BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3156147

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-16 10:33 PM 

Not to mention a big WAR EAGLE!

No kidding, Newton looked like a man amoung boys last night. 

Edited by badgerintx 2010-10-17 9:24 AM

2010-10-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3156102

User image

Master
TrevorC - 2010-10-16 7:11 PM TRAINING QUESTION

So I got my 17.38 miles run in.(or 28k) Just what was in my plan.
 The last 5k was super hard on me.

So for all you marathon vets....How do you know if you're running is  improving? Or how do you know when/if you are ready for the distance? And out of curiosity, how many calories an hour do you take in running the distance?

Honestly today, I feel like running is starting to kick my a$$. Volume is really starting to pick up, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned about being ready. I really struggled with it. I really had to push myself through it. I mean I happy getting it in today, but it was super slow. I don't know.  I really thought during the last bit of the run today about dropping down to the 1/2 in Vegas.

Yay for you, Trevor!! Congrats on getting 'er done!!!

So what was hard for you to keep going? Were you in specific pain? Breathing hard? Mentally done? Long runs are long (duh) and challenging on so many levels.

Have I ever shared my rule of long runs? For anything sub-15 miles, my rule is N-1. That means at one mile less than the schedule, I'm done and ready to stop. Anything more than 15 miles, that rule is N-2. I'm done with two miles left and just have to keep going... two more miles, one step at a time. I honestly think part of that is conditioning, as 2 miles is a typical distance to up a long run each week, so there is that. And just mentally it gets to be a grind and we want to stop.

My attitude about long runs is that I must go out slowly, easy slowly, and then if I want I can negative split, but hanging on is OK too. I go into my head and repeat matras at the end... either planned ones or something that just comes to me at the time. I focus on each step being closer to the end. I remind myself that when I get to stop, things aren't gonna feel better so really keeping on running is not so bad. I listen to music (usually -- sometimes if things get really icky for me the music becomes a distraction).

Was that the longest run of your life?? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!! When I ran my first marathon (1999, totally clueless) I loved every long run being the longest run of my life. I was sort of sad after the race that I'd have to run really, really far to have that glory again, ha ha!!!

Hang in there!!!
2010-10-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3156173

User image

Master
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-16 9:24 PM A Milestone for me! 

6 mi run in the books!! ABOUT DA.MN TIME too!!  

Next week is my Olympic triathlon.  I'm not exactly looking forward to it.  However, If I stick with my plan to just tell my mind to shut up and just finish it and not obsess about the times, I should be fine.  I'm not looking forward to the steep hills that I have to endure for the bike. :-) Frankly, I don't care anymore at this point about having fast splits. I haven't been diligent with my training, (especially the swims), so I'm not expecting a miracle. :-)   Am I putting myself too much? Should I change it to Sprint?

I'm enjoying the runs more because it's finally started to get cooler in the mornings and in the evenings. Still in the 90's during the day, too hot. :-

AWESOME DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olympic all the way, baby!!! And come back and tell us how proud you are of yourself when you're finished, and know that we've got your back!! You go, girl!!!
2010-10-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Champion
marietta
2010-10-17 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey Suzy. I just saw the end of the Packers game. Too bad. Looked like a good one and could have gone either way. Beautiful day to be there though.

2010-10-17 4:03 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
boo hoo, sorry, Suzy...bummer on the packets 
i meant PACKERS!  

otoh, way to go Badgers!

2010-10-17 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Congrats DJ you will rock your Olympic!!

Trevor, awesome job on your long run! Trust your plan and you will make it to the finish line!

Suzy, sorry about the Packers. But, how is the puppy doing? : )

Linda
2010-10-17 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TrevorC - 2010-10-16 9:11 PM TRAINING QUESTION

So for all you marathon vets....How do you know if you're running is  improving? Or how do you know when/if you are ready for the distance? And out of curiosity, how many calories an hour do you take in running the distance?

Honestly today, I feel like running is starting to kick my a$$. Volume is really starting to pick up, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned about being ready. I really struggled with it. I really had to push myself through it. I mean I happy getting it in today, but it was super slow. I don't know.  I really thought during the last bit of the run today about dropping down to the 1/2 in Vegas.

