General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-17 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3554222

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 10:58 AM
3Aims - 2011-06-17 5:55 AM
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 12:06 AM

Woohoo! Today I got the ok from my PT to cover the marathon portion of the race. Laughing

It's been a long road back from the ankle ligament rupture & tear, but I've been running for a while and now we're confident I can make it through without setting myself back. I'll probably only be able to run about a third of it because my running mileage the last couple months isn't enough to support running the whole distance.  I'll walk the rest and do my best to be a moving cheering section for all you folks running past me, if I'm actually in front of anybody at that point.  For me, it will truly be a case of just being happy to finish before the cutoff.  I'm psyched to not have to call it a day after the bike.

Now I have to figure out what to put in my T2 bag because I hadn't been planning on using that ...

Brad

That is fantastic news.......A friend of mine did Ironman Texas last month and she did the same thing.  She hammered the swim and bike knowing she would have to walk the run.  She said she saved her "slow jog" for passing the main crowd on each loop and for the last half mile.  She did a 13:30 or so.  You can still post a great time. 

Thanks for the example.  Nice to know it has worked out for others.  I must admit I have thought about giving it a little more oomph in the second bike loop than I normally would since I know I have to walk most of the mary anyway.  There is a certain amount freedom in that.

She did a 1:17 non-wet suit swim and a 6:05 bike split.  Both PRs for her versus, ironically, CdA.  Then walked and did very light jogging at spots and it took her around 5:45-6 hours.  She ran the last half mile and said it hurt like hell, but no way was she going to walk the last part.       

2011-06-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

All you strong and sexy tri ladies! I have gear to give away!

I haven't had luck selling these items, so PM me if you want either and I'll bring it to CDA and gift it to you.

Carbon sole tri bike shoes. Never used. Euro Size 37 which says it's 7 US but I think it's more like a 6.5

Compression 3/4 tights. Size large.  I wore these once and decided they were a bit too big and too long to line up with knee.

(trivent.JPG)

(tights.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
trivent.JPG (46KB - 11 downloads)
tights.JPG (39KB - 8 downloads)
2011-06-17 2:57 PM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Just back from 3.5 hour road trip to drop off bike for transport. I walk into the shop and tell the young man behind the counter that I'm here to drop off my bike for TBT and he gives me a blank look that makes my stomach drop into my shoes. Luckily another (older) guy comes out from the back and says "TBT?. Just bring her in over here." I feel much better instantly, and even buy a few extra things from their shop out of pure relief.
2011-06-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3554729

User image

New user

Dallas, TX

jamesarr - 2011-06-17 2:57 PM Just back from 3.5 hour road trip to drop off bike for transport. I walk into the shop and tell the young man behind the counter that I'm here to drop off my bike for TBT and he gives me a blank look that makes my stomach drop into my shoes. Luckily another (older) guy comes out from the back and says "TBT?. Just bring her in over here." I feel much better instantly, and even buy a few extra things from their shop out of pure relief.

I'm glad you had a better experience with TriBike Transport than I did. I made my reservation back in February and the web site indicated that my drop off date was Saturday, June 18th. I bring my bike in for a tune up on Monday June 13th knowing that I have plenty of time to get it back and ride it a couple of times before I need to drop it off. My coach has bike workouts for me Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning.

In the middle of the night Monday night, I get an email from TriBike Transport saying that they have changed my drop off day to Thursday, 2 days earlier. I frantically call the bike shop to see if I can get my bike done early so I can at least ride it one time before having to turn it in.

It may be the taper madness kicking in, but I really wanted to go honey badger on their a$$!

2011-06-17 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3554615

New user
kiki_zen - 2011-06-17 12:52 PM

All you strong and sexy tri ladies! I have gear to give away!

I haven't had luck selling these items, so PM me if you want either and I'll bring it to CDA and gift it to you.

Carbon sole tri bike shoes. Never used. Euro Size 37 which says it's 7 US but I think it's more like a 6.5

Compression 3/4 tights. Size large.  I wore these once and decided they were a bit too big and too long to line up with knee.

My wife would like them.  We live in the Salt Lake Valley as well so we could always pick them up so you do not have to transport them to CDA...

2011-06-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3553554

User image

Master

tamason - 2011-06-16 8:45 PM Just when I was starting to get down and out it may be raining for the event, I suddenly came to the realization:  Nobody will know when I'm peeing on the bike!!!    Maintain clearance behind #2226 folks!!Surprised

I did a rainy HIM two years ago... and peed on the bike twice. I only did it cuz it was raining. In CDA last year it was hot and dry and I knew in advance I would not pee on the bike. Darn it, I stopped 4-5x to pee!! I was thinking this year that I may actually be faster in rain if I don't have to stop to pee. So it wouldn't be all bad, right?!!

