General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-01-27 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Another week gone by and another week closer.  How was everyone's training this past week, hopefully good?  Mine was pretty darn good going through today.  Looking forward to tomorrow and a rest day!

S:
6815.31 yd
2h 05m 40s
B: 
51.61 Mi
2h 38m 28s
R:  
18.03 Mi
2h 27m 46s

2013-01-27 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Man I leave for 3 days and people start talking about 30% hills.  It's great to hear about the hills actually.   

Snowshoeing 15 miles is hard.  My whole month built up to that race.  I had to stop and use the bathroom, but I finished in 2:30 on the button.  Now time to get some more normal training in.

Have a great week everyone. 

2013-01-27 10:45 PM
in reply to: #4596936

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
maverickbassets - 2013-01-27 4:25 PM

Man I leave for 3 days and people start talking about 30% hills.  It's great to hear about the hills actually.   

Snowshoeing 15 miles is hard.  My whole month built up to that race.  I had to stop and use the bathroom, but I finished in 2:30 on the button.  Now time to get some more normal training in.

Have a great week everyone. 

I don't have much showshoeing experience, but I do know it's hard, and considering you went a couple of miles further than a half marathon and did it in 2:30 - that's pretty dang impressive!!!

2013-01-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4595681

Flyboy - 2013-01-26 1:23 PM Yep, what Ron said.  Nowhere on that climb is remotely close to 30%.  Looking at the Strava profile, there are some inconsistencies with reality.  Once you cross the little bridge at the bottom and start up, there are no short downhills like the profile shows.  The climb up this side of the Grade is very consistent.  Also, the total distance from bottom to where you actually stop climbing and head into a very shallow descent, is nearly 2 miles.  Climbing up the opposite direction coming back into town, the climb starts fairly abruptly and is steepest at the beginning, then gets a little less steep as you get to toward the top.  Even when you feel like you're done with that climb though, you're still climbing slightly right up until you roll over into the downhill.  Hope this helps and everyone's training is going well!

Great we have people (FlyBoy and PrivateIdaho) to prove us wrong on all that "suppose to be true Internet data".

Thanks guys

2013-01-28 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4594349

User image

New user

NickChasovskykh - 2013-01-25 10:03 AM

ncandersen - 2013-01-24 1:15 AM Not as technical as the old course, lots of looooong up/downhills.  Gets a bit windy out towards the turnaround but not much in the way of flat.  If you're not going up, you're going down.  I used a 12/28 on my P2 and had no issues spinning up the 1.7mi 6% grade.  Just my $.02...

I have a question too .

Looking at the Bike Course profile, there is a major hill (it seems so) at mile 18ish up to mile 19.5 and we do it 4 times on the course. Can we get a bit more details on this? How steep, how long,how hard?

thanks

So on the course, the northbound lanes are closed, and you go out in the inner lane and back on the outer lane.  That hill is ~1.7mi and about 6%, but when you hit the top you don't tip over into a corresponding downhill.  The climb up the backside of it is shorter, but a little steeper.  As I recall, I hit my 28 gear about halfway up, and was able to spin up the last half at about 7-8mph.  It's completely manageable going up, and you haul a$$ coming back down it (40+mph).  The only bad thing about coming back down that is that there's a no passing area at the bottom (narrow bridge), so you just pray you don't get stuck behind someone.  And the course monitors are out there, and will ding you for passing violations in both directions.

2013-01-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4596849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
smithe68 - 2013-01-27 4:51 PM

Another week gone by and another week closer.  How was everyone's training this past week, hopefully good?  Mine was pretty darn good going through today.  Looking forward to tomorrow and a rest day!

S:
6815.31 yd
2h 05m 40s
B: 
51.61 Mi
2h 38m 28s
R:  
18.03 Mi
2h 27m 46s

Not a good week for me. Came down with the flu Thursday and my long training weekend was wiped. I struggled to get a 60 mile ride in Sunday while fighting a mild fever. Hopefully that is over and donw with and I can now bust by butt the next 5 months.

2013-01-28 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4598212

User image

Regular
S:  
8000.00 Yd
2h 41m
B: 
91.15 Mi
5h 18m 32s
R:  
23.62 Mi
3h 24m 47s

Definitely not as fast as you are going but about where I wish I was with my training speed. I know that it will get there in time as I continue my training.  Right now I am really concentrating on keeping my heart rate down to build up that aerobic base which sometimes makes me slow to a crawl it seems. Oh well I am still enjoying it and I really enjoy that day off I get once a week.  

