BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-09 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2274859

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
DougRob - 2009-07-09 9:38 PM So there is a lot of grumbling about the parking situation at Sunday's Triangle Tri. The race is at a new location. and the route is terrific, but parking is very limited. There will NOT be room for 1100 participants to park. We received warnings today. I am carpooling with a volunteer who is guaranteed a place to park, but others are really bummed. I think that they will fix the problem next time by creating trmote parking. However people are disappointed their loved ones can't be there.

ANyone else experience anything like this?

Parking at Mooseman was pretty tight, had to walk about a mile to transition.

At my last Tri there was no parking at the event site, had to park at a highschool over a mile away.

Not bad when it's just you but it was a real pain at mooseman with the 2 kids.

2009-07-09 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
So I just had a really neat experience. Being a former fat-boy I have never heard this before.
So wife and kids are out of town, and I had ball at 6:25 tonight. So got home from work, drove down to where we play and went for a nice 10k run. I timed it so that I would have a few minutes to catch my breath,etc before I had to play.
Well alll of the team was there when I got back. Some of them, are softball players, and that is it. So not in the best shape. They were like "Dude you went for a run before ball? How far did you run?" So I said 10k. One of the guys shakes his head and says something like"You Fit people are crazy". "You triathlon guys,etc,etc" Of course I downplayed it to them, but it felt really friggin' good to me for others outside of my little group in my life to call me "fit" or "athletic"
It does feel kind of weird though. For essentially the last 10 years or so, I was a sedentary overweight guy. Now others are looking at me as this crazy athlete kind of guy. I mean I got some lbs to lose still, but its neat.
2009-07-09 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
WOW!!! Feel like I haven't spoken to you all forever!  I know I haven't trained forever.
Baseball is killing me.  You've all seen the Little League World Series.  We just started and it's just local pool play, but, man, it eats up a ton of time.  I can't imagine how much time is put in once they get to the region level or to Pennsylvania.

Anyhow, enough of me about time...
You guys are all doing awesome it looks like.

I plan to run a Midnight 5k tomorrow night.  It'll be my first session of any sort since last Friday.

Hopefully I can get caught up starting next week.

Sounds weird but I missed you guys.  Every time I missed a workout I felt bad because I had let you all down.
2009-07-09 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2274966

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-07-09 9:20 PM So I just had a really neat experience. Being a former fat-boy I have never heard this before.
So wife and kids are out of town, and I had ball at 6:25 tonight. So got home from work, drove down to where we play and went for a nice 10k run. I timed it so that I would have a few minutes to catch my breath,etc before I had to play.
Well alll of the team was there when I got back. Some of them, are softball players, and that is it. So not in the best shape. They were like "Dude you went for a run before ball? How far did you run?" So I said 10k. One of the guys shakes his head and says something like"You Fit people are crazy". "You triathlon guys,etc,etc" Of course I downplayed it to them, but it felt really friggin' good to me for others outside of my little group in my life to call me "fit" or "athletic"
It does feel kind of weird though. For essentially the last 10 years or so, I was a sedentary overweight guy. Now others are looking at me as this crazy athlete kind of guy. I mean I got some lbs to lose still, but its neat.

Great story Trevor!  You should be proud of the work you have put in!

2009-07-09 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2275015

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

BigReub - 2009-07-09 9:39 PM WOW!!! Feel like I haven't spoken to you all forever!  I know I haven't trained forever.
Baseball is killing me.  You've all seen the Little League World Series.  We just started and it's just local pool play, but, man, it eats up a ton of time.  I can't imagine how much time is put in once they get to the region level or to Pennsylvania.

Anyhow, enough of me about time...
You guys are all doing awesome it looks like.

I plan to run a Midnight 5k tomorrow night.  It'll be my first session of any sort since last Friday.

Hopefully I can get caught up starting next week.

Sounds weird but I missed you guys.  Every time I missed a workout I felt bad because I had let you all down.

Don't apologize for spending time with your kids.  Those memories and experiences will last much longer than the next event!  Sounds to me like your priorities are right!

2009-07-10 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
TrevorC - 2009-07-09 9:20 PM So I just had a really neat experience. Being a former fat-boy I have never heard this before.

That's awesome!  You should feel good about yourself and proud of all your hard work.  It's always nice when other people recognize your efforts.

2009-07-10 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

way to go skinny!  great story.
2009-07-10 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2275440

User image

Champion
Yeah that is awesome Trevor.
2009-07-10 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Hey Trevor ... A six mile (that is the way we do it down here) run and then softball, that is hard core.  Speaking of once being a "fat boy", my wife just showed me some pics of me at the lake last year, DAMM I was FAT.  You know, it is hard to really comprehend what your body looks like,  I have always felt in shape, and 20 lbs lighter, I still feel the same as I did 20 lbs ago.  It sure is nice to look at this years pics though.

