Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-03-01 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1857242

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
Hello Team,

I finished my mini project for you all! I took some pictures of me doing physical therapy (PT) exercises, core work, and some stretches. I have created some captions for each shot. They were taken right after a run (speed work at that) so I will probably look a little zombie like They are also not pro pics but it's the idea that counts, right?

I put them on www.snapfish.com since the album here on BT would not allow me to upload them all. I don't use Facebook at this time and was not sure if you all did either. With Snapfish, you will need to create a free account but it only takes a couple of minutes.

I have sent you all a PM (private message) here on BT. Please let me know if you have questions about how to check for PMs, the pics, or anything else we need to discuss. Take a look and we can go from there. I do each and every movement you see here at least 1-2x a week and stretch 1-2x/day.

Thanks!

Tony

2009-03-01 7:53 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

How was everyone's weekend?

-What goals did we meet?

-Any specific set-backs?

I actually ran 6 miles in the snow lined trails near my house. Yeah, it was slow, cold, and not the brightest thing I have done lately! But, it was fun!

Here's a pic of me and Craig after the run. Note he is smiling (in red jacket), and I am not

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-03-01 8:06 PM
2009-03-01 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1986632

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-02-27 5:38 PM

Working OT this weekend (cause soon there wont be any). Still will get my rides and runs in. Im working both days this weekend. I have a plan that I will be starting on monday for the ironman..Its a 36 week plan but Im jumping in at week 26. I like it and it looks like a good fit for me.

Have a great weekend all

Good deal Nate! Keep us posted re the IMLou training and let me know if you have questions about IM training...

Tony
2009-03-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1990312

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-03-01 8:53 PM

Hey gang,

-What goals did we meet?

-Any specific set-backs?

I actually ran 6 miles in the snow lined trails near my house. Yeah, it was slow, cold, and not the brightest thing I have done lately! But, it was fun!

Here's a pic of me and Craig after the run. Note he is smiling (in red jacket), and I am not

Tony

Don't you just look like a happy camper?

Georgia weather kills me. I did my long run on Saturday in shorts and a t-shirt (short sleeve). My husband kept telling me it would snow Sunday and I didn't believe it - until we left church and it was actually snowing (kiddos went nuts w/excitement).

We lost power for several hours Sunday but I managed to get my trainer workout in. All in all I had a good weekend. Can't say that I ventured out to run in the snow - but did participate in a snowball fight!
2009-03-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1990261

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-03-01 8:41 PM

Hello Team,

I finished my mini project for you all! I took some pictures of me doing physical therapy (PT) exercises, core work, and some stretches. I have created some captions for each shot. They were taken right after a run (speed work at that) so I will probably look a little zombie like They are also not pro pics but it's the idea that counts, right?

I put them on www.snapfish.com since the album here on BT would not allow me to upload them all. I don't use Facebook at this time and was not sure if you all did either. With Snapfish, you will need to create a free account but it only takes a couple of minutes.

I have sent you all a PM (private message) here on BT. Please let me know if you have questions about how to check for PMs, the pics, or anything else we need to discuss. Take a look and we can go from there. I do each and every movement you see here at least 1-2x a week and stretch 1-2x/day.

Thanks!

Tony

Thanks for posting the pics. Do you do this entire routine each time?? How long does it take you?
2009-03-02 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
Pretty good weekend.  I did a fast (for me) run on saturday.  It was perfect weather.  Shorts, sleeveless t.  I am trying to get my times up and tried hard but fell way short of my goal which is frustrating.  I am getting a bit faster but not what I really want which is a 10 min mile sustained for an hour...Oh well..I guess keep on trying.  Sunday I did a long ride on my trainer looking out over the forrest in my back yard.  I put the bike right up against the window so it was like riding outside in the snow.  Very cool!  It made the 2hrs go by quickly...

2009-03-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1990911

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-03-02 8:16 AM

tribesman - 2009-03-01 8:41 PM

Hello Team,

Thanks!

