BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-29 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2249226

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

KauaiShan - 2009-06-28 11:30 PM Well, I must have the Tri bug because my first race was yesterday and I woke up this morning thinking about strategy and training for the next one.  It's funny because I woke up in the middle of the night last night and said "there is no possible way I did the swim in under 6 minutes" (like the posted results said). Sure enough, we got updated results this morning and they hadn't added the 4 minutes wave difference into our results. So, I still had 2nd in my division but actually did the swim in 9 minutes.  Honestly, I feel better about that result because it reflects what my body was telling me during the swim.

I do have a question about training. I am starting a new BT training plan and am thinking about using an Oly plan even through I only have sprints for the rest of the summer (and the swim portion of an Oly relay team).  When I used the Sprint training plan, I was always going longer than the suggested workouts. Is there a downside to using an Oly plan if I am just racing Sprints?

Oh yeah..new avatar since I actually have a picture of me in a race now

Using the OLy training plan will only make it easier than using a sprint program. The downside might be if you train slower with the Oly distances it might slow down your sprint times.  I say go ahead and use the oly... alway better to have longer distances on your side. You can speed up if you need to.

2009-06-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I think I got over my training funk now. I just didn't have a goal close enough (my HIm isn't until Sept 13) so I entered a long sprint July 19. Maybe do another sprint or OLY in August too. I've kicked up my core trainnig as well although after last night I may have to see my friendly neighbourhood Chiropractor.

2009-06-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2250269

User image

Master
Small Town
Redknight - 2009-06-29 12:43 PM

I think I got over my training funk now...

...I've kicked up my core trainnig as well although after last night I may have to see my friendly neighbourhood Chiropractor.

That's funny.  Good luck with the upcoming race!
2009-06-29 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Nice races EVERYONE!  

My family and I have been passing around the stomach bug the last few days, so I am recouperating the next day or so.  After a day of throwing up, it may take a day or so to get the desire to get back at it. 
2009-06-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2250544

User image

Expert
B'ham

Plainsman AU - 2009-06-29 10:50 AM Nice races EVERYONE!  

My family and I have been passing around the stomach bug the last few days, so I am recouperating the next day or so.  After a day of throwing up, it may take a day or so to get the desire to get back at it. 

I'm taking every vitamin in the medicine cabinet trying to avoid getting whatever my wife and daughter have.  So far, the men in the house are clear.

Nice job to all of the racers this weekend.  I'd like to second the sentiments that it really does feel like a team around here, everyone pulling for each other.  Very Cool!!

2009-06-29 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I went out this AM and rode the 17.5 mile bike course for my next tri 7/12. It is a great course! Despite being beat up from yesterday, and going slow at the intersections as I learned the route, I averaged 19.8 mph. I check out the swim start and finish areas and the transition location. All look great. I tried to run the 3.1 mile route, but got confused. Finally figured part of it out. It is largely an off-road event. Ended up doing 4 miles there. No side stitch. Where was this effort on yesterday's tri? Oh well, can't change the past. Learned something and I had my pepsi this AM> Not going to miss that again!

This will be my first OWS tri. Tracy, looking ofrward to meeting you there.

Doug

2009-06-29 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
To all the racers from this weekend...simply a big WOW from me.  You all really inspire me to get out and work.  I was dreading my run workout tonight, but now, after reading about your races, it's simply another step in the journey to a new lifestyle.

Thanks for the swim advice.  I felt better yet in the pool today.  But at least once on every 50 I would lose focus, not turn, and BAM - mouth full of water.  But when I focused on the tips you all provided I felt awesome.  What really shocked me was I really tried to slow down in order to simply make it easier and more relaxed.  My times improved by 8-10 seconds per 100.  Thank you again.

Suzy, are you saying you layed the bike down?  I played chicken with a 1-ton dodge last night.  Fortunately I won.  He was completely on the wrong side of the road going thru some S-turns. 

Rob, way to get back in the game.  Definite goals always help.

Barry, look at the positive side of the stomach bug...great ab workout!Laughing

And I can't get to Doug's RR for some reason.  I'm being told to login, but I am already logged in.
2009-06-29 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
wowsers!  great racing everyone.  It's amazing how many people placed in their ag..  We should maybe rename our group to something like "We post and we medal."

