Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-07-19 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4320320

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
kevinbe - 2012-07-19 11:15 AM

I'm 2.5 weeks out.  The jitterz are starting.  I'm anxious even typing this. 

Good News.  After hearing what kind of bike I'm taking to my HIM, My professor, who's completed 4 IM's says, "you got your bike rack on your car."  I say, "yes."  He says, "Get in your car and follow me home.  Your gonna ride on my Giant. (his training bike) It'll be much better."

So I follow him to his house, and sure enough, he completed his first of 4 IM's on this bike.  It is an aluminum aero frame, aero fork, aero seat, 105 shimamo throughout, 10 gear cassette, and he is my exact height.  He throws me a farmer John wetsuit out of his closet and says to use it if they'll let me for the bouyancy factor.  WOW, what a turn of events.

I took it for a spin last night and averaged 20mph on a 10 mile ride.  Not to shabby since my best to date on my outdated bike was 18.5 on a 30 miler.  My bike is getting worked on today.  I had an appointment at LBS to change cassette and chain, rear wheel, brake cables and shifter cables.  Now, I'm going to see if they can tune up the Giant for me (there extremely slammed.)

Awesome!  That's great stuff

2012-07-19 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4319317

User image

PrivateIdaho - 2012-07-18 11:36 PM
jobaxas - 2012-07-18 8:26 PM
PrivateIdaho - 2012-07-18 12:47 AM

Well, Lake Stevens turned out to be Good, Bad and Ugly.  Ugly because I developed calf cramps half way through the swim that ended up affecting the whole day - and I've never had calf cramps while swimming before... ever.

Bad because the weather turned to a cold drizzle about the same time I got on the bike and two hours later I was shaking so bad I could hardly keep control on the twisting descents and sharp turns. Saw lots of crashes, was content to play it safe.  I passed tons of people on the climbs... but they passed me back on the descents.

But it was good because I had the opportunity to experience some adversity and learned some things about dealing with it.  And even though things weren't going well, I was surprised my swim and run times weren't nearly as awful as they felt.

My goal was sub-six hours, but I ended up at 6:23.  Not thrilled, but I'm happy because I know that my goal was definitely doable if things had gone a little differently.  Full race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=451424

Calf cramps got me on my HIM in Cairns - coming out of the water - didn't affect my ride but my run was trashed.  Not sure what to do to fix it, myotherapist says stretch and masssage stretch and massage - coz I pay him to stretch and massage me no doubt!  I'm now taking magnesium too.  Race day was hot for me so I got my nutrition wrong so that impacted my run too.

Same thing here. The calf cramps on the swim had no impact on the bike, but they destroyed my run.  I didn't cramp on the run, but they were so fatigued from having been cramped for so long during the swim, it was ultra-painful and if felt like if I pushed too hard they would explode.

My Dad says quinine is the answer.  He orders it from Canada (not available in the US over the counter) and says it instantly relieves cramps.  He trains horses and doesn't do tri's, but if it works it works... I plan on doing a little research.

Tonic water contains quinine, though based on what I read on wikipedia, you'd have to drink a couple liters to get what is considered a therapeutic dose so that probably wouldn't make your stomach feel too good.

2012-07-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4320334

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Lyoshka - 2012-07-19 11:20 PM

Kevin, that is absolutely fantastic! 

Which race are you doing (since I'm new to the group and know nothing )?

I'm doing Troika triathlon here in Spokane August 5th.  My first tri.

Edited by kevinbe 2012-07-19 3:05 PM
2012-07-22 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Okay, to end the suspense--I DID IT!!!! No race report yet as I don't have the detailed results with splits, just the overall time and approximate memories of each leg's time as I did it. I finished Chelanman, my first HIM, yesterday, in 5:53:40, sixth overall, won my age group. (Overall didn't count for age group--handy, that, as one of the top three was over 40!) Not entirely without incident but it was a beautiful race with gorgeous weather low 60's at start, low 80's by end, sunny, light breeze) and probably perfect conditions for me. Report will follow when I get the results.

