BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-29 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Question: If you decide to purchase race pictures, what kind of pics do you get? Digital, high res, low res, huh?

I saw my pics there so-so. Am I really that big? I need to drop another 15-25 lbs. Dang!

2009-06-29 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2251920

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-06-29 9:34 PM Question: If you decide to purchase race pictures, what kind of pics do you get? Digital, high res, low res, huh?

I saw my pics there so-so. Am I really that big? I need to drop another 15-25 lbs. Dang!

My wife bought a couple for me from my first Oly last year.  I wouldn't buy digital, they tend to be 40 bucks, what a ripoff.    Some races though are now offering low-res pics for use in blogs and such but none that I have raced in offered that yet.

2009-06-29 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Rob--you are a funny guy.  While I am low to the ground, I am also light so I skid for a very long time!  Seriously, I am totally fine. 

Doug--I am a sucker for a good photo.  Since most of mine stink, I rarely buy them, but when I do I get the digital.  Easy to upload and last a lifetime.

John--be proud of your race accomplishments.  Finishing a HIM is a HUGE deal. Didn't I tell you before we need to stop getting so wrapped up in time and comparing ourselves to others.  You did awesome.  Nice weightloss too.  I agree with Tony, the name has got to change!

Barry--I hope you feel better soon!  Being sick in the summertime stinks.

Later gators!
Suzy
2009-06-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2251929

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2009-06-29 8:38 PM
DougRob - 2009-06-29 9:34 PM Question: If you decide to purchase race pictures, what kind of pics do you get? Digital, high res, low res, huh?

My wife bought a couple for me from my first Oly last year.  I wouldn't buy digital, they tend to be 40 bucks, what a ripoff.    Some races though are now offering low-res pics for use in blogs and such but none that I have raced in offered that yet.

They do offer low res digital pics for $9.99. I want one as these are the first pics of me racing I have a chance to get, but they are lousy pics. I looked at other racers and they are bad too. Just bad positioning and angles. Who would want a pic of themselves looking at the ground as they were crouching out of the pool.
2009-06-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2251762

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-06-29 6:29 PM My race report is up, take it with a grain of salt, I am never happy with my race.

Swim, not sure what happened, should be faster.
Bike was kind of a joke IMO, too crowded and too many people going 20 when I was going 40 all in one lane of traffic. 
Run, meh, sub 9:00/miles but need to drop a minute or two off my time to be competitive.

I did meet a couple of goals, started swim in middle, and most importantly didn't spaz out in T1, still slow due to me putting on garmin and socks but better than I have been doing lately.

From here I need to get back on a real training plan.  Going to use one of the olympic plans, substitute coached runs for plan runs, maybe modify the bike portion to work on getting more "pop" on hills and sprints to hopefully be able to hang in the bike races I am going to do.

For the swim just keep it going, I contacted my coach a couple weeks ago and she hasn't gotten back, not many options I like here so I guess I will have to hound her until she gets back with me.

What are you doing when you say that? I have my garmin mounted on the bike already, and the quick release strap on my wrist for the swim. No issue with the wetsuit.....Looks funny empty on the wrist though.

Doug...I bought a pic from my 1st Tri..It wasnt the best pic, but it was A PIC FROM MY 1ST TRI....You only get one first time.
2009-06-29 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2251981

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-29 10:02 PM
dalessit - 2009-06-29 6:29 PM My race report is up, take it with a grain of salt, I am never happy with my race.

Bike was kind of a joke IMO, too crowded and too many people going 20 when I was going 40 all in one lane of traffic. 
Run, meh, sub 9:00/miles but need to drop a minute or two off my time to be competitive.

I did meet a couple of goals, started swim in middle, and most importantly didn't spaz out in T1, still slow due to me putting on garmin and socks but better than I have been doing lately.

From here I need to get back on a real training plan.  Going to use one of the olympic plans, substitute coached runs for plan runs, maybe modify the bike portion to work on getting more "pop" on hills and sprints to hopefully be able to hang in the bike races I am going to do.

For the swim just keep it going, I contacted my coach a couple weeks ago and she hasn't gotten back, not many options I like here so I guess I will have to hound her until she gets back with me.

What are you doing when you say that? I have my garmin mounted on the bike already, and the quick release strap on my wrist for the swim. No issue with the wetsuit.....Looks funny empty on the wrist though.

Doug...I bought a pic from my 1st Tri..It wasnt the best pic, but it was A PIC FROM MY 1ST TRI....You only get one first time.