Hey now.....let's take a step back.  What pace are you training at and what pace did you start the run? middle of the run? towards the end of the run?  My first marathon was hard and I was doing a run/walk strategy.  Given your ability to run 13.1m off the bike and have such a stellar HIM, I think the effort was probably too great for the distance. Don't despair, there is a way to fix the issue so you have a solid first experience. Re fueling, what are you doing now?  are you carrying or relying on the race?  Personally, I have never been able to take in enough calories unless I carry.  Some think it is pain, I think it's a good strategy. Regarding how many calories, I'll send you a doc I have shared with countless people.  It works.   Dont give up Trevor, take a deep breathe and do some more analysis.  With 6 weeks to go, plenty of time to build up that confidence.  Maybe I should just run with you!!!!

DJ--NICE JOB!!

John--YUMMY, where's the recipe?

Dineen--The Badgers were so awesome last night.   Makes the dismal effort by the Packets a distant memory!

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-10-17 6:25 PM
2010-10-17 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3156839

User image

DJ - definitely go for the Oly!

John - It's over 60 miles to the nearest TJs, but I might have to make the trip for some of those! Yum!

Trevor - Keep at it! I've found that the first time I hit a new distance, it's pretty miserable, but it feels better the next time. And then when I add 2 miles to it, only the last 2 miles are miserable. I'm also doing better with long runs now that I'm paying more attention to my pacing in the first few miles. I used to always go out too fast - it felt easy on fresh legs, but really I was running too hard. Now I'm being careful to take it out super easy, and it's helped a lot. Trust the plan, make sure you're getting enough sleep, and keep going!!
2010-10-17 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3157082

User image

Master
gotta run - 2010-10-17 7:49 PM DJ - definitely go for the Oly!

John - It's over 60 miles to the nearest TJs, but I might have to make the trip for some of those! Yum!

Trevor - Keep at it! I've found that the first time I hit a new distance, it's pretty miserable, but it feels better the next time. And then when I add 2 miles to it, only the last 2 miles are miserable. I'm also doing better with long runs now that I'm paying more attention to my pacing in the first few miles. I used to always go out too fast - it felt easy on fresh legs, but really I was running too hard. Now I'm being careful to take it out super easy, and it's helped a lot. Trust the plan, make sure you're getting enough sleep, and keep going!!

Ahhh yes, N-2 works for you, too!!! 
2010-10-17 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3157082

User image

Master
Doh!! 

DP.

Have a great week, everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by kkcbelle 2010-10-17 10:14 PM

2010-10-17 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3155674

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-16 8:03 AM ok race this morning.  never ran a 5 miler so at least its a pr.  ha!  

hope everyone is having a great weekend. 

8 minute miles - nice!!!
2010-10-17 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3155702

User image

Master
gdctex - 2010-10-16 8:53 AM Did a 6 mile run this morning in less than hour!  Woo hoo! New PR.

Nice!  single digits on the minutes per mile!!
2010-10-17 10:59 PM

User image

Master
Trevor, I'm with with the others - no matter how long you go, the last few miles are the hardest.  Trust your plan - you're gonna do great.  As fo calories, I don't think I take in enough, so I'm working on it.  Adding more gu....

Suzy, I'd love to see your document!

DJ - go for it!!!!

I did 15 in the hills today, first rain-run of the year, and I'm sore & tired.  Jeff's been good with the massages, but I'm down to the wire and just holding on.  Drinking the protein post-run, staying hydrated (easy in today's downpour!) and stretching lots.  20 miler on Thursday...then I'm tapering.  Can't wait.

Yeah, NINERS!!! Smile Yeah, Colts! Smile  Tuesday, Giants. Yell
2010-10-18 5:29 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Anyone that wants the calorie calculation document, PM me your email address....Trev, I sent it to you already.
2010-10-18 7:56 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
    The Wall Street Journal

It's Time for Women to Run Faster

Boston's Crowded Marathon Prompts a Gender War; Why Females Get an Extra 30 Minutes

read it here

2010-10-18 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
    san francisco

baa.org is worse than active.com right now 

2010-10-18 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

I think this is all pretty normal.  I recall feeling pretty sore towards the end of my long runs especially when I hit a new distance milestone.  So the first time I did 15, 17, 18, 20 miles - it hurt the last few miles but when I ran that distance again it wasn't so bad.  I also think it's good mental training b/c there will come a point in the marathon that everything is hurting.  And with your training runs, you know you can push through.