My weekend was pretty uneventful training wise.  My inlaws and mother were in town for my son's 2nd birthday party.  Happy to report that my wife and I had a PR on my son's party.  16 2 yr olds and a few 4-6 year olds and many nannies and parents at our house..  I think we had around 50 people in our apt.  My son got some really cool toys, I often think I wish we had those toys growing up..  I guess I can play with them now!  I really didn't get to train.  My wife and I did Habitat for Humanity on Sat, we insulated and hung drywall (tons of fun using the drill gun).  I tried going for a ride on Sunday but had a flat on the upper loop of Central Park and didn't have a sare tube so i ended-up walking to a subway station and having people ask me why I just don't ride to were I'm going..  I did have several compliments on my bike.. 
2009-06-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2249226

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

KauaiShan - 2009-06-28 10:30 PM Well, I must have the Tri bug because my first race was yesterday and I woke up this morning thinking about strategy and training for the next one.  It's funny because I woke up in the middle of the night last night and said "there is no possible way I did the swim in under 6 minutes" (like the posted results said). Sure enough, we got updated results this morning and they hadn't added the 4 minutes wave difference into our results. So, I still had 2nd in my division but actually did the swim in 9 minutes.  Honestly, I feel better about that result because it reflects what my body was telling me during the swim.

I do have a question about training. I am starting a new BT training plan and am thinking about using an Oly plan even through I only have sprints for the rest of the summer (and the swim portion of an Oly relay team).  When I used the Sprint training plan, I was always going longer than the suggested workouts. Is there a downside to using an Oly plan if I am just racing Sprints?

Oh yeah..new avatar since I actually have a picture of me in a race now

Nice avatar!  I would see no problem with the Oly plan.  I think I am set to begin using one at the end of the month to help me get ready for an oly in late Sept.  I think I am going to go with the 8 week plan...

-Andy

2009-06-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2250722

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-06-29 12:33 PM To all the racers from this weekend...simply a big WOW from me.  You all really inspire me to get out and work.  I was dreading my run workout tonight, but now, after reading about your races, it's simply another step in the journey to a new lifestyle.

Thanks for the swim advice.  I felt better yet in the pool today.  But at least once on every 50 I would lose focus, not turn, and BAM - mouth full of water.  But when I focused on the tips you all provided I felt awesome.  What really shocked me was I really tried to slow down in order to simply make it easier and more relaxed.  My times improved by 8-10 seconds per 100.  Thank you again.

Suzy, are you saying you layed the bike down?  I played chicken with a 1-ton dodge last night.  Fortunately I won.  He was completely on the wrong side of the road going thru some S-turns. 

And I can't get to Doug's RR for some reason.  I'm being told to login, but I am already logged in.

I had that issue too with Doug's RR...so I went the long way in. Clicked races under his note, and clicked in that way.
And good job on the swim. I found it is one of those activites that is completely mental. Slow it down to go faster. It's like golf right? Once you just RELAX and forget about things it becomes way easier. When you pi$$ed off after 3 putting and get to the next tee box, pull out the driver and think " I am going to hit this ball so friggin' hard and far." That always works doesn't it?Wink
2009-06-29 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2250815

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
TrevorC - 2009-06-29 3:02 PM Once you just RELAX and forget about things it becomes way easier. When you pi$$ed off after 3 putting and get to the next tee box, pull out the driver and think " I am going to hit this ball so friggin' hard and far." That always works doesn't it?Wink

I don't know what you're talking about - getting pissed always works out for me .  I guess when you're as good as me emotions become null and void on the course.  Tongue out  But seriously, I know exactly what you're saying.
I got into Doug's RR the long way too.

Stan, awesome job on the Habitat.  I hate insulation and drywall though.  I always show up for the first couple days and do the rough framing and try to return to do the finish work.  Hell when I finished our basement (1700 sq ft) I did every last thing except the drywall and insulation.  Framed it, wired it, plumbed it, painted, put the cieling up, set the cabinets and fixtures, but I would NOT drywall.  Some things, IMO, are not worth doing yourself.  Either way I'm a big fan of Habitat.

2009-06-29 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2250722

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BigReub - 2009-06-29 1:33 PM To all the racers from this weekend...simply a big WOW from me.  You all really inspire me to get out and work.  I was dreading my run workout tonight, but now, after reading about your races, it's simply another step in the journey to a new lifestyle.

