of 71

2009-01-07 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1890059

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
running4beer - 2009-01-06 3:33 PM

Hey, folks - I just realized that I updated my table to include Debb (IdealMuse) a while ago, but forgot to mention that to everyone else.  Sorry, Debb!  Don't want everyone to forget about you!

It's fairly easy to add her to your list if you can figure out how to edit tables on the site, but if copying and pasting and deleting the old table is easiest, here it is!

KathyG & QueenZipp 's Group

link to the forum pg1

Thank you!!

2009-01-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Champion
MA

Those of you doing the IM challenge this month how are you doing?

Here are my numbers thru this mornings workout..so 50% of one bike leg, and run leg, and over 100% for one swim leg. My goal is two Ironman distances this month.

January's totals:
Bike:3h 35m  - 58 Mi
Run:2h 24m 44s  - 13 Mi
Swim:3h 00m 56s  - 5800 Yd

2009-01-07 9:10 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Has anyone tried the little jellybean type things? They appeal to me more than GU, and then I can just have regular water to drink.  Great suggestion with the pretzels Judi- they are a favorite of mine after a long run- simple carbs and salt.
2009-01-07 9:21 AM

User image

Beantown

January's totals:
Bike:56m  - 15 Mi
Run:1h 32m 31s  - 9.5 Mi
Swim:52m  - 1200 Yd

I'm psyched to say i'm right on target - the only part i'm doubling is the RUN in prep for my (2) 10Ks next month.

KOM - i liked the beans, i can't really say if they work or not since last year i was just getting introduced to all these things!  i'm a fan of the shot blocks but will mix in beans for a change i'm sure.

2009-01-07 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA

If I do a workout under 90' no calories just electrolytes.

I like Nuuns which has 10 calories but electorlytes.

Stores like Target sell other brands of them that are cheaper but have less electrolytes. I sweat a lot so never drink water. You sweat out salt water and to replace it with straight water you are diluting your electorlytes. Once it gets warmer it is smart to do a few sweat tests on the run and bike to see how much you sweat to estimate how much you should be drinking. Doesn't matter as much if you are doing short events that are under 2 hours...as you go longer this becomes more important.

After my workouts carbs/protein ideally in 4/1 ratio is ideal. Chcolate milk is a cheap good recovery food.

2009-01-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1891753

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

KOM - 2009-01-07 9:10 AM Has anyone tried the little jellybean type things? They appeal to me more than GU, and then I can just have regular water to drink.  Great suggestion with the pretzels Judi- they are a favorite of mine after a long run- simple carbs and salt.

I have never tried them but I do know people who use the sports beans and love them

2009-01-07 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi team, did my 35 min bike ride as per plan. It has been awhile since sitting on the little tiny bike seat, but I got it done. I am excited I get to run in the morning! Yippie, that is my favorite way to clear my mind.
2009-01-07 11:42 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Thanks for the info.  Since I have a 9 miler planned for this week, which unlike some of the team's speedy types, will take me well over 90 minutes. I will try something for a few calories & electrolytes somewhere at the 5 mile (60 minute) mark and see how it goes.  I love running outside in the winter because I don't sweat like I do in the summer. I will definitely have to figure out my fluid/electrolyte needs once the hot weather hits.  It gets a little tricky for me because I am also on 2 BP meds including a diuretic.  As I have exercised more this year my doses have been reduced to almost nothing Laughing, I'm hoping I might come off at my PE later this winter but will have do see.  My Dad is on dialysis from his years of high BP and his Mom died of kidney failure/CHF from her high BP so I don't want to take any risks.  I don't like feeling dizzy from a low BP either though.  I'm off to the pool soon.  So glad I ran yesterday as it is pouring rain here with puddles forming over a layer of slush....Yuck!
2009-01-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1892313

User image

Champion
MA

KOM - 2009-01-07 12:42 PM Thanks for the info.  Since I have a 9 miler planned for this week, which unlike some of the team's speedy types, will take me well over 90 minutes. I will try something for a few calories & electrolytes somewhere at the 5 mile (60 minute) mark and see how it goes.  I love running outside in the winter because I don't sweat like I do in the summer. I will definitely have to figure out my fluid/electrolyte needs once the hot weather hits.  It gets a little tricky for me because I am also on 2 BP meds including a diuretic.  As I have exercised more this year my doses have been reduced to almost nothing Laughing, I'm hoping I might come off at my PE later this winter but will have do see.  My Dad is on dialysis from his years of high BP and his Mom died of kidney failure/CHF from her high BP so I don't want to take any risks.  I don't like feeling dizzy from a low BP either though.  I'm off to the pool soon.  So glad I ran yesterday as it is pouring rain here with puddles forming over a layer of slush....Yuck!