Tony

Thanks for posting the pics. Do you do this entire routine each time?? How long does it take you?

Hi Sandy,

Yes, as far as core and the PT exercises, I do them all each time. If I am short on time though, I omit a couple but ensure I hit each key area at least once. My PT told me the core work is over half the battle since a strong core is very important for multisport and a strong overall body.

It takes about 25-40 minutes, depending on how much I do. I usually do all at least once, and some 2-3 times per session for certain movements.

Did the exercies/pics make sense?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-03-02 9:42 AM
2009-03-02 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1990909

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-03-02 8:15 AM

tribesman - 2009-03-01 8:53 PM

Hey gang,

-What goals did we meet?

-Any specific set-backs?

Tony

Georgia weather kills me. I did my long run on Saturday in shorts and a t-shirt (short sleeve). My husband kept telling me it would snow Sunday and I didn't believe it - until we left church and it was actually snowing (kiddos went nuts w/excitement).

We lost power for several hours Sunday but I managed to get my trainer workout in. All in all I had a good weekend. Can't say that I ventured out to run in the snow - but did participate in a snowball fight!

Good job getting both sessions in! In retrospect I would have flipped my ride and run...
2009-03-02 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Nice picture Tony.  I see you both wore your Brooks Trail shoes for the adventure.

Well, I have a confession to make and I figured this was as good a place as any.  I wimped out of my 20 mile run this weekend.  I had such grand plans and they all went by the way side.  I had planned on doing it in Chattanooga on Saturday morning.  Combination of driving rain and not knowing the mountain caused me to 'analyze' it away because I could do it the next day and just skip my bike ride.  Well, Sunday came and a snow storm caused us to have to leave early back to Atlanta from Nashville.  I asked to be dropped off at the SCT and I would run my 20 miler and Nan could come pick me up in 2.5 hrs.  Then as we approached Atlanta, it was 34 degrees and a driving rain/sleet storm.  So I decided to just hit the trainer when I got home.

Now, I did have a victory because I was on my trainer for just about 2 hrs.  Was above my power zones for the entire set.  Granted that was expected because I hadn't trained all weekend.  So I sent my coach a note saying that I didn't get my run in.  He responded with a: "You didn't get your 20 miles in?"...not once but twice!  I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

So I get my weekly set of workouts and guess what I get to do today... a 20 mile run!  BUT..combine that with a 15 mile Tempo run on Sunday and 2 more runs this week.  So that's a 45 mile week and 2 FTP bike session as well and 2 swim sessions.  I'm going to be loving life this week.  :P

But the moral to the story is this:  Respect the long run.  They are the most important to your training.  And as Tony learned too, look ahead and adjust your schedule accordingly if you can predict things that may hinder your plans.  I am usually good at that but failed this weekend.  Now I get to pay for it.

Now I feel better...

2009-03-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1990909

User image

Veteran
Georgia

swise - 2009-03-02 7:15 AM
tribesman - 2009-03-01 8:53 PM Hey gang, I actually ran 6 miles in the snow lined trails near my house. Yeah, it was slow, cold, and not the brightest thing I have done lately! But, it was fun! Here's a pic of me and Craig after the run. Note he is smiling (in red jacket), and I am not http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail... Tony

The reason I'm smiling is because Tony tried to go more "off trail" and ended up stepping in to very soft, wet dirt that came up almost to his knees.   Of course, being the good friend I am, I just laughed watching him struggle to get out of the "quick sand" instead of helping him.

As funny as it was, it also makes a good case for the stretches and core work Tony shared.  Trail running can be tricky with loose dirt, rocks, tree roots, etc...but with routine stretching and core work you are less <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} susceptible to injury if the unexpected occurs. 

