Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-03-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3391809

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

SSMinnow - 2011-03-10 8:14 AM Non SBR related question ahead: how do I deactivate apps in FaceBook?  I have this Iron App and I want to delete it so all my races aren't automatically posted weekly. Like who the he$$ wants to see that all the time?    HELP!

Easy - Go to Account Settings --> Privacy Settings

Down on the left is a link that says "Edit your Settings"

Then click on "Edit Settings" next to "Apps you use". 

Then scroll down and find the apps and delete it.  

2011-03-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3389486

User image

Master
Sin City
kt65 - 2011-03-08 8:17 PM
TrevorC - 2011-03-08 7:43 PM

Vegas part II?

running on the strip at night...we may be in!

HASH HOUSE HERE WE COME!!

Count me in!!!!!

Totally was thinking about doing this again...anyone else doing this? How many half mary and full marys are at night?!

2011-03-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3389605

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2011-03-09 3:57 AM

While I woke up to 4" of snow and a winter weather advisory, I know it must be Spring somewhere.....SO, who's doing their first Spring Race this weekend?  Spill it!

If there isn't a race in your near future, tell us what you did during the off season that seems to really have made a difference to your performance.

Off Season - ha! I was SUCH a slacker in the off season, it's so sad. I think I should have run more/better as the run currently sucks.   My swim performance has improved, my bike performance is still the same, but improving now that I got a much better fit and new handlebars.

I'm not worried about my performance for IronGirl since it's just a fun race.  After that, I will be more religious with my training. Now that I have a running partner that has been running since she was 9, she will help me improve big time. 

2011-03-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3392064

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2011-03-10 11:02 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 9:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

we got a treadmill a month or so ago to help with the odd hours of training, both of us not just me.  last night was my first run on it, short 15 min run.   i'm flying solo this week so i'm not really comfortable plugging the ipod into my ears.  out of curiosity i plugged my phone into the speakers on the thing and fired up pandora... it worked!!!  

so, if you have a treadmill with speakers and a 3.5 mm jack (standard ipod) and pandora it might alleviate some of the boredom.

Such a good daddy - making sure he can still hear his kiddos.  Not Tony and I, we hide out in the basement on our bikes and turn the volume up on itunes, slacker, netflix whatever so we can't hear the kiddos.  ;-)

I use Pandora on my phone at work w/o headphones.  They cracked down on streaming media so I have to find other sources of music and listening to the same CDs over and over gets old real quick.

On the exac opposite of being a good parent:

the other night I was out at my bike class. Michelle put the kids to bed, and then went down in the basement to run on the treadmill. She put on her headphones and was watching some girly show. Anyhow, she said she thought could hear something, so she pulled them off. Turns out our older one was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs. MIchelle ran up to ask her what was going on. She basically said she was calling for Michelle, and no one was coming. So she yelled louder. And then thought no one was home, so she started to freak.

2011-03-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3391968

User image

Chatham Ontario

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 11:28 AM OK, fine, you guys win.  Suzy guilted me into it.  Undecided  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow after class.  Ugh, I hate doctors...

YAY... So proud of you.... SMART CHOICE. I didn't listen to friends and some people here. I mean I did to a point but not fully, now I am missing my first HM this year that would have marked the 1 year since I started my weightloss/health journey... Now that I can't and I am missing it.... IT is tearing at my heart. I know I will HM some day. But it would have just ment so much to do it at that time with my friend and work out partner (she was going to spanky my azz anyways in it) and on the anneversary of my Dad's passing.

My whole.. "I will ice it and run in a few days, and then run." was wrong. I know we are all broken records here. Flip the off switch if you want. But the Tendon was pain issue. Root cause was several other things that kept revealing themselves as time has gone on.

I am PROUD of you for going now. Missing a week or two now is soo much better then 6-8 weeks later. If it turns out to be nothing GREAT. But you did the right thing....

