BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Janyne, I believe it is Spring/Summer/Fall, so I think that means Novemberish. Then New Year for the next one.

2014-05-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by jbwills Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is: Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here. Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?

I understand about the exercise bike.  I really do.  But... more bike. 

Remind me, when are you expecting to be back in TN?  September?

Will be back in TN sometime around mid September. Not exactly sure when, but hopefully on my way by my birthday on Sept 12. I will know more as I get closer. I should have a solid 4 weeks stateside before B2B. I was also thinking more bike, but wanted more opinions.

So you'll have maybe 2-4 weeks of solid training before taper. 

If you can get up to 2.5 hours for your long ride by early September, you can get your three hour rides in on the road.  You may want add 30 minutes to that given the lack of in the water swim training that you'll be able to do.  That way if you come out of the water a bit tired, you'll at least feel strong on the bike.  We know that you'll rock the run! 

Yanti can probably help with the swim specific workouts.

2014-05-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne, I believe it is Spring/Summer/Fall, so I think that means Novemberish. Then New Year for the next one.

Ah.  The weekend of September 27-28th will probably be the changeover.  I mean, it's not like we have three iron distance events that weekend or anything...

2014-05-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 I've had a full day already manatees! Before 9 I had already run 6 miles, walked Gunnar a mile, gotten powdered and puffed for work, driven to the courthouse, saw 2 judges on 4 different cases, and handled a couple of office emergencies! I'm heading for SBux now!!

Well deserved!

2014-05-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr BIO Uhhh, finally NAME: Darren, (Dazzer, Son) STORY: 38 year old British guy (of the Welsh variety) who quit smoking October 2012. In order to avoid piling on the pounds, I looked for a long term challenge. Cue triathlon training. Since then I have had to learn how to swim (badly), how to suffer on stupid hills on my stupid bike, and how to get all manner of injuries from running. I find it a constant struggle to remain consistent with training, as I live a very busy life. FAMILY STATUS: Married to DW Hannah for the past 7 years, with two sprogs in tow, Emmylou (almost 6 going on 18) and Finley (4 unlikely to reach 5 the way he's going). Also have the customary manatee furry friend Lucy (St Bernard) who's 4 1/2. CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to train as and when I can fit it in around work and a multitude of jobs I have half started around the house. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: July Long Course Weekend Wales (Basically a Iron Distance over 3 days) August Vitruvian Man (HIM) September Equinox 24 (24 hour run) BODY COMPOSITION: Frumpy (meh)

It is horrifyingly unfair we're the same age and you look half. At least I also act half (if even that).

It's cool. Even if you're Jabba the Hut, this whale-wannabe-orca gives you a {MELON PRESS}.

2014-05-29 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ah.  The weekend of September 27-28th will probably be the changeover.  I mean, it's not like we have three iron distance events that weekend or anything...

I checked logs this morning and if someone doesn't start training, then that number will be smaller. She knows who she is...

2014-05-29 8:43 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Darren, if you're the master of the mini-taper, I might have to get some schoolin' from you.  I decided yesterday that I'm going to do the 6/8 HIM I had on the books (and then took off my schedule after the knee and hammy-whammy of the last couple months).  The last 2 weeks went well enough that I'm going to start it and target something between compete and complete for the race strategy.

We'll see, but I won't have done my usual build/peak/taper blocks.  More like "enforced rest from injury/short build/taper week."  Feels like when I cram a race into the mid-season, taper-wise, but without the base!  

Let me adjust that signature for you... Darren - (*because of his hectic life, non-consistent training and perpetual injuries, he has had to become the) Master of the mini taper (,which basically means turning up to events ill prepared and dying on his overweight a$$). Still want that advice *Apologies for talking of oneself in the third

P.S. Stop stealing my training plan.

2014-05-29 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by amd723I've had a full day already manatees! Before 9 I had already run 6 miles, walked Gunnar a mile, gotten powdered and puffed for work, driven to the courthouse, saw 2 judges on 4 different cases, and handled a couple of office emergencies! I'm heading for SBux now!!
Nice! I'm waiting for the usao to open... Which may involve SBux
2014-05-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Confession time!

I gave Tom a really hard time about double booking himself.  I said something about using a newfangled device called a calendar

However....

While I have not double booked myself, I did sign up for an open water swim.  It's in Wrightsville Beach which is far but not really a problem.  I mean, I've done 10ks in that area before and round tripped it and I've done day trips to the beach.  It's all good, right?  Then I realized that to make the swim start and check in and stuff I'd need to leave the house at like 4am. 

Yeah, that's what I would have had to do to make my race, too (3 am, actually, but still). 

Was not going to happen after staying up to midnight helping to tear down from a wedding.

Why couldn't you just stay up then?

Thank you Ben!

You people.

We here are problem solvers!

2014-05-29 9:29 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jbwills Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is: Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here. Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?

I threw it into a chart and got this: 

RunSwimBike
Mon3.5Cords 
Tues3.5 60
Wed7Cords 
Thurs3.5 90
Fri3.5Cords 
Sat10.5 60

That seems run heavy, but given where you are in the world, I understand completely. And if the Ultra has more appeal, then more running is a good thing. However, I'm with Janyne on this, maybe swap Monday's run for a ride. Or Tues Run becomes a swim and and Mon Swim becomes a bike.

And thank you very much for being where you are and doing what you do.

I'm curious which Sufferfest vids are being used. Also, while just doing more exercise bike would be understandably difficult, if you could stand more of it with more Sufferfest vids, then Extra Shot or The Long Scream can add some time. Might have to back off slightly from the first vid though. Also, there are the two longer ones out in Blender and ISLAGIATT. Otherwise keep on pushing each session as you are.

