Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2010-12-27 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3263188

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
mike6232 - 2010-12-27 3:10 PM Ok.  Only about 180 miles on my Brooks goast 3.  I do not pronate.  That is what I was told when I was fitted for the shoes.  Went to Luke's Locker and they put me on a track to watch me run.  Just started this type of training.  I went from never running to 8 miles on my long run in about 3 months.  Have not done a long run in about 3 or 4 weeks because of the pain.

If you really want some insight, take a picture of the bottom of the Ghosts and post it....I want to see the wear pattern.  Is it inside (medial) or outside (lateral) of the ankle?  It sounds like ss's but it could something else causing the issue.

2010-12-27 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3262879

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-27 12:28 PM

Good news!

BP was way less at the Dr.'s office than what it was at the minute clinic.  He was surprised that it was that off.  He suggested I keep a log just in case.

But very happy that I don't have to deal with that for now.

Now I need to figure out why my knee is sore... LOL, life is conspiring to get me to Disney under trained...

awesome!  
2010-12-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3262572

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-27 8:26 AM Tony - I have the opposite - I have very low BP (85/40ish sometimes slightly higher, but never "normal").  

If you want to go holistic route - just get a cat or a dog. It has been shown that petting a cat will cause your BP to lower naturally. With 5 cats and a dog...hmm...no wonder why my BP is so low. LOL!

To check for BP - just go to CVS or Walgreens and use the free BP machines every time. That way you don't have the "white coat phenomon". 

Not sure that will work for Tony.  We have 2 cats and one of them likes to pee on Tony's workout stuff.  So I don't think chasing a cat around the house, yelling and screaming while trying to kick the cat would lower his BP. Laughing
2010-12-27 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Got my trainer setup.  That was easy!   Here's a question or two... 1. What tire pressure do you normaly keep while on a trainer?  Would it be same I would use on a road or softer?  I would think softer in order to have a larger surface gripping the roller.  2. Also, when leaving the bike on the trainer for long periods (winter) do you normaly release some tension after every workout and re-adjust again before next workout?
2010-12-27 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3263468

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
sstucker - 2010-12-27 7:22 PM Got my trainer setup.  That was easy!   Here's a question or two... 1. What tire pressure do you normaly keep while on a trainer?  Would it be same I would use on a road or softer?  I would think softer in order to have a larger surface gripping the roller.  2. Also, when leaving the bike on the trainer for long periods (winter) do you normaly release some tension after every workout and re-adjust again before next workout?

I keep mine at normal pressure.  Softer seems to make more noise.

And I always loosen the tension on the wheel and the skewer after every ride.  No idea if it would cause any damage if I left it but no sense in finding out.
2010-12-27 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3263535

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2010-12-27 7:14 PM
sstucker - 2010-12-27 7:22 PM Got my trainer setup.  That was easy!   Here's a question or two... 1. What tire pressure do you normaly keep while on a trainer?  Would it be same I would use on a road or softer?  I would think softer in order to have a larger surface gripping the roller.  2. Also, when leaving the bike on the trainer for long periods (winter) do you normaly release some tension after every workout and re-adjust again before next workout?

I keep mine at normal pressure.  Softer seems to make more noise.

And I always loosen the tension on the wheel and the skewer after every ride.  No idea if it would cause any damage if I left it but no sense in finding out.

I also keep my pressure the same at 100psi and loosen the tension after every ride.  I also suggest getting either a trainer tire or using something like a Gatorskin.  Otherwise, flats seem to happen often due to the tire heating up.  I run Gatorskins outdoors and they are bomb proof inside as well.

2010-12-27 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Hi everyone!

This is my second year of tri, but 4th for endurance training.  In my first two years I did one half and 3 full marathon.  For tris last year I did one try-a-tri and two sprints.  This year I'm building up to HIM in September. 

I may be over thinking this but here goes.
My race plan is simple, would like to peak twice.  Once at end of June (Oly), and second at beginning of September (HIM).  Does it make any sense to peak for a RUN only for end of May? which is a planned half mary.  I'm thinking NOT, because peaking is normally a whole body state.  I was thinking of building my run base early (run/swim focus training to ending of May) then continue with bike/swim from then to HIM. 

The idea is to test my run fitness with the half mary.  I would like to get to a certain level with my run for the HIM.  I was thinking of doing two runs a week during month of June as recovery, short one with strides and a long run (little shorter then my peak for half mary).

Just got my trainer so now would like to start the 15 week Jorge program in two weeks.  Is it ok to perform this program while I'm in run focus program?  From what I read it seems fine, I just need to make sure I schedule my intense workouts properly.

