BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-29 4:56 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Does anyone on here use TrainerRoad?  I know a guy who's an ambassador who can get me the first month free.  I think it will probably do well in driving good results.  Thoughts?

When I am stateside I do use TrainerRoad. I love it paired with Sufferfest for real pain and suffering. It was nice to see some results instead of just perceived effort. Helped me stay consistent in pacing. I will be going back to it when I get back and the rainy season hits again.

2014-05-29 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Sometimes I feel like Dean. Everyone else is Jerry. Oo la.
2014-05-29 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Does anyone on here use TrainerRoad?  I know a guy who's an ambassador who can get me the first month free.  I think it will probably do well in driving good results.  Thoughts?

I used it over the winter. It's great. I just prefer to be outside this time of year
2014-05-29 6:15 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ-

I used it over the winter. It's great. I just prefer to be outside this time of year

Do you, and others who use TR, use their cycling training plans, or do you use something else?  I guess that matters if you are self-coached.

2014-05-29 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Do you, and others who use TR, use their cycling training plans, or do you use something else?  I guess that matters if you are self-coached.

Actually I used it more for the onscreen feature since I am coached however I have used a few of there plans and like them. I know they have a great reputation. The owners post frequently on slowtwitch if you want more info.
2014-05-29 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm really looking forward the Hawk-i sprint I'm doing this Sunday, guys! I'll be doing it with my tri team, and there should be about a dozen of us there.  Races are always better when there are more people there that one knows.  The 5k is out and back, so I'll get to see everyone on the run.

2014-05-29 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Actually I used it more for the onscreen feature since I am coached however I have used a few of there plans and like them. I know they have a great reputation. The owners post frequently on slowtwitch if you want more info.

OK, thanks.

How do you set up your computer screen in front of your bike?

2014-05-29 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh man I'm caught up but I'm late for work again!!!

You guys were chatty catties last night 3 pages!
2014-05-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

OK, thanks.

Just download the trainer road software and then use an ANT usb stick in your computer and what ever ANT stuff you have will display on screen.

Is that what your asking or you asking specifically what I put my computer on?

Edited by JJ- 2014-05-29 7:05 PM
2014-05-29 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

OK, thanks.

Just download the trainer road software and then use an ANT usb stick in your computer and what ever ANT stuff you have will display on screen. Is that what your asking or you asking specifically what I put my computer on?

I mean, I'm assuming you'r using a laptop.  How do you get your screen close enough to see what's on it?

2014-05-29 9:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm really looking forward the Hawk-i sprint I'm doing this Sunday, guys! I'll be doing it with my tri team, and there should be about a dozen of us there.  Races are always better when there are more people there that one knows.  The 5k is out and back, so I'll get to see everyone on the run.

Fun!!  I can see why you'd be looking forward to it!

2014-05-29 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

OK, thanks.

Just download the trainer road software and then use an ANT usb stick in your computer and what ever ANT stuff you have will display on screen. Is that what your asking or you asking specifically what I put my computer on?

I mean, I'm assuming you'r using a laptop.  How do you get your screen close enough to see what's on it?

I use a music stand and position directly in front of my aero bars
2014-05-29 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

OK, thanks.

You don't need to read what's on the screen, per say. It's a very visual application. You basically have to be able to read two numbers. Target power and actual power, and even then, they don't have to be exact as TR give little visual pointers that you're hitting the correct/target power. I.e. The power bar goes green when you're on target, there's a little ball that you nudge up with the power bar, and you've also got the power trace to follow on the main display. The only other figures you wanna read whilst riding is the interval time left figure, which, I might add, seems to stretch seconds the more a workout goes on (especially when used with sufferfest).
My computer monitor is a 17 inch and is set up on a table about a foot from my front wheel.
HTHs
2014-05-29 10:51 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Stacey, you may be interested to know that Trainer Road are almost finished on the IOS platform. So it won't be long and we'll be able to use our iPads. Quite how the iPad will pick up ant + I don't know.
2014-05-29 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Stacey, you may be interested to know that Trainer Road are almost finished on the IOS platform. So it won't be long and we'll be able to use our iPads. Quite how the iPad will pick up ant + I don't know.
Thanks Darren.