Oh yeah.  Crosswinds were howling at around 30mph, I was in the aerobars I had installed the night before (mistake #1), and my invisiline drink bottle was causing my bike to sway.  Next thing I knew, BOOM and a slide, clipped in and stuck.  A guy in a DODGE RAM pulled up along side me, smiled and said "if I only had a dollar....".  Nothing broken, just scratched up and bloody.  The rest of the ride was fine and today no issues.  Damn aerobars!
2009-06-29 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Suzy:

Glad that was all that happened! In early April I rode the road course for a local Olympic on my road bike. The crosswind were some of the strongest I have ever been in. I was holding on for dear life trying to keep on the road and that wasn't even on the aerobars. It's kind of like clipless pedals. When I first tried them I rode on grass so if I fell I would minimize any injury. Wait for a calm day with good visibility to get accustomed to your aerobars.

Sorry about the race link. Somedays I am BT-challanged! Here is a better (I hope) link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=166644&posts=6&start=1

Doug
2009-06-29 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I upgraded my membership and selected an Olympic plan. Since my Olympic is not until 10/10, I have 3 weeks before the plan kicks in. I have a Sprint in 2 weeks so I plan on training for free-form like I have been training to date. I am thinking of doing another sprint 1.5 hrs away in Roxboro, NC. It is near the VA border. The cost is only $20, and I figure I can treat it like a training day. Any thoughts?
2009-06-29 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
OK.  I have some RR and MG reading to get caught up on but after a quick glance. 

SUZY...glad you are ok but looks like you need a bike wrecking coach because that is not how you do it. 

Doug.  cool your son did that, but even cooler that his dad raised him to do it that way. props to to you.

Am I a cheese ball for sitting here typing up my rr w/ my medal around my neck? YES.  If I saw me in a bar I'd kick my a$$. 
Man, I finally got a chance to really look at my results from yesterday.  I had fun but damn I'm slow. 

I forgot to tell you guys too, I hit my goal race weight of 230 last Thursday.  Down from 275 at the end of last august.

Buffalo Springs Race Report
2009-06-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2251372

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-29 4:34 PM OK.  I have some RR and MG reading to get caught up on but after a quick glance. 

SUZY...glad you are ok but looks like you need a bike wrecking coach because that is not how you do it. 

Doug.  cool your son did that, but even cooler that his dad raised him to do it that way. props to to you.

Am I a cheese ball for sitting here typing up my rr w/ my medal around my neck? YES.  If I saw me in a bar I'd kick my a$$. 
Man, I finally got a chance to really look at my results from yesterday.  I had fun but damn I'm slow. 

I forgot to tell you guys too, I hit my goal race weight of 230 last Thursday.  Down from 275 at the end of last august.

Fast or slow - either way we are all damn proud of you John!  HIM is no easy feat.  Congrats on the weight too - I know what a battle it can be!  I will read your RR tonight at home so I can savor it!

2009-06-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2251223

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-06-29 3:42 PM I upgraded my membership and selected an Olympic plan. Since my Olympic is not until 10/10, I have 3 weeks before the plan kicks in. I have a Sprint in 2 weeks so I plan on training for free-form like I have been training to date. I am thinking of doing another sprint 1.5 hrs away in Roxboro, NC. It is near the VA border. The cost is only $20, and I figure I can treat it like a training day. Any thoughts?

BT UPGRADE:  That's right Doug, drink the Kool-Aid...  All the cool kids are doing it

Plan:  Sounds a lot like what I am doing.  Just working on run and swim until olympic plan kicks off in three weeks... that and a little century ride with John...

Edited by ashort33 2009-06-29 5:11 PM
2009-06-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2251467

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-06-29 5:09 PM

DougRob - 2009-06-29 3:42 PM I upgraded my membership and selected an Olympic plan. Since my Olympic is not until 10/10, I have 3 weeks before the plan kicks in. I have a Sprint in 2 weeks so I plan on training for free-form like I have been training to date. I am thinking of doing another sprint 1.5 hrs away in Roxboro, NC. It is near the VA border. The cost is only $20, and I figure I can treat it like a training day. Any thoughts?