I know my questions above may be too much for any mentor group, even though I know most of you are quite capable, therefore I do not expect any details coming from anyone.
  I just need some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

2010-12-27 9:10 PM

Veteran
Well I was supposed to have a pretty tough trainer workout tonight but because of a mental lapse that will be postponed.  My house is very small 7 rooms total including the bathroom and we had everyone over for Christmas to see the new baby.  This means my bike and trainer went to the shed and it has been sub freezing temps for the 3 days it spent out there.  This would have been ok if I had remembered this morning and brought it back in but I didnt remember until 8pm when my wife was getting ready to feed the baby (this is my designated trainer time).  So I'll head out to the shed in the morning when I can see and bring it in before work and plan for a good ride Wednesday.  Just thought I'd share this with somebody who understands why I am a little miffed tonight.
2010-12-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3262547

User image

kkcbelle - 2010-12-27 9:08 AM
gotta run - 2010-12-26 11:02 PM OK, all caught up! It's great to hear from all the new folks. It looks like more than one of you could give Fatty and Trev a run for their money in the smack talk department!

Here's mine:

Name et al: Julia (2nd round with the MG)

Background:
 I grew up swimming, burned out my senior year in HS, but stayed active through college by riding my bike a bunch in the East Bay hills, then switched to running after that. I ran on and off for fitness and ran a few races over the years. I decided to give triathlon a try after I got injured training for a marathon and got back in the pool for the first time in many many years. I ran my first sprint in June '09 and loved every minute of it. 

Family Status:
 Married to Jeff for 11 years, 2 kids (7 and 5), 1 dog (my favorite running partner) and 1 grouchy old cat.

'10 Races: a couple of sprints and an Oly, a bunch of running races.

'11 Races:
  so far I've got REV 3 Knoxville (my first HIM, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the peeps from the MG), Muncie 70.3, and then Danskin in Seattle with my mom! I'm sure I'll add some sprints and running races.

What makes me a good part of this group
: I don't post a lot, but I try to be positive and supportive. I'll add my 2 cents when I think I can help. I'm out of battery power so that'll have to do!

Ooooh, yay yay yay!!! How fun!! Are you guys already registered? It fills up fast. I've never done Danskin -- too big and too much of a logistical nightmare for me for a sprint, but I have MANY friends who have done it. I've so loved watching their journeys and seeing how much it has empowered them. You must keep me posted on that and let me know if I can help out at all when you're here! Wheee!!! VERY awesome for your mom! Will this be her first? Are you going to help her train from afar?

We both registered on the first day. She actually did the Danskin in 2008 - I think that's what got me thinking about doing a tri. She was really into it then, so I'm glad she decided to do another one. It will be fun to do it together!
2010-12-27 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Hey Peeps!  Wrapping up the first phase of our Christmas/New Year's tour.  Heading to Long Island tomorrow.  Gladly, the 2 feet of snow they got should be all shoveled.

Trying to get my brother home.  He is flying in from Hawaii.  With all the flight cancellations, he went from having a direct flight from Honolulu to Laguardia to having to go HI to LAX to Minneapolis to Cincy to Detroit.  Now he is hoping to get to Binghamton, NY tomorrow morning (on standby) so I can pick him up and he can ride with us to Long Island.  Poor guy sounds miserable on the phone...and he is usually really laid back.  Hope tomorrow works out or he will have to spend another night in Detroit.

As for Suzy's question about learnings...

I learned that the tri community is incredibly generous with support and advice and this group is the gold star example of that.  (I think the new folks will quickly feel the same way)

I learned that being around so much energy about triathlon gives me something to feed off and gives me energy.

I learned that you don't have to *see* people to be friends with them.

I learned that it is humanly possible to swim 400K+ yards (Suzy), bike 6K+ miles(Suzy), and run 4K+ miles (Terps) in a year...wow!

I learned that Birdy takes some freaking awesome pictures!!

Thanks for an awesome 2010...looking forward to 2011.

George

2010-12-28 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3263667

User image

Champion
sstucker - 2010-12-27 8:56 PM  

Hi everyone!

This is my second year of tri, but 4th for endurance training.  In my first two years I did one half and 3 full marathon.  For tris last year I did one try-a-tri and two sprints.  This year I'm building up to HIM in September. 

My race plan is simple, would like to peak twice.  Once at end of June (Oly), and second at beginning of September (HIM).  Does it make any sense to peak for a RUN only for end of May? which is a planned half mary.  I'm thinking NOT, because peaking is normally a whole body state.  I was thinking of building my run base early (run/swim focus training to ending of May) then continue with bike/swim from then to HIM. 