I have it on and in my helmet when I get out of the water,  Don't really need it for bike just for run but I put it on then,  probably should get the quick release thing since I am just using the regular strap.  Doesn't take that long but all these little things add up.

2009-06-29 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2250544

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-06-29 12:50 PM Nice races EVERYONE!  

My family and I have been passing around the stomach bug the last few days, so I am recouperating the next day or so.  After a day of throwing up, it may take a day or so to get the desire to get back at it. 

That is completely understandable.  I feel the same after a few too many beers...

2009-06-29 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2249981

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-06-29 10:21 AM
ryanp100 - 2009-06-29 10:27 AM
dalessit - 2009-06-29 6:30 AM Very good price on Specialized tri-spoke on e-bay, Specialized sold the design to HED a long time ago so these wheels have obviously been around the block a few times but since they are carbon tri-spokes they don't go out of true unless they started there.

See any reason why I shouldn't get it?  I would prefer a 50MM wheel so I could share it with my road bike but for the price it is currently going for <200 bucks right now I think it might be worth it.
Hi there, These are pretty nice wheels. A friend of mine runs these on his Kestrel and likes them a lot. As you mentioned, they're never going to go out of true. Obviously, if it has been mistreated, it'll have some hop to it, but really, it should be rather bombproof. Lance and the Posties ran these for a number of years at the TdF. For ~$200, that's a very decent price. I don't know how much of an aero weenie you are, but there are a few studies that show a negative interaction between these wheels and certain forks based on the airflow over the blades of the wheel: something about the way the air gets "squeezed" (um, clearly that's the technical term...) as the wheel passes through the fork. But I think you're talking fractions of a second over 40k. I'd throw down on it if you can get it for that price! ADDITION: Tracy brings up good points: I'm assuming this is a clincher, yes? I find it difficult to recommend tubulars to any triathletes. Yes they're lighter, but they're also far more expensive to change a flat, require more skill to mount, and tend to have (very slightly) worse rolling resistance. Tubulars are great for the TdF when you have a support car to quickly swap them out, but otherwise... just watching Normann's meltdown at Kona 2005 ("another flaht fookin tie-yar!") shows that in order to get that nice RR, you need to really glue those suckers down, and that makes them difficult to remove. All in all, unless you've got a nice tire sponsor to give you new $85 tires for your occasional flat, I'd roll with clinchers. If you want to save some more watts, run latex tubes rather than butyl... send me an email if you'd like more thoughts on that... SECOND ADDITION:...LOL, not worth double the price!

Oh yeah clinchers all the way for me, Tubulars might be faster if they are glued properly but gluing it properly makes it very difficult to remove.  Glad they went for 2x the price, since I was looking for a wheel that could be used on both bikes.

Agree on the latex tubes, run them all the time.

Also, signing up for my first road race next Wednesday.  Well it's a practice race anyways.  Volunteering at our race this weekend really made me want to get out and try it. 

They run them every Wednesday, it's a "practice" race but when you put a group of guys out there, race is race. Main thing for me is it's not a technical course so less things to worry about.

http://www.route1velo.com/GreenbeltInfo.asp

why is everything backwards in cycling?  Clipless pedal are the ones you clip into.  Tubular tires are the ones without the tubes, etc.  It's like a grand conspiracy...

2009-06-29 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2250731

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

trying1 - 2009-06-29 1:35 PM wowsers!  great racing everyone.  It's amazing how many people placed in their ag..  We should maybe rename our group to something like "We post and we medal."

My weekend was pretty uneventful training wise.  My inlaws and mother were in town for my son's 2nd birthday party.  Happy to report that my wife and I had a PR on my son's party.  16 2 yr olds and a few 4-6 year olds and many nannies and parents at our house..  I think we had around 50 people in our apt.  My son got some really cool toys, I often think I wish we had those toys growing up..  I guess I can play with them now!  I really didn't get to train.  My wife and I did Habitat for Humanity on Sat, we insulated and hung drywall (tons of fun using the drill gun).  I tried going for a ride on Sunday but had a flat on the upper loop of Central Park and didn't have a sare tube so i ended-up walking to a subway station and having people ask me why I just don't ride to were I'm going..  I did have several compliments on my bike.. 

Family is most important and Habitat for Humanity is a very worthy reason to miss a workout! 

Very funny about carrying the bike throught the subway. 