Also if you are feeling beat up take care of the body.  Massages, compression socks, ice baths (or go sit in the snow - it's snowing now if your world, right ;-) ), etc.  I also use this goofy stretch/yoga pose after my ice baths.  Not sure if it did that much good but it sure felt good.

Lay on the floor facing a wall, move your bottom as close to the point where the wall and the floor meet and put your legs straight up the wall so your body is in a "L" shape, flex toes.  It felt good on my back and on the legs.
    2010-10-18 11:12 AM
    in reply to: #3157896

User image

Master
    sdalessio - 2010-10-18 8:41 AM

I think this is all pretty normal.  I recall feeling pretty sore towards the end of my long runs especially when I hit a new distance milestone.  So the first time I did 15, 17, 18, 20 miles - it hurt the last few miles but when I ran that distance again it wasn't so bad.  I also think it's good mental training b/c there will come a point in the marathon that everything is hurting.  And with your training runs, you know you can push through.

Also if you are feeling beat up take care of the body.  Massages, compression socks, ice baths (or go sit in the snow - it's snowing now if your world, right ;-) ), etc.  I also use this goofy stretch/yoga pose after my ice baths.  Not sure if it did that much good but it sure felt good.

Lay on the floor facing a wall, move your bottom as close to the point where the wall and the floor meet and put your legs straight up the wall so your body is in a "L" shape, flex toes.  It felt good on my back and on the legs.

x2!! I spend a LONG time in this position after long runs. I stretch the hammies, make my legs into a V and get the groin area, cross one leg over the other to get the glute, do a pigeon, curl up legs and twist from side to side... It feels sooooo good to put your legs up on the wall after a long run!!  (This is me after 24 miles...)

2010-10-18 11:19 AM
    in reply to: #3157540

User image

Elite
    Raleigh
    Try this link:https://registration.baa.org/...ebApp.cfm?mode=start
    2010-10-18 11:43 AM
    in reply to: #3157896

User image

Expert
    B'ham

Was that recommended by your coach?  I don't know the answer, but instinctively I'd think that stretching before the ice bath, while your muscles are warm and pliable would be safer and more beneficial.  Again, I don't know that to be true - just seems like a better order in my mind.

On a strecthing note - there is an article in the current RW issue about stretching and foam rollers.  It said to use the foam roller post-run, pre-stretch.  I'd been stretching and then rolling (if I rolled at all).  I tried this order after Friday's run and it did seem to give better results.  (Sorry John, no controls were used, no empiracal measurments taken - purely anectdotal evidence from a guy that hasn't even been using the roller much recently).

2010-10-18 11:45 AM
    in reply to: #3158038

User image

Master
    Apex, north carolina
    kkcbelle - 2010-10-18 12:12 PM

x2!! I spend a LONG time in this position after long runs. I stretch the hammies, make my legs into a V and get the groin area, cross one leg over the other to get the glute, do a pigeon, curl up legs and twist from side to side... It feels sooooo good to put your legs up on the wall after a long run!!  (This is me after 24 miles...)

I do the same thing.  The girls and I will read our bedtime stories like this.  My little ones has to straddle her legs to work on her splits for gymnastics where as I'm just draining the blood out of my legs. Feels great!!!
    2010-10-18 11:49 AM

User image

Elite
    Calgary,AB,Canada
    Alrighty, thanks for all the feedback. FWIW, it was the longest run of my life. intersting to get everyone's feedback. The mental part of it is totally one thing that I will/need to get past.
    But, based on the infor from Suzy, I am grossly under consuming calories.
    Saturdays run, was a little chilly(~40F). I ran with my 4 bottle fuelbelt. Essentially emptied that out. And had 3 GU's for the run. One/ hr really. But based on Suz's sheet, I should be consuming double that. More gels, or maybe packing one bottle with some Infinit. Or just filling up a gel dispenser, and going to town on it. I can't imagine having to rip open a GU every 30 minutes.
    I am going to have to try that this coming weekend. Getting close to the 20miler!!
    2010-10-18 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
    Calgary,AB,Canada
    Can one of you ladies please post a picture/video of this pose of which you are speaking? I just want to ensure I get it right. nothing else.
    2010-10-18 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
    san francisco
    Thanks, Doug, it finally let me submit at about 8am PST. I thought I was going to have to call on John again to sign me up! Trevor, Kyla was so kind to post the picture after 24 miles? Is your filter on at work again?We want a picture of you doing the stretch after your next long run! 31k?
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81