2011-06-17 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3554924

User image

Regular
NW
kkcbelle - 2011-06-17 3:30 PM

tamason - 2011-06-16 8:45 PM Just when I was starting to get down and out it may be raining for the event, I suddenly came to the realization:  Nobody will know when I'm peeing on the bike!!!    Maintain clearance behind #2226 folks!!Surprised

I did a rainy HIM two years ago... and peed on the bike twice. I only did it cuz it was raining. In CDA last year it was hot and dry and I knew in advance I would not pee on the bike. Darn it, I stopped 4-5x to pee!! I was thinking this year that I may actually be faster in rain if I don't have to stop to pee. So it wouldn't be all bad, right?!!

kkcbelle,  I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that post.  Everyone should always stop at the port-a-potties rain or shine.

2011-06-17 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
SE

good site for packing lists for you slackers out there:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/06/race-day-race-travel-checklists.html

2011-06-17 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3554924

User image

Biddeford, Maine
kkcbelle - 2011-06-17 6:30 PM

I did Mooseman 70.3 in the rain last year ( poured on bike and run and was in the low 50's). Not only did I pee on the bike....I peed on the run, in the pouring cold rain. Does that make me a bad person or a good honey badger?
2011-06-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3554755

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
denisewhitson - 2011-06-17 4:16 PM

jamesarr - 2011-06-17 2:57 PM Just back from 3.5 hour road trip to drop off bike for transport. I walk into the shop and tell the young man behind the counter that I'm here to drop off my bike for TBT and he gives me a blank look that makes my stomach drop into my shoes. Luckily another (older) guy comes out from the back and says "TBT?. Just bring her in over here." I feel much better instantly, and even buy a few extra things from their shop out of pure relief.

I'm glad you had a better experience with TriBike Transport than I did. I made my reservation back in February and the web site indicated that my drop off date was Saturday, June 18th. I bring my bike in for a tune up on Monday June 13th knowing that I have plenty of time to get it back and ride it a couple of times before I need to drop it off. My coach has bike workouts for me Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning.

In the middle of the night Monday night, I get an email from TriBike Transport saying that they have changed my drop off day to Thursday, 2 days earlier. I frantically call the bike shop to see if I can get my bike done early so I can at least ride it one time before having to turn it in.

It may be the taper madness kicking in, but I really wanted to go honey badger on their a$$!

Arrrgh! That would definitely make me want to bite some heads off. Now, I was dealing with the shop guys, and not actual TBT so I'm still withholding judgement on them. Just got a call that they'd fixed a problem (hopefully) that the local guys hadn't figured out in 3 tries. Wish they (Swim, Bike, Run of Kentucky) were 90 minutes closer. I'd be there regularly.

2011-06-17 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Im waiting till tuesday (we hit the road on wednesday) to get my stuff packed because with three kids in the house, I'm more likely to lose something when it's all located in one place, lol.

2011-06-17 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3553387

User image

Master
Vista, CA
phatknot - 2011-06-16 6:02 PM

got great news on fb from the shark in augusta (csharp on bt). he's doing his fb and twitter updating service for donations only   taking on wtc! im sure he will post the link to register and donate for the updates. they worked a charm at IMFL last year!

check this out:

http://www.krem.com/sports/hoopfest-ironman/Excitment-building-as-Ironman-essentials-arrive-in-Coeur-dAlene-124038374.html

Be sure to let us know when he posts his updating service. I'd definitely be interested.
2011-06-17 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3554985

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
charlesmoss - 2011-06-17 7:41 PM

I did Mooseman 70.3 in the rain last year ( poured on bike and run and was in the low 50's). Not only did I pee on the bike....I peed on the run, in the pouring cold rain. Does that make me a bad person or a good honey badger?

I also did Augusta in the rain last year. Wasn't too bad, since it kept the heat down, but then the sun came out of the run and it felt like being inside a bamboo steamer for the last 7 miles. Also, I didn't think I got the full "race experience" if you know what I mean. Did a local 70.3 5-6 weeks ago in the rain, and got some big blisters on the run after putting nice dry socks on in T2 since we got poured on a couple of times. I guess I'll take rain and multiple sock changes vs. 90 degrees and direct sun, but I'm hoping to avoid any extremes, except extremely nice. Wink

2011-06-17 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3555011

User image

Elite
SE

he's working on it as i just noticed his twitter feed had a test update from syracuse 70.3 

www.RaceDayTracker.com

2011-06-17 8:05 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
I plan to get started with packing on Sunday, to fly out (with my bike) on Thursday morning. I need to do a full cleaning/tune up tomorrow, and then will ride with the disc cover for a couple of hours on Sunday and make sure everything is right. I've gone back and forth on the disc cover, but since the only reason I have not to use it is being a wimp about possible wind, I've convinced myself to go for it.

What are people doing for pre-race hydration plans? Macca's book talks about the difference between plasma hydration, which can be accomplished in a day or two, and muscle hydration, which takes a week or two and requires electrolytes to effectively push the water into muscle storage. I have no idea if this is real or not, but plan to drink a quart or two a day of a heavy electrolyte drink starting this Sunday to give myself the best shot at avoiding cramping, even though a hot race looks unlikely from the current forecast.
2011-06-17 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
You definitely need to ride the disc cover.  Never a reason not to!

