General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-02-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: rbhancock1

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by rbhancock1

Many thanks for the warm welcome, all.

Swam this a.m., and for the first time in recent memory didn't feel like falling over after exiting the pool. Three workouts per week instead of two seems to be improving things.

Good ones to all today.

Good work! For some reason I am not looking forward to getting back into the routine of consistent swim training. But you're reminding me that it's a good thing.

2014-02-05 1:32 PM

User image

Chicago
Welcome!

I've been doing 3x per week as well and am certainly able to tell a difference one month in. Last year I stayed at 2x/week and only had 3 open water swims prior to CDA. While my swim was not terrible lets just say that I have room to improve...part of that effort is 3x a week and working a bit with a swim coach. So far, so good.

2014-02-05 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago
Originally posted by kmac1346

Originally posted by mb1530

Originally posted by mb1530

I've decided to change up the gearing on my bike and switch out my standard crankset (53/39) for a compact crankset (50/34) to help with the riding the hills in CDA. In investigating cranksets I am trying to figure what crank arm length to go with. There are alot of varying opinions out there. What is everyones opinion on crank arm length? I'm thinking of going with a shorter crank arm (165cm) instead of the 175 cm that I have now. Does it make much of a difference?

Crank arm length will impact your bike fit. From what I've read, many fitters recommend going with shorter crank arms for tri bikes to allow for a better fit, I think it allows you get to get lower without closing off the hip angle. It looks like manufacturers are starting to spec shorter arms as well. But, if you are currently fit to your bike with a 175 crank arm, you would likely need a new fit to go with the 165.

I'm curious as to why you want to go with the shorter crank arms, and why you think the 165s are right for you?

I've read some information that talks about the benefits of shorter crank arms, like less fatigue, less stress on the lower back and knees. In looking at new cranksets there were some good deals on cranksets with 165 mm crank arms and wondered if it would be a good move for me. I don't have long legs and I am not real happy with the current fit of my bike so I figured now is the time to switch.

I think that is a pretty big jump. I know this isn't super helpful, but it really is hard to know whether that will be "right" for you as there are so many variables. Can you get a fit before making the decision? That would give some more info to consider.

Agreed that this is a pretty big jump..if you want my opinion it would be to go your fitter (or a new one if you're not terribly happy with your current fit) and talk to them about it. Lot's of articles on either side of long or short crank arms, in reality it comes down to your unique geometry (bike included). Most good fitters will allow you to spin a bit (in the shop) using different crank lengths and evaluate.

I think when you mention less fatigue you're likely referring to longer cranks generally better on flat rides (more leverage to "push"), and shorter cranks having the benefit of being able to spin faster on hillier routes?

Good luck!

Edited by Skipjack_50 2014-02-05 1:56 PM
2014-02-06 1:47 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

COEUR D ALENE, Idaho
A great alternative to booking a hotel is to rent out a house. We live up here in Coeur d'Alene and absolutely love Ironman time of year!. I have a lot friends who rent their homes out each year and people seem to love it because it gives them full amenities of a house like a garage for safe keeping of gear and bikes. My wife and I are attempting to rent our house out for the first time this year! Hopefully someone will rent it out and enjoy it for the week
2014-02-08 7:22 PM
in reply to: tbarnettcda

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Northern California is finally getting some rain. Good for most things, but not so good for the long ride. Going to get reacquainted with the Sufferfest. It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time this morning was a good way to get two hours in on the trainer. Hope everyone's training is going great.
2014-02-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
We actually got a bit of snow here in Memphis. 3 hours on the trainer. Watched Kick A$$ 2 and part of Superman, neither one was that great, but it kept my mind busy.

2014-02-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Haven't posted for awhile but been lurking from time to time.  Thought I'd post a pic of the swim start just to get folks heart rates up!   This was taken today from the concrete steps at City Beach.   Not to worry, there's lots of time to warm things up.  Hope everyone's training is going well.

(ice.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
ice.JPG (114KB - 6 downloads)
2014-02-08 11:10 PM

User image

Love it.
Plenty of time to melt all that away
2014-02-09 2:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by Flyboy

Haven't posted for awhile but been lurking from time to time.  Thought I'd post a pic of the swim start just to get folks heart rates up!   This was taken today from the concrete steps at City Beach.   Not to worry, there's lots of time to warm things up.  Hope everyone's training is going well.

That lake looks really calm. Whew, that's a relief! ;-)

15 miles today on a treadmill.
2014-02-09 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

People talk about me being crazy for doing long trainer rides. I can't even spend 1 minute on the treadmill. 15 miles, that's crazy
2014-02-09 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

Like others said, 15 miles on the treadmill is impressive! I can't do it, just can't. I'll run the pouring rain, just no treadmill. So, nice job!

2014-02-10 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Also agree. 15 miles on the dreadmill is impressive.

Happy 20 weeks everyone! I started official training today. Bring on CdA!
2014-02-10 6:01 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

kmac -- You okay? Washed away from a season's worth of rain in a few days? Hope all's well.

2.5 hours on the bike trainer today, through 3 episodes of "Deadwood." Tried to go 3 hours, but it wasn't in me. Low wattage and HR, too. Bike needs to seriously improve. Couple weeks and should be able to get outside.