The idea is to test my run fitness with the half mary.  I would like to get to a certain level with my run for the HIM.  I was thinking of doing two runs a week during month of June as recovery, short one with strides and a long run (little shorter then my peak for half mary).

Just got my trainer so now would like to start the 15 week Jorge program in two weeks.  Is it ok to perform this program while I'm in run focus program?  From what I read it seems fine, I just need to make sure I schedule my intense workouts properly.

I know my questions above may be too much for any mentor group, even though I know most of you are quite capable, therefore I do not expect any details coming from anyone.

Thanks in advance!

First question, what's your tri strength and weakness?  My initial reaction is trying to peak at the end of May for running followed by peaking on the bike four weeks later would be too close together.  Maybe I don't know what your definition of peaking is? What's the plan run intensity? It seems like George's bike plan is tough though I've never done it. you're right, spacing workouts would be key.  The good news for you is you do have some endurance background on the run so increasing intensity might not be as tough for you??? past injury history?

Two people worth weighing in on this is Dineen (he is doing a high intensity off-season EN plan) and RP, our resident HIM fastie.

2010-12-28 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
sstucker - 2010-12-27 9:56 PM  

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

You probably know more than me but from what I'm reading (friel) it sounds like peaking at the end of June and the beg of Sept are too close together.  I am also looking at an Oly (or HIM aquabike) in mid June and got my first HIM at the end of Aug and I'm just planning on working the Oly as a training day.  But again...I'm so not the expert on this.

As for Jorge's plan, I hope it's ok b/c that's pretty much what I'm doing as well.  I'm only planning on doing two of the days (Q1 abd Q2 if memory serves).
2010-12-28 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3260225

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2010-12-24 6:49 AM
mighty mom - 2010-12-23 9:05 PM So I need some guidance. My A race for 2011 is a HIM in late Aug. Now I've only ever done a sprint. I'm not worried about doing the training but thinking about what other races would be good prep for the HIM. I'm looking at two races in June, an Oly and a HIM distance aqua bike. Which race would be better prep? While I'm at it, any recommendations for HIM plans?

BOTH if you can swing it.  If you can't, I like the Oly because it'll give you a good sense of how you will feel with a longer distance doing all three disciplines.  I did the Lonestar HIM as an aquabike last year due to injury and it too was beneficial.  It gave me more OWS experience (more is always better), allowed me to test my nutrition and pacing on the bike knowing I would be hanging it up afterwards. That learning really paid off. 

To get back to this... The races are only a week apart. Wouldn't that be too close together to 'race' both?  I don't want to disrupt family life too much so I'm was hoping to stick to only one race a month.  I could race the Oly but work a full aquabike into my training.
2010-12-28 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
sstucker - 2010-12-27 9:56 PM  

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

good questions! i have a couple for you...

i'm assuming by peak you're meaning these are important races so there will be some sort of taper and an all out effort on race day.  is that correct?

what him plan are you using?  most i've seen (bt, en, tno, etc..) are in the 18-20 week range.  this puts your kick off date somewhere around late may / early april.  so, you're talking about recovering from 2 "peak"  races during your him program.  not saying it can't be done, but i wouldn't do that.  i'd probably let the 1/2 marathon go and use the oly as a training day,  keeping in mind that's its just that.  you need to be ready to get back at the him program pretty quick,  two days or so. 

"(run/swim focus training to ending of May) then continue with bike/swim from then to HIM." 
if i'm reading this correctly,  you want to start jorge's program now.  that will end somewhere around the second week of march.  then you'll run/swim until the end of may?  no bike for 2+ months?  regardless of what him plan you are thinking about, I don't think this is a very good idea. 

"The idea is to test my run fitness with the half mary.  I would like to get to a certain level with my run for the HIM.  I was thinking of doing two runs a week during month of June as recovery, short one with strides and a long run (little shorter then my peak for half mary)."
running off the bike at the him distance is a lot different than a stand alone half marathon.  i finally nailed a run on my fourth try at this distance back in september.  there is just so much more to it than getting off and going for a run.  so using a half marathon to gauge run fitness for a him may not give you an accurate self assessment.  june should not be a recovery month as you're inside 12 weeks to the race.  i see you're good runner,  cool race reports!,   but you're still going to need more volume than two runs a week. 

i love the half marathon distance.  but these races are a lot cheaper, easier to find and "easier" to train for ( no bike or swim and not much nutrition involved, transitions aren't there etc..) than a half iron.  so,  i'd save the half marathon for a fall race,  use that fitness you gained training for the him.   the oly is ok, but go into as a training day or ideally find one a bit earlier in the year.  a him is a huge training event,  you can try to skate by,  but you'll pay dearly on race day. trust me on that one. ;-

edit... there are a lot of people in this group with experience training for and racing this distance that are "worth weighing in on this".    