2011-03-10 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3392192

User image

Techdiver - 2011-03-10 1:46 PM

SoccerGK - 2011-03-10 11:28 AM OK, fine, you guys win.  Suzy guilted me into it.  Undecided  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow after class.  Ugh, I hate doctors...

YAY... So proud of you.... SMART CHOICE. I didn't listen to friends and some people here. I mean I did to a point but not fully, now I am missing my first HM this year that would have marked the 1 year since I started my weightloss/health journey... Now that I can't and I am missing it.... IT is tearing at my heart. I know I will HM some day. But it would have just ment so much to do it at that time with my friend and work out partner (she was going to spanky my azz anyways in it) and on the anneversary of my Dad's passing.

My whole.. "I will ice it and run in a few days, and then run." was wrong. I know we are all broken records here. Flip the off switch if you want. But the Tendon was pain issue. Root cause was several other things that kept revealing themselves as time has gone on.

I am PROUD of you for going now. Missing a week or two now is soo much better then 6-8 weeks later. If it turns out to be nothing GREAT. But you did the right thing....

Yeah, been there done that. Good to get it taken care of before it gets worse!

2011-03-10 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3391868

User image

Champion
marietta
fowlmood - 2011-03-10 11:39 AM

How many of you train with someone else or in a group and how many times or just go solo

Myself there is not a lot of people where I live that bike, swim, or run (but the running % is going up). So I have probably train 99% of the time by myself. Though yesterday I was able to run with someone and that was a refreshing relief seemed to put an extra step in my run.

run and bike solo 100% of the time.   swim used to be and still kinda is, but the same people show up at 5 three days a week to swim so we have kinda an informal group. 

2011-03-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3392160

User image

TrevorC - 2011-03-10 1:31 PM

anyone here use pandora

we got a treadmill a month or so ago to help with the odd hours of training, both of us not just me.  last night was my first run on it, short 15 min run.   i'm flying solo this week so i'm not really comfortable plugging the ipod into my ears.  out of curiosity i plugged my phone into the speakers on the thing and fired up pandora... it worked!!!  

so, if you have a treadmill with speakers and a 3.5 mm jack (standard ipod) and pandora it might alleviate some of the boredom.

Such a good daddy - making sure he can still hear his kiddos.  Not Tony and I, we hide out in the basement on our bikes and turn the volume up on itunes, slacker, netflix whatever so we can't hear the kiddos.  ;-)

I use Pandora on my phone at work w/o headphones.  They cracked down on streaming media so I have to find other sources of music and listening to the same CDs over and over gets old real quick.

the other night I was out at my bike class. Michelle put the kids to bed, and then went down in the basement to run on the treadmill. She put on her headphones and was watching some girly show. Anyhow, she said she thought could hear something, so she pulled them off. Turns out our older one was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs. MIchelle ran up to ask her what was going on. She basically said she was calling for Michelle, and no one was coming. So she yelled louder. And then thought no one was home, so she started to freak.

Been there done that, too. Embarassed Now my kids know to come and look for me in the basement if no one comes up right away. I also moved my trainer upstairs last time I was solo parenting, so I'd be closer if they need me. 

2011-03-10 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

anyone here use pandora

i keep a baby monitor with lights on it with me on the trainer and now the tm.  one or two light come on, probably no big deal.  4 or 5 lights,  i'll stop and listen.  sometimes one of them will wake up for a minute crying or something.  they go back down after a minute or two.  when this happens the last thing you want to do is go in the room because then they will not go back down.  our kiddos rooms are close enough that one monitor does the trick.   over time you learn what is going on on by the number of lights and the duration of them.  obviously if all 5 are lit up and stay on, someone is hollering.  but if 3 or 4 come on for a second or two.. good chance someone just opened a door, then its game on!  sneak upstairs and scare the sh*t out of em!!!!  (never put wd40 on the door hinges for this reason alone.)   and if you workout in dark room, put the monitor against the wall with the lights facing the wall.  the reflection of the lights off the wall is a bigger area then the lights themselves.

