of 171

2011-03-09 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3391142

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
dcon - 2011-03-09 8:33 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-03-09 12:57 PM

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=244295&posts=1#M3389984

If you guys know anything about knee injuries, please check this out for me!  It's a bit of a growing concern for me since I've never had a knee injury before.  Thanks!

I disagree with the response saying ITB.  It could be patellar tendonitis as Suzy mentioned, but it could also just be tight muscles.    If it is below the kneecap, my experience says adductors or vastus medialus (the quad muscle closest to the inside of your thigh).   This is an area I have problems with when I ride too hard while also ramping up my running.  

Take a look at this for the adductors:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-7-adductors/

and this one for the vastus medialus (she labels it VMO on the pictures).  I'll bet on this one.  It is probably really tight.  Have your husband use both hands to work that whole adductor/quad area.  If it is tight, repeat after your bike rides and runs.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-6-quads/

As usual GREAT info... my isuse stems from the VMO being non existant on my left leg. My MCL injury allow other muscles to get larger and the VMO to get lazy and non existant. Allowed my lower leg to keep rotating while running all from this VMO area causing all the other muscles that are pointed out in these getting larger, tighter and pulling harder on areas...

Great information.... some of this is exactly what I am going through... .

And her Pain is exactly how all of this started for me too...

Edited by Techdiver 2011-03-09 9:02 PM

2011-03-09 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3389924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

kkcbelle - 2011-03-09 8:29 AM So sad... Sally Meyerhoff, Olympic marathon hopeful was killed in a cycling accident. Be careful out there, always.

That is really to bad I read the article and it said she ran the stop sign and a truck hit her. I hate those preventable accidents. AS kkcbelle said stay safe

2011-03-10 6:08 AM
in reply to: #3391220

User image

Master
Maryland
fowlmood - 2011-03-09 11:27 PM

kkcbelle - 2011-03-09 8:29 AM So sad... Sally Meyerhoff, Olympic marathon hopeful was killed in a cycling accident. Be careful out there, always.

That is really to bad I read the article and it said she ran the stop sign and a truck hit her. I hate those preventable accidents. AS kkcbelle said stay safe

Another very sad story...be careful when training my friends...have a great day and good luck with the weekend workouts!

2011-03-10 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3389993

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
SoccerGK - 2011-03-09 10:57 AM

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=244295&posts=1#M3389984

If you guys know anything about knee injuries, please check this out for me!  It's a bit of a growing concern for me since I've never had a knee injury before.  Thanks!

Looks like you got some good feedback already. I think the best is to see a doctor about it and get the proper diagnosis.
2011-03-10 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
I got in a couple of  good workouts on Monday. Tuesday I went to the dentist who told me I have a broken root on one of my front and it would have to come out. Yesterday morning I had the dental surgery. Dentist had to take the tooth out in pieces and then scrape any infection from the bone. Had some bone degeneration so he had to put in some filler to grow and suture some of my gums. Then put a temp filler in for the blank spot where my tooth was.  Not much fun and still a little sore this am. So no strenuous workouts until Friday at the earliest.
Having said that no racing this weekend.. not that I was planning any.
Suzy glad you got the snow this time

Edited by Redknight 2011-03-10 6:50 AM
2011-03-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3391342

User image

Master

Redknight - 2011-03-10 4:48 AM I got in a couple of  good workouts on Monday. Tuesday I went to the dentist who told me I have a broken root on one of my front and it would have to come out. Yesterday morning I had the dental surgery. Dentist had to take the tooth out in pieces and then scrape any infection from the bone. Had some bone degeneration so he had to put in some filler to grow and suture some of my gums. Then put a temp filler in for the blank spot where my tooth was.  Not much fun and still a little sore this am. So no strenuous workouts until Friday at the earliest.

Ick and ouch!! Heal up! I had to go through that with a tooth -- the root cracked -- only when the took it out the tooth was all in one piece, thankfully. I got to bring the tooth home from the dentist for show-and-tell with the kiddos, both of what a tooth really looks like (root and all!) and what a cracked root looks like. I got an implant to replace the tooth and it's been good to go ever since. (Don't even get me started talking about my front tooth that I broke when falling off a horse 20 some-odd years back...)

