General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-06-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2924818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
I know you can rent boats and stuff on Mirror Lake. You can hike - or they can, I wouldn't.  you can go to the Chasm (I think that's what it's called.)

2010-06-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2924865

User image

AdCo - 2010-06-16 9:35 AM I know you can rent boats and stuff on Mirror Lake. You can hike - or they can, I wouldn't.  you can go to the Chasm (I think that's what it's called.)

I'll pass on the hiking!!  But the boats sounds like fun.

2010-06-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2924910

User image

Master
syracuse
there is a boat tour on Lake Placid.

theres another day...

also, I passed a couple of putt-putt places.

Boom!...we just planned your "vacation".....Wink
2010-06-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2923379

User image

jackjack - 2010-06-15 2:04 PM Rae
You must be Alexa's friend!  Another local BTer?
I'm Jackie from the Train-this team - looking forward to meeting you!

User image

User image

Yup, I am!  I am really looking forward to meeting everyone from train-this....Mary and Alexa have been WONDERFUL to include me, itll be lots of fun!!

Edited by trigirl244 2010-06-16 9:05 AM

2010-06-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2924910

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Dream Chaser - 2010-06-16 9:43 AM

AdCo - 2010-06-16 9:35 AM I know you can rent boats and stuff on Mirror Lake. You can hike - or they can, I wouldn't.  you can go to the Chasm (I think that's what it's called.)

There are boat tours on Lake Placid, just on the other side of Mirror Lake. It's bigger so might be more fun. You can take them up to the top of the ski jumps too I believe, check out the Olympic Center website, there are a lot of activities there.

2010-06-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2925067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
LazyMarathoner - 2010-06-16 10:20 AM

Dream Chaser - 2010-06-16 9:43 AM

There are boat tours on Lake Placid, just on the other side of Mirror Lake. It's bigger so might be more fun. You can take them up to the top of the ski jumps too I believe, check out the Olympic Center website, there are a lot of activities there.

You can also take a gondola ride up to the top of Whiteface. That was pretty cool and the kids enjoyed it. As for hiking, I highly highly recommend Ausable Chasm. The kids are too small for the raft ride, but they can certainly hike the 1.5 mile trail and take the trolley back. It is really beautiful or as my kids said...."ausable". We also killed a day at the ski jumps watching the Olympic hopefuls jump into the pool on skis. It is a neat little show but probably boring for the 4yr old. One last item is on the other end of town by the McDonalds there is an indoor mini-golf place that has hidden crawl spaces in the walls that the kids can go through. Kind of like the chuck-e-cheeze tubes but they are shaped like rock walls. I will see if I can find the name of it.
2010-06-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2337428

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
THINGS TO DO WITH KIDS IN LP (what I've found so far)

There is a bowling alley in LP, I think it's on the main street.
If your kids are into nature, there is a big, designed-to-be-kid-friendly, award-winning nature museum somewhere nearby. Can't remember the name but it shouldn't be hard to find. I have seen rave reviews for it. Nice rainy-day thing to do.
They can swim in Mirror Lake, or any other lake around there; or you can rent paddleboats, canoes, or kayaks. 
There is a big recreation center, I think it's in Saranac but am not sure. Big pool (good for rainy days).
As mentioned, the ski-hill gondola rides.
Olympic museum for older kids
Pizza places (always good for killing an hour with our son)
Putt putt golf
Hiking trails (we might or might not want to do that depending on how long/hilly but maybe spouses can take the kids)
The Ausable Chasm
State parks nearby often have very short kid-friendly hikes led by rangers, naturalists explaining local wildlife, campfire nights, owl walks, etc. Check with the park for details. Cost is usually a few bucks.
 Have fun!

And I have to add, Papson14, if you are traveling with a 5-, 4-, and 3-year-old (I think you mentioned that a few pages back) YOU ARE ALREADY AN IRONMAN... hats off to you. And your wife! 

Kelly 
2010-06-16 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Thanks for all the cool things to do for kids list.  My wife and I just talked about finding cool things to do while we're up there.

2010-06-16 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2926849

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-06-16 9:17 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I know the KOA I'm staying at has a mini triathlon for the kids.  They swim in the pool and run and ride on an oval here in the camp ground.  They get medals and everything the lady (owner of the KOA) said.

Just an idea so they are "included".
2010-06-17 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2926978

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-17 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2927205

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
PennState - 2010-06-17 7:22 AM
Marvarnett - 2010-06-16 10:17 PM I know the KOA I'm staying at has a mini triathlon for the kids.  They swim in the pool and run and ride on an oval here in the camp ground.  They get medals and everything the lady (owner of the KOA) said.