I am feeling pretty tired this week.  Seemed like the last couple of workouts, I didn't have it in my legs.  I know I haven't just killed the volume on my workouts, but maybe I have increased the load a little and am needing a little break.  I actually went to bed last night before the sun went down!  12 hours sleep ... now I think I am tired from sleeping.
Anyway, it is going to be a rest day for me today, and hopefully tomorrow I will have a good long run.

QUESTION:  At what point do you guys know you need a break?  Do you push thru tired legs etc. to increase fitness?  I know that has to be good at times.  Or, do your legs feel well rested for most of your workouts?

Good luck to everyone this weekend that is racing.  Kick some booty.

2009-07-10 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2275685

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-07-10 8:46 AM

Hey Trevor ... A six mile (that is the way we do it down here) run and then softball, that is hard core.  Speaking of once being a "fat boy", my wife just showed me some pics of me at the lake last year, DAMM I was FAT.  You know, it is hard to really comprehend what your body looks like,  I have always felt in shape, and 20 lbs lighter, I still feel the same as I did 20 lbs ago.  It sure is nice to look at this years pics though.

I am feeling pretty tired this week.  Seemed like the last couple of workouts, I didn't have it in my legs.  I know I haven't just killed the volume on my workouts, but maybe I have increased the load a little and am needing a little break.  I actually went to bed last night before the sun went down!  12 hours sleep ... now I think I am tired from sleeping.
Anyway, it is going to be a rest day for me today, and hopefully tomorrow I will have a good long run.

QUESTION:  At what point do you guys know you need a break?  Do you push thru tired legs etc. to increase fitness?  I know that has to be good at times.  Or, do your legs feel well rested for most of your workouts?

Good luck to everyone this weekend that is racing.  Kick some booty.

Barry, I have been struggling with the same thing this week.  My volume is up some, but not enough to cause the fatigue.  I have mostly a day of rest tomorrow - just a short amount of time in the lake.  But I plan to sleep in and not push it. 

I also think my actual schedule has been tough this week.  Ride mon evening, up Tue at 5 to run and then swim at noon.  Repeat on Wed/Thu.  It's almost like too much in too few hours.  I am going to change that for next week to see it improves. 

That and the heat, its not helping either...

Edit - I checked your logs and they look like mine.  Perhaps there is a way to organize the workouts to keep the legs fresher...

Edited by ashort33 2009-07-10 9:11 AM
2009-07-10 9:38 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Barry I had something similar yesterday. My wiafe called me at work to tell me she had my drivers license. I must have left it in my riding shirt. She said that the photo does not look anything like me. I was 80+ lbs. heavier when the photo was taken she noted that I will need to renew it in 2011. My badge for work in the same way. I look like somebody took an airhose and inflated me. I like having the reminder. Now that I am doing tris I would not mind droppong 15-20 lbs more. Hopefully the new raining plan will help when it starts 7/19.

I find that fatigue comes and goes. I am trying to get to bed earlier as everything I read says that sleep is essential to proper recovery. My problem is that I do not sleep well lately.

Doug

2009-07-10 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Happy Friday!!

Congratulations to all the "boys" who have lost big weight.  The stories are great!

For those that are complaining of being tired, not being able to sleep well or having heavy legs, are you taking your RHR daily?  Watching the change in this measure can help you assess whether the load is appropriate. I usually strap on my HRM for 10-15 minutes before getting up.  The other way to evaluate it is to watch your HR on similar efforts.  If your EZ HR days are in the 150s and you start seeing it creep up, that could be overtraining. If course, it could also be temperature or hydration, etc.   I also think that diet plays a HUGE roll in recovery.  For those that lost weight, are you keeping your cals up? are they the right cals? Lean protein, good carbs and lots of F&Vs are critical for repair.   Finally, I think following an appropriate plan helps reduce the chance of overtraining.  Someone has already thought about how to build recovery into your week.  Last year, I was tired a lot more because I was using the "pile it on" theory.  I am not doing that this year and it has helped.  As much as I about a rest day or recovery week or ez day, deep down I know they are right.  As I have been told by Steve countless times, you make your biggest gains from the recovery following the hard effort. 

Doug, your sleep issues can be a big sign of overtraining assuming you don't have other crap going on in your life to cause it.  Since you are a guy, I won't bring up the other reason sleep is often distrupted, hormones .

Off for my 15 minute OWS.  And then I will have to ponder what to do with the rest of my day.  I have already cleaned the house, done all the laundry and it isn't even 10:30am yet!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-10 10:18 AM
2009-07-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2276048

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-07-10 10:16 AM Happy Friday!!

Doug, your sleep issues can be a big sign of overtraining assuming you don't have other crap going on in your life to cause it.  Since you are a guy, I won't bring up the other reason sleep is often distrupted, hormones .