One thing I would like is for it to not snow the day I have my runs. It seems that everytime it snows, I have a run scheduled lol.  

2013-01-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4598611

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Anyone else having trouble getting into the training groove? I've been training and I'm very consistent but I just don't feel like I'm in the groove

Jan total

Run - 70

Bike - 246

Swim - 29000

Not to bad right?

2013-01-28 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4598624

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
bradaskins - 2013-01-28 4:29 PM

Anyone else having trouble getting into the training groove? I've been training and I'm very consistent but I just don't feel like I'm in the groove

Jan total

Run - 70

Bike - 246

Swim - 29000

Not to bad right?

I am feeling pretty good, and feel like I am finally in a good training groove.  I must say though, my numbers feel weak compared to yours and spie34.  I couldn't find time to swim 29000 yds in a week if I tried, nice work!

2013-01-28 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4598646

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

A 30% grade?  I think everyone would be walking that.  I rode a 28% grade once (with a 34/28) and I could barely turn my cranks over.  When I reached the top I was completely spent.

Anyone training on a computrainer?  I haven't been able to find the the new IMCDA bike course.  Anyone have any luck finding it? 

One last thing, anyone know what is going to be on the course?  When I did IMLP in 2011 they had PowerBar Ironman Perform drink and Powerbar gels.  I still can't look at a packet of PowerBar Raspberry Cream gel without getting sick to my stomach.  Anyone try Bonk Breaker?  It appears that might be on the course.

2013-01-28 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4598646

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
smithe68 - 2013-01-28 6:47 PM

Jan total

Run - 70

Bike - 246

Swim - 29000

Not to bad right?

I am feeling pretty good, and feel like I am finally in a good training groove.  I must say though, my numbers feel weak compared to yours and spie34.  I couldn't find time to swim 29000 yds in a week if I tried, nice work!

29000 yards for the month of Jan not a week Smile

2013-01-28 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4598722

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
bradaskins - 2013-01-28 5:36 PM
smithe68 - 2013-01-28 6:47 PM

Jan total

Run - 70

Bike - 246

Swim - 29000

Not to bad right?

29000 yards for the month of Jan not a week Smile

Ahah, now that I look more closely, it does say month of January!  

I believe last year they had GU on the course, can't remember the drink though.

2013-01-29 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4597210

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I don't have much showshoeing experience, but I do know it's hard, and considering you went a couple of miles further than a half marathon and did it in 2:30 - that's pretty dang impressive!!!

It was much tougher to me than a 1/2 mary.  Only 16 people did the race.  I got 5th place and won my age group which was a first. 

I guess my training is going good.  I ran monday and felt great even in the slick snow/rain/ice mix we have right now.  Some of you guys and gals are really putting in some time. 

Let's take stock.  How many of you are in it to finish?  What is your predicted time?  I'll start.  I'm in it to finish and not completly bonk (that means trying to run the whole mary).  I predict something under 15, but not as fast as 12.  That gives me plenty of room to suck or do good.  My biggest concerns are the cold swim (not a great swimmer) and the downhills since I don't get a ton of practice on the hills here in lower Michigan. 

2013-01-29 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4598719

OnYourLeft - 2013-01-28 8:34 PM

A 30% grade?  I think everyone would be walking that.  I rode a 28% grade once (with a 34/28) and I could barely turn my cranks over.  When I reached the top I was completely spent.

Anyone training on a computrainer?  I haven't been able to find the the new IMCDA bike course.  Anyone have any luck finding it? 

One last thing, anyone know what is going to be on the course?  When I did IMLP in 2011 they had PowerBar Ironman Perform drink and Powerbar gels.  I still can't look at a packet of PowerBar Raspberry Cream gel without getting sick to my stomach.  Anyone try Bonk Breaker?  It appears that might be on the course.

30% was a misleading info from my side. I found a link on web and shared for discussion. Good thing is that locals proved me wrong which I am glad about

2013-01-29 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4599160

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
maverickbassets - 2013-01-29 4:40 AM

Let's take stock.  How many of you are in it to finish?  What is your predicted time?  I'll start.  I'm in it to finish and not completly bonk (that means trying to run the whole mary).  I predict something under 15, but not as fast as 12.  That gives me plenty of room to suck or do good.  My biggest concerns are the cold swim (not a great swimmer) and the downhills since I don't get a ton of practice on the hills here in lower Michigan. 

