BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2267367

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
swbkrun - 2009-07-07 10:37 AM I don't know guys... "SLOPPY" seems pretty defined!!! 

Nick-ditch the coach.  What does sloppy mean.  None of that makes sense...If it is your hips, feet, head, etc... No toys for that!!!  Ask the coach what sloppy means then we can go from there...

To all--- MJ Memorial http://mashable.com/2009/07/06/watch-michael-jackson-memorial/

Last night I had a nice care package at my door.... Includes 2 sets of TEAM OUCH tires as well!  Pretty sweet deal- 1 Short Sleeve Jersey, 1 Long Sleeve (thick) Jersey, 1 Jacket (with pockets in rear), 2 hats, 1 set of Arm Warmers, and lots of stickers!

Sweet!  Like an early christmas gift.

2009-07-07 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

swbkrun - 2009-07-07 10:37 AM I don't know guys... "SLOPPY" seems pretty defined!!! 

Nick-ditch the coach.  What does sloppy mean.  None of that makes sense...If it is your hips, feet, head, etc... No toys for that!!!  Ask the coach what sloppy means then we can go from there...

To all--- MJ Memorial http://mashable.com/2009/07/06/watch-michael-jackson-memorial/

Last night I had a nice care package at my door.... Includes 2 sets of TEAM OUCH tires as well!  Pretty sweet deal- 1 Short Sleeve Jersey, 1 Long Sleeve (thick) Jersey, 1 Jacket (with pockets in rear), 2 hats, 1 set of Arm Warmers, and lots of stickers!

Nice!  I guess membership has its privileges...

2009-07-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2266842

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
DougRob - 2009-07-07 8:28 AM The last 4 days of training have been great. I am not sure what is happening, but the runs, swims and bike rides have all felt great. Without giving it my all I rode the Triangle Triathlon bike route at 21.3 mph and then ran strong off the bike. I have had good swims followed by endophin rushes, and today and sunday I had strong running sessions. This mornings was one of those runs that happens once and while where you free like your floating over the ground (as opposed to trudging through mud).

I have been trying to go to bed earlier and that may be helping but I have not been able to fall asleep quickly when I do this. (Hmm...) Anyway I am hoping that this keeps up through Sundays race.

Doug

Doug, that is some good speed.  If you could just figure out EXACTLY how to re invent that anytime you needed it, you would be in good shape.  The extra rest may have something to do with it also.  I am trying to make a commitment myself to cleaning up my diet between now and september to see if I can get a lttle boost ( and loose another couple of pounds).
2009-07-07 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2266138

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

brownnugen - 2009-07-06 9:47 PM

I wish my swim was better.  My swim time from the Montclair Triathlon a couple of weeks ago was actually 20 seconds slower than last year's time.  I know it is all in my technique.  I posted this on the main triathlon talk forum and hope it is ok to cross post it.  Here it is:

Need to improve my technique for the swim.  When I started tri's, I saw that somebody highly recommended the Finis Forearm Fulcrum to improve swim technique.  Here is what they are:  http://www.finisinc.com/en/P-10502850/Forearm-Fulcrum-Sr  For some reason or another, I never got comfortable with them and put them away in the closet.

Fast forward a year and my swim still stinks.  When I was with my Master's group, I asked the coach about my technique and she said that my stroke itself was a bit sloppy and recommended that I use a set of paddles.  I saw these Finis Freestyler paddles:  http://www.finisinc.com/en/P-10502050/Freestyler-Hand-Paddles that seem like they are pretty cool. 

Question-- should I get the Freestyler paddles or should I just continue trying to use the forearm fulcrum? Do they complement each other or are they both specific tools that have a different purpose?

Thanks,
-Nick

I used the Kevin Koskella swim video which I purchased through the web site. It mad a huge difference in my swim times and I highly recommend it to improve your technique.

2009-07-07 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
swbkrun - 2009-07-07 11:37 AM

Niice!  How did you land this?
2009-07-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2267526

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
JHagerman - 2009-07-07 9:26 AM

We sat at a table w/ the CST folks during the Livestrong dinner and got to talking, then the next day after our ride they came up to us in the beer garden and asked for our home address!?  That was it!!! Like I said... We got lucky I guess!  Super nice folks though (obviously !).  I will let you know how the tires work out.  Timing is perfect though as I put a hole in the sidewall of my tire riding this weekend, so I was going to have to buy a new one this week... PERFECT!

2009-07-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2267526

User image

Elite
Raleigh
JHagerman - 2009-07-07 11:26 AM

Jeremy:

It does not mater since one of things that make Steve BTer of the month is his generosity. I am sure he got a set for each of us in the SWBKRUN MG! Thanks Steve! Wink Laughing

Doug
2009-07-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2267549

User image

Master
Small Town
swbkrun - 2009-07-07 12:34 PM
JHagerman - 2009-07-07 9:26 AM

We sat at a table w/ the CST folks during the Livestrong dinner and got to talking, then the next day after our ride they came up to us in the beer garden and asked for our home address!?  That was it!!! Like I said... We got lucky I guess!  Super nice folks though (obviously !).  I will let you know how the tires work out.  Timing is perfect though as I put a hole in the sidewall of my tire riding this weekend, so I was going to have to buy a new one this week... PERFECT!

