it in '11.  If your body seems tired, take the recovery day.  If you aren't tired (at all), then I would do the planned workout so long as YOU DON"T COMPROMISE the rest of the week.

2010-12-27 9:34 AM

Lamar
I just use Goggles, Jammers, and an HRM
2010-12-27 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3262672

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-12-27 9:28 AM
If you aren't tired (at all), then I would do the planned workout so long as YOU DON"T COMPROMISE the rest of the week. YOU NEED TO RAISE YOUR INTENSITY!!

Suzy, Fixed that for ya!!   HA  Laughing 
2010-12-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3262672

Lamar
Thanks for all of the info. I guess I will suck it and let it go. Biking is one of my stronger if not my strongest discipline at this time. It was also my planned recovery week. I checked my wieght and I was able to maintain if not lose a few more pounds through out the holidays.
2010-12-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3262679

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2010-12-27 9:38 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-27 9:28 AM
If you aren't tired (at all), then I would do the planned workout so long as YOU DON"T COMPROMISE the rest of the week. YOU NEED TO RAISE YOUR INTENSITY!!

Suzy, Fixed that for ya!!   HA  Laughing 

YEAH, well not all of us are EN machines!!!!
2010-12-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3261831

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2010-12-26 12:36 PM WOO-HOO!!!  Over 6,000 bike miles in '10!

Slacker!

Smile

2010-12-27 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3262870

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Good news!

BP was way less at the Dr.'s office than what it was at the minute clinic.  He was surprised that it was that off.  He suggested I keep a log just in case.

But very happy that I don't have to deal with that for now.

Now I need to figure out why my knee is sore... LOL, life is conspiring to get me to Disney under trained...

2010-12-27 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Kids.....since we're on the countdown to the end of one year and the beginning of another, how about a little more sharing than the typical Wednesday race info and question?  We have so many new people, hopefully it will allow everyone to get to know one another a little better and faster and get a little smarter about our sport......expect a question a day between now and the end of the year.....

Pick any MG member, identify them and tell us what you learned from them this year that has helped you and how it's changed you.....realize this is harder for those who just joined, but jump in if you can....
2010-12-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3262902

User image

Veteran
From John, I've learned that beer is so much more than just a breakfast drink...
2010-12-27 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Just off the top of my head...Sorry to anybody I might have left off: 

From the Minnow:
 Size has nothing to do with Heart!  (Already really knew that from my Bride...but Suzy needed some props!)

From Ryan P:  How to train to run fast without getting hurt and how to really enter the "Hurt Locker"

From Fatty:  Beer is an important training supplement to any triathlete  Laughing

Etc......... 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171