BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-02-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
1600yd swim for me this afternoon at lunch, dodging high school kids and hanging out in the lane next to the guy who wears his wetsuit. Local high school kids had some sort of outing at my gym (the university rec center) and they were everywhere!! Including in my lane--I swam past them, made the turn, and then kablam! Ran right into one of them who was trying to cross lanes without actually looking. I don't know what's up with the wet suit guy. Normally he comes and swims about five laps, then drinks a gatorade. Then swims about five more laps and has a gu. Repeat for about 30 minutes and he's done. I've never seen anyone bring a suitcase of snacks to the pool before this guy.

2018-02-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by MOlsen

This morning I had a late start so was only able to get in a 2 mile run before work. Last night was another 1100m in the pool, still feeling good there as I slowly ramp up the distance.

Diet wise, I gained about 15 pounds last year by not exercising as much and not really watching what I'm eating. This year I'm back to (nearly) daily exercise and keeping an eye on my food intake. The main change was getting back to making my own lunch instead of going out each day. My new job is close to a lot of food choices and I feel into that trap quickly. It's slow but steady progress.

I fall into that trap sometimes too! It's so much easier (and tastier) to just go out somewhere.
2018-02-09 1:20 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

1600yd swim for me this afternoon at lunch, dodging high school kids and hanging out in the lane next to the guy who wears his wetsuit. Local high school kids had some sort of outing at my gym (the university rec center) and they were everywhere!! Including in my lane--I swam past them, made the turn, and then kablam! Ran right into one of them who was trying to cross lanes without actually looking. I don't know what's up with the wet suit guy. Normally he comes and swims about five laps, then drinks a gatorade. Then swims about five more laps and has a gu. Repeat for about 30 minutes and he's done. I've never seen anyone bring a suitcase of snacks to the pool before this guy.

This story both annoyed me (kids! They're never aware of their surroundings!) and made me giggle (who needs a gu mid-short swim?!).
2018-02-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Masters practice this morning. My coach decided to try and murder us (at least I'm pretty sure that was his intention).

After some drills and such...
31 (not 30, not 32...) x 25 (hitting 20, going on 35)
6 x 50 (25 back, 25 free, on 1:15)
5 x 250 on 5:00

Have a swim meet tomorrow evening. I'm sure I will feel awesome by then. Swimming the 100 back, 100 free and 50 fly, plus 2 relays I'm sure (4x100 medley and 4x200 free ugh).

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2018-02-09 3:01 PM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Originally posted by Yakhead

I was wondering about food and diet, since alot if people have had good success with weight loss, Paleo, vegetarians, keto, my fitness pal or other apps, ect., i am wondering what worked for you? I was thinking of whole 30 for 30 days but like breads and beer.

I'd echo that it's both all about what works for you and also being smart....realistically, calories in & out.

I have used MFP in the past and I think it is a VERY powerful tool in terms of a daily education about where you take in your calories (and therefore, what you can cut to make changes and what you WANT to cut). I think anyone who has struggled with diets and weight loss should use it to educate themselves. For me, my diet varies little--I'm a creature of habit plus I'm allergic to so much that after a while I had a pretty good idea as to where my problems were. (Beer). I also don't do well at actual portion size restriction or feeling hungry, ESPECIALLY when I am engaging in a pretty strict or active exercise program. So I tend to use the South Beach Diet but this isn't because I believe it is The Diet, it's because the foods are food I will and can eat (since there is so much I can not). It just works for my body--not just for weight loss but maintenance as well because I enjoy what I'm eating and making. The bonus is that the focus on lean meats and vegetables=lower calories, but portion sizes generally aren't restricted. Beer isn't really in the diet even at maintenance, but what I've learned over the years is that if I exercise and burn 400-500 calories a day, then I can drink beer once I'm at maintenance without much problem of weight gain. It's when I slack off and just generally stop taking care of myself (and keep drinking beer!), that weight gain happens.

Like you, I like bread and beer. SBD focuses on whole grain bread/carbs after the first few 2 weeks which is just fine with me. The 2 weeks without beer or wine sucks, but you definitely see results on the scale and it does seem to detox me and reduce cravings...plus it reminds me of how much better I sleep when not drinking which is also a powerful motivator. After 2 weeks beer is not encouraged but wine is allowed. What I think I'm going to do over the next 6 months or so until I'm comfortably at my ideal weight is drink beer on weekends (provided I'm exercising) and stick to a glass of wine on the weekdays. I did that this past week and have not felt deprived--it feels like something I can maintain long-term.

Sandi

Sandi

2018-02-09 3:01 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

OMG Gretchen I'm laughing fairly hard at the image of the wetsuit guy. Thanks for the chuckle!