Just an idea so they are "included".
How goes the training weekend Dan?

The training week has been good so far.  Did 2 loops of the swim course and a 30' run on Monday after setting up my tent.

Tuesday:  2 loops of bike course (w/o out and back) and then a 40' run
Wed: 1 reverse loop (where I double flatted but was picked up by a cute Olympic Biathlete) and then a single loop of the swim

Today it's raining, so I am waiting it out before I head out for a 40' run and then the real camp starts.  I'm having a blast!

Some interesting observations though - The Keene descent is really a piece of cake.  The road is good and the curves are sweeping so there is no real reason for people to freak out.  Doing the course in reverse really gives you a sense for the terrain (false flats, etc).  Highly recommended.

Like the route on 86 back into town is a false flat the entire way.  Would not have known that had I not done the course in reverse.

Good times!
2010-06-17 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2924222

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
tI know the Race Director and saw him briefly this weekend at LP Marathon (he's Race Director for that too) and asked him the all important question. It looks like we will be staying on Rte 9 to Ausable Forks then back to 86 in Jay. Told me some have tested it and have riden it faster than regular route.

So, I just reread this and mis-understood before.. You mean we'd do an out and back on 9N to Ausible, then come back and go right on 86?

2010-06-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2927290

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Marvarnett - 2010-06-17 8:17 AM

The training week has been good so far.  Did 2 loops of the swim course and a 30' run on Monday after setting up my tent.

Wed: 1 reverse loop (where I double flatted but was picked up by a cute Olympic Biathlete) and then a single loop of the swim

Today it's raining, so I am waiting it out before I head out for a 40' run and then the real camp starts.  I'm having a blast!

Some interesting observations though - The Keene descent is really a piece of cake.  The road is good and the curves are sweeping so there is no real reason for people to freak out.  Doing the course in reverse really gives you a sense for the terrain (false flats, etc).  Highly recommended.

Like the route on 86 back into town is a false flat the entire way.  Would not have known that had I not done the course in reverse.

Good times!

HA double flat I know how that feels.

I am NOT a superstitious person. (insert youtube viedo) Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Live)

EagleMan 70.3 weekend

My credit card was hacked

My gold chain broke, but I found my cross several hours latter at the restaurant

Then doubled flatted on the bike

On the run got a huge blister on my toe and lost my toe nail

2010-06-17 2:28 PM

Expert
Long Island, NY

Anyone else taking a really long time to get warmed up?

Just a few months ago, I could get started and, within minutes, settle in a pace.  Lately, it takes a good twenty to twenty five minutes to get everything loosened up and feeling right.  No pain, no soreness or deep fatigue.  It's just agony waiting for my body to feel like it's ready to go when the mind is already there.

Could be normal, but it's new to me.

2010-06-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2928629

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
thelunchbox - 2010-06-17 2:28 PM

Just a few months ago, I could get started and, within minutes, settle in a pace.  Lately, it takes a good twenty to twenty five minutes to get everything loosened up and feeling right.  No pain, no soreness or deep fatigue.  It's just agony waiting for my body to feel like it's ready to go when the mind is already there.

I have the same issue, i think for me it is just fatigue.. Next IM, I am making sure to keep a good bit of base before I jump in!

Also, I notice I get winded going up 1 flight of stairs. I can handle 20 flights, and after a few, I'm good, but 1 kicks my .. Someone said it had to do with being in good cardio shape and my hearts takes a bit to realize it needs to get up to do a workout, before it kicks on, but.. boy I get made fun of.  
2010-06-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2928646

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
AdCo - 2010-06-17 3:31 PM

thelunchbox - 2010-06-17 2:28 PM

I have the same issue, i think for me it is just fatigue.. Next IM, I am making sure to keep a good bit of base before I jump in!

Also, I notice I get winded going up 1 flight of stairs. I can handle 20 flights, and after a few, I'm good, but 1 kicks my .. Someone said it had to do with being in good cardio shape and my hearts takes a bit to realize it needs to get up to do a workout, before it kicks on, but.. boy I get made fun of.  

I think this all goes back to the discussion around training zones. I am doing some intentional zone 2 work this time around as last time I seemed to become a one speed athlete. Sprint or IM I was hitting the same paces. I think your body adjusts too well to the long slow workouts and needs the kick in the rear of going lactic every once in a while to keep things moving. This time I am pacing my long bike workouts harder than the pace I intend to go on race day. Just my 2 cents and I am sure this will kick off more discussion on long slow vs interval training, ect ect. Purely my opinion and I am no expert. I just know this seems to be working much better for me this time around. And after you complete the IM, let them laugh at you then!!
2010-06-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2927290

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey

Good times!