Swim: According to my mom, I was the first woman out of the water. I didn't notice/care. Water was about 70 degrees, pleasant with a wetsuit, perfect course for me. With a current going out and into strong current coming back. I'm good at that for some reason and I passed oodles of people! Got the famous flourescent orange underwater cable to myself for nearly the entire return trip. Swim split (when I got out of the water, not official, 35:28. Felt great!

T1: Awful. My hands were cold and wouldn't work. Temps in low 60's but cold wind off the lake had me shivering and I kept dropping my watch, fumbling with shoes, gloves, etc. Probably about 5 minutes!

Bike: For me, good. The course at Chelanman is long (race literature says 58.1; my odometer said 57.98) and hilly--rolling hills for the first 34 miles, a 22-mile loop with three major climbs and two big descents, and a little flat bit back to town.  My split was about 3:27, 16.8 mph average. It felt like the entire field passed me on the bike leg, but I just tried to keep my own pace. The new gears performed well but I managed to jump the chain off the rings twice and this wasted a little time. This happens to me on other bikes so suspect it was just overly impatient shifting.

Run: 1:43 something. I think. Just ran by feel. I passed lots of people; only one person passed me --a guy I had biked near and done much of the run with. Felt tired but very relaxed, no soreness or difficulties until 10 miles when, for the first time in my life, my calf muscle cramped. This slowed me down a little to mile 12 then I saw a woman about 200m up ahead and, not knowing if she was in my AG or not, decided I had to go for it, cramp or no cramp. Luckily at this point the course was flat. Took off after her, passed with maybe 1 km to go. Saw the police light blinking at the final turn for the finish, crowds started yelling and for some reason I started "sprinting". At least it felt like it--last mile was well under 7. Praying, laughing, crying, talking to myself--hard to explain. I get really emotional at the end of long races, esp. this one as anyone who has followed the saga leading up to it will know why.  Note to beginners--DON'T do this at the end of your first HIM, unless maybe prize money is involved. I was doing okay till that point but finished pretty miserable....almost fell over onto the table while they were taking off my timing chip! FWIW--I beat the poor lady by almost five minutes, and it turned out she wasn't in my age group.

Very sore yesterday and this AM but not too bad now; don't want to look at the bike or think about running for at least a few days, though. Overall happy with the race--it was, in many ways, a perfect race for me--maybe I could have pushed the run a bit harder in retrospect, if I had that much of a "kick" left, but as I did it there was definitely nothing left to give when I crossed that line!

Thanks to all who offered support and encouraged me to hang in there when the going got rather epically tough. In the end, it was worth it, the journey even more than the destination.  Best of luck to all of you, wherever you are on your own journey!

2012-07-22 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4324707

User image

Master
Hot Runner - 2012-07-22 8:20 PM

Okay, to end the suspense--I DID IT!!!! No race report yet as I don't have the detailed results with splits, just the overall time and approximate memories of each leg's time as I did it. I finished Chelanman, my first HIM, yesterday, in 5:53:40, sixth overall, won my age group. (Overall didn't count for age group--handy, that, as one of the top three was over 40!) Not entirely without incident but it was a beautiful race with gorgeous weather low 60's at start, low 80's by end, sunny, light breeze) and probably perfect conditions for me. Report will follow when I get the results.

Swim: According to my mom, I was the first woman out of the water. I didn't notice/care. Water was about 70 degrees, pleasant with a wetsuit, perfect course for me. With a current going out and into strong current coming back. I'm good at that for some reason and I passed oodles of people! Got the famous flourescent orange underwater cable to myself for nearly the entire return trip. Swim split (when I got out of the water, not official, 35:28. Felt great!

T1: Awful. My hands were cold and wouldn't work. Temps in low 60's but cold wind off the lake had me shivering and I kept dropping my watch, fumbling with shoes, gloves, etc. Probably about 5 minutes!