Can I just whine a bit that I'm dreading daylight savings time this weekend? I mean, I love the extra hour of daylight and all, but dayum, I am not getting enough sleep these days to lose an hour!!! Whine whine whine. OK, there, I feel better. Thanks.

2011-03-10 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I think I'm going to try out either a patella band or some pre-wrap around it for my next run.  I think I'm going to skip my run tomorrow to give it a couple extra days of healing time, too.  That'll give my knee 4 days off from running, and I'll go from there.  I'm not big into rushing to the doctor about anything so I'll do what I can for now.  If this doesn't work, then I'll go to a doctor because I will not miss my HM or HIM this summer, no matter what!
2011-03-10 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

anyone here use pandora

we got a treadmill a month or so ago to help with the odd hours of training, both of us not just me.  last night was my first run on it, short 15 min run.   i'm flying solo this week so i'm not really comfortable plugging the ipod into my ears.  out of curiosity i plugged my phone into the speakers on the thing and fired up pandora... it worked!!!  

so, if you have a treadmill with speakers and a 3.5 mm jack (standard ipod) and pandora it might alleviate some of the boredom.

2011-03-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3391703

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kkcbelle - 2011-03-10 9:28 AM

Redknight - 2011-03-10 4:48 AM I got in a couple of  good workouts on Monday. Tuesday I went to the dentist who told me I have a broken root on one of my front and it would have to come out. Yesterday morning I had the dental surgery. Dentist had to take the tooth out in pieces and then scrape any infection from the bone. Had some bone degeneration so he had to put in some filler to grow and suture some of my gums. Then put a temp filler in for the blank spot where my tooth was.  Not much fun and still a little sore this am. So no strenuous workouts until Friday at the earliest.

Ick and ouch!! Heal up! I had to go through that with a tooth -- the root cracked -- only when the took it out the tooth was all in one piece, thankfully. I got to bring the tooth home from the dentist for show-and-tell with the kiddos, both of what a tooth really looks like (root and all!) and what a cracked root looks like. I got an implant to replace the tooth and it's been good to go ever since. (Don't even get me started talking about my front tooth that I broke when falling off a horse 20 some-odd years back...)

Can I just whine a bit that I'm dreading daylight savings time this weekend? I mean, I love the extra hour of daylight and all, but dayum, I am not getting enough sleep these days to lose an hour!!! Whine whine whine. OK, there, I feel better. Thanks.

I have all sorts of teeth problems, too!  When I was about 8, I knocked my 2 front teeth up into my gums and one of them got anklosed (sp?) to the bone, so it looked like I didn't have a front tooth since it was basically attached to my jaw.  I had to get it removed, then get a bone graph because there wasn't enough bone to support an implant in my jaw, and then I got the implant!  It's a never ending process, I think...  Take it easy, too!  I know how awful you can feel after having that kind of stuff done.  Feel better!

2011-03-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3391750

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 10:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

we got a treadmill a month or so ago to help with the odd hours of training, both of us not just me.  last night was my first run on it, short 15 min run.   i'm flying solo this week so i'm not really comfortable plugging the ipod into my ears.  out of curiosity i plugged my phone into the speakers on the thing and fired up pandora... it worked!!!  

so, if you have a treadmill with speakers and a 3.5 mm jack (standard ipod) and pandora it might alleviate some of the boredom.

Does Pandora have to go on a cell phone? Can you load it to an Ipod Nano?

2011-03-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3391735

User image

Champion
marietta

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 10:50 AM I think I'm going to try out either a patella band or some pre-wrap around it for my next run.  I think I'm going to skip my run tomorrow to give it a couple extra days of healing time, too.  That'll give my knee 4 days off from running, and I'll go from there.  I'm not big into rushing to the doctor about anything so I'll do what I can for now.  If this doesn't work, then I'll go to a doctor because I will not miss my HM or HIM this summer, no matter what!

ice the heck out of that thing too.

