BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4223465

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
Asalzwed - 2012-05-22 3:06 PM
TriAya - 2012-05-22 3:03 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 3:00 AM
bcraht - 2012-05-22 2:53 PM
TriAya - 2012-05-22 12:50 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 2:42 AM I am definitely a minority on my team at work. They have gone to great extents to try and get me to like seaweed. No can do. That and those freeze dried little fish. Bleh.

What kind of Asian-loving weirdo are you? Seaweed and freeze dried little fish, those are staples!

Heh. Not such a big fan of the freeze dried little fish either. They keep looking at me with those buggy little eyeballs. But I'm happy to eat them ... just not passionate about it.

Haven't tried the seaweed or the dried fishies, but I can tell you that when I was in Singapore I was told that my SO's brother was bringing breakfast home for us.  Yaaaaaay takeout!  When I opened up that lovely seaweed package and saw a small fishie starting at me, I was not quite so hungry...  The rest of the breakky was great, but fishie, not so much.

well, at least you didn't have to go to the tank and pick which fishy you wanted slaughtered

But that's the high point of eating such fresh seafood!

Heh.

Confession ... I love the fish eyeball. That's the best part. So juicy!

Do you also love the chicken's foot?

Aaii. I'm getting a little queasy now. Thanks, guys. Between thinking about green seaweed tentacles in my drink, squishy fish eyeballs, and chicken feet. I don't think I'll be eating in a while.

2012-05-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4223620

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriAya - 2012-05-22 4:07 PM
ukweeble - 2012-05-23 3:58 AM

i bet you are also a fan of pigs trotters. and i wont even mention the dogs danglies. oops

Pickled pigs' feet! Yum! I'll eat them, but not a fan.

Dogs' danglies ... never et them, but I would.

I'll pretty much eat anything except zucchini (unless I absolutely had to, to be polite), and anything that's still alive, and no shark or crocodile (we have a deal).

Right. They promise not to eat you, and you won't eat them. Laughing

2012-05-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4223749

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ukweeble - 2012-05-22 5:18 PM

Strange but i dont know what a graham cracker or an english muffin is.

Now, that is really funny. That would be like the French not knowing what French Toast is. Wink

2012-05-22 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4223989

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2012-05-22 9:06 PM

ukweeble - 2012-05-22 5:18 PM

Strange but i dont know what a graham cracker or an english muffin is.

Now, that is really funny. That would be like the French not knowing what French Toast is. Wink

Or French Fries. Or maybe not. But we finally have a topic I can weigh in on. My abilities with medicine are questionable at best, so I'll stay out of that, except to say "rest and vitamins". I swim like a wounded moose and run like a manatee, so you'll not get much coaching out of me either. Except for "Run lots, sometimes hard, mostly easy". But food, now we're talkin'. I owned a diner for 10 years, spent more than that as a line cook. Fish eyes, seaweed, Rocky Mountain Oysters, etc, here is what I do know. If it is salty, dip it in batter and fry it at 350* and it's all good! Not healthy, but yummy. If it sweet, do the same, then cover it in chocolate. Whoever deep fried the first Twinkie should have a Nobel Prize. OK, I'm done. I need to get to bed, Kim the ingleshteechur keeps motivating me to get up earlier every day.

"I'm having more fun than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater

2012-05-22 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I love the choco PB spread!  A actually used it to make mini graduation caps for my SIL's graduation party.  They were up-side-down PB cups with a dab of the choc PB to hold on the chocolate covered graham cracker morter board, with a fruit roll-up tassle.

On the training note... I am frustrated.  I have two build weeks and a taper left before my A race. I missed my long run last weekend because I was busy with church stuff.  This week I am busy with work stuff, I have already missed a bike and my session thursday is unlikely too! AAARGHHHH!

2012-05-22 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4224142

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2012-05-22 7:28 PM

I love the choco PB spread!  A actually used it to make mini graduation caps for my SIL's graduation party.  They were up-side-down PB cups with a dab of the choc PB to hold on the chocolate covered graham cracker morter board, with a fruit roll-up tassle.

On the training note... I am frustrated.  I have two build weeks and a taper left before my A race. I missed my long run last weekend because I was busy with church stuff.  This week I am busy with work stuff, I have already missed a bike and my session thursday is unlikely too! AAARGHHHH!