2009-06-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2251490

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-29 5:16 PM
ashort33 - 2009-06-29 5:09 PM

DougRob - 2009-06-29 3:42 PM I upgraded my membership and selected an Olympic plan. Since my Olympic is not until 10/10, I have 3 weeks before the plan kicks in. I have a Sprint in 2 weeks so I plan on training for free-form like I have been training to date. I am thinking of doing another sprint 1.5 hrs away in Roxboro, NC. It is near the VA border. The cost is only $20, and I figure I can treat it like a training day. Any thoughts?

BT UPGRADE:  That's right Doug, drink the Kool-Aid...  All the cool kids are doing it

Plan:  Sounds a lot like what I am doing.  Just working on run and swim until olympic plan kicks off in three weeks... that and a little century ride with John...

that's 10 miles right?

Sure, if that makes you feel better about it!  Good news though, I think they allow you to wear your BS medal throughout the ride...

2009-06-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2252011

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-06-29 8:14 PM

I have it on and in my helmet when I get out of the water,  Don't really need it for bike just for run but I put it on then,  probably should get the quick release thing since I am just using the regular strap.  Doesn't take that long but all these little things add up.

But if you're not going to use it for the bike, no point getting that quick release really. Other than I guess you can swim with the band on and clip the unit on after the swim or bike I guess??
Feels like just last week you were at 3000 posts!

2009-06-29 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2252043

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-29 10:31 PM
dalessit - 2009-06-29 8:14 PM

But if you're not going to use it for the bike, no point getting that quick release really. Other than I guess you can swim with the band on and clip the unit on after the swim or bike I guess??
Feels like just last week you were at 3000 posts!

weren't you at 10 posts just last week?
2009-06-29 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2251966

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-06-29 8:55 PM
dalessit - 2009-06-29 8:38 PM

They do offer low res digital pics for $9.99. I want one as these are the first pics of me racing I have a chance to get, but they are lousy pics. I looked at other racers and they are bad too. Just bad positioning and angles. Who would want a pic of themselves looking at the ground as they were crouching out of the pool.

One of the local tri photographers down here is cheaper on the digital than the prints.  $15 for the first, $5 for each one after that.  I think that is good pricing strategy that encourages people to buy something.  The other local photographer wants $40 for the digital and packages start at like $25.  He doesn't get my money...

BTW, nice new avatar Doug!

2009-06-30 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2252151

User image

Champion
FYI, got this in the mail

www.trisports.com 15% off coupon

NEWEB-E coupon is valid on regularly priced items excluding certain manufacturers products such as Zipp, HED, Garmin Forerunner and all bikes. Discount does not apply towards previously purchased merchandise or in conjunction with any other offers or discounts. Offer expires 11:59pm PST on July 1st, 2009

Also ordered my first infinit batch, plenty of free shipping coupons out there if you search.

2009-06-30 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I'm trying to get caught up here, but just wanted to say a quick congrats to everyone who raced this weekend.  It sounds like everyone had a amazing races from sprints to HIM's.  I can't wait to get a little more time and read everyone's RR.
2009-06-30 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2252496

User image

Champion
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-06-30 8:36 AM I'm trying to get caught up here, but just wanted to say a quick congrats to everyone who raced this weekend.  It sounds like everyone had a amazing races from sprints to HIM's.  I can't wait to get a little more time and read everyone's RR.

Make sure you read my post where I said I shot a 73 on Friday...Laughing

2009-06-30 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
OK.  Its officially official.  Doug is here by awarded this weeks SWBKRUN MG fiercest competitor. 

From his RR:

"Got up at 4AM. Ate some ceral and a banana. PAcked up stuff and drove to the site. First one to set up bike. Rack was closest to the exit. Took the end spot."

I love reading in his reports how he's always gunning for the next guy, passing this person, but now...he's even racing people to transition set up!  That's AWESOME!!!!

One minor concern though about your performance.  I'm going to have to come up and give you some bike lessons or something.  Maybe that will knock your time down a bit.  I should not be finishing a HIM two minutes slower than your Sprint.  And you were 63/416... Is 416 still out on the course?

Triathlon
- Sprint
Total Time = 7h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 63/416
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/

Seriously... you are an inspiration w/ your motivation on the course.  Like the new avatar.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-30 8:33 AM
2009-06-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2252620

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-30 8:32 AM OK.  Its officially official.  Doug is here by awarded this weeks SWBKRUN MG fiercest competitor. 

From his RR:

"Got up at 4AM. Ate some ceral and a banana. PAcked up stuff and drove to the site. First one to set up bike. Rack was closest to the exit. Took the end spot."

I love reading in his reports how he's always gunning for the next guy, passing this person, but now...he's even racing people to transition set up!  That's AWESOME!!!!