Bike: For me, good. The course at Chelanman is long (race literature says 58.1; my odometer said 57.98) and hilly--rolling hills for the first 34 miles, a 22-mile loop with three major climbs and two big descents, and a little flat bit back to town.  My split was about 3:27, 16.8 mph average. It felt like the entire field passed me on the bike leg, but I just tried to keep my own pace. The new gears performed well but I managed to jump the chain off the rings twice and this wasted a little time. This happens to me on other bikes so suspect it was just overly impatient shifting.

Run: 1:43 something. I think. Just ran by feel. I passed lots of people; only one person passed me --a guy I had biked near and done much of the run with. Felt tired but very relaxed, no soreness or difficulties until 10 miles when, for the first time in my life, my calf muscle cramped. This slowed me down a little to mile 12 then I saw a woman about 200m up ahead and, not knowing if she was in my AG or not, decided I had to go for it, cramp or no cramp. Luckily at this point the course was flat. Took off after her, passed with maybe 1 km to go. Saw the police light blinking at the final turn for the finish, crowds started yelling and for some reason I started "sprinting". At least it felt like it--last mile was well under 7. Praying, laughing, crying, talking to myself--hard to explain. I get really emotional at the end of long races, esp. this one as anyone who has followed the saga leading up to it will know why.  Note to beginners--DON'T do this at the end of your first HIM, unless maybe prize money is involved. I was doing okay till that point but finished pretty miserable....almost fell over onto the table while they were taking off my timing chip! FWIW--I beat the poor lady by almost five minutes, and it turned out she wasn't in my age group.

Very sore yesterday and this AM but not too bad now; don't want to look at the bike or think about running for at least a few days, though. Overall happy with the race--it was, in many ways, a perfect race for me--maybe I could have pushed the run a bit harder in retrospect, if I had that much of a "kick" left, but as I did it there was definitely nothing left to give when I crossed that line!

Thanks to all who offered support and encouraged me to hang in there when the going got rather epically tough. In the end, it was worth it, the journey even more than the destination.  Best of luck to all of you, wherever you are on your own journey!

Great job, HR!  So glad this one went well.  Sounds like you ran a really great race.  Can't wait to read the report!

2012-07-23 10:51 AM

User image

Congrats on the race HR!  Now you just need to get really fast on the bike and you can beat everyone

2012-07-23 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hot Runner - 2012-07-22 10:20 PM

wow, your race times are unbelievable! Fantastic!

SO SO glad everything lined up to make for a perfect day for you, especially considering all the pre-race troubles. 

Well done!

2012-07-23 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
HR, I am so happy for you.  Sub-6 is very, very impressive especially for that course.  The journey through your HIM has truly been epic.  Congratulations on a truly remarkable accomplishment.  Best of luck in your future adventures. 
2012-07-23 11:11 PM

User image

Elite
Hot Runner - 2012-07-22 10:20 PM

Oh WOW that is fantastic - all the training etc paid off, good times too!  Sounds like you blasted it, well done!  next?!

2012-07-23 11:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Race report now up. Be forewarned--it's a bit epic, like the race itself! Mom was technically right-I was the first woman out of the water, but actually I think I had the fourth fastest time--40+ people started five minutes ahead of the under 40's. A few women had faster times, but none made up the stagger. Very few guys did, either, which meant I was out there solo for much of the swim! Bike actually wasn't too bad--13th out of 55 women and 2nd in my AG, but light years behind the women who finished ahead of me. Yikes!

Next--not sure. The Oly I'd hoped to do in Vietnam in Sept. was cancelled. The same people are putting on a HIM and IM then at Bintan in Indonesia--lovely course but it's not a politically expedient time to ask for/get the needed leave from work. So kind of up in the air. Probably a run focus and maintenance on bike/swim till next year, not really what I need as a triathlete, but due to the reality of my job and training situation. Might do Angkor Wat HM again, or maybe the Singapore Marathon. More tris probably in the works for next spring and summer. I'd like to do Vineman 70.3 if our family plans can jive with that. My work and family situation is uncertain so no decisions for now. No plans for an IM while I'm working full time and living in Vietnam!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-07-23 11:39 PM
2012-07-24 9:20 AM

New user

Williamsville, NY
I just joined, and noticed the comments are older.  Don't know if people still look here.  Signed up for my first 1/2, and very excited!