2009-03-02 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran

Awsome day today in the pool. I still had not recieved my drills yet from the coach (had them when I got home though) so I deceided to swim 2000m and see how it goes. I not only swam the 2000 but an extra 1000m. WOOT my longest one day swim. I did 3 x 1000 with a 2 minute break inbetween. The BEST part was that all 3 were 22 minutes. I thought the last one would be slower but it wasn`t. I still felt great at the end of it, not tired, could have done more but didnt want to push it more then that. 22 minutes is 4 minuets faster then I have ever been able to swim 1000m and to do it 3 time in a row. Big grin on my face Laughing since then.

I then went home and rode my bike. Part of me is glad to hear about the snow down thereWink.

I will try again to post the picutres of the amount we get here.

That swim time puts me into the time zone that I have planned for race day. With 6 months to go...who knows now.

Have a great night all and happy training

2009-03-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1991089

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-02 9:36 AM

Pretty good weekend.  I did a fast (for me) run on saturday.  It was perfect weather.  Shorts, sleeveless t.  I am trying to get my times up and tried hard but fell way short of my goal which is frustrating.  I am getting a bit faster but not what I really want which is a 10 min mile sustained for an hour...Oh well..I guess keep on trying.  Sunday I did a long ride on my trainer looking out over the forrest in my back yard.  I put the bike right up against the window so it was like riding outside in the snow.  Very cool!  It made the 2hrs go by quickly...

Ali,

Great job getting the training in this past weekend! Keep up the hard work and it will pay off this spring, summer, and fall!

Tony
2009-03-03 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1992449

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-03-02 5:40 PM

Awsome day today in the pool. I still had not recieved my drills yet from the coach (had them when I got home though) so I deceided to swim 2000m and see how it goes. I not only swam the 2000 but an extra 1000m. WOOT my longest one day swim. I did 3 x 1000 with a 2 minute break inbetween. The BEST part was that all 3 were 22 minutes. I thought the last one would be slower but it wasn`t. I still felt great at the end of it, not tired, could have done more but didnt want to push it more then that. 22 minutes is 4 minuets faster then I have ever been able to swim 1000m and to do it 3 time in a row. Big grin on my face Laughing since then.

I then went home and rode my bike. Part of me is glad to hear about the snow down thereWink.

I will try again to post the picutres of the amount we get here.

That swim time puts me into the time zone that I have planned for race day. With 6 months to go...who knows now.

Have a great night all and happy training

Nate,

Nice work sir! Glad to hear things are going well in the pool. With 6 months to go? Man, I see HUGE improvements headed your way!

Keep it up...
Tony
2009-03-03 11:24 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Nutrition information
Hey gang,

A couple of weekends ago I attended a seminiar where nutritionist Marie Spano (www.mariespano.com ) spoke. She offered some good information I'd like to share. I took two pages of notes. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. (some of this we have already discussed )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes from Marie Spano’s nutrition seminar “Nutritio Periodizaton and Recovery”
2-21-09 at YMCA at Carver Center

She was good overall, is a runner, and ran cross country in College. I believe that helps when working with other endurance athletes.

Legend:
gr = grams
kg = kilograms
CHO = carbohydrates
PRO = protein
Oz = ounces

Based on your body weight, we as endurance athletes need:

• CHO = 5-7gr / kg based on “normal training”; 7-10 gr while training intensely or for
a longer race
• PRO = 1.2-2 gr/kg
• Fats = 1 gr/kg
• 0.5-1 ounce / pound of fluid daily; prevent NO MORE than 2% drop in body weight
any anytime, including races
• For greater than 1 hour of training, we need 30-60 CHO/hour
• Avoid lots of fructose as it can cause gastric distress

For an average pre-competition meal and based on our body weight, we need:

• 1-2 gr/CHO/kg body weight
• 0.15- 0.25 gr/ PRO/kg
• 17-20oz fluids 2 hours prior to the start
• 10 oz of fluid 10-20 minutes before

Poor recovery can lead to injuries and poor performance. Good ways to aid in recovery and help prevent injuries are massage, foam rolling, use of a tennis ball, icing, and stretching. Liquid is the best source for recovery, such as an Endurox R4 type drink. This recovery drink should be a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of CHO to PRO. Additionally, we should eat every 2 hours after intense training (if training early morning or mid-day.) For evening training, a recovery drink and recovery meal will suffice.