Sorry you are struggling, TJ.  It's frustrating when life gets in the way of training fun Smile.  Just remember that you have done a ton of work to this point, and missing a couple of workouts at this point is unlikely to take away from your fitness.  Get in the workouts you can, let go of those you can't.  Hang in there!!

2012-05-22 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Great hike today, and a good swim workout this evening, As promised, here's a pic from the hike (I'll put more in my blog...):

This was just past the trail head--you had to cross the creek to continue on the trail...

2012-05-23 12:19 AM
in reply to: #4224276

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-05-22 11:40 PM

Sorry you are struggling, TJ.  It's frustrating when life gets in the way of training fun Smile.  Just remember that you have done a ton of work to this point, and missing a couple of workouts at this point is unlikely to take away from your fitness.  Get in the workouts you can, let go of those you can't.  Hang in there!!

Absolutely agree - training is all in the bank now, I'm probably going to miss a few this week due to being sick but I figure I've done 18weeks of hard training, can't probably improve much now!

2012-05-23 5:31 AM

User image

Elite

WOAH motivation!  Macca is doing Cairns IM - cannot wait to see him in action, hope I finish the half before he finishes the full...it's gonna be close!  Cannot wait to be on the finish line until midnight cheering on the age groupers.  So special.  Will cry buckets.

No training tonight, listening to the body and it says have a beer.  So who am I to disagree.  Swim squad tomorrow.

Hubby now has my cold but his version is of course 100000000 times worse.... LOL!

2012-05-23 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ok, all this food talk is making me seriously look at my eating habits.  My weight was up 8lbs from Big Sur this morning.  Yes, only 1 month, but in my defense it has been month from H*LL!!!!

I so need to take the weight back under control.  Will be diet/eating plan researching today.  I looked in to My Fitness Plan but the calorie counting thing drives me crazy and then I just walk around feeling deprived and sorry for myself.  I have to find a way to trick my mind so that it doesn't realize I am dieting.  My mind is an all or nothing gal so if I blow it, I binge.  I don't just binge for 1 day, I binge until the next reasonable starting day, like the 1st of the month or the next Monday.  I suck at diets but I have been on probably every one known to man. 

I am too old for this $hit!!  Is there a pop tart/potato chip diet?  

Edited by jogo 2012-05-23 6:05 AM
2012-05-23 7:39 AM
in reply to: #4224394

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jogo - 2012-05-23 7:05 AM

Ok, all this food talk is making me seriously look at my eating habits.  My weight was up 8lbs from Big Sur this morning.  Yes, only 1 month, but in my defense it has been month from H*LL!!!!

I so need to take the weight back under control.  Will be diet/eating plan researching today.  I looked in to My Fitness Plan but the calorie counting thing drives me crazy and then I just walk around feeling deprived and sorry for myself.  I have to find a way to trick my mind so that it doesn't realize I am dieting.  My mind is an all or nothing gal so if I blow it, I binge.  I don't just binge for 1 day, I binge until the next reasonable starting day, like the 1st of the month or the next Monday.  I suck at diets but I have been on probably every one known to man. 

I used to be on the "O" diet. If something ended in "O", I ate it. Fritos. Cheetos. Cheerios. Yeah, not the best plan out there. So now I just try to log everything I eat, right here on BT. It forced me to take a look at the choices I was making. So, I was able to pinpoint a few items that were not helping and knock those out. This was also during a family weight challenge, so I was motivated. There are so many options available. I guess in the end you have to figure out what works for you, is it WW, or maybe Jenny Craig? Counting calories, or portion control? I think that the method you choose is not as important as the motivation. Because whichever you decide, all I know is that you have to be motivated to do it.

BTW, I am right there with you. I am struggling right now as well, and I need to get it under control. I had set a goal a while back and put it on my logs, so that when ever I log in, there it is. Constant reminder. It works for me, but I can see where it would get me agravated on the bad days if I let it. I also try to keep in mind that this is a life long choice. So bad days happen, but if I keep the overall longterm goal in mind, it's all good. I keep it in perspective by thinking about where I am now vs where I was a couple of years ago.

Edited by cdban66 2012-05-23 7:41 AM

2012-05-23 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4224286

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
kgore - 2012-05-23 12:58 AM

Great hike today, and a good swim workout this evening, As promised, here's a pic from the hike (I'll put more in my blog...):

This was just past the trail head--you had to cross the creek to continue on the trail...