Very cool!
2009-07-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2267214

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-07-07 8:59 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-07 10:54 AM
brownnugen - 2009-07-06 8:47 PM

I wish my swim was better.  My swim time from the Montclair Triathlon a couple of weeks ago was actually 20 seconds slower than last year's time.  I know it is all in my technique.  I posted this on the main triathlon talk forum and hope it is ok to cross post it.  Here it is:

Need to improve my technique for the swim.  When I started tri's, I saw that somebody highly recommended the Finis Forearm Fulcrum to improve swim technique.  Here is what they are:  http://www.finisinc.com/en/P-10502850/Forearm-Fulcrum-Sr  For some reason or another, I never got comfortable with them and put them away in the closet.

Fast forward a year and my swim still stinks.  When I was with my Master's group, I asked the coach about my technique and she said that my stroke itself was a bit sloppy and recommended that I use a set of paddles.  I saw these Finis Freestyler paddles:  http://www.finisinc.com/en/P-10502050/Freestyler-Hand-Paddles that seem like they are pretty cool. 

Question-- should I get the Freestyler paddles or should I just continue trying to use the forearm fulcrum? Do they complement each other or are they both specific tools that have a different purpose?

Thanks,
-Nick

Nick

I might be the last one of the group that should be giving you advice on swimming, but I will start the ball rolling.  First, the advice from your Masters group coach is lame.  What the heck does a sloppy stroke even mean? and how do you fix it?  Second,  I have not found "toys" to be the best mechanism to improve my stroke.  For me,  it has been the helpful insight of three different coaches.  Each gave me advice on how to fine tune my stroke and given me very specific drills to get there.  If I were you, I would search out a coach for a couple of private lessons.  You obviously are already finishing triathlons so it might be a tweak here and there that makes a big difference.

Suzy

oops, sorry forgot about your post Nick.  I was going to say the same thing as Suzy.  You need to find a coach that can work with you one on one.

Hey Nick, I bought a pair of those paddles this year and I like them. Tracy is a big fan of them as well. She was the one who got me onto them. That being said I agee with the others .'Sloppy' is pretty open for interpretation.
2009-07-07 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Welcome Back Steve!!!! Congrats on both the BTer of the Month and the gear score - could not have gone to a more deserving person.

2009-07-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Chet, and anyone else shipping a bike:

I remembered the following during my run this AM that may help all of you. Here is a cheap way to get a little more protection for your bike during shipment. Go to the local BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant) and buy some pipe insulation. It comes in different diameters and is slit along it length. Instead of using on water pipes, use it around your frame tubes. All you have to do is cut it to length and be a little creative around the head tube and other tube junctures. Admittedly some of the new non-cylindrical tube will be a challange, but a little eletrical tape can go a long way to keeping the insulation in place.

After wrapping you bike put it in the carrying case/box, etc. The insulation will not protect your bike from being crushed, but will protect it from nicks, scrathes, and incidental contact. I used this technique extensively for years.

Doug

2009-07-07 4:08 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
For anyone that does not read the Triathlon Talk forum, JetBlue has waived the bike fees for the month of July!
2009-07-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2267421

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
I meant to reply a little earlier about my swimming.  I should have explained it a little better when the master's coach said my stroke was "sloppy."  She explained that I wasn't finishing off the stroke (I guess the pushing half of the stroke before the recovery) and I also wasn't rolling my hips enough to get the couple of extra inches of reach on each stroke.  She recommended getting the paddles to get the proper feel. 

I do need to get some good drills to get the right muscle memory and feel for proper technique.  As mentioned earlier, I'm not too worried about endurance or anything, as I think I have it and if I don't, that'll eventually come.  My weak link is finding the time to get swim time in.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.
-Nick

2009-07-07 6:32 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

T1 Question.  At my tri this coming Sunday (to be practiced on Saturday) I am planning on rubber banding my shoes to the bike.  I watched the video here on BT to get an idea how to do it, but they said that you needed two different size rubber bands.  Does anyone have any input as to rubber band size or other helpful hints in attaching the shoes to the bike?

2009-07-07 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Noob question.  I think my lung capacity caught up with my leg muscles, as they feel tired and heavy after a run now.   I have been swimming at lunch (5-6 hours later) on the same days as my runs.  I am not sure that this is good idea going forward as I felt drained today.  What is everyone else's experience with this, especially those non-runners who have to work at running like I do.

On the flip side, my run was pretty good this morning - ran up a couple of hills on the route today!