I am in it to finish, especially after my first attempt at an IM (last year's CDA) didn't go well at all.  That being said, I believe I am capable of being somewhere between 12-13 hours.  

Up to you on the swim but since you mention it I will throw this out there.  Either start off to the side, or wait for the crush to go ahead before starting yourself, you wont lose much time and have a better chance of a successful swim.  This of course is just my opinion after being half drowned at the start last year.  It's also advice I have heard a lot and wish I had listened too last year.

2013-01-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4599484

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I am in it to finish, especially after my first attempt at an IM (last year's CDA) didn't go well at all.  That being said, I believe I am capable of being somewhere between 12-13 hours.  

Up to you on the swim but since you mention it I will throw this out there.  Either start off to the side, or wait for the crush to go ahead before starting yourself, you wont lose much time and have a better chance of a successful swim.  This of course is just my opinion after being half drowned at the start last year.  It's also advice I have heard a lot and wish I had listened too last year.

Did you feel you would be competative last year and just got drowned or just got caught up in the moment and couldn't help yourself?  I only ask because at Boise I got excited and jumped in the cold water and took off much too fast.  I had to spend a short amount of time on my back to regain my composure before precceding.  The crowd was not an issue so doing a little back stroke wasn't a big deal.  I imagine you can't just flip over in an ironman and regain anything, but a view of someones underside as they swim over you. 

My game plan on the swim is to let the mass do their thing and then I'll start a minute or two after.  I guess I'll know what place I'm in as I hopefully pass people.  Thanks for the advice.

2013-01-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4598719

User image

New user

SL,UT
OnYourLeft - 2013-01-28 6:34 PM

I have used bonk breakers in several marathons and my half-iron last year.  I think they are pretty easy on the stomach and taste fairly decent.  

2013-01-29 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4599160

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Since it's my first, my number one goal is to finish, but of course I'd like to finish sooner rather than later.  Best case scenario, the clock says 12-something when I cross the line. 

Something around 14 is probably more realistic.  I'd really like to be able to run the whole Mary and get to the finish before dark (which will be about 9:30pm).  The keys for me will be an uneventful swim (severe calf cramps ruined my day at my HIM last year) and getting through the bike course with something still left in the tank.

2013-01-29 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4599766

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
maverickbassets - 2013-01-29 10:15 AM

Did you feel you would be competative last year and just got drowned or just got caught up in the moment and couldn't help yourself?  I only ask because at Boise I got excited and jumped in the cold water and took off much too fast.  I had to spend a short amount of time on my back to regain my composure before precceding.  The crowd was not an issue so doing a little back stroke wasn't a big deal.  I imagine you can't just flip over in an ironman and regain anything, but a view of someones underside as they swim over you. 

My game plan on the swim is to let the mass do their thing and then I'll start a minute or two after.  I guess I'll know what place I'm in as I hopefully pass people.  Thanks for the advice.

I actually got swam over near the very start and swallowed what felt like half the lake, I had to plow through people from underneath to get some air.  I spent the first lap throwing up a fair amount, when I got out of the water after the first lap I paused by the timing matt and one of the helpers asked if I was ok, I dry heaved a bit, said sure and entered the water again.  Before I could get to the first turn, I was so drained I couldn't hold on the kayak (2nd time in the 2nd lap) I grabbed onto by myself.

Check out this video of the swim start, it's from a few years back but, the angle is great and gives you a really good idea what it's like.  I started in the middle of that mess and, at least last year, like you, not a strong swimmer.  I have upped my swimming a lot this year compared to last year and plan on either doing what you are doing or starting to the side.

2013-01-29 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

My predicted time would be just under 12 hours.  A lot can change between now and race day though.  I haven't given the swim start too much thought yet.  At IMLP I started in the front middle and had a great swim.  That however, was a deep water start, which I think isn't quite as physical.

2013-01-29 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
smithe68 - 2013-01-29 9:46 AM

Finished IM St. George last year in 11:37. Not sure how this ride compares, but on top of the massive climbs in St. Geo, we had to deal with some wicked winds through the swim and bike. Plus I'm in much better shape, so I'd like to go 10-something (preferably low-mid 10's), but until I can get up to CDA this spring, I'm not sure how to access the hills.

