Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-07-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4311983

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
kevinbe - 2012-07-15 2:48 AM

weird transition workout to wnd week 4 of the plan tomorrow.  Let me ask all you seasoned folks, how important is it to learn to jump on bike with shoes clipped in as opposed to simply puting shoes on, then clipping in?  Also, it seems a little easier, how important is it to run to pull foot out while finishing bike to transition into run, as opposed to popping out and removing on ground.

Thanks in advance for feedback.  It should shape my w/o tomorrow and overall race prep. 

Go PI-  You got this.

Well, I wouldn't call myself seasoned by any stretch, but I put my shoes on and take them off not on the bike.  I am not that fast that loosing the 30 seconds to do it the 'slow' way is going to make a difference!  I would think that if you are aiming for a podium finish it would be important to learn how to do.

PI out of the water in 40:23--no bike split posted yet.

ETA: Bike split of 3:29:52  Go PI!

Edited by bcraht 2012-07-15 1:16 PM

2012-07-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4312291

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
bcraht - 2012-07-15 11:07 PM

weird transition workout to wnd week 4 of the plan tomorrow.  Let me ask all you seasoned folks, how important is it to learn to jump on bike with shoes clipped in as opposed to simply puting shoes on, then clipping in?  Also, it seems a little easier, how important is it to run to pull foot out while finishing bike to transition into run, as opposed to popping out and removing on ground.

Thanks in advance for feedback.  It should shape my w/o tomorrow and overall race prep. 

Go PI-  You got this.

Well, I wouldn't call myself seasoned by any stretch, but I put my shoes on and take them off not on the bike.  I am not that fast that loosing the 30 seconds to do it the 'slow' way is going to make a difference!  I would think that if you are aiming for a podium finish it would be important to learn how to do.

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't figure it makes a huge difference for me just running up to shoes and puting them on then getting on bike.  I'll work it this way for first tri.  Transition workout here we come.

Those are really good times.  What's PI's bib #?

2012-07-15 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4312387

User image

Master
kevinbe - 2012-07-15 1:10 PM
bcraht - 2012-07-15 11:07 PM

Go PI-  You got this.

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't figure it makes a huge difference for me just running up to shoes and puting them on then getting on bike.  I'll work it this way for first tri.  Transition workout here we come.

Those are really good times.  What's PI's bib #?

355.  He's in now. way to go Ron!

2012-07-15 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4311983

User image

kevinbe - 2012-07-15 4:48 AM

Go PI-  You got this.

It's really not that hard to learn.  I did one race where I rubber banded the shoes into the horizontal position and then stepped in going out of transition.  I had practiced it once and it was pretty easy.  My shoes are specialized trivents which work well for that.  If you have regular bike shoes they might not work so well.  I usually don't bother with this do because I'm usually wave 2 so my rack is so close to the exit I just put the shoes on and run in them.  As far as finishing the bike, it's extremely easy to reach down, unstrap and as you're stopping you can just pull your feet out of the shoes.  It should save some time vs. running in bike shoes back to your rack, plus it's more comfortable than running in bike shoes.

2012-07-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Did my local Olympic race yesterday.  Time was 2:39:48.  Beat my previous best from last year by 9 minutes.  Paces were as follows: 2:06/100m on the swim, 21.35mph on the bike, and 8.17 min/mile on the run.  Swim pace was a little slower than I hoped, but the course may have been a bit long because we've had so little rain that the lake is low and we had a different route.  I was quite happy with the run.  My previous best pacing was 9:48 last year and my sprint distance pace last month was 8:45, so sustaining 8:17 was great.  Weather was great, overcast and it was below 80 degrees for the whole race.
2012-07-15 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4312833

User image

Master

mshawgo - 2012-07-15 7:36 PM Did my local Olympic race yesterday.  Time was 2:39:48.  Beat my previous best from last year by 9 minutes.  Paces were as follows: 2:06/100m on the swim, 21.35mph on the bike, and 8.17 min/mile on the run.  Swim pace was a little slower than I hoped, but the course may have been a bit long because we've had so little rain that the lake is low and we had a different route.  I was quite happy with the run.  My previous best pacing was 9:48 last year and my sprint distance pace last month was 8:45, so sustaining 8:17 was great.  Weather was great, overcast and it was below 80 degrees for the whole race.

Great job!  Those are great times.