In order to get that to work I would first have to maybe find the little doover lacky thingy (yes it is a real term) that opens the battery compartment on my rear wheel sensor so I could change the battery.

I know this is a first world problem but really why not just put a slot in it so you could use a coin rather than two little prong holes the size of a bee's d!ck? that cannot be used unless you have the specific device that came with the computer that is the size on a quarter and extremely easy to lose.

While I am ranting... Whats the go with adults that think it is perfectly fine to never use their manners!!!! is it really that hard to say or type the words please and thank you?

I called someone out on this the other day and they seemed totally shocked that it would be expected that they should ask nicely for things rather than demand them. gggrrrrrr. I bet they make their own kids say please and thank you.

// rant over for now
2014-05-30 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by JJ- I didn't realize we had a twitter list Edit: Oh Wow, I'm on the list. Shows how much attention I pay ......lol
Bless your heart

Well Played!

2014-05-30 8:30 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Stacey, you may be interested to know that Trainer Road are almost finished on the IOS platform. So it won't be long and we'll be able to use our iPads. Quite how the iPad will pick up ant + I don't know.
Thanks Darren. In order to get that to work I would first have to maybe find the little doover lacky thingy (yes it is a real term) that opens the battery compartment on my rear wheel sensor so I could change the battery. I know this is a first world problem but really why not just put a slot in it so you could use a coin rather than two little prong holes the size of a bee's d!ck? that cannot be used unless you have the specific device that came with the computer that is the size on a quarter and extremely easy to lose. While I am ranting... Whats the go with adults that think it is perfectly fine to never use their manners!!!! is it really that hard to say or type the words please and thank you? I called someone out on this the other day and they seemed totally shocked that it would be expected that they should ask nicely for things rather than demand them. gggrrrrrr. I bet they make their own kids say please and thank you. // rant over for now

This is why we like dogs.

2014-05-30 8:31 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
If you have blue tooth smart sensors the iPad will be able to pick them up. As for positioning I've got an otterbox for my kindle fire that I attached the case to a stand so it holds it up. Used my ironing board before I MacGyverd that one.

Brother is in town for the weekend and is suffering from some injuries so no running this weekend. I promise I'll get some exercise in soon.
2014-05-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills Here is what the day looks like here at 6am. This is a picture of me crossing the finish line of the HM this past Monday.

I hope that you weren't exceeding the speed limit there!  Wait, you were!  You rule breaker you!

2014-05-30 8:37 AM
in reply to: jbwills

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jbwills
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by jbwills Training schedule question and advise. I am starting to look at B2B HIM specific training and possibly Lookout Mtn 50-miler. B2B will be my A race for the year. My current training schedule is: Monday AM: 3.5 mile run tempo PM: Core/Dryland Swim Tuesday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Wednesday AM: 7 mile MSD run PM: Leg/Dryland Swim Thursday AM: 3.5 miles run easy PM: bike 60-90 min Sufferfest video Friday AM: 3.5 mile 60/120 speed run workout PM: Core/Dryland Swim Saturday AM: LSD 10.5 miles run PM: bike 45-60 min Sufferfest video Most of my runs are based off of a loop here. It is 3.5 miles around and I prefer to get the run in before the heat starts building. I am doing some shoulder stability and leg stability workouts after a few runs in the morning, but not on a super specific schedule. I know it is a heavy run schedule but there is only so much exercise bike I can take, I would love to have my bike and a drainer here. I am planning to slowly increase my bike time and move my long bike to my Thursday morning as I get over 90 mins, as long as I am still on nights here. Any suggestions or improvements anyone sees?

I understand about the exercise bike.  I really do.  But... more bike. 

Remind me, when are you expecting to be back in TN?  September?