2011-03-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3389605

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2011-03-09 5:57 AM

While I woke up to 4" of snow and a winter weather advisory, I know it must be Spring somewhere.....SO, who's doing their first Spring Race this weekend?  Spill it!

If there isn't a race in your near future, tell us what you did during the off season that seems to really have made a difference to your performance.

Back in the office today (getting my A$$ handed to me with workload), the trip to Mexico was way overrated and I got very little time to work out or do much of anything but attend meetings and network.  Why do they have you travel to a nice place a long way away to sit in a conference room looking out the window at the nice beach????  What a waste!  

Caught up on the posts and the only input I can add is that all this "Baby Monitor talk" makes me feel really old.  I am always in bed long before my kids now and I am much more worried about my kids sneaking out or getting into my beer fridge!  Surprised

What I did in the off-season that is really supposed to make a big difference in my performance is yet to be proven.......Laughing  Oh, I've done lots of work, but no documented results as of yet!  Only time will tell.    

2011-03-10 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3392309

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 2:35 PM

anyone here use pandora

i keep a baby monitor with lights on it with me on the trainer and now the tm.  one or two light come on, probably no big deal.  4 or 5 lights,  i'll stop and listen.  sometimes one of them will wake up for a minute crying or something.  they go back down after a minute or two.  when this happens the last thing you want to do is go in the room because then they will not go back down.  our kiddos rooms are close enough that one monitor does the trick.   over time you learn what is going on on by the number of lights and the duration of them.  obviously if all 5 are lit up and stay on, someone is hollering.  but if 3 or 4 come on for a second or two.. good chance someone just opened a door, then its game on!  sneak upstairs and scare the sh*t out of em!!!!  (never put wd40 on the door hinges for this reason alone.)   and if you workout in dark room, put the monitor against the wall with the lights facing the wall.  the reflection of the lights off the wall is a bigger area then the lights themselves.

This is what we used to do too.  Worked great.  Now the kids are old enough that unless someone is sick, we don't really use the monitor anymore.  They can just come get us.  Did have that screaming moment once that Trev and Julia had...apparently I was a little too into my run that time Surprised

Fatty - I would advise against using the treadmill in the dark...but if you do, make sure you wear reflective clothing!

2011-03-10 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3391968

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Erica: Awesome!!!  Sports Med doc, right?

Bryce: Last year, I did a few long rides with my training partner and occasionally her posse.  I OWS within a clas environment and take Master's once a week.  For the most part, I am a solo flyer and prefer it that way.  Less wasted time and more concentrated effort on what I need to get done!

DJ: THANKS!!!!!

Dineen: Don't you know those events are soley for the spouses????   Lock your vodka cabinet up too...used to be on my list of things to sneak and then refill with a little H20!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-03-10 2:58 PM
2011-03-10 3:02 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
fowlmood - 2011-03-10 10:39 AM

How many of you train with someone else or in a group and how many times or just go solo

myself there is not a lot of people where I live that bike, swim, or run (but the running % is going up). So I have probably train 99% of the time by myself. Though yesterday I was able to run with someone and that was a refreshing relief seemed to put an extra step in my run.

Myself... I swim with the masters Team on Tuesday and thursday and then I OWS with my work out buddy Stef.

As for riding I do 50-60% of it with Stef. Get out for the odd ride with some others...  My short rides are alone. Long rides are usually with Stef.

My runs 33% were with our running group we recently started. another 33% alone and then a few with Stef (well we start them together then she waits for me after she is finished) Man when she goes to China this year to teach for 5 weeks I am going to be LOST without her.

I am trying to recuit new people already. One Girl I helped learn to run last spring calls me up for runs now and again...

AWWW DAMN I MISS RUNNING......

2011-03-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3392497

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-03-10 2:55 PM

Erica: Awesome!!!  Sports Med doc, right?

Bryce: Last year, I did a few long rides with my training partner and occasionally her posse.  I OWS within a clas environment and take Master's once a week.  For the most part, I am a solo flyer and prefer it that way.  Less wasted time and more concentrated effort on what I need to get done!