2012-07-16 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hey guys! Can i join the fun chat? I certainly qualify as a beginner 1/2 Ironman DId my first HIM last year at Racine and had a VERY eventful day.  Now, 5 weeks (less!) out from Steelhead...  Would love the support of fellow crazies
2012-07-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4313096

User image

Master

Lyoshka - 2012-07-16 5:08 AM Hey guys! Can i join the fun chat? I certainly qualify as a beginner 1/2 Ironman DId my first HIM last year at Racine and had a VERY eventful day.  Now, 5 weeks (less!) out from Steelhead...  Would love the support of fellow crazies

Hey Lena, welcome! 

2012-07-16 1:08 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river

I  need an event to train for and some related input for it.

I did my first HIM on June 10, as my second tri I'd say it went pretty well, I finished in the "C-" part of my age group, good enough for me.

Training since June 10 has backed off sharply due to not having a "next event" to train for.   Steelhead HIM is August 19.   I've been doing approx. 50% of what I was doing leading up to my tri.

-   how much fitness have I lost in the past 5 weeks ?

-  how long would it take me to get back to where I was on June 10 in terms of fitness ?

-  other considerations ?

I"m travelling all this week, limited time, but would be able to  hit it hard for the 4 weeks leading up to Steelhead.

Thoughts ?

2012-07-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4314053

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Americanfatass - 2012-07-16 1:08 PM

I  need an event to train for and some related input for it.

I did my first HIM on June 10, as my second tri I'd say it went pretty well, I finished in the "C-" part of my age group, good enough for me.

Training since June 10 has backed off sharply due to not having a "next event" to train for.   Steelhead HIM is August 19.   I've been doing approx. 50% of what I was doing leading up to my tri.

-   how much fitness have I lost in the past 5 weeks ?

-  how long would it take me to get back to where I was on June 10 in terms of fitness ?

-  other considerations ?

I"m travelling all this week, limited time, but would be able to  hit it hard for the 4 weeks leading up to Steelhead.

Thoughts ?

realistically, you need those last couple of weeks before Steelhead to taper, so really, you will only have 2 weeks to hit it hard (if we aren't counting this week).  If you have been doing 50% of your training volume since June, you haven't lost a ton... sure, your time won't be as good as your June HIM, but if you go in with the mindset of having fun and just enjoying the race, why not?  This week you said you are traveling... are you able to do anything in the gym? If not, you could run at least, right?  Then hit it hard for the next couple of weeks, do a couple 3-4 hour rides with bricks, then back off for taper.

What was your race finish time in June? You'll have to adjust it down for Steelhead, just to be realistic, but no reason you can't enjoy the race...

At least that would be my thought process

I'm doing Steelhead, so would be great to see another BTer there! (so my opinion may be a little biased hehe)

2012-07-17 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Aaaaaaargh! Am about ready to just acknowledge my HIM quest is cursed and give up. Decided to take the bike out for an easy spin this PM just to check that all systems were go (on bike and me) before we head up to Washington on Thursday--only to have the gears and pedals lock every time I shifted into the big gear. This is after NOT RIDING the bike for ten days while on vacation. Figured it just needed to be cleaned or oiled or something, took it to the bike shop, they messed with a few cables and said it should be fine. Got about 100m down the road, jammed again. Back to the shop; they now said they needed to realign something; they did that, I rode off, 100m down the road, jammed again. Took it then to a second shop, which said the gearset is worn out and needs to be replaced. So now it is in the shop and won't be back till tomorrow afternoon. Not sure they actually have the cassette they need--they said they will get it from another shop if they don't.  Hope this is on the level and they aren't taking me for a ride, so to speak. But safety-wise I can't risk having the pedals/gears locking every time I shift into the big ring.

OMG at this point it is really too late to find a rental and have no idea if I could just ride my hybrid in the race. Anyone know if that's legal if it comes to that? It has MTB-style handlebars--don't know if that's a deal-breaker or not. First the original rental fall-through, then the snow for my first race, now this..... Beginning to wonder if maybe it's just not meant to be!