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-12-28 8:14 AM
2010-12-28 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3263959

User image

Champion
mighty mom - 2010-12-28 7:25 AM
mighty mom - 2010-12-23 9:05 PM So I need some guidance. My A race for 2011 is a HIM in late Aug. Now I've only ever done a sprint. I'm not worried about doing the training but thinking about what other races would be good prep for the HIM. I'm looking at two races in June, an Oly and a HIM distance aqua bike. Which race would be better prep? While I'm at it, any recommendations for HIM plans?

BOTH if you can swing it.  If you can't, I like the Oly because it'll give you a good sense of how you will feel with a longer distance doing all three disciplines.  I did the Lonestar HIM as an aquabike last year due to injury and it too was beneficial.  It gave me more OWS experience (more is always better), allowed me to test my nutrition and pacing on the bike knowing I would be hanging it up afterwards. That learning really paid off. 

To get back to this... The races are only a week apart. Wouldn't that be too close together to 'race' both?  I don't want to disrupt family life too much so I'm was hoping to stick to only one race a month.  I could race the Oly but work a full aquabike into my training.

Christina

I like to use some races as big training days to test out strategy.  I do a lot of races--would love to do them almost weekly, some are As, but most are not.  For me, doing back to back weeks wouldn't be a problem because my A race would be the Oly and my test a strategy race would be the aquabike. I got a lot out of doing things that way in '10 and plan to do it again in '11. 

I do recognize, my personal life is uber flexible compared to most so I do not have to make the same trade offs as you do.
2010-12-28 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
mighty mom - 2010-12-28 8:25 AM

you might already do this, but start looking at whats around the race for the kiddos and husband.  if you can find something that they'll have a blast while you are busy for a few hours, you might actually get them more pumped to the race than you!  for ironman, we booked a resort that has a water park.... not a chance i'm telling the kiddos yet because that's all i'll hear about for the next five months.

2010-12-28 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3264056

User image

Expert
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-28 8:25 AM

you might already do this, but start looking at whats around the race for the kiddos and husband.  if you can find something that they'll have a blast while you are busy for a few hours, you might actually get them more pumped to the race than you!  for ironman, we booked a resort that has a water park.... not a chance i'm telling the kiddos yet because that's all i'll hear about for the next five months.

I agree w/ John that is really helps to have activities for the family and speaking of which I see you are in Mass.  There is the Rev 3 race in Quassy (CT, right).  How can you beat racing around an amusement park?

Also gang - did anyone see that Rev3 added South Carolina and Portland to their line up?  Do I sense a 2011/2012 MG road trip?
2010-12-28 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Besides family, I think this heavily depends on your conditioning and how fast you recover from one race to another.  I know for example that I would not be able to "race" consecutive (within a week) Olympics in the beginning of the season but at the end of the season, no problem.
2010-12-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3263907

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2010-12-28 3:50 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

First question, what's your tri strength and weakness?  My initial reaction is trying to peak at the end of May for running followed by peaking on the bike four weeks later would be too close together.  Maybe I don't know what your definition of peaking is? What's the plan run intensity? It seems like George's bike plan is tough though I've never done it. you're right, spacing workouts would be key.  The good news for you is you do have some endurance background on the run so increasing intensity might not be as tough for you??? past injury history?

Two people worth weighing in on this is Dineen (he is doing a high intensity off-season EN plan) and RP, our resident HIM fastie.

Oops, I'm neither of those two guys but I have a little experience with this as last year I did a half marathon 6 weeks before my first race of the year which was an HIM.  I was slightly concerned about "peaking" since I wanted to do well for both races, but my coach just had me train right through the half marathon.  And it was absolutely fine.  Looking at your race reports you are a pretty fast runner.  Running half marathons are fun and if you have already done 3 marathons and a half in the last 2 years, you know how your body will recover. 

The HIM run after bike is a totally different beast.  I have been able to run after Sprint and Oly bikes much better than the HIM bike.  I am still searching for that elusive "great half mary run after bike".  It takes running more and doing bricks...and running on tired legs. 

Since your HIM is at the beginning of September, by June you will only be 12-14 weeks out from your A race.  I don't think you would want to drop down to running 2x/week at this time and I would guess you shouldn't need to unless running the half marathon really beats you up.  Even if that happens, we can all help with recovery!  But I would venture to say run at least three or four times a week, with a brick in there every or every other week after your long bike. 

Good luck and hope that helps a little bit.