2011-03-10 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 9:50 AM I think I'm going to try out either a patella band or some pre-wrap around it for my next run.  I think I'm going to skip my run tomorrow to give it a couple extra days of healing time, too.  That'll give my knee 4 days off from running, and I'll go from there.  I'm not big into rushing to the doctor about anything so I'll do what I can for now.  If this doesn't work, then I'll go to a doctor because I will not miss my HM or HIM this summer, no matter what!

Said with love and caring , you can use a band, ice and rest, but until you find the root cause of your problem, you're going to keep having issues.  You may heal the patellar only to find that something else bugs you because you are compensating.  The good news is you are young and will heal significantly faster than some of us old farts who have been experiencing problems.  Not suggesting you hit the doctor right away, just suggesting you sit back and diagnose why it happened in the first place.   Some of us in this group, wised up and stepped back to do core work, PT or yoga. Other's of us are still stumbling around.  Join the former group!

PS. I saw your post on orthotics.  Who told you to get them? a doctor?  I wore custom for years because I was told I needed them.  Turns out they were too restrictive for me.  I'm wearing Birkie Sports OTC and they've worked well.  If you do go the custom route make sure they mold your feet standing, not while you're flat on your back.  The pressure makes a difference to a good set.

2011-03-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3391770

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 10:01 AM

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 10:50 AM I think I'm going to try out either a patella band or some pre-wrap around it for my next run.  I think I'm going to skip my run tomorrow to give it a couple extra days of healing time, too.  That'll give my knee 4 days off from running, and I'll go from there.  I'm not big into rushing to the doctor about anything so I'll do what I can for now.  If this doesn't work, then I'll go to a doctor because I will not miss my HM or HIM this summer, no matter what!

Haha, this reminds me that I'm so cheap, I actually asked Ryan to see if he could bring any plastic or paper cups home from work to make ice cups out of because I don't want to have to buy any!  But yup, I will be doing this lots and lots.

And I don't use Pandora, but I do use Slacker Radio!  I LOVE it, even though I really only listen to it on long road trips or while getting ready for school.  I never really listen to music during workouts anymore. 

Try it out though, you might like it better than Pandora.

2011-03-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3391766

User image

Champion
marietta
Terps421 - 2011-03-10 11:00 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 10:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

Does Pandora have to go on a cell phone? Can you load it to an Ipod Nano?

not just on a cell, can go on the computer or itouch or stream it over your tv.   but i don't think the nano integration is there yet. 

2011-03-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3391789

User image

Champion
marietta
SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 11:07 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 10:01 AM

Haha, this reminds me that I'm so cheap, I actually asked Ryan to see if he could bring any plastic or paper cups home from work to make ice cups out of because I don't want to have to buy any!  But yup, I will be doing this lots and lots.

And I don't use Pandora, but I do use Slacker Radio!  I LOVE it, even though I really only listen to it on long road trips or while getting ready for school.  I never really listen to music during workouts anymore. 

Try it out though, you might like it better than Pandora.

will do.  sometimes the few adds the have get old.  spoiled by xm, i guess.  we have xm in the car and house as well.  its awesome.   the thing about pandora is the channels have seem to elimiate more of the "side b" songs than xm. 

2011-03-10 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Non SBR related question ahead: how do I deactivate apps in FaceBook?  I have this Iron App and I want to delete it so all my races aren't automatically posted weekly. Like who the he$$ wants to see that all the time?    HELP!

2011-03-10 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3391778

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-03-10 11:02 AM

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 9:50 AM I think I'm going to try out either a patella band or some pre-wrap around it for my next run.  I think I'm going to skip my run tomorrow to give it a couple extra days of healing time, too.  That'll give my knee 4 days off from running, and I'll go from there.  I'm not big into rushing to the doctor about anything so I'll do what I can for now.  If this doesn't work, then I'll go to a doctor because I will not miss my HM or HIM this summer, no matter what!