Other options for calories on your long runs:
gummy bears/worms or any type of gummy food
Shot bloks are gummy type sports nutrition food
banana
any candy that is very low in fat and is mostly carbs
Pretzels

Goal for runs is to get maybe in 200 calories an hour. You can drink it or eat it or do a combination. For a 90' run calories may come into play at the end but when you do your 1/2 Mary how you fuel will be huge at the end.

Any food that is easy to digest doesn't have much protein or fat in it that sits well in your stomach. Gels and sports beans are in some ways very similar to candy. Candy is easier to find and much much cheaper. One goal for training runs is to practice your race nutrition to figure out what works for you.

I eat all the above stuff and worked hard at expanding what my stomach would tolerate. The one condition things change is when it is hot and humid and I'm working hard, I can't take in the same level of solids or I burp and feel like I may puke.

2009-01-07 12:05 PM

User image

Master
NJ
KOM - 2009-01-07 10:10 AM

Has anyone tried the little jellybean type things? They appeal to me more than GU, and then I can just have regular water to drink.  Great suggestion with the pretzels Judi- they are a favorite of mine after a long run- simple carbs and salt.

I did a marathon a few years ago and trained w/ jolly ranchers. If you can get over the fact that you're running with a hard candy in your mouth (like mom always yelled at me for) , they worked well for me.
2009-01-07 12:09 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Bike: 2h 40m - 43.5 Mi
Run: 1h 45m - 10.75 Mi
I guess getting in the pool would help for this IM challenge...I decided not to swim too much as it takes away lots of time w/ my kids and I won't loose too much swim fitness. I can certainly put in a few thousand yards no problem though.

Was on my way to zumba class this am. but my mom called and had locked herself out of the house. 25 mins. there and while there, we decided to check out a new indoor playground. 2 1/2 hrs. of running, climbing, jumping and general crazyness the kids are pooped and Im off to ride the trainer while they nap. aahhhhhh....
Happy training everyone

2009-01-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1892380

User image

Champion
Calgary
kristinc0916 - 2009-01-07 11:05 AM

KOM - 2009-01-07 10:10 AM

I did a marathon a few years ago and trained w/ jolly ranchers. If you can get over the fact that you're running with a hard candy in your mouth (like mom always yelled at me for) , they worked well for me.

Might as well use normal jelly beans. I have used them. They are sugar, and not much at that. Really depends on how much you need.

I eat all sorts of stuff on my rides, sandwhiches, chocolate bars, protein bars, protein powder and juice crystals, gu, CANDY GUMMIES (much cheaper than the PowerBean)
2009-01-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1892517

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

BigDH - 2009-01-07 1:38 PM
KOM - 2009-01-07 10:10 AM Has anyone tried the little jellybean type things? They appeal to me more than GU, and then I can just have regular water to drink.  Great suggestion with the pretzels Judi- they are a favorite of mine after a long run- simple carbs and salt.
Might as well use normal jelly beans. I have used them. They are sugar, and not much at that. Really depends on how much you need. I eat all sorts of stuff on my rides, sandwhiches, chocolate bars, protein bars, protein powder and juice crystals, gu, CANDY GUMMIES (much cheaper than the PowerBean)

I love Luna Moons or Shot Bloks for most long runs or rides, but I think Shot Bloks are more effective for electrolyte balance running in hot weather.  The margarita w/salt ones are the best - more salt than the other flavors - and seem to help a lot for me if I took PRIOR to running with water and BEFORE the hour is up with water on the really hot days.  One of the problems for me was waiting until I was completely dehydrated before adding back the electrolytes to help my body hang on to the water.  If I wait too long, my stomach hates ANYTHING I put in it for a while.

2009-01-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1892594

User image

Champion
Calgary
running4beer - 2009-01-07 12:06 PM

KOM - 2009-01-07 10:10 AM Has anyone tried the little jellybean type things? They appeal to me more than GU, and then I can just have regular water to drink.  Great suggestion with the pretzels Judi- they are a favorite of mine after a long run- simple carbs and salt.
Might as well use normal jelly beans. I have used them. They are sugar, and not much at that. Really depends on how much you need. I eat all sorts of stuff on my rides, sandwhiches, chocolate bars, protein bars, protein powder and juice crystals, gu, CANDY GUMMIES (much cheaper than the PowerBean)

I love Luna Moons or Shot Bloks for most long runs or rides, but I think Shot Bloks are more effective for electrolyte balance running in hot weather.  The margarita w/salt ones are the best - more salt than the other flavors - and seem to help a lot for me if I took PRIOR to running with water and BEFORE the hour is up with water on the really hot days.  One of the problems for me was waiting until I was completely dehydrated before adding back the electrolytes to help my body hang on to the water.  If I wait too long, my stomach hates ANYTHING I put in it for a while.