Beautiful, thanks for that.
2012-05-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4224276

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
bcraht - 2012-05-23 12:40 AM

TJ, I have to agree with Kirsten. All you have done will not disappear in a few missed workouts.
2012-05-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4223620

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriAya - 2012-05-22 5:07 PM

and no shark or crocodile (we have a deal).

LOL!  Laughing

2012-05-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4223749

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ukweeble - 2012-05-22 6:18 PM

Tripopo - 2012-05-22 11:00 PM I'm thinking chocolate peanut butter spread on graham crackers or an English muffin in the morning. Even better choco-PB Waffles!!! I might be hungry.

Strange but i dont know what a graham cracker or an english muffin is. However, feed your need.

Graham Cracker

English Muffin

2012-05-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4224541

User image

Extreme Veteran
cdban66 - 2012-05-23 8:39 AM
jogo - 2012-05-23 7:05 AM

I used to be on the "O" diet. If something ended in "O", I ate it. Fritos. Cheetos. Cheerios. Yeah, not the best plan out there. So now I just try to log everything I eat, right here on BT. It forced me to take a look at the choices I was making. So, I was able to pinpoint a few items that were not helping and knock those out. This was also during a family weight challenge, so I was motivated. There are so many options available. I guess in the end you have to figure out what works for you, is it WW, or maybe Jenny Craig? Counting calories, or portion control? I think that the method you choose is not as important as the motivation. Because whichever you decide, all I know is that you have to be motivated to do it. BTW, I am right there with you. I am struggling right now as well, and I need to get it under control. I had set a goal a while back and put it on my logs, so that when ever I log in, there it is. Constant reminder. It works for me, but I can see where it would get me agravated on the bad days if I let it. I also try to keep in mind that this is a life long choice. So bad days happen, but if I keep the overall longterm goal in mind, it's all good. I keep it in perspective by thinking about where I am now vs where I was a couple of years ago.

Oh man, I'm with you guys.  It seems that every day I am just CRAVING something sweet, usually a cookie or brownie or something along those lines (Felicia, I should have joined you in the no sweets May Challenge, but I would drag down our team!!)  I do log my calories, I find it doesn't take that long. And when I see what eating something like a second M&M cookie would do to my total (this is a real life story from last night!!), it helps me make the right choice.  I did NOT eat the 2nd cookie, yay me!  I really hate it when I don't look up something's calorie/nutrition info and eat it, then find out it was 500 cals and 20g of fat.  If I had known, I would have skipped it (real life example: butterfinger brownie. Holy S**t that looks good.  190 cals and 9g fat...for a THIRD of it. Well we know I ain't stopping after a third.  Put it back.)  I've also been really trying to have more fruit and veggies.  You don't get fat eating those, so go to town! I'll make the husband his fave rice pilaf with butter etc. and have steamed brussel sprouts or green giant broccoli and cheese singles for my side.  Load that plate with fresh veggies and it should really help.  Of course, this is all so easy for me to say. In practice...well, there's a chocolate dipped-peppermint-chocolate shortbread cookie bar with my name on it at the local coffee house that i WILL be eating today.  Once a week is the deal I made with myself.  Best to do it on track session day. Cool  Sigh, why do all these yummies have to exist??

2012-05-23 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
rrrunner - 2012-05-22 10:28 PM

Agree with everyone else - if it makes you feel better, I missed TWO WEEKS of workouts for no reason other than busy/lazy before my first tri, and I still rocked it.  Try to squeeze in one of each sport if you can, just to keep yourself sharp, but you will be just fine Cool 

2012-05-23 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

rrrunner - 2012-05-22 10:28 PMOn the training note... I am frustrated.  I have two build weeks and a taper left before my A race. I missed my long run last weekend because I was busy with church stuff.  This week I am busy with work stuff, I have already missed a bike and my session thursday is unlikely too! AAARGHHHH!

Like I said to Jo last week, sometimes I think that the scheduling is as difficult as the training!

I feel your pain.  My current training block is good up until 3 Mountain Madness.  Then I do the ride on Saturday, regular swim on Sunday but Long Run on Monday.  I predict and early bedtime that day! 