One more reason: I get up to use the facilities at least once/night. I drink a lot (not beer John), and this is one consequence. Otherwise, sometimes my neck is stiff and it is hard to get comfortable.
2009-07-10 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2276092

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
DougRob - 2009-07-10 9:24 AM

One more reason: I get up to use the facilities at least once/night. I drink a lot (not beer John), and this is one consequence. Otherwise, sometimes my neck is stiff and it is hard to get comfortable.

I drink a ton of water as well. I try to shut it down though a few hours before bed time. Otherwise, I'm like an old man getting up 3 times during the night to go the bathroom as well. Either that or hormones Cool
2009-07-10 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2276092

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-07-10 10:24 AM

Ok this might sound silly but does your neck get stiff sleeping or from workouts, old injury, etc.?  Anyway I ask b/c make sure you have the right pillow and your neck is in the correct alignment.  If I have too fluffy or big of a pillow, I wake up w/ neck pain and a terrible headache.
2009-07-10 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2276210

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2009-07-10 10:54 AM
DougRob - 2009-07-10 10:24 AM

Ok this might sound silly but does your neck get stiff sleeping or from workouts, old injury, etc.?  Anyway I ask b/c make sure you have the right pillow and your neck is in the correct alignment.  If I have too fluffy or big of a pillow, I wake up w/ neck pain and a terrible headache.

I ended up getting a Temurpedic pillow because I kept waking up due to poor alignment. 

Doug, drink often, but early.The same thing happens to me and if I don't stop drinking two hours before I go to bed I am in trouble.

I did think of on other thing that often makes me feel awful the day after a long workout.  Not fueling enough during the event and immediately thereafter.   After my long, but easy bike ride last weekend I felt like a tank had hit me later that day and all the next day.  I was undercaloried on the ride and at caramel corn post workout instead of my normal chocolate/white milk combo.  Just stupid. 

2009-07-10 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hi everyone.  I am officially back from Kansas.  Had a fantastic time and didn't want to return.  We are currently moving the Thai inlaws out (yhea!!!!!!) so I'll have to catch up on all the posts later tonight.  Thanks for the inspires, it's nice to be missed.  I hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July.  I officially got my butt kicked on the 10K, but it was a good time for me so I won't complain.  Besides, those running turkeys don't have enough body fat to handle the swims and would get blown off a bike right? Wink  It was kind of strange though b/c my high school x-country coach won his 65yr age group. 
2009-07-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2276461

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-07-10 1:35 PM Hi everyone.  I am officially back from Kansas.  Had a fantastic time and didn't want to return.  We are currently moving the Thai inlaws out (yhea!!!!!!) so I'll have to catch up on all the posts later tonight.  Thanks for the inspires, it's nice to be missed.  I hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July.  I officially got my butt kicked on the 10K, but it was a good time for me so I won't complain.  Besides, those running turkeys don't have enough body fat to handle the swims and would get blown off a bike right? Wink  It was kind of strange though b/c my high school x-country coach won his 65yr age group. 

Welcome back!
2009-07-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2276485

User image

Champion
Anyone here speak french?  I need someone to write a sentence in French for me.
2009-07-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2276496

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-07-10 11:50 AM Anyone here speak french?  I need someone to write a sentence in French for me.

welcom back Tracy.....And cmon hit me Tony....
2009-07-10 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

so I got home from work and was gathering my gear to head out for a workout. Had everything at the front door but made the big mistake of sitting down for a minute. Fell asleep in the chari and didn't wake up unitl after 11:00 PM. Guess ii need ed the sleep more than the workout. I had been feeling really tired for several days. Felling better now though. I know cause I'm really hungry today. Anyway have a great weekend everyone. I don't know who is racing but good luck to each of you out there doing your thing.

2009-07-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2276503

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-07-10 1:52 PM
dalessit - 2009-07-10 11:50 AM Anyone here speak french?  I need someone to write a sentence in French for me.

welcom back Tracy.....And cmon hit me Tony....

check your PM
2009-07-10 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2276496

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-07-10 12:50 PM Anyone here speak french?  I need someone to write a sentence in French for me.

Babelfish???

2009-07-10 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2276508

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Redknight - 2009-07-10 11:56 AM

so I got home from work and was gathering my gear to head out for a workout. Had everything at the front door but made the big mistake of sitting down for a minute. Fell asleep in the chari and didn't wake up unitl after 11:00 PM. Guess ii need ed the sleep more than the workout. I had been feeling really tired for several days. Felling better now though. I know cause I'm really hungry today. Anyway have a great weekend everyone. I don't know who is racing but good luck to each of you out there doing your thing.

It happens....Catching up on sleep is never a bad thing. Have good weekend Rob!
2009-07-10 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383