Sandi

2018-02-09 4:22 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Masters practice this morning. My coach decided to try and murder us (at least I'm pretty sure that was his intention).

Have a swim meet tomorrow evening. I'm sure I will feel awesome by then. Swimming the 100 back, 100 free and 50 fly, plus 2 relays I'm sure (4x100 medley and 4x200 free ugh).

WAIT!! If you swam 31 25s, doesn't that mean you had to start the rest of your workout at the WRONG END OF THE POOL?!?!?!?!
2018-02-10 10:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by nicole14e

WAIT!! If you swam 31 25s, doesn't that mean you had to start the rest of your workout at the WRONG END OF THE POOL?!?!?!?!

Haha! Good question! No, we took a slow 25 yard swim after that part to the other side of the pool
2018-02-11 11:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had my meet last night. Swam the 100 bk, 100 fr, 50 fly, the 100 bk leg of the 4x100 medley relay, and a leg in the 4x200 fr relay. Had a pretty good day. Final results haven't come out yet, but I swam about a 1:16 in the 100 bk, my split in the medley relay was about 1:18, swam a 1:06 I think in the 100 fr, and a 32something in the 50 fly. Not sure about the 4x200. The meet went super late and that was the last event and I just wanted to get out of the pool! haha

They also did a fun thing called The Plunge. You dive off the block and go as far as you can underwater without kicking or anything. My coach and I both won! They did it right in the middle of the meet to break it up, although it definitely didn't help with the meet going over, lol.

Went out to din with the team after and I cheated a little on my detox. Had a small piece of bread (we were at an italian place and I LOVE italian bread with olive oil), a small cookie my teammate baked, and a glass of red wine. No regrets, they were all delicious!
2018-02-11 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Windy, Wet, Hot, Humid, generally crappy weather. Plus a grumpy teething baby equals 4 days of no exercise for Bullfrog.

I feel like such a sloth.

Got out at 530am this morning for a very quick run with the hound, as she was starting to sulk after 4 days of not getting off the property...

I must do better.

Hope you all had a better weekend than I did.
2018-02-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: #5237401

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I’m in the same boat as Andrew—off weekend for me. Saturday I woke up with intentions of a run. But, the dishwasher was lit up like a Christmas tree and throwing error codes all over the place. Of course, it is full of dirty dishes and water. The way our house is plumbed (poorly) means that to cut water to the kitchen, I have to cut the main supply. It is something I’ve been meaning to fix, but out of sight, out of mind! Anyway, it took about five hours to fix the dishwasher. The air brake was clogged, so most of that time was spent outside (30F) at the garden spigot making vinegar and baking soda volcanos to clear the clog from the sealed plastic labyrinth that Samsung designed. It was awful.

Sunday, sore. Like ridiculously sore from holding the ends of the brake shut against the volcano bomb. So, skipped run yesterday.

Monday-woke up and showered for work. While drying my hair—bam. Neck spasm. Not as bad as the time I couldn’t lift my head off my left shoulder for a week, but painful nonetheless. Fortunately, I just happened to have a follow up apppintment with the doc for my foot today, so hoping he’ll be able to help. If not, I still have the left over meds from last time!

2018-02-12 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

This weekend had me coming in to work for a couple hours each morning trying to wrap up something for a product release. I got things done but it cut into my planned workout schedule. Saturday's bike ride was turned into bike commuting and Sunday's long run was cut back to 6 miles. My weekday schedule will also be rocky as I'm on-call this week. Hopefully I'll still get in some short runs/swims to keep myself moving (and sane!).

On Saturday I enjoyed a nice "West Coast" style IPA from another (relatively) new local brewery: Santa Maria Brewing Co's "Exploration". Bright floral hops and just a touch of malt.

2018-02-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Windy, Wet, Hot, Humid, generally crappy weather. Plus a grumpy teething baby equals 4 days of no exercise for Bullfrog. I feel like such a sloth. Got out at 530am this morning for a very quick run with the hound, as she was starting to sulk after 4 days of not getting off the property... I must do better. Hope you all had a better weekend than I did.

Hey!  We had that same weather here in Baltimore - wet, foggy, weirdly warm, torrential downpours.  Haven't seen the sun since Friday.

2018-02-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I did a short run Saturday morning to test out my knee. It felt good! Decided to try playing football yesterday and it felt perfect, no pain at all! I'm back! Am going to try to get a run in tomorrow morning, but it will be short as I build my stamina back up. Going to boot camp Wednesday to see how it does there. Masters practice is tonight.
2018-02-13 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Been a bit of a slug the last few days - had to abandon the ToS due to some, uh, saddle area issues.  NMI necessary.  Thanks to Gretchen and John for jinxing me with all the saddle talk. :-)

My running is still coming along - up to 10+ minutes total each session on the treadmill, upping to 12 minutes this week.  Swimming has gone off the rails a bit due to scheduling issues, hopefully this will get better as the new pool opens Thursday.