That all being said, I really bought into Hammer Nutrition though. Their Hammer gels are awesome. You don't need to take them with water. Absorbed quickly, you know, if you buy into what they say. Because that is the issue, you want something that flows into your body as quickly and with the least metabolic cost possible.
2009-01-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1892615

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
BigDH - 2009-01-07 2:13 PM

That all being said, I really bought into Hammer Nutrition though. Their Hammer gels are awesome. You don't need to take them with water. Absorbed quickly, you know, if you buy into what they say. Because that is the issue, you want something that flows into your body as quickly and with the least metabolic cost possible.

Significantly better than GU?  Tried it a couple times and needed tons of water with em.  Turned me off from gels entirely.

2009-01-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1890903

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
QueenZipp - 2009-01-06 5:40 PM
custer - 2009-01-06 5:59 PM
running4beer - 2009-01-06 2:33 PM

Hey, folks - I just realized that I updated my table to include Debb (IdealMuse) a while ago, but forgot to mention that to everyone else.  Sorry, Debb!  Don't want everyone to forget about you!

It's fairly easy to add her to your list if you can figure out how to edit tables on the site, but if copying and pasting and deleting the old table is easiest, here it is!

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?

I'm always having to admit that I'm blonde, but how on earth do I get this cute table thingie to my log?

Open the post like you're replying to it. 

Copy and paste it with aright mouse click. 

go to your control panel and open up your goals

Right mouse click it into your goals and hit apply.   SHOULD set it into your blog.

I am not blonde.  I am an intelligent educated woman.  I cannot figure this out.  I went to Control Panel and I didn't see the word "goals" anywhere on that page. 

Help.

Thank you. 

2009-01-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1892907

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
LeahDD - 2009-01-07 3:41 PM

I'm always having to admit that I'm blonde, but how on earth do I get this cute table thingie to my log?

Right mouse click it into your goals and hit apply.   SHOULD set it into your blog.

I am not blonde.  I am an intelligent educated woman.  I cannot figure this out.  I went to Control Panel and I didn't see the word "goals" anywhere on that page. 

Help.

Thank you. 

Go to Control Panel > Edit Your Training Settings > THEN you'll see the Goals tab. 

2009-01-07 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1892632

User image

Champion
Calgary
running4beer - 2009-01-07 12:17 PM

BigDH - 2009-01-07 2:13 PM

Significantly better than GU?  Tried it a couple times and needed tons of water with em.  Turned me off from gels entirely.

Their literature says it is different. The idea being that one should be able to independently control their hydration, electrolyte, and energy needs. I had great success with it. Hammer Gel, (endurolytes) Electrolyte pills, and water. No energy drink.

And the other thing, when do you eat the gel? On a 10 k run, you don't need it I don't think. On a 2 hour run maybe. On a 3 hour bike probably. Having a gel before a workout or race, if it helps you great. Before an Oly or a Marathon I can see having one too. However, if you are having one and then not excercising for at least 2 hours, from what I understand, you really are not doing anything because the point of the gel is to replace energy that you use up, most of us have enough carbs in our muscles to take us through a 2 hour workout. I actually had myself convinced that I NEEDED carbs and protien during a 1-2 hour workout. I had this idea that I got light headed and I needed some instant energy. I decided to suck it up and found I could get through no problem. After 2 hours though, I am currently convinced I need something.

When I did my Ironman I must have eaten 20 gels that day. And I loved every last one of them, I may not have loved the taste but to me, more than anything, it tasted like energy. I needed them so desperatly.

I suppose nutrition is an individual thing, you got to find what works. However, I really bought into the Hammer stuff. They say you do not need to replace all the water and energy and salt you lose while you excercise and if you try to replace it you will be in trouble. After, yes, replace it, fuel up. During, you are in survival mode. They had a great little magazine they handed out at a race. I think this is a link to the articles in it

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ENDURANCE_LIBRARY&CAT=MO...

2009-01-07 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I like Hammer stuff but when training for longer event trained with what they would have on the race course.

Best way to see what works for you is try different gels based on your taste buds and if doing a longer race what they will be serving on your A race course.