BT UPGRADE:  That's right Doug, drink the Kool-Aid...  All the cool kids are doing it

Plan:  Sounds a lot like what I am doing.  Just working on run and swim until olympic plan kicks off in three weeks... that and a little century ride with John...

that's 10 miles right?
2009-06-29 5:45 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-29 4:34 PM OK.  I have some RR and MG reading to get caught up on but after a quick glance. 

Dude, that is AWESOME! What did you weigh after the 1/2 IM? Laughing For first time at that distance in that heat, you did awesome.

Why do all of use downplay our accomplishments? Stop it.

Edited by DougRob 2009-06-29 6:32 PM
2009-06-29 6:08 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-29 5:34 PM OK.  I have some RR and MG reading to get caught up on but after a quick glance. 

Now you should change your name to fattyfatnotsofatCool
2009-06-29 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2251587

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-06-29 6:08 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-29 5:34 PM OK.  I have some RR and MG reading to get caught up on but after a quick glance. 

Now you should change your name to fattyfatnotsofatCool

I like that.

2009-06-29 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2251668

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
My race report is up, take it with a grain of salt, I am never happy with my race.

Swim, not sure what happened, should be faster.
Bike was kind of a joke IMO, too crowded and too many people going 20 when I was going 40 all in one lane of traffic. 
Run, meh, sub 9:00/miles but need to drop a minute or two off my time to be competitive.

I did meet a couple of goals, started swim in middle, and most importantly didn't spaz out in T1, still slow due to me putting on garmin and socks but better than I have been doing lately.

From here I need to get back on a real training plan.  Going to use one of the olympic plans, substitute coached runs for plan runs, maybe modify the bike portion to work on getting more "pop" on hills and sprints to hopefully be able to hang in the bike races I am going to do.

For the swim just keep it going, I contacted my coach a couple weeks ago and she hasn't gotten back, not many options I like here so I guess I will have to hound her until she gets back with me.

2009-06-29 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2251762

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

dalessit - 2009-06-29 8:29 PM My race report is up, take it with a grain of salt, I am never happy with my race.

Swim, not sure what happened, should be faster.
Bike was kind of a joke IMO, too crowded and too many people going 20 when I was going 40 all in one lane of traffic. 
Run, meh, sub 9:00/miles but need to drop a minute or two off my time to be competitive.

I did meet a couple of goals, started swim in middle, and most importantly didn't spaz out in T1, still slow due to me putting on garmin and socks but better than I have been doing lately.

From here I need to get back on a real training plan.  Going to use one of the olympic plans, substitute coached runs for plan runs, maybe modify the bike portion to work on getting more "pop" on hills and sprints to hopefully be able to hang in the bike races I am going to do.

For the swim just keep it going, I contacted my coach a couple weeks ago and she hasn't gotten back, not many options I like here so I guess I will have to hound her until she gets back with me.

Still a good race Tony.

2009-06-29 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey Suzy  I hope you are OK. Nothing broken?? Probably not, you're so close to the ground gravity can't pull you down very fast.    Just yankin your chain.

2009-06-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2250901

User image

Extreme Veteran
BigReub - 2009-06-29 3:20 PM
TrevorC - 2009-06-29 3:02 PM Once you just RELAX and forget about things it becomes way easier. When you pi$$ed off after 3 putting and get to the next tee box, pull out the driver and think " I am going to hit this ball so friggin' hard and far." That always works doesn't it?Wink

I don't know what you're talking about - getting pissed always works out for me .  I guess when you're as good as me emotions become null and void on the course.  Tongue out  But seriously, I know exactly what you're saying.
I got into Doug's RR the long way too.

Stan, awesome job on the Habitat.  I hate insulation and drywall though.  I always show up for the first couple days and do the rough framing and try to return to do the finish work.  Hell when I finished our basement (1700 sq ft) I did every last thing except the drywall and insulation.  Framed it, wired it, plumbed it, painted, put the cieling up, set the cabinets and fixtures, but I would NOT drywall.  Some things, IMO, are not worth doing yourself.  Either way I'm a big fan of Habitat.

they're a great organization, it's amazing how many people want to volunteer.  We tried signing-up a few times during the yr and we were put on a waiting list or flat out denied.  We try to either do Habitat or Special Olympics every yr.  They're both great organizations and a ton of fun to do.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383