On the other hand, last year was a perfect Winter for training in No. UT. I pretty much rode outside from January on. This year we are either getting pummeled with snow, or when the snow storms clear, the inversion takes it's place with rancid air and negative temps.

Temps are slowly climbing out of the negatives & single digits, but at this rate, I may not get outside on the bike until May. 

Can anyone out there give me a comparison between CDA and SG (full)?

Edited by CodRed 2013-01-29 9:42 PM

2013-01-29 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

How's training going for everyone? Getting close to the 20 week mark soon. Fall/winter has been strong for me in training and I'm still feeling good as the hours start to increase.

Clearly I am darn close to race weight already, given I had a 5'2" 85lb female coworker ask me about my weight loss already

2013-01-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4600261

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
smithe68 - 2013-01-29 5:18 PM
maverickbassets - 2013-01-29 10:15 AM

I actually got swam over near the very start and swallowed what felt like half the lake, I had to plow through people from underneath to get some air.  I spent the first lap throwing up a fair amount, when I got out of the water after the first lap I paused by the timing matt and one of the helpers asked if I was ok, I dry heaved a bit, said sure and entered the water again.  Before I could get to the first turn, I was so drained I couldn't hold on the kayak (2nd time in the 2nd lap) I grabbed onto by myself.

Check out this video of the swim start, it's from a few years back but, the angle is great and gives you a really good idea what it's like.  I started in the middle of that mess and, at least last year, like you, not a strong swimmer.  I have upped my swimming a lot this year compared to last year and plan on either doing what you are doing or starting to the side.

In 2011 I was at the front of the swim and got pummeled all the way out to the first turn buoy. I think I swam head up all the way to the first buoy so I wouldn't get kicked in the face. That swim start is wicked! 

2013-01-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4600603

User image

CodRed - 2013-01-29 8:35 PM
smithe68 - 2013-01-29 9:46 AM

Finished IM St. George last year in 11:37. Not sure how this ride compares, but on top of the massive climbs in St. Geo, we had to deal with some wicked winds through the swim and bike. Plus I'm in much better shape, so I'd like to go 10-something (preferably low-mid 10's), but until I can get up to CDA this spring, I'm not sure how to access the hills.

On the other hand, last year was a perfect Winter for training in No. UT. I pretty much rode outside from January on. This year we are either getting pummeled with snow, or when the snow storms clear, the inversion takes it's place with rancid air and negative temps.

Temps are slowly climbing out of the negatives & single digits, but at this rate, I may not get outside on the bike until May. 

Can anyone out there give me a comparison between CDA and SG (full)?

I have ridden the SG Course (as a training ride) and I finished IM CDA last year. In my opion they are different types of courses. SG is more of a sustained climb followed by a lot of down hill while CDA is is much more up and down. Even the flat sections of CDA require surges in effort because of the turns or moderate rollers. I would say the 'Wall' in SG is slightly more difficult than the toughest hill at CDA. Hope that helps.

BTW, congrats on an amazing time for SG. We were there to witness the mayhem they called the swim.....I don't think I would have made it out of the water. Add the wind on the bike and that was one brutal day.

2013-01-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4601497

User image

Regular

I'm hoping for sub 12 and would be ecstatic with anything under 11:30.  My actual full HIM I did in 5:11 this last summer at Lake Stevens. If my IT band would have held up better, I think I would have been a few minutes faster but I had to slow to a crawl almost in the last 2 miles. Working on the IT band this year doing some strengthening exercises. 

I'm not concerned about running the whole mary myself. I am planning to walk all the aid stations as a recovery type period. I tend to do that in my HMs I do and I find myself not losing really any time in the race.

I'm by far a MOP swimmer 2:00/100 so I biggest concern is the swim. I did Boise as well last year and I struggled with sighting so I was pretty slow in that race. Lake Stevens swim I used the rope under water so I was almost ten minutes faster.  Nonetheless, I feel I will be free and clear once the swim is over. 

I do feel that my biking and swimming have improved since last summer as well. So overall a happy goal of under 12 and super happy goal of under 11:30. I'm predicting my time based upon what friends have done before at IM CDA. I'm close to the same speed they are in shorter races so hopefully that will translate to this.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57