Oh well, no one made me sign up for both 3MM and Vineman and I do think that after the climbs in June, Vineman's hills in July will look smaller.

2012-05-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4224375

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-05-23 5:31 PM

WOAH motivation!  Macca is doing Cairns IM - cannot wait to see him in action, hope I finish the half before he finishes the full...it's gonna be close!  Cannot wait to be on the finish line until midnight cheering on the age groupers.  So special.  Will cry buckets.

No training tonight, listening to the body and it says have a beer.  So who am I to disagree.  Swim squad tomorrow.

Hubby now has my cold but his version is of course 100000000 times worse.... LOL!

That's because Fotis has man flu, ha ha. Ah, give him a cuddle from me, tell him I hope he feels better. Ahem, does he have any unmarried brothers by chance?

I agree with everyone else ... your money's in the bank and your body will probably do BETTER for the extra time to build back from all the training.

2012-05-23 10:23 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Kate: the pic from your hike looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

TJ: yeah, life has a way of throwing curve balls.  You have a great base, you should be fine.  Even if you can squeeze in a short workout in the place of a long one, it is something.

Jo: so cool you and Macca will be at the same venue!  And glad to hear your cold is improving. 

The other Jo: yes, food and weight are such a struggle for me, too.  Definitely up the veggies and fruit.  Not only are they generally less calories for more bulk, but they add fiber which is good as filler and also to, uh, keep things moving.  I'm currently in a diet slump, too, which I know is tied to my post-race slump.  My motivation is to be leaner so I can be faster and healthier, so I try to imagine how much easier running and biking [up hills] will be if I can drop 10 lbs. or so.

Kirk: I am SO hungry for Nutella and PB on waffles thanks to you!

Chris: Never tried deep-fried Twinkie but I do know that deep-fried Oreos dusted with confectioner's sugar is sinfully wonderful!

Allen and Yanti: you can keep your chicken feet and fish eyes and whatnot!   The area I live in has a good deal of weird foods some of which absolutely turn my stomach just at the smell.  Scrapple.  Puddin. Tripe.  Head cheese. Blech, I gotta stop.  I'm making myself sick!

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-23 10:29 AM
2012-05-23 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks all for the encouragement.  It does help me worry less about Moab.  We train to live, not live to train, right? Sometimes I get that backwards.

Salty, thanks for the tip on the RunKeeper!  I love that it will shuffle my playlist AND tracks each mile! Awesome! Have you tried it on the bike?

2012-05-23 10:35 AM

User image

Melon Presser
I really must have made the full transformation into Manatee. I can't stop munching on seaweed. It's so delicious!

(P5230010 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
P5230010 (Small).JPG (46KB - 10 downloads)
2012-05-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4224583

User image

Master
Central Kansas
jmkizer - 2012-05-23 7:59 AM
ukweeble - 2012-05-22 6:18 PM

Tripopo - 2012-05-22 11:00 PM I'm thinking chocolate peanut butter spread on graham crackers or an English muffin in the morning. Even better choco-PB Waffles!!! I might be hungry.

Strange but i dont know what a graham cracker or an english muffin is. However, feed your need.

Graham Cracker

English Muffin

Mmmm. Please pass some Nutella or Peanut Butter to go with those graham crackers.

I am starving!!!! I had a piece of strawberry swirl banana bread before my run this morning. Ran 6 miles, had a cup of hot tea, just finished a banana with Nutella, and it's an hour until lunch!

I already have that planned, too. Green salad with grilled chicken breast. I've been thinking about it since I went to bed last night. lol

Our Administrative Assistant brought in left over birthday cake from her daughter's 18th birthday. I am resisting. I know I would feel just horrible if I ate it, emotionally as well as physically.

I'll keep thinking about my grilled chicken breast with greens.

Did I mention that I am starving???

2012-05-23 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Be strong Felicia.  Whenever my co-workers bring in a cake I can usually resist.  Once in a while I cave and I agree with you that it's a physical as well as emotional sickenning.
2012-05-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4225056

User image

Master

TriAya - 2012-05-23 8:35 AM I really must have made the full transformation into Manatee. I can't stop munching on seaweed. It's so delicious!

There has GOT to be some sort of joke about seaweed muncher, but I am too hungry to come up with it right now....

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80