2012-07-24 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

HI joelops! welcome I'm new to this group myself, but it seems there are a few of us obsessing over our upcoming races, so join in the fun

Which HIM did you sign up for?

2012-07-24 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4327109

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
Hot Runner - 2012-07-24 12:33 AM

Race report now up. Be forewarned--it's a bit epic, like the race itself! Mom was technically right-I was the first woman out of the water, but actually I think I had the fourth fastest time--40+ people started five minutes ahead of the under 40's. A few women had faster times, but none made up the stagger. Very few guys did, either, which meant I was out there solo for much of the swim! Bike actually wasn't too bad--13th out of 55 women and 2nd in my AG, but light years behind the women who finished ahead of me. Yikes!

Next--not sure. The Oly I'd hoped to do in Vietnam in Sept. was cancelled. The same people are putting on a HIM and IM then at Bintan in Indonesia--lovely course but it's not a politically expedient time to ask for/get the needed leave from work. So kind of up in the air. Probably a run focus and maintenance on bike/swim till next year, not really what I need as a triathlete, but due to the reality of my job and training situation. Might do Angkor Wat HM again, or maybe the Singapore Marathon. More tris probably in the works for next spring and summer. I'd like to do Vineman 70.3 if our family plans can jive with that. My work and family situation is uncertain so no decisions for now. No plans for an IM while I'm working full time and living in Vietnam!

Nice Job HR!  

2012-07-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4327109

User image

Veteran

Good Job HR!

Your run time is awesome!

I still have 9 wks til my HIM its really nice to read about people finishing!

2012-07-25 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Epic first HIM HR!  Way to go. 

Looking forward, that makes it real tough on deciding for area HIM for next year.  I'm doing Troika here in 2 weeks, or there is Boise, Lake Stevens, Grand Columbian, Chelanman, Black Diamond...

So many tri's, so little time.  Which one (or one's) would anyone recomend over the others?  My goal for next year will be to improve dramatically on this years time.

Anyone going this next weekend?

2012-07-25 12:31 PM

User image

A little training update.  I'm 6 weeks out and looking forward to recovery week next week, but first I've got a 100 mile ride this Saturday.  It's called Miles of Smiles, though not so sure of the smiles part.  This will be my longest ride ever by 35 miles, so hepefully I can take sitting in the saddle that long.  I just switched to a Cobb saddle last week so this will be a good test to see if it's the saddle I've been looking for.  Last Friday I did a 43 mile ride and had planned to run 7 miles to the movie theater afterwards to pick up Dark Knight tickets, was short on time and drove part way and just did a 3 mile run and managed an 8:05 pace.  I seem to be running faster of late, especially when the temps aren't too ridiculously hot.  Today I've got a 2 hour run on the schedule, but it's around 100 degrees so I might have to wait til the sun goes down to do it.

2012-07-25 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Kevin--I really recommend Chelanman (unless you happen to be a female in my AG, which I know you're not)! It's a beautiful setting, late enough in summer so weather is usually warm and stable (though there were actually storms the day before this year), generally well-run, great small-town atmosphere. I'm a small-town girl and I liked the rural nature of the ride and run; can see that others might prefer urban races, though. I would definitely do it again but it's also attractive to think of trying a new course.

With early summer in the PNW there is always the risk of freezing your butt off. I don't do well in the cold and I've learned my lesson--don't sign up for long-distance tris or anything involving OWS until probably mid-July!

Those still in training--It seems like others who finished added their two cents worth about the program, so, as a recent "graduate", I will too. Take with a grain of salt as I have an unusual background for tri, probably.

*The biking in the program isn't really enough. I added more long rides and I'm glad I did. Unless you average 30 kph (almost 19 mph) over 3 hours, you will never ride the race distance before the race. And remember there is then the minor issue of the half marathon that follows.