DJ: THANKS!!!!!

Dineen: Don't you know those events are soley for the spouses????   Lock your vodka cabinet up too...used to be on my list of things to sneak and then refill with a little H20!

This is one of the reasons why I didn't want to go see a doctor...  I don't have a PCP at all (we just started our new health insurance last semester), and our health insurance won't pay for specialty docs unless you get a referral from your PCP.  So tomorrow's appt. is with a new PCP in Cedarburg.  Hopefully he can diagnose me, but if he can't, then he'll have to refer me to a sports specialty doctor.  It'll be a whole fun process, I'm sure... ugh.

2011-03-10 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Elite
san francisco

Love busy mornings in the MG!

Rob-take care of that tooth.  I abhor dental pain.  A few years ago, I had a root canal go bad, cracked root, extraction, implant, yada, yada, yada.  I wear a night guard now and pray that I will not crack anymore teeth from grinding my teeth together.

Off season included lots of sleeping in.  Joining masters swimming has been great for my confidence and has made swimming fun.  I also took advantage of the down time by taking the opportunity to change my shoes to the Kinvaras and have been supremely happy with the way it is working out.  Even though I am marathon training right now, I still feel like I am in the off season because the longest bike is 2 hours and swimming is just twice a week.  And I must say, I love not being sore.  Also, I started taking Sundays as a full rest day which has been terrific, as it means a great chance to spend time with Kathy and do family things...and be able to socialize and go out on Saturday nights without worrying about getting up early the next day.

I am also not looking forward to daylight savings time as it means my last two long runs after this weekend will have to be on Sundays instead of before work on Saturdays.  The sun has been rising at 6:00-ish which has been great but next weekend will be 7 am and I can't get to work on time since there will be 3:00 runs.   Darn.  I really have enjoyed having Sundays be a total rest day!  But I guess 2 Sundays of sacrifice for Boston is not too bad of a deal!  I cannot believe it is only 5 weeks away.

Love the talk about treadmill running and hearing the kids.  Gosh, Trevor, I'm curious what "girly movie" Michelle was watching! 

I also train alone for almost everything except for swimming, running is a time for peacefulness, biking, my schedule and workouts are kind of crazy...however I did enjoy cycling long with Linda.  Where is velcromom, anyways???

Okay gang, have a great day!

2011-03-10 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3391342

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Redknight - 2011-03-10 7:48 AM I got in a couple of  good workouts on Monday. Tuesday I went to the dentist who told me I have a broken root on one of my front and it would have to come out. Yesterday morning I had the dental surgery. Dentist had to take the tooth out in pieces and then scrape any infection from the bone. Had some bone degeneration so he had to put in some filler to grow and suture some of my gums. Then put a temp filler in for the blank spot where my tooth was.  Not much fun and still a little sore this am. So no strenuous workouts until Friday at the earliest.
Having said that no racing this weekend.. not that I was planning any.
Suzy glad you got the snow this time

ow!!  I am cringing just reading this.  Take care sweety.

2011-03-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3392259

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
gotta run - 2011-03-10 2:18 PM

anyone here use pandora

Been there done that, too. Embarassed Now my kids know to come and look for me in the basement if no one comes up right away. I also moved my trainer upstairs last time I was solo parenting, so I'd be closer if they need me. 

Same, here, we just usually tell them now that we're in the basement on our bikes do come down and get us if you need us.

2011-03-10 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Almost all of my runs are solo b/c of my pace.  Swimming is pretty social with Masters and open water swims, biking I prefer to do with people.  There are too many crazies out there that like to hit bikers and being alone scares me.  I'm sure I'll have to spend more time by myself as the miles ramp up but I am pretty lucky that most of my riding buddies will act as domestiques.  
2011-03-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3391795

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 8:09 AM
Terps421 - 2011-03-10 11:00 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-10 10:54 AM

anyone here use pandora

Does Pandora have to go on a cell phone? Can you load it to an Ipod Nano?

not just on a cell, can go on the computer or itouch or stream it over your tv.   but i don't think the nano integration is there yet. 