One minor concern though about your performance.  I'm going to have to come up and give you some bike lessons or something.  Maybe that will knock your time down a bit.  I should not be finishing a HIM two minutes slower than your Sprint.  And you were 63/416... Is 416 still out on the course?

Triathlon
- Sprint
Total Time = 7h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 63/416
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/

Seriously... you are an inspiration w/ your motivation on the course.  Like the new avatar.

Oops. Corrected the time to 1:09:37. Yoy're the only one to notice that. LOL! Hey I have the best T0 time of anyone on BT! You are seriously deranged, and I mean that in a good way. I have trouble imagining things getting you down even during the hardest moments. BTW: Did it rain during your HIM? I thought I read that somewhere.

The family is leaving for Myrtle beach within the hour, while we are taking a computer, I might not get back on until thursday. Good training everyone! Tony good luck on the road race!

Doug
2009-06-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2252620

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-30 9:32 AM OK.  Its officially official.  Doug is here by awarded this weeks SWBKRUN MG fiercest competitor. 

From his RR:

Triathlon
- Sprint
Total Time = 7h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 63/416
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/

For some reason I was still seeing his mug-shot looking picture, had to shift-refresh to clear out the cache to see the new picture, Nice avatar.
2009-06-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2252659

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-06-30 8:44 AM 
Oops. Corrected the time to 1:09:37. Yoy're the only one to notice that. LOL! Hey I have the best T0 time of anyone on BT! You are seriously deranged, and I mean that in a good way. I have trouble imagining things getting you down even during the hardest moments. BTW: Did it rain during your HIM? I thought I read that somewhere.

Doug

Yes it rained on the course but not where I was.   The pro's got it.  We had wet roads and soaked transition.  hmmm forgot to mention that in my RR.

Have a blast in Myrtle beach

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-30 8:52 AM
2009-06-30 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

All of you are such an inspiration to me.  I draw on ya'lls strength when I am out training.  This morning, for instance.  For the past month, I have been running consistently, but seem to have had a mental block about distance and usually found myself doing walk breaks before I got to a 1.75 miles.  I know it was mental and I would just quit running and walk becasue I knew I could.  I was ready for a break-through. 

As I was running this morning, I was thinking about all the race reports and posts from this weekend and the mental and physical effort you all put into it.  John, running a half marathon up and down canyon walls in the heat in a HIM, Doug working through a side stitch, Suzy getting blown off her bike and getting back up, Tony not spazing in T1, BigReub and his swimming - everyone, everyday.  So I gave myself permission to quit on the run again - just not today!  I am happy to report that I had a run breakthrough and ran a personal best 2.75 miles without a walk break and know that I can do more next week and the week after. 

Thanks for being there for me!  You all are my training family!  SWBKRUN MG is the best!

-Andy

2009-06-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2252712

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
ashort33 - 2009-06-30 9:03 AM

All of you are such an inspiration to me.  I draw on ya'lls strength when I am out training.  This morning, for instance.  For the past month, I have been running consistently, but seem to have had a mental block about distance and usually found myself doing walk breaks before I got to a 1.75 miles.  I know it was mental and I would just quit running and walk becasue I knew I could.  I was ready for a break-through. 

As I was running this morning, I was thinking about all the race reports and posts from this weekend and the mental and physical effort you all put into it.  John, running a half marathon up and down canyon walls in the heat in a HIM, Doug working through a side stitch, Suzy getting blown off her bike and getting back up, Tony not spazing in T1, BigReub and his swimming - everyone, everyday.  So I gave myself permission to quit on the run again - just not today!  I am happy to report that I had a run breakthrough and ran a personal best 2.75 miles without a walk break and know that I can do more next week and the week after. 

Thanks for being there for me!  You all are my training family!  SWBKRUN MG is the best!

-Andy

Way to go Andy...You Da MAN!  It gets easier every day.  (well, not really)
2009-06-30 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
ashort33 - 2009-06-30 7:03 AM
I am happy to report that I had a run breakthrough and ran a personal best 2.75 miles without a walk break and know that I can do more next week and the week after.

That's AWESOME! (have to type in all caps in lieu of Steve...) Build on that, each run, week after week, and keep that feeling. I'm going to think about this on my run today. You've TOTALLY revved me up!
2009-06-30 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Good job there Andy!  Way to get through it!!!
2009-06-30 9:40 AM

User image

Great job Andy.  The sky is the limit now....keep it up (a little at a time)!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383