*I felt like the program lacked intensity on the bike. In retrospect, I needed to do more of this. I did early on and then leveled off as volume increased. Result--great endurance; easily finished the distance, was strong on hills late in the race, had a super run, but a slow-as -molasses bike leg.

*Definitely do those long runs. 13.1 feels long after 90 km on a bike, even for someone like me who considers a 13 mile run a pleasant morning jaunt.

*I felt the bricks in the program weren't frequent or long enough. I don't regret the "monster brick" I did nearly every weekend starting from April or so-- a 90-100 km ride followed by a 30-50 minute run. By June my body was used to running off a long ride and I was able to run smooth and relaxed in the race.

*The swimming in the program is fine; if you're already a strong swimmer it might be better to do more shorter repeats at a faster pace than the long continuous swims or repeats. Those "mental toughness" things like 6 X 500--ugh! They were harder than the actual race.

Just my 2 cents. Admittedly I'm coming at it from an odd background ( runner since age 10, first marathon at 14, PR of 2:43 many, many years ago; high school and age group swimming, total newbie to biking as a sport and absolute sludge on a bike). If you are a less experienced runner I would definitely build the distance of the runs and bricks very gradually.

2012-07-25 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4329923

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Kevin, I struggled with with deciding between Boise and Lake Stevens for a long time.  I looked into the others a little, but wanted to experience a WTC/Ironman race. I ended up choosing LS mainly because we had friends and family in the area and it fit better with my son's school and sports schedule.

I obviously haven't done Boise, but if I were to do it again next year, I would choose Lake Stevens again.  The drawbacks I see with Boise are:

- Early June doesn't provide as much time to prepare outdoors on the bike. I didn't really start riding on roads until late April this year.  LS gives you another five weeks to prepare.

- The weather is so unpredictable in early June - they shortened Boise because of weather this year, and previous years have had weather issues. The weather wasn't ideal at LS either, but the climate is milder and there's much less chance for severe weather.

- The Boise swim will be cold no matter the weather - you can deal with cold water, but LS was 73 degrees... just sayin'.

From what I hear, the pros for Boise are:

- The finish line atmosphere and post race activities are better than LS. Not big factors for me, the finish chute at LS was pretty cool and I don't spend a lot of time hanging around after its over.

- The bike course is easier. LS was challenging - almost no flat areas and constant up and down with some tricky corners. I personally like the more technical courses, but they do wear you out.

- The run course along the river is scenic. The LS course is scenic for about half, the rest is through neighborhoods - I don't look much at the scenery anyway.  The cool thing about LS was that your spectators could position themselves so that you run by them five times.

I've heard lots of good things about Chelanman too.  Don't know much about Black Diamond. Have driven through the Grand Columbian area... not for me - I need to see a tree now and then.

2012-07-27 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Two sleeps to race day!  Getting antsy.  Going up to the swim site tomorrow to drop off bike and go for a bit of a swim, then will check out T2 later in the day...feeling good, just some good nervous energy!
2012-07-27 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
That's exciting!  I'm getting all pumped up just thinking about it.  Hope your race goes smooth.  May the wind be at your back, and the trail rise to meet your foot.
2012-07-28 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4335125

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

bcraht - 2012-07-27 8:55 PM Two sleeps to race day!  Getting antsy.  Going up to the swim site tomorrow to drop off bike and go for a bit of a swim, then will check out T2 later in the day...feeling good, just some good nervous energy!

Store up that energy and pop the cork when the horn sounds.  Best of luck and Godspeed!