2014-05-29 9:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Any bets on whether I finish another Ironman before the last one's race report?

2014-05-29 10:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I'd say its a 50/50 proposition.

2014-05-29 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

2014-05-29 10:10 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by amd723I've had a full day already manatees! Before 9 I had already run 6 miles, walked Gunnar a mile, gotten powdered and puffed for work, driven to the courthouse, saw 2 judges on 4 different cases, and handled a couple of office emergencies! I'm heading for SBux now!!

SBux...I'm shocked, TJ, shocked

Nice work, Hands.  I think you should just call it a day!

2014-05-29 10:12 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

I hear a competition brewing.  Who's organizing the pool (betting, not swimming)? 

2014-05-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

That makes me laugh for some reason!

2014-05-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by laffinrock

I think so too!  Of course, that is pretty much my normal morning, don't know why it struck me so differently today.  I kind of felt like the old Army commercial (we do more before 9 ...)

2014-05-29 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

OK, I'll put up a beer that says she finishes her next race before she finishes her RR.

2014-05-29 10:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

OK, I'll put up a beer that says she finishes her next race before she finishes her RR.

Considering I have races scheduled for this weekend, that's a pretty low bar ... beer ...

2014-05-29 10:46 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

Considering I have races scheduled for this weekend, that's a pretty low bar ... beer ...

My momma didn't raise a dummy.

2014-05-29 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

Don't try to pull a fast one on me Chris!  Her next race is 6/1, so I'm not biting   Also, my 70-30 was in favor of the race being first, but just to make a bet a bet, I will take the opposite position and put up a beer that she finishes her RR before her next ironman!

ETA:  oops, Yanti called you out before I did!

Edited by amd723 2014-05-29 10:47 AM

2014-05-29 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Way to take a position!

I'll say 70-30.

Don't try to pull a fast one on me Chris!  Her next race is 6/1, so I'm not biting   Also, my 70-30 was in favor of the race being first, but just to make a bet a bet, I will take the opposite position and put up a beer that she finishes her RR before her next ironman!

ETA:  oops, Yanti called you out before I did!

OK, I'll take Ironman before RR, with payment on the weekend of 11/9. That should give it time to get icy cold!

Yanti, feel free to take your time on this  Train more, write less.

2014-05-29 10:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by brigby1

I threw it into a chart and got this: 

RunSwimBike
Mon3.5Cords 
Tues3.5 60
Wed7Cords 
Thurs3.5 90
Fri3.5Cords 
Sat10.5 60

That seems run heavy, but given where you are in the world, I understand completely. And if the Ultra has more appeal, then more running is a good thing. However, I'm with Janyne on this, maybe swap Monday's run for a ride. Or Tues Run becomes a swim and and Mon Swim becomes a bike.

And thank you very much for being where you are and doing what you do.

I'm curious which Sufferfest vids are being used. Also, while just doing more exercise bike would be understandably difficult, if you could stand more of it with more Sufferfest vids, then Extra Shot or The Long Scream can add some time. Might have to back off slightly from the first vid though. Also, there are the two longer ones out in Blender and ISLAGIATT. Otherwise keep on pushing each session as you are.

Right now Ihave these videos: Angels, The Hunted, There is no Try, A Very Dark Place, Downward Spiral, Hell Hath No Fury, Extra Shot, The Wretched, Fight Club, Local Hero, The Long Scream. I have looked at Blender and ISLAGIATT but internet here is slow to download it. Right now I am trying to switch the videos up to keep some variety and work more muscle groups. I am thinking as I start increasing time of doing a few of the videos back to back to increase the time with a short rest period in between, mainly to get more water.
2014-05-29 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

I think so too!  Of course, that is pretty much my normal morning, don't know why it struck me so differently today.  I kind of felt like the old Army commercial (we do more before 9 ...)

Yeah, my day has been the opposite of that. After sitting at the USAO I drove to Santa Fe and sat watching my computer screen for nearly an hour while our computer geek worked on it remotely

2014-05-29 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jobaxas I am still here - I try and check in but it's tough! What have I got going on - lots of work for IM Talk and for Macca - all for no pay but i love to do it. I also do a fair amount of work for Vinnie Tortorich - check out his podcasts if you like fun explicit podcasts with some good nutrition advice from great renowned docs. I'm also loving Tawnee Prazak on Endurance Planet. It's a big weekend of 70.3's around the world as well as the World ITU in London - lots of online stalking for me which then means researching those that podium and reporting on all of this to Macca and then doing a wrap up for IMTalk for Monday! Macca himself is racing in Japan this weekend. Next week is Cairns - home of my one and only HIM. Can't wait to go back again and stalk! I've got a VIP media pass so it will be awesome. Going to hang out with Belinda and Justin Granger two of the nicest people in triathlon. My buddy Jason McNamara is racing the full - Yanti I'll say hi! Meeting up with nearly all of the guys who were at Macca's Phuket camp in November. So my training. Finally my head cold is gone. Today I did another MAF run. For MAF staying in that zone is amazing - progress is so tangible. Today my pace improved again. Love it. Haven't swum this week. I'm having my hair straightened Satruday so that's four days off all training and tying back of hair! Love ya guys!

This all sounds great Jo!  So much fun!  VIP media pass!  Woo hoo!  Super stalker!

Great news on the run improvements!  It's so motivating when you see or feel an improvement! 

A media pass is pretty cool.  All that stalking finally paying off!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.