UPDATED (page 2)

- Omega 3 fatty acids can possibly decrease inflammation, is good overall for your body, and can help with depression (fish, tuna, twice a week is recommended or in the form of fish capsules as a suppliment...)
- Caffeine is good in moderation and can possible decrease muscle damange
- Anthocyanins can help limit tissue degradation (red, blue berries)
- Choline (wheat germ, eggs, chicken, beef, oat bran, salmon, brocoli) and Betanine rich diets can reduce levels of inflammatory markers

-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do we think team?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-03-03 12:37 PM
2009-03-04 1:03 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hello Team,

Don't forget that Daylight Savings Time (DST) begins this Sunday morning, March 8th, at 2am.

Spring forward one hour (so we can ride after work!)

Tony
2009-03-07 3:22 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hello Gang,

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

GA friends - the weather is near perfect here so no excuses!

Tony

2009-03-09 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hi Gang,

Great week of training since it was a recovery week!  I still struggle with my weight/nutrition so the post about meals grams of carbs etc etc is useful.  I have added recovery drinks like muscle milk after a hard workout and it really seems to help.  I am also really planning on tuning it in the next few weeks as I ramp up for ING Half Mary...

BUt..MY BIG news since it was a recovery week I used it to take care of the odds and ends I couldn't do during intense weeks.  I got my new Garmin and my new DeSoto Wetsuit this week but (drum roll please...) My big news is that I went for a 2hr ride and for the first time rode in aero...OMG  I LOVE AERO!!!!  How could I have waited so long to try it?  It was no problem at all.  I first practiced in a big empty parking lot on sat then used my new skills on sunday...wow it really makes a difference...I also bought a book about bike riding so I need to read it about when to use the aero position and when not to.  I guess up/down steep hills is a no.  I know that group rides its a no but when else?   I have to admit..I feel so 'cool' as I ride in the position.  I noticed watching the Kona coverage the hot atheletes ride with their butt back on the seat with their backs flat.  Some of the novices seemed hunched over and were kinda forward on their seat.  I tried to be aware of my form and stay scooted back but I noticed as I got tired I wanted to slide forward.   I also cursed my two children and my penchant for beer and pizza as I realized my tummy is in the way.  All the more reason to continue to improve on the food issues.  Each week I feel more and more like a real triathlete.  I certainly have put in the hours and I feel like I am really starting to get in the grove...Getting low was a big step......Smile

2009-03-09 12:22 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey team,

-What goals did we meet?

-Any set backs?

-Lesson's Learned?

Tony
2009-03-09 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Big weekend for me..6 hours total. Feel great today. I am really happy using the infinity. I need to order the run formula and get that working for me as well.Laughing

Another WOW day for me at the pool. Swam a 45 second 50m. Never a month ago would I have thought that 45 seconds was even attainable for me. I in a very good mood Laughing

Hope all went well for everyone else.

Have a great day

2009-03-09 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2006398

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: aero riding
afrutoz - 2009-03-09 1:02 PM

Hi Gang,

Great week of training since it was a recovery week!  I still struggle with my weight/nutrition so the post about meals grams of carbs etc etc is useful.  I have added recovery drinks like muscle milk after a hard workout and it really seems to help.  I am also really planning on tuning it in the next few weeks as I ramp up for ING Half Mary...