2012-07-30 2:00 PM

User image

Did my first century ride on Saturday! Total distance ended up being 102 miles.  Actual ride time was 5:50 for a 17.5 mph pace.  We had 3 rest stops not included in that, and I probably rested around 15 minutes or so at each.  Pace kept dropping as there was about a 20 mile stretch towards the end that was mostly uphill and into the wind.  I was happy to finish.  The new Cobb saddle did pretty well as it was my feet that wanted to quit before my sit parts.  There was 43 miles between rest stops 2 and 3 and the long uphill stretches are hard on the feet I guess.  I was counting down the miles til I could take my shoes off for a few minutes.  I have no idea how people can do that kind of distance and then run a marathon afterwards.
2012-07-30 6:23 PM

Lake St. Louis
Hey folks I am training for my first HIM this sept. doing Branson!!! After my first attempt of a half was Muncie, they shorten then dam race so on to the next Branson.Anyone doing Branson??
2012-07-30 10:54 PM
in reply to: #4337678

User image

Master

mshawgo - 2012-07-30 12:00 PM Did my first century ride on Saturday! Total distance ended up being 102 miles.  Actual ride time was 5:50 for a 17.5 mph pace.  We had 3 rest stops not included in that, and I probably rested around 15 minutes or so at each.  Pace kept dropping as there was about a 20 mile stretch towards the end that was mostly uphill and into the wind.  I was happy to finish.  The new Cobb saddle did pretty well as it was my feet that wanted to quit before my sit parts.  There was 43 miles between rest stops 2 and 3 and the long uphill stretches are hard on the feet I guess.  I was counting down the miles til I could take my shoes off for a few minutes.  I have no idea how people can do that kind of distance and then run a marathon afterwards.

Nice work!  That's a great ride!

So I finished my first 70.3 on Sunday in 7:29:04.  Super happy with my swim, really happy about my bike, had a plan and stuck with it.  Run was tough, it was pretty hot out.  I'm wondering too if the altitude (Calgary is 3400ft, I live at sea level) had anything to do with it.  My respiration rate was quite high on the run, and if my HR got above about 145, I started to feel nauseated.  So, I ran/walked it and got it done. 

I was lucky that I got the advice from HR and Jo that the plan was a little light on the bike, so I upped that in the last 6-8 weeks of my training.  The swimming plan I didn't really follow as I was swimming with a masters group twice a week.  The one time per week I did swim on my own I would usually just pick a workout and do it.  I did get in several open water swims before my race, which helped soooo much.  The one thing I would suggest to anyone working this plan, is do quite a few bricks, especially after your long rides.  I don't think I had prepared myself adequately for running off the bike for those distances.

Good luck to all those training!!

2012-07-31 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4338479

User image

bcraht - 2012-07-30 10:54 PM

So I finished my first 70.3 on Sunday in 7:29:04.  Super happy with my swim, really happy about my bike, had a plan and stuck with it.  Run was tough, it was pretty hot out.  I'm wondering too if the altitude (Calgary is 3400ft, I live at sea level) had anything to do with it.  My respiration rate was quite high on the run, and if my HR got above about 145, I started to feel nauseated.  So, I ran/walked it and got it done. 

I was lucky that I got the advice from HR and Jo that the plan was a little light on the bike, so I upped that in the last 6-8 weeks of my training.  The swimming plan I didn't really follow as I was swimming with a masters group twice a week.  The one time per week I did swim on my own I would usually just pick a workout and do it.  I did get in several open water swims before my race, which helped soooo much.  The one thing I would suggest to anyone working this plan, is do quite a few bricks, especially after your long rides.  I don't think I had prepared myself adequately for running off the bike for those distances.

Good luck to all those training!!

Congrats on the finish! I've found lately that with the heat, anytime I run when it's 90+ degrees outside, I'm significantly slower, so I'm hoping that come race day (9/1) I'll get lucky and it won't be too hot or I could be slow on the run.  When it's cooler or I'm in the shade I can keep the pace in the mid 8 min range but when it's hot and I'm in the sun I fall below a 9 min pace after a few miles.  I have followed the training hours for the most part but not the workouts specifically, so I've done quite a few bricks just because if I'm biking and running the same day I usually just do them together.  I actually feel a little better running off the bike because when I start the run cold my back sometimes tightens up in one spot.  I try to stretch it beforehand but I probably don't do it well enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150