2009-07-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2268660

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
ashort33 - 2009-07-07 4:32 PM

T1 Question.  At my tri this coming Sunday (to be practiced on Saturday) I am planning on rubber banding my shoes to the bike.  I watched the video here on BT to get an idea how to do it, but they said that you needed two different size rubber bands.  Does anyone have any input as to rubber band size or other helpful hints in attaching the shoes to the bike?

Why do you need/want to that?  I don't feel like it saves much time... You run the risk of stepping on something, shoe falling off in progress... Crashing on your bike trying to get your foot in the shoe, etc... You lose more time trying to get your foot in your shoe while biking as well.

Just my 2 cents.  I know it's "cool," but I don't see a value. 

However to answer your question, any "normal" size band should be able to go around the shoe and arm?!  I think!

2009-07-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2268671

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-07-07 6:38 PM
ashort33 - 2009-07-07 4:32 PM

Why do you need/want to that?  I don't feel like it saves much time... You run the risk of stepping on something, shoe falling off in progress... Crashing on your bike trying to get your foot in the shoe, etc... You lose more time trying to get your foot in your shoe while biking as well.

Just my 2 cents.  I know it's "cool," but I don't see a value. 

However to answer your question, any "normal" size band should be able to go around the shoe and arm?!  I think!

I think the cool factor is really high with that manevuer, but I have watched many amateurs struggle to get their feet off the tops of their shoes and closed while I whistle by.   I might not be as cool, but I am still in front of them (for at least a little while!)  
2009-07-07 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2268625

User image

Champion
brownnugen - 2009-07-07 6:07 PM I meant to reply a little earlier about my swimming.  I should have explained it a little better when the master's coach said my stroke was "sloppy."  She explained that I wasn't finishing off the stroke (I guess the pushing half of the stroke before the recovery) and I also wasn't rolling my hips enough to get the couple of extra inches of reach on each stroke.  She recommended getting the paddles to get the proper feel. 

I do need to get some good drills to get the right muscle memory and feel for proper technique.  As mentioned earlier, I'm not too worried about endurance or anything, as I think I have it and if I don't, that'll eventually come.  My weak link is finding the time to get swim time in.

-Nick

NOW you tell us the whole story!    I had this issue last year. It was pretty easy to fix-just make sure you feel your finger trail all the way down your leg before beginning the recovery.  My swimming coach actually had me hold my arm there for an extra second so I knew what it felt like. 
2009-07-07 7:31 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I want try it once or twice in practice to see how difficult it is.  I am not all the coordinated, so if it is a little difficult to execute in practice situation, I will definitely not be doing it in a race...

2009-07-07 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2268739

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
ashort33 - 2009-07-07 7:31 PM

I want try it once or twice in practice to see how difficult it is.  I am not all the coordinated, so if it is a little difficult to execute in practice situation, I will definitely not be doing it in a race...

I would be afraid of having something on my feet (sand) that I would have to deal with for the ride.  Also, are you wearing socks or going sockless?
2009-07-07 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2268802

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-07-07 8:07 PM
ashort33 - 2009-07-07 7:31 PM

I would be afraid of having something on my feet (sand) that I would have to deal with for the ride.  Also, are you wearing socks or going sockless?

I am newly sockless on the ride...  Have not tried running with no socks...

Edited by ashort33 2009-07-07 8:14 PM

2009-07-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2268625

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
brownnugen - 2009-07-07 6:07 PM I meant to reply a little earlier about my swimming.  I should have explained it a little better when the master's coach said my stroke was "sloppy."  She explained that I wasn't finishing off the stroke (I guess the pushing half of the stroke before the recovery) and I also wasn't rolling my hips enough to get the couple of extra inches of reach on each stroke.  She recommended getting the paddles to get the proper feel. 

-Nick

[/QUOTE

Ok I am a terrible swimmer but an OWS coach gave me a good visual.  A) - slow the stroke down B) think about stretching out my hand an extra second before I start to pull.  I felt like I was able to glide along another second.  I may not have been magically faster but I felt like was swimming with less effort.
2009-07-07 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Hey, it's almost Wednesday.....WHO's racing this weekend? distance? goals?

Me! My first sprint of the season in a tiny little town in Northern WI. Goal is to beat last year's time and not turn my ankle on the very bumpy cross country run!
2009-07-07 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2268936

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-07-07 9:16 PM Hey, it's almost Wednesday.....WHO's racing this weekend? distance? goals?

Me! My first sprint of the season in a tiny little town in Northern WI. Goal is to beat last year's time and not turn my ankle on the very bumpy cross country run!

Tracy and I are in the Triangle Tri on sunday AM, it is a sprint 750 OWS/17.5/5K. Its my first OWS.
2009-07-07 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
I'm thinking of signing up for this, Peter Vanderkay will be at the one I'd attend.  Could be good for my swimming, could be more of a PR thing... what do you think?

https://swimchampions.com/detail/rochester-mi/
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383