I threw it into a chart and got this: 

RunSwimBike
Mon3.5Cords 
Tues3.5 60
Wed7Cords 
Thurs3.5 90
Fri3.5Cords 
Sat10.5 60

That seems run heavy, but given where you are in the world, I understand completely. And if the Ultra has more appeal, then more running is a good thing. However, I'm with Janyne on this, maybe swap Monday's run for a ride. Or Tues Run becomes a swim and and Mon Swim becomes a bike.

And thank you very much for being where you are and doing what you do.

I'm curious which Sufferfest vids are being used. Also, while just doing more exercise bike would be understandably difficult, if you could stand more of it with more Sufferfest vids, then Extra Shot or The Long Scream can add some time. Might have to back off slightly from the first vid though. Also, there are the two longer ones out in Blender and ISLAGIATT. Otherwise keep on pushing each session as you are.

Right now Ihave these videos: Angels, The Hunted, There is no Try, A Very Dark Place, Downward Spiral, Hell Hath No Fury, Extra Shot, The Wretched, Fight Club, Local Hero, The Long Scream. I have looked at Blender and ISLAGIATT but internet here is slow to download it. Right now I am trying to switch the videos up to keep some variety and work more muscle groups. I am thinking as I start increasing time of doing a few of the videos back to back to increase the time with a short rest period in between, mainly to get more water.

Pretty good diversity in that collection! Do you understand the differences between them? Basically ones with intervals longer than those in Fight Club will be threshold based and those with shorter more VO2 and higher. Fight Club splits when done as they wrote it, but I lean towards it being a bit more VO2. Without power available, probably keep around a 2:1 ratio between the types, with more being threshold based. It usually takes more to build that up. When you have power available again taking a look at the Power Meter Mentor group can help to figure out which workouts to do based on your profile.

When doubling up the videos I've done a few things. One is with adding on an Extra Shot and doing it around 90% or so. This may be after a VO2 workout and the effort is like that of a long sprint tri bike or an rather aggressive Oly. It should be hard to do. If it's not, the earlier part probably wasn't done hard enough and changes the development some.

Another things I'll do is to flatten out the peaks and valleys they put in. Meaning the recovery sections won't be so low and the peaks won't be quite so high. Kind of like having some hills when out on a ride. Easy sections are still at least IM effort. Probably more. The harder parts will still be tough, not as hard as hard as I'd usually do. Takes a little practice to get a feel for it.

2014-05-30 8:39 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Stacey, you may be interested to know that Trainer Road are almost finished on the IOS platform. So it won't be long and we'll be able to use our iPads. Quite how the iPad will pick up ant + I don't know.
Thanks Darren. In order to get that to work I would first have to maybe find the little doover lacky thingy (yes it is a real term) that opens the battery compartment on my rear wheel sensor so I could change the battery. I know this is a first world problem but really why not just put a slot in it so you could use a coin rather than two little prong holes the size of a bee's d!ck? that cannot be used unless you have the specific device that came with the computer that is the size on a quarter and extremely easy to lose. While I am ranting... Whats the go with adults that think it is perfectly fine to never use their manners!!!! is it really that hard to say or type the words please and thank you? I called someone out on this the other day and they seemed totally shocked that it would be expected that they should ask nicely for things rather than demand them. gggrrrrrr. I bet they make their own kids say please and thank you. // rant over for now

This is why we like dogs.

True that!

2014-05-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jbwills Here is what the day looks like here at 6am. This is a picture of me crossing the finish line of the HM this past Monday.

I hope that you weren't exceeding the speed limit there!  Wait, you were!  You rule breaker you!

But he's going the other way!

2014-05-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wrong way and speeding!  Double rule breaking!

2014-05-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Wrong way and speeding!  Double rule breaking!

I didn't see a one-way sign.  Only single rule breaking.  Good thing there weren't any photo radar controls in the area.  Wait, maybe that's how that picture got taken.  Except there's no rear shot showing his license plate...

2014-05-30 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I use a music stand and position directly in front of my aero bars

That makes sense.  I was wondering about doing that.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.