Dropped my bike for TBT today.  I feel lonely somehow...

2011-06-17 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3555011

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
jamesarr - 2011-06-17 5:03 PM
charlesmoss - 2011-06-17 7:41 PM

I also did Augusta in the rain last year. Wasn't too bad, since it kept the heat down, but then the sun came out of the run and it felt like being inside a bamboo steamer for the last 7 miles. Also, I didn't think I got the full "race experience" if you know what I mean. Did a local 70.3 5-6 weeks ago in the rain, and got some big blisters on the run after putting nice dry socks on in T2 since we got poured on a couple of times. I guess I'll take rain and multiple sock changes vs. 90 degrees and direct sun, but I'm hoping to avoid any extremes, except extremely nice. Wink

As #2225 I hope you can make it out of transition without having to pee!

I did CDA in 2009 when it rained and was in the 50s.  I was too damn cold to pee on the bike like I normally do.  I wasn't happy!  I was less happy on the run at mile 15 when i started shivering.  There is a reason I live in So Cal.  I also did CDA in 2006 when it was 98.  That said - Give me some Pacific Northwest heat! 
2011-06-17 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3555059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

What are people doing for pre-race hydration plans?

Since I'll be spending wed/thu/friday all driving around 6 hours a day, I'm really going to try and cut back on my normal road trip beverage:  Diet Coke, and have water and gatorade instead.    Saturday I plan to be drinking gatorade pretty much all day long.

2011-06-17 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
TBT picked up my bike yesterday so I'm using my mountain bike.  About 12 miles from my house.........flat.  Ever ride on a flat for 5 miles?  Then ran with bike the rest.  So much for an easy ride for a hour. 
2011-06-17 10:27 PM

Speaking of hydration...what is everyone's pre-race dinner plan?  I usually make sure I do a lighter "normal" low fat type of dinner before my long training days, but what do you guys do?  I also have read/heard the last bigger meal should be roughly 18hrs before race start or breakfast the day before.
2011-06-17 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3555194

User image

Veteran
Dallas

ironman5 - 2011-06-17 10:27 PM Speaking of hydration...what is everyone's pre-race dinner plan?  I usually make sure I do a lighter "normal" low fat type of dinner before my long training days, but what do you guys do?  I also have read/heard the last bigger meal should be roughly 18hrs before race start or breakfast the day before.

Here is my personal magic touch.  Run on Thurs for 30 minutes (about 4 miles) to slightly deplete reserves.  Eat lots of pasta, potatoes, rice, cereals, and fruit on Thurs and Fri.  Drink equal amounts of water and sports drinks.  I even continue to drink soda.  Sat is back to a normal intake.  I'm not a fan of water/garorade logging on Sat or eating too much the day before.  Works for me.     

2011-06-17 11:12 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Dropped my bike with TBT yesterday and got the confirmation email today that it got picked up.  Almost like a kid off at camp getting that call that everything is alright. Weird feeling.
2011-06-17 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3553592

Champion
No excuses!
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 1:06 AM

Woohoo! Today I got the ok from my PT to cover the marathon portion of the race. Laughing

It's been a long road back from the ankle ligament rupture & tear, but I've been running for a while and now we're confident I can make it through without setting myself back. I'll probably only be able to run about a third of it because my running mileage the last couple months isn't enough to support running the whole distance.  I'll walk the rest and do my best to be a moving cheering section for all you folks running past me, if I'm actually in front of anybody at that point.  For me, it will truly be a case of just being happy to finish before the cutoff.  I'm psyched to not have to call it a day after the bike.

Now I have to figure out what to put in my T2 bag because I hadn't been planning on using that ...

Brad

That is awesome news. And to think a while back you were asking about dropping out and getting a partial refund to now the excitement of doing it all even with some walking who cares. Cool

2011-06-17 11:15 PM

Champion
No excuses!
We only need 25 pages in the next 8 days to hit 200. Time to step it up peeps Laughing
2011-06-17 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3555194

User image

Regular
Madison, AL

I like the KISS principle when it comes to pre-race nutrition.

My dining will consist of:

Vegetarian spaghetti by 6.  much water and 1-2 glasses of wine (for sleep) by 7.  In bed by 9?  Up at ~4 am.  Eat bowl of cereal, can of ensure or carnation, banana, couple spoons of PB, coffee.

I'm Working tomorrow & monday.  Flying out bright and early tuesday morning.  We will be driving up to see grand coulee dam Tuesday night/Wed morning.  Then over to CDA by Wed afternoon.  Hope to meet ya'll at the moose Thursday morning.  Get registered, get bike from TBT.  Swim again Friday morning and easy peasy 20/20 minute bike/run.  Sat  morning, easy 30 min swim. 

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171