I remember my first gel yuck...they vary in taste and consistency.  I like Hammer Chocolate, Apple Cinnamon the best Raspberry is a distant 3rd. I like Powerbar gels (on IM race courses official M Dot races) chocolate, caramel, vanilla and plain.

Hammer you can buy in containers and put into gel flasks which makes the cost per serving much cheaper.

2009-01-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1892953

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
running4beer - 2009-01-07 12:53 PM
LeahDD - 2009-01-07 3:41 PM

Help.

Thank you. 

Go to Control Panel > Edit Your Training Settings > THEN you'll see the Goals tab. 

Hurrah!  Hurrah!  I did it.  Thank you. 

2009-01-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1891918

User image

Champion
Sydney
KathyG - 2009-01-08 2:49 AM

If I do a workout under 90' no calories just electrolytes.

I like Nuuns which has 10 calories but electorlytes.

Stores like Target sell other brands of them that are cheaper but have less electrolytes. I sweat a lot so never drink water. You sweat out salt water and to replace it with straight water you are diluting your electorlytes. Once it gets warmer it is smart to do a few sweat tests on the run and bike to see how much you sweat to estimate how much you should be drinking. Doesn't matter as much if you are doing short events that are under 2 hours...as you go longer this becomes more important.

After my workouts carbs/protein ideally in 4/1 ratio is ideal. Chcolate milk is a cheap good recovery food

hmm looks like something I would have to buy online to try but could be worth it...I havent seen much in the stores here like that...

Ive recently discovered iced mochas on skim milk....basically chocolate milk with coffee added.. I only want them occassionally but its a nice recovery treat from time to time

2009-01-07 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Kom - Those Jellybean packs were given to us at Danskin. I found them a little too hard to eat while running because they were almost too sweet and I have a sweet tooth so I don't normally mind sweet. I did use some in training they aren't so bad if you're not breathing too hard otherwise you choke on the sugar. I prefer shot blocks or Gu though. I trained my rides with shot blox. They are good but not so good that your tempted to snack on them while not training.

running4beer - thanks for the inclusion in the chart I'll have to add it to mine. I already added everyones log on my friends list.

I got my run... (or guess I should say jog now? sigh) In today. I suppose I'll take off tomorrow since my bugg is supposed to be here Friday. I have the back to training thing down pretty well but I'm struggling with keeping to my calorie limits. Not sure why because I did so well last year but it's a fight right now I'm trying to fiddle with what I'm actually eating and trying to do something close to south beach so I don't get my blood sugar all crazy.
2009-01-07 8:01 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Debb,

I saw the body bugg on Biggest Loser last night.  Then I mentioned it at work today and my coworkers were like "what's that?"  interesting concept but more accurate if it's measuring your caloric expenditure than you estimating how hard you worked out or how many calories you burn walking up stairs as opposed to an elevator.....

2009-01-07 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1893612

User image

Master
Chicago
Queen -

Yeah I saw it too last night. Was glad I ordered last week because their probably jammed with orders right now. I know the thing isn't totally accurate, but I figure it's got to be a bit closer then I was when I was just entering things myself and guessing. It's only a fun tool.

I figure if it encourages me to move more throughout the day then it's been worth the money. I know it's not going to tell me how hard I'm working but I have a HRM for that. Although... my battery just ran out on my Polar (but my treadmill luckily still picks up the info from the chest strap) guess I'll have to break the waterproof seal to replace the batteries on the watch.
2009-01-07 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
January's totals:
Bike:1h 50m 02s - 27.32 Mi
Run:1h 49m 13s - 9.75 Mi

I'm pretty much on target - like Lisa (RSC) I'm doubling up on the run portion only - but haven't gotten a swim in.  I know I can do that in two swims, 3max, one of which is on the schedule for tomorrow, so I'm not worried about it.

Very enthusiastic about my progress so far - really hoping I can keep this up.  I've got confidence I can, but I may have to do some tweaking of the schedule along the way.

So, in KathyG's 9 Commandments, one of them was about picking your race, registering, and posting a flyer or reminder of it somewhere you'll see it often - like the fridge.  I haven't signed up for a race, yet, but I have committed myself to dropping some pounds.  This may sound crazy, but to remind myself of this goal and my pursuit I've posted on my office wall an 8 1/2" x 11" page in very large characters "158".  Soooooo hate that # right now.

Facing it in the middle of the day will remind me not to graze and to make good food choices, and will make me think about what effort I've put in to exercise in my morning or what I have planned for the evening to help make that # go away.  And I don't plan on taking it down until I've made a significant enough dent to be confident I won't be drifting back up anytime soon!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71