Dave was just suggesting I do this on my bike -- connect to the computer and use Pandora for my tunes. I do the radio, and every now and then all of my fave music stations play commercials when I need some UMPH!! Sometimes I go to mp3s when that happens but usually hate to be fumbling around. But since I use the 'puter for the CT I can plug into that. Will have to give it a try on Saturday. Best part also is no batteries to recharge or replace!! Well, super-duper best part would be no commercials!! I do enjoy my local radio stations, though!

2011-03-10 4:51 PM

User image

Master
fowlmood - 2011-03-10 8:39 AM

Myself there is not a lot of people where I live that bike, swim, or run (but the running % is going up). So I have probably train 99% of the time by myself. Though yesterday I was able to run with someone and that was a refreshing relief seemed to put an extra step in my run.

I'm a mostly solo gal. My schedule is so restricted (trying to do everything I can when it doesn't affect the family) that I need to do a workout, be done, and move on. And because I am following a training plan for my IM, I have specific things I want to do each time I head on out. That said, I have some friends I love to run or bike with, so often I'll let them know what I'm doing and if they can join me for some or part, awesome!! It does help break up the monotony. But I figure I race alone, so training alone is fine... it's a treat when I get to do a social workout!

2011-03-10 5:03 PM

User image

Master
TrevorC - 2011-03-10 10:31 AM

anyone here use pandora

We are FINALLY at a stage where the kids can be left alone a bit. During waking hours, never more than 20-ish minutes (they'll kill each other, I'm sure!), but now Dave and I can both be gone in the early mornings for workouts. It is SOOOOOOO liberating not to have to be home to tag in and to coordinate who gets to do the early workouts. That said, when we know we will both be gone (rarely do the kids wake up before we awaken them), we make sure they know that if they get up and we're not here, it just means we're out exercising and someone will be home by 7am, so don't freak out. They both know neighbor's phone number in case of emergencies (and neighbor has agreed to be "on call," although neighbor is about to move away, wah!!), and supposedly know how to call 911 (thankfully have never had to test that skill!).

I'm sure it won't be long until we're at Dino's stage of figuring out that the kids aren't home because they've snuck off to do who-knows-what in the middle of the night, ha!!! Yikes!

Edited by kkcbelle 2011-03-10 5:05 PM

2011-03-10 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3392192

User image

Burleson

I have been having all kinds of problems with my legs form running.  I just went to a chriropractor last week and it was a miracle.  He told me that my femur was rotated so he adjusted that and deep tissue work on my legs and I felt better the next day.

Mike

2011-03-10 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3392745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
mike6232 - 2011-03-10 4:20 PM

I have been having all kinds of problems with my legs form running.  I just went to a chriropractor last week and it was a miracle.  He told me that my femur was rotated so he adjusted that and deep tissue work on my legs and I felt better the next day.

Mike

Good for you better to be safe than sorry

2011-03-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3392706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
kkcbelle - 2011-03-10 3:51 PM
fowlmood - 2011-03-10 8:39 AM

I'm a mostly solo gal. My schedule is so restricted (trying to do everything I can when it doesn't affect the family) that I need to do a workout, be done, and move on. And because I am following a training plan for my IM, I have specific things I want to do each time I head on out. That said, I have some friends I love to run or bike with, so often I'll let them know what I'm doing and if they can join me for some or part, awesome!! It does help break up the monotony. But I figure I race alone, so training alone is fine... it's a treat when I get to do a social workout!

This week has been tough just mentally tired of training by myself, so when a friend called me up a few days ago to go run I jumped on that talk about a relief and it was a lot of fun took some stress off . tonight my son did a short and easy ride. After that I feel so much more refreshed and ready to go for my HIM in about a week.

2011-03-10 8:59 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Your tired from all your hard work.

I am sure when you cross that Finish line at the HIM you will be so excited it will all be worth it.....

I can't even imagine racing that distance.... I will be chearing for you virtually...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171