I didn't know that tents came with outlets to plug in your laptop. lol
2010-06-17 4:32 PM

Expert
New York
The training weekend up at LP was super fun and exactly what I needed to both give me the confidence to know I can do this race, and a decent kick in the rear to keep working hard.

We had some pretty solid rain on the morning of our 100+ ride, which was good because I got to experience the descent into Keene in crappy weather--so, I'll feel ready if that happens on race day. However, I did discover that my $15 sunglasses work like $15 sunglasses. Meaning, poorly. They kept fogging up, and I'll tell you, when you're careening down those hills, the last thing you want to do is remove a hand from your bars to try to (unsuccessfully) de-fog them with a finger. So I either had to do that, or try to wedge them down to the tip of my nose so I could peer over them, but then of course, deal with rain hitting my eyeballs at 26 mph. Um, ow.

Anyone have any solutions for this? Do you use swim defogger on your glasses?

2010-06-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2928939

swishyskirt - 2010-06-17 5:32 PM The training weekend up at LP was super fun and exactly what I needed to both give me the confidence to know I can do this race, and a decent kick in the rear to keep working hard.

We had some pretty solid rain on the morning of our 100+ ride, which was good because I got to experience the descent into Keene in crappy weather--so, I'll feel ready if that happens on race day. However, I did discover that my $15 sunglasses work like $15 sunglasses. Meaning, poorly. They kept fogging up, and I'll tell you, when you're careening down those hills, the last thing you want to do is remove a hand from your bars to try to (unsuccessfully) de-fog them with a finger. So I either had to do that, or try to wedge them down to the tip of my nose so I could peer over them, but then of course, deal with rain hitting my eyeballs at 26 mph. Um, ow.

Beg, borrow or steal yourself a legit pair of shades.  I spent a small fortune on my Oakleys but they never fog, when I'd several hours into a BRICK or Race the polarized lens keeps everything sharp and clear -- like objects in the road and traffic.   Go to a specialty store, spend lots of time with a sales rep, find a pair that are comfortable and will work for the bike especially, and spend the money.  Your body parts and physical well-being are worth it.  At least mine are!!!  

2010-06-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2928629

thelunchbox - 2010-06-17 3:28 PM

Hi Charles!!  Welcome to the Wonderful World of Endurance Training.  Welcome You're new to this... aren't you!   YES, this is perfectly normal.  Now that you're actually logging multiple hour plus s/b/r workouts in a single week, this kind of stuff happens.  For me, I sometimes stiff on the bike for the first hour.  On the Run I don't start feeling good until 3 or 4 miles.  In the pool I need a good 1,000 meters to feel 'warmed up'. 

If you are training hard, long, and consistent -- the soreness and fatigue will come.  If not...

2010-06-17 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2928742

Monty - 2010-06-17 4:03 PM - ...This time I am pacing my long bike workouts harder than the pace I intend to go on race day. Just my 2 cents and I am sure this will kick off more discussion on long slow vs interval training, ect ect. Purely my opinion and I am no expert. I just know this seems to be working much better for me this time around. And after you complete the IM, let them laugh at you then!!

I'm Swimming hard and Biking hard because statistically the chance of injury is very low and Recovery rate is very high.  The Run however, I am doing only a dash of Short Tempo-work, but moreover, I am concentrating on aerobic, moderate and consistent Efforts due to the higher chance of injury and longer Recovery time.   Based off my short experience in this sport, this looks to be working so far.   

2010-06-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2928958

Expert
New York
Dream Chaser - 2010-06-17 5:44 PM

swishyskirt - 2010-06-17 5:32 PM The training weekend up at LP was super fun and exactly what I needed to both give me the confidence to know I can do this race, and a decent kick in the rear to keep working hard.

Beg, borrow or steal yourself a legit pair of shades.  I spent a small fortune on my Oakleys but they never fog, when I'd several hours into a BRICK or Race the polarized lens keeps everything sharp and clear -- like objects in the road and traffic.   Go to a specialty store, spend lots of time with a sales rep, find a pair that are comfortable and will work for the bike especially, and spend the money.  Your body parts and physical well-being are worth it.  At least mine are!!!  

...What if you're really too poor for a decent pair of shades? I have drooled over a pair of Oakleys now for a good five months, but my budget is just not gonna let me spend that kinda dough.

So....defogger anyone?

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193