Said with love and caring , you can use a band, ice and rest, but until you find the root cause of your problem, you're going to keep having issues.  You may heal the patellar only to find that something else bugs you because you are compensating.  The good news is you are young and will heal significantly faster than some of us old farts who have been experiencing problems.  Not suggesting you hit the doctor right away, just suggesting you sit back and diagnose why it happened in the first place.   Some of us in this group, wised up and stepped back to do core work, PT or yoga. Other's of us are still stumbling around.  Join the former group!

PS. I saw your post on orthotics.  Who told you to get them? a doctor?  I wore custom for years because I was told I needed them.  Turns out they were too restrictive for me.  I'm wearing Birkie Sports OTC and they've worked well.  If you do go the custom route make sure they mold your feet standing, not while you're flat on your back.  The pressure makes a difference to a good set.

yeah.. sorry, in my post i was just suggesting to ice it.. i was by no means suggesting forgo the doc.  want to be clear about that.  i totally agree with that in bold... and the rest, of course.

don't want to get in trouble with the Principle... ya know!   :-)

2011-03-10 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 8:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

I have used my pandora quite a bit with my droid and even on my computer and really enjoy it. Sometimes even plug into my car stereo. haven't used it for running phone just a bit to bulky.

2011-03-10 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3391770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 9:01 AM

yep ice it and I have used one of the those straps/braces but prefer the tape. Doctor wouldn't be bad either better to fix it now than sideline you later or longer as the season goes on

Edited by fowlmood 2011-03-10 10:36 AM
2011-03-10 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

How many of you train with someone else or in a group and how many times or just go solo

Myself there is not a lot of people where I live that bike, swim, or run (but the running % is going up). So I have probably train 99% of the time by myself. Though yesterday I was able to run with someone and that was a refreshing relief seemed to put an extra step in my run.

2011-03-10 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran

I started developing knee pain in the begining of my runs this summer, nothing acute or sharp but I "felt" my knees and before I never felt them. It always goes away a few minutes into the run though. Before I cam off active duty I decided to go to the Physical Therapist and she gave me a routine that I have to do at least 3 times a week with a thera band to strengthen my hips. This has helped.

I also do my long runs with a patella band and they help alot, i do shorts runs without them to try and get my body to get stronger and not dependent on them. I plan on using Kineseo (spell check) tape on race days since I dont want to spend time taking on and off the bands.

They main thing that I got from my PT sessions was icing my knees. She would have me ice for 20 mins after each session and I felt great, so now I ice after every run and its amazing. I did splurge on some special ice knee wraps from http://www.gomoji.com/ ,i love them because I don't have to stay still or fuss with ice bags or packs and the surround my whole knee with coldness

2011-03-10 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3391868

User image

Veteran
fowlmood - 2011-03-10 10:39 AM

How many of you train with someone else or in a group and how many times or just go solo

Myself there is not a lot of people where I live that bike, swim, or run (but the running % is going up). So I have probably train 99% of the time by myself. Though yesterday I was able to run with someone and that was a refreshing relief seemed to put an extra step in my run.

So far I do speed workouts with a group of people in my tri club every wednesday, all my other workouts are solo. Starting the end of this month though I will be doing more group runs and bikes since my clubs workouts will be starting up, all swims will still be solo

The group long runs and bike rides if we are not leaving the park are more of a group of people training at the same time but not really together as I heard they tend to break off naturally by ability. Its just good to see other people which is why I love running in the park and seeing others running

2011-03-10 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I do a group swim wednesday AM for 1 hour. My coach runs it. I sometimes do a group run with strength stations on monday PM, also run by my coach. Everything else is solo. I may do some long sunday rides with others soon, and when the weather gets warmer I will join the open water swim group on friday AM.
2011-03-10 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
OK, fine, you guys win.  Suzy guilted me into it.  Undecided  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow after class.  Ugh, I hate doctors...
2011-03-10 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 9:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

Such a good daddy - making sure he can still hear his kiddos.  Not Tony and I, we hide out in the basement on our bikes and turn the volume up on itunes, slacker, netflix whatever so we can't hear the kiddos.  ;-)

I use Pandora on my phone at work w/o headphones.  They cracked down on streaming media so I have to find other sources of music and listening to the same CDs over and over gets old real quick.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171