2012-07-17 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4316797

User image

Master
Hot Runner - 2012-07-17 4:09 PM

Aaaaaaargh! Am about ready to just acknowledge my HIM quest is cursed and give up. Decided to take the bike out for an easy spin this PM just to check that all systems were go (on bike and me) before we head up to Washington on Thursday--only to have the gears and pedals lock every time I shifted into the big gear. This is after NOT RIDING the bike for ten days while on vacation. Figured it just needed to be cleaned or oiled or something, took it to the bike shop, they messed with a few cables and said it should be fine. Got about 100m down the road, jammed again. Back to the shop; they now said they needed to realign something; they did that, I rode off, 100m down the road, jammed again. Took it then to a second shop, which said the gearset is worn out and needs to be replaced. So now it is in the shop and won't be back till tomorrow afternoon. Not sure they actually have the cassette they need--they said they will get it from another shop if they don't.  Hope this is on the level and they aren't taking me for a ride, so to speak. But safety-wise I can't risk having the pedals/gears locking every time I shift into the big ring.

OMG at this point it is really too late to find a rental and have no idea if I could just ride my hybrid in the race. Anyone know if that's legal if it comes to that? It has MTB-style handlebars--don't know if that's a deal-breaker or not. First the original rental fall-through, then the snow for my first race, now this..... Beginning to wonder if maybe it's just not meant to be!

VERY frustrating for you, sorry you are having to deal with all that.  It will just be that much sweeter when you cross the finish line! I would think that as long as the bike is safe and in working order, there wouldn't be any 'not-alloweds'.  Hopefully the second shop gets it worked out for you and you don't have to worry about it.  Hang in there!

2012-07-18 12:26 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think we have parallel fates.  I'm a little over a week out from my HIM natural disaster reload and I broke a spoke last week.  It cost me a whole week lost on my cycling before I could get it fixed.  I really, really hope you do well this weekend and break this curse.

2012-07-18 12:40 AM
in reply to: #4317214

User image

Elite
popsracer - 2012-07-18 12:26 AM

I think we have parallel fates.  I'm a little over a week out from my HIM natural disaster reload and I broke a spoke last week.  It cost me a whole week lost on my cycling before I could get it fixed.  I really, really hope you do well this weekend and break this curse.

I hope you both do really well in your upcoming events.  It's better for everything to go wrong now and not on race day (just ask Cadel Evans!)

Remember to post your race numbers and event so we can stalk track you.

2012-07-18 12:47 AM
in reply to: #4317214

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Well, Lake Stevens turned out to be Good, Bad and Ugly.  Ugly because I developed calf cramps half way through the swim that ended up affecting the whole day - and I've never had calf cramps while swimming before... ever.

Bad because the weather turned to a cold drizzle about the same time I got on the bike and two hours later I was shaking so bad I could hardly keep control on the twisting descents and sharp turns. Saw lots of crashes, was content to play it safe.  I passed tons of people on the climbs... but they passed me back on the descents.

But it was good because I had the opportunity to experience some adversity and learned some things about dealing with it.  And even though things weren't going well, I was surprised my swim and run times weren't nearly as awful as they felt.

My goal was sub-six hours, but I ended up at 6:23.  Not thrilled, but I'm happy because I know that my goal was definitely doable if things had gone a little differently.  Full race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=451424

2012-07-18 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Sigh.....maybe someday summer will arrive in the Pacific Northwest! While the rest of the country swelters, we freeze. I think we have had maybe 4 or 5 truly sunny days above 75 degrees here in Eugene. Good job PI for sticking with it--know all about the cold drizzle!  Still waiting for news about the bike. I e-mailed the RD to see if riding a hybrid is legal--my Bomber is a reliable bike and great climber (used it for the vacation rides), not bad on flats, though it sucks on downhills. Then again, so do I! 

On the plus side, I actually had a good race dream last night. Somehow I did this effortless race where everything went right, I finished in 5:30 and won a Cervelo. Was telling someone I couldn't believe I'd just done a HIM and didn't even feel tired or sore. Yeah, right! Woke up to.....more cold drizzle.

2012-07-18 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hot Runner - 2012-07-17 6:09 PM

that has got to be really frustrating! Sorry you are going through this... I agree, that finish line will be that much sweeter...

as far as doing the race with another bike..  i know you emailed them and I hope they will get back to you quickly, but I will say this.. I was reading people's comments after Racine, and apparently, there was a guy in flip flops on a bike (!!!!), and another guy on a MTB.  How in the world those two arrived at those solutions, I have no clue, but they were definitely racing.  So, I think you will be ok to go on a hybrid?  But of course, if you can double check with the race officials to be sure, that's be the best.