BUt..MY BIG news since it was a recovery week I used it to take care of the odds and ends I couldn't do during intense weeks.  I got my new Garmin and my new DeSoto Wetsuit this week but (drum roll please...) My big news is that I went for a 2hr ride and for the first time rode in aero...OMG  I LOVE AERO!!!!  How could I have waited so long to try it?  It was no problem at all.  I first practiced in a big empty parking lot on sat then used my new skills on sunday...wow it really makes a difference...I also bought a book about bike riding so I need to read it about when to use the aero position and when not to.  I guess up/down steep hills is a no.  I know that group rides its a no but when else?   I have to admit..I feel so 'cool' as I ride in the position.  I noticed watching the Kona coverage the hot atheletes ride with their butt back on the seat with their backs flat.  Some of the novices seemed hunched over and were kinda forward on their seat.  I tried to be aware of my form and stay scooted back but I noticed as I got tired I wanted to slide forward.   I also cursed my two children and my penchant for beer and pizza as I realized my tummy is in the way.  All the more reason to continue to improve on the food issues.  Each week I feel more and more like a real triathlete.  I certainly have put in the hours and I feel like I am really starting to get in the grove...Getting low was a big step......Smile

Ali,

Glad you are using recovery drinks...they really help! Good news also re the Garmin and Wetsuit. If you are doing the John Tanner race, you will likely get to use both

Regarding your aero question, are you using clip-on aero bars on your road bike or did you get a tri bike? I ask as your position will likely be different and if you plan to ride with clip-ons, be sure to get properly fitted for the best aero position and most importantly, comfort. I stay in aero as long as I can and really try and stay down for most of the ride. Over a 3 hour ride I will be out of aero maybe only a few minutes. Like you said, it will take some time to get used to it but once you feel very comfortable, it gets easier. I stay in aero on shorter inclines but once I am out of the saddle or pushing to get up a hill, I usually jump out for a short while. On down hills I stay in aero unless it is unsafe. (ie, a blind corner with traffic, in rain, way too fast for me which would be 50mph+) I don't ride aero in group settings but when I am riding with tri friends, we stay about 4-5 bike lengths apart.

Glad you rode aero... I love it!

Tony
2009-03-09 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2006483

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-03-09 1:36 PM

Big weekend for me..6 hours total. Feel great today. I am really happy using the infinity. I need to order the run formula and get that working for me as well.Laughing

Another WOW day for me at the pool. Swam a 45 second 50m. Never a month ago would I have thought that 45 seconds was even attainable for me. I in a very good mood Laughing

Hope all went well for everyone else.

Have a great day

Nate,

Good news all around! That is a great split for 50m. Remember that "moment" and use it the next time you need it in the water, while riding, etc...

What flavor Infinit did you get for the bike? I went with Orange last year and Lemon Lime this year to see what I like best. I flipped them for the run (LL last year and Orange this year)

Tony

2009-03-09 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
I have tried the orande only so far. I am going to try the other flavors as well, before the race. On race day I might use all 3 flavor so i dont get sick of just one flavor. How do you like the lemon. Have you tried the other one?
2009-03-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2006398

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
afrutoz - 2009-03-09 1:02 PM

Hi Gang,

Ali,

Phenominal job!  That is awesome that you have discovered the 'coolness' of aero.  Just keep practicing and it will become second nature.  As Tony said, stay in aero as long as you can.  Practice on getting your fluids while staying in Aero position and being able to glance behind you while still in aero. 

In regards to the back of the saddle.  Actually, if you notice most (pro's and AGers) are usually on the front of the saddle.  This allows you to rotate your hips underneath you and rely more on your skeletal system vice your muscular system for support on the aerobar pads.  That is why it's good to have as close to 90 degrees on your elbows when you're in aero.  It provides support from your skeletal system. 

Keep up the great work!  And just think...you can kick the kids to make yourself feel better.  But keep the beer and Pizza.  They are yummy!

2009-03-11 8:40 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

Hope every's week is going well! The weekend is just over the hill

Tony
2009-03-12 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2007314

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-03-09 8:23 PM

I have tried the orande only so far. I am going to try the other flavors as well, before the race. On race day I might use all 3 flavor so i dont get sick of just one flavor. How do you like the lemon. Have you tried the other one?

Nate,

I like the Lemon Lime but find it a little sweeter than the orange. I might recommend you "dial down" the flavor meter a bit. I called and spoke to Michael at Infinit and he said many agree with me re the taste. Let me know what you decide! I have not tried the fruit punch yet.

Tony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17