Good ones to all.
2014-02-10 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Yes, yes, doing fine. Survived our "storm." Truth be told, in the South Bay, we needed more rain. It misted and drizzled all weekend, enough to keep me on the trainer both days, but not enough to make a dent in our drought. I do realize how seriously spoiled we are here in Northern California. Most of the year, I can get out for rides on the weekend. So, when I miss a weekend or two, man do I notice it.
2014-02-11 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm Morgan Hills is Northern CA.....? I am 8 hours NE of you ... think you min mid CA. Did 50 miles on the drainer here but ya ran outside was a blistering 39F for my long run. Good to run in just shorts and a shirt instead of warm weather gear. Started my 20 week plan yesterday.
2014-02-11 10:21 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

kmac -- Found you there on a map. Lower end of Silicon Valley. I make it to SF once or twice a month, usually. Love that part of the world.

Baowolf -- Great job on the 50 and the run. Made it outside myself today in a t-shirt and shorts. 50 degrees. 8-mile greenbelt run. Felt great to be outdoors. Then swim test this evening. Generally pleased with the results.

All kinds of self-doubt about this distance beginning to brew. To be followed, I'm sure, by many days where I feel invincible. And back again. Egads! I love this ride!

2014-02-11 10:33 PM

User image

ha, I used that opportunity to go out there and get a fun ride in the rain - did 62 miles from Santa Clara, over to OLH, Canada, Woodside, Alpine and back!
2014-02-11 11:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by Baowolf

Hrm Morgan Hills is Northern CA.....? I am 8 hours NE of you ... think you min mid CA. Did 50 miles on the drainer here but ya ran outside was a blistering 39F for my long run. Good to run in just shorts and a shirt instead of warm weather gear. Started my 20 week plan yesterday.

You know, being from L.A. area originally, I have sometimes wondered how the San Francisco Bay Area gets to refer to itself as Northern California. That does seem to leave out a huge chunk of the state.

Supposed to be mid 70s by Thursday, crazy weather.
2014-02-12 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Baowolf Hrm Morgan Hills is Northern CA.....? I am 8 hours NE of you ... think you min mid CA. Did 50 miles on the drainer here but ya ran outside was a blistering 39F for my long run. Good to run in just shorts and a shirt instead of warm weather gear. Started my 20 week plan yesterday.
You know, being from L.A. area originally, I have sometimes wondered how the San Francisco Bay Area gets to refer to itself as Northern California. That does seem to leave out a huge chunk of the state. Supposed to be mid 70s by Thursday, crazy weather.

Sounds nice. I was able to get out a few weekends ago for a 40 miler, this last weekend it dumped 6" of snow here on Friday night. Still trying to melt out from under that. Not looking forward to my long ride on the trainer this weekend. 

2014-02-14 12:20 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
For first time IMers don't worry so much about the distance, just follow your plan and your training will carry you through .. it is magic. Don't skip the long runs, rides or swims... Don't go out too fast on the bike, don't underestimate the swim if you are not a natural born swimmer. Do buy a wetsuit...
2014-02-14 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Question for those of you who have done CDA before;

I was looking at the bike course and checking out the aid stations and trying to figure out the spacing on the stations. It looks like they are anywhere between 10 and 15 miles apart. Are they a little more evenly positioned on the actual course than what it looks like on the bike course map?

Just thinking ahead to how much water I'll pick up at each station.

Thanks,

Mike

2014-02-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Chicago
Honestly I cant recall from last year on specific mileage apart etc, but I never had a "..where is the next aid station at already" moment (this counts for the run as well). If I had to guess I'd say that the distance apart might look funky on the out/back to Mica Peak which would make sense. With all the climbing and longish descents it makes a lot more sense in regards to safety and momentum to play with the mileage between aid stations vs be static.

You'll be fine, race is really well supported and as long as your taking in fluids when you hit the stations you'll be covered.

2014-02-14 9:21 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
All the IMs have water on the bike every 10 to 15 miles apart. I just have an aero bottle and top it off every aid station if warmish or every other aid station if cold ish. Even if it is warm the temp probably wont get bad on the bike at all. The run on the other hand could be warm (or cold). Fluid supply should not be a problem in either case as long as you have 1 bottle cage/holder, thing.
2014-02-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

The bike aid stations are right about 10 miles apart and the run stations are every mile, give or take just a little. 

2014-02-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4813476

Hello all,

Just finished my week 1 training. Looking for advice. This is my first IM, live in the Midwest and have dealt with below 0 temps for most if not all of my runs. Bike has been on trainer indoors. When I started to go to 1 hour plus I noticed right knee pain. Had the bike shop re-fit and felt ok but as the week progressed got worse again. Pain was at the top (12 to 3 o'clock position) and basically only the outer part of knee cap before re-fit. Now the pain is just at the top of the knee. I know I need to get new pair of running shoes (close to end) but the running is fine until after when I feel the soreness. The pain is not sharp just sore. Took some anti-inflammatory and felt better. Did a 2 hour bike and 20 min run today. Didn't bother me until I was just resting and not really moving. When I stay active soreness is slight.

Sorry for the long message but want to give full picture. I'm worried so early in the training don't want to jeopardize and risk more serious injury.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139185 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384028 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135237 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3683 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61741 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.