@Nicole - great news on the knee.  That must be quite a relief.  And nice job at the meet over the weekend.

@Gretchen - the "denziens of the pool" stories never get old - I've only worn my wetsuit to the pool a couple of times and I felt ridiculous and it gets REALLY hot wearing that thing in warmer water.  I love swimming when the old ladies are doing aerobics, and you get a sheen of perfume/powder/whatever on the water and it smells really pretty.

Got in 45' on the trainer this morning around London on Zwift.

2018-02-14 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I celebrated/recognized Fat Tuesday in the only way I know how, eating bacon for breakfast, sausage for lunch, and pork ribs for dinner in anticipation of my Lenten sacrifice of giving up pork (as well as french fries and potato chips...what am I going to eat for goodness' sakes???).  I feel awful today.  

Got to the gym this morning and did 45' on the treadmill and some lower body and core work.  I have my first Zwift race scheduled for Friday morning...this should be interesting.  I've heard it's all-out the whole time.

2018-02-14 12:16 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a bit of a fail this morning. I had all the good intentions of going to boot camp. Registered for the class late so I was wait listed. As I walked out the door I realized I forgot my knee brace, and when I went upstairs to grab it I couldn't find it (it was under my pants I wore yesterday). I gave up and decided to do laundry and study.

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm still on my detox but plan on eating a little dark chocolate this evening Luckily no one at work brought in any treats so there aren't temptations here.
2018-02-14 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Short runs the first 3 days of the week. But after a 4am wake up with the little man this morning, I took the extra half hour in bed over a morning run.

Slightly less sloth like, but still a ways to go.
2018-02-15 6:49 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I feel like a broken record this year. No workouts for me this week so far. Injured top and bottom. Top: neck spasm. Bottom: infected burn on the top of my foot. Probably be okay with one or the other (stationary bike with neck spasm or swim with foot), but everything hurts something. Maybe I should just be like the groundhod Phil and go back into my den for six more weeks until spring starts.
2018-02-15 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Seems like an off week for a bunch of us! Yesterday I made it to the gym and managed 15 minutes on an elliptical and 10 minutes of rowing before my pager went off and I had to take care of work stuff. With the risk of getting paged I've been deferring to the rowing machine for upper body work and it's a decent substitute.

@Gretchen : No hiding in your den until spring! Hopefully your foot heals quickly and you can get moving again!

2018-02-15 5:42 PM
in reply to: #5237742

User image

I have not fallen off the earth or from here. I have had a hip pain amd have been working on fixing that, it is almost better, and i have worked a ton. Back on track on Monday.

2018-02-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Yakhead

I have not fallen off the earth or from here. I have had a hip pain amd have been working on fixing that, it is almost better, and i have worked a ton. Back on track on Monday.

Glad you are feeling better!
2018-02-16 10:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Masters practice this morning, crushed me as usual. Hit almost 3k yards. I can barely lift my arms for more than a few seconds before it becomes difficult, and I need a nap SOOO bad. I give it an A+

Have a friend coming to town tonight. We are going to hit the gym tomorrow for a HIIT cycling class, followed by some power yoga, then brunch (wine!). Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2018-02-16 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Swam in the new pool yesterday - awesome.  Got in 1900 yards because 2K would've been crazy.  

Zwift race this morning - UGH.  Did a 20 minute warm up for a 20 mile or so criterium.  Started off fine, then 10 minutes in dropped my stupid chain.  Just like in real life, you get dropped ain't no way you're catching back up.  Finished DFL in C category.  I am cooked - that hurt.  A lot.

Definitely an experience and I have a lot to learn about racing.  My power output was fine, just really bad execution (and the mechanical didn't help).

Happy Friday everyone!

2018-02-16 11:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Swam in the new pool yesterday - awesome.  Got in 1900 yards because 2K would've been crazy.  

Zwift race this morning - UGH.  Did a 20 minute warm up for a 20 mile or so criterium.  Started off fine, then 10 minutes in dropped my stupid chain.  Just like in real life, you get dropped ain't no way you're catching back up.  Finished DFL in C category.  I am cooked - that hurt.  A lot.

Definitely an experience and I have a lot to learn about racing.  My power output was fine, just really bad execution (and the mechanical didn't help).

Happy Friday everyone!

Brave of you to go on opening day! What'd you think of the new area? I'm going tomorrow and can't wait to check it out, but likely won't get in the pool until Masters there on Monday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 55683 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14619 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363