2012-07-18 11:40 AM

User image

Master
I'm 11 days out--had a great swim this am, feeling confident there, run will be fine, just have to worry about that darn bike ride in the middle!  HR, I hope your bike issues get worked out soon.  I hear you on the weather, although we have been much nicer up here in Vancouver the past few weeks. 
2012-07-18 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Okay, bikey has been repaired and is recovering from his gear transplant. I had a slightly different setup put in to give me more oomph for the hills that predominate in local races.  Rode fine this afternoon but now the bike computer is on the blink--only showing cadence and speed but not total miles. Whatever....past caring and tired of going to the bike shop. I guess when I see T2, that means the bike leg is done!

2012-07-18 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Computer problem solved. All systems go, finally. Afraid to check weather forecast for race day. It will be what it will be. Bringing gear for all conditions and hoping for the best, but expecting the usual rain. It would seem given the elevations involved (I think the highest is 3000 feet) and time of year that snow, at least, is unlikely. Off to Chelan tomorrow! The race is called Chelanman; don't know my number yet and not sure I'm bringing the computer so I might be untrackable.

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-07-18 10:13 PM
2012-07-18 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4317224

User image

Elite
PrivateIdaho - 2012-07-18 12:47 AM

Well, Lake Stevens turned out to be Good, Bad and Ugly.  Ugly because I developed calf cramps half way through the swim that ended up affecting the whole day - and I've never had calf cramps while swimming before... ever.

Bad because the weather turned to a cold drizzle about the same time I got on the bike and two hours later I was shaking so bad I could hardly keep control on the twisting descents and sharp turns. Saw lots of crashes, was content to play it safe.  I passed tons of people on the climbs... but they passed me back on the descents.

But it was good because I had the opportunity to experience some adversity and learned some things about dealing with it.  And even though things weren't going well, I was surprised my swim and run times weren't nearly as awful as they felt.

My goal was sub-six hours, but I ended up at 6:23.  Not thrilled, but I'm happy because I know that my goal was definitely doable if things had gone a little differently.  Full race report:

Calf cramps got me on my HIM in Cairns - coming out of the water - didn't affect my ride but my run was trashed.  Not sure what to do to fix it, myotherapist says stretch and masssage stretch and massage - coz I pay him to stretch and massage me no doubt!  I'm now taking magnesium too.  Race day was hot for me so I got my nutrition wrong so that impacted my run too.

2012-07-18 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Glad it's coming together for you at the wire HR.  Race your race and you will do well.

2012-07-18 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4319263

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
jobaxas - 2012-07-18 8:26 PM
PrivateIdaho - 2012-07-18 12:47 AM

Calf cramps got me on my HIM in Cairns - coming out of the water - didn't affect my ride but my run was trashed.  Not sure what to do to fix it, myotherapist says stretch and masssage stretch and massage - coz I pay him to stretch and massage me no doubt!  I'm now taking magnesium too.  Race day was hot for me so I got my nutrition wrong so that impacted my run too.

Same thing here. The calf cramps on the swim had no impact on the bike, but they destroyed my run.  I didn't cramp on the run, but they were so fatigued from having been cramped for so long during the swim, it was ultra-painful and if felt like if I pushed too hard they would explode.

My Dad says quinine is the answer.  He orders it from Canada (not available in the US over the counter) and says it instantly relieves cramps.  He trains horses and doesn't do tri's, but if it works it works... I plan on doing a little research.

2012-07-19 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I'm 2.5 weeks out.  The jitterz are starting.  I'm anxious even typing this. 

Good News.  After hearing what kind of bike I'm taking to my HIM, My professor, who's completed 4 IM's says, "you got your bike rack on your car."  I say, "yes."  He says, "Get in your car and follow me home.  Your gonna ride on my Giant. (his training bike) It'll be much better."

So I follow him to his house, and sure enough, he completed his first of 4 IM's on this bike.  It is an aluminum aero frame, aero fork, aero seat, 105 shimamo throughout, 10 gear cassette, and he is my exact height.  He throws me a farmer John wetsuit out of his closet and says to use it if they'll let me for the bouyancy factor.  WOW, what a turn of events.

I took it for a spin last night and averaged 20mph on a 10 mile ride.  Not to shabby since my best to date on my outdated bike was 18.5 on a 30 miler.  My bike is getting worked on today.  I had an appointment at LBS to change cassette and chain, rear wheel, brake cables and shifter cables.  Now, I'm going to see if they can tune up the Giant for me (there extremely slammed.)

2012-07-19 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

Kevin, that is absolutely fantastic! 

Which race are you doing (since I'm new to the group and know nothing )?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150