2010-12-28 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
RIP Baby.  5/1991 - 12/28/2010.  He's the KING OF ALL CATS! He's the oldest cat I ever had. Was with me for 4 homes, and practically raised many cats. Kitty (RIP), Akeem (RIP), Ashley (RIP), Chief, Mocha, Hobbes, Whitey, Gizmo.  He's the best cat ever.  I'm just glad that I was here in NJ to ease his pain and help him on his journey over the Rainbow Bridge.

He had a stroke this morning and Mom and I brought him to the vet to ease his passing.   It was just sorta strange because last night before I went to bed, I said to him, "You know it's time, just let me know when, and I'm ready". He has a spew of health issues (Liver issues, Hyperthyroidism, severe muscle atrophy, pancreatic issues. So yeah, it *was* his time  I was bawling when I discovered that he cannot walk or do anything.  He was absolutely the best cat. That's saying something.

This is my THIRD cat that I had to put to sleep within a year (Keno passed on from FeLV - stupid shelter never tested her!!, and Blackjack passed on from FIP). It never gets any easier. :-

Hugs your furbabies for me.

Edited by CyborgQueen 2010-12-28 9:27 AM
2010-12-28 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3264188

User image

Expert
CyborgQueen - 2010-12-28 9:24 AM RIP Baby.  5/1991 - 12/28/2010.  He's the KING OF ALL CATS! He's the oldest cat I ever had. Was with me for 4 homes, and practically raised many cats. Kitty (RIP), Akeem (RIP), Ashley (RIP), Chief, Mocha, Hobbes, Whitey, Gizmo.  He's the best cat ever.  I'm just glad that I was here in NJ to ease his pain and help him on his journey over the Rainbow Bridge.

He had a stroke this morning and Mom and I brought him to the vet to ease his passing.   It was just sorta strange because last night before I went to bed, I said to him, "You know it's time, just let me know when, and I'm ready". He has a spew of health issues (Liver issues, Hyperthyroidism, severe muscle atrophy, pancreatic issues. So yeah, it *was* his time  I was bawling when I discovered that he cannot walk or do anything.  He was absolutely the best cat. That's saying something.

This is my THIRD cat that I had to put to sleep within a year (Keno passed on from FeLV - stupid shelter never tested her!!, and Blackjack passed on from FIP). It never gets any easier. :-

Hugs your furbabies for me.

I'm very sorry DJ - I know how hard it is lose a pet even if it's their time to go.  We lost our dog this summer and bless her heart, she made the decision easy for me in the sense that there were no other options.  It was quick and painless.  I think that is the best we can hope for and cherish the memories.

2010-12-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3263270

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2010-12-27 3:58 PM Oh and now post 7000, still awhile to go to crack the top 10 here on BT.

Shouldn't you spend more time training?
2010-12-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3263907

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2010-12-28 6:50 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

That's odd, I only saw Suzy's post and not everyone elses, I submitted my post then saw everyone elses responses which were pretty much the same as mine.

LOL.

Edited by dalessit 2010-12-28 9:58 AM
2010-12-28 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3263188

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
mike6232 - 2010-12-27 3:10 PM Ok.  Only about 180 miles on my Brooks goast 3.  I do not pronate.  That is what I was told when I was fitted for the shoes.  Went to Luke's Locker and they put me on a track to watch me run.  Just started this type of training.  I went from never running to 8 miles on my long run in about 3 months.  Have not done a long run in about 3 or 4 weeks because of the pain.

Never running to 8 miles is a pretty good jump in 3 months for some of us.  I did the same thing 2 yrs ago and had bad IT band issues when ramping up for a HIM.  8 miles may not be hazardous for some, but for others over a short time it could be.

In October, still after running consistently for 3 years, I started gearing up for additional mileage.  Ryan encouraged me to run consistently around 3 miles a day till I could get used to running EVERYDAY.  Even as I worked up to the 3 miles a day, it was stressing my legs. 

What I have found is that I have to have a little rest and run REALLY EASY a couple of those days.

A great resourse for running is Barry P's articles over on slowtwitch.  Read his program and see what you think.  He divides running over around six days and builds VERY slowly.  For instance if you are running 20 miles over the week, you would have 2 moderate runs of 3.5 miles, 3 easy runs of 2 miles and a long easy run of 6.  The easy 2 milers gave me the rest that I needed to recover.  Check it out.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
2010-12-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3264225

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-28 10:43 AM
dalessit - 2010-12-27 3:58 PM Oh and now post 7000, still awhile to go to crack the top 10 here on BT.

Shouldn't you spend more time training?

I multi-task well...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171