General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-06-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2940251

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-06-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2337428

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
I actually promised my bf, like, swore up and down, that this would be my one and only IM. Then, last weekend, sitting on his deck, sipping a beer and watching the sunset, I mused, "If I ever do another IM..."

"Wait, what do you mean, 'if I ever do another one'?"

Whoooooops. lol.

I just don't want it to be a "bucket list" kinda deal, you know? Tri is a way of life for me. Maybe not IM distances, but I don't want to feel Anyway, I had to promise him that it would be many years from now and that I would be focusing on shorter (ish--HIMs and such) races from now on and maybe BQ'ing. He did not seem convinced.

:-P

Honestly, I'm lucky that I can do this now. I have an evening shift job, so my training is all during the weekdays, so very little impact on family and friends (hey, I can do my 6 hour bike rides on a Wednesday!). No kids. Just two cats who are borderline not recognizing me when I walk in the door these days ("heeeyyy...you look familiar...."). I told the bf if we are married with kids in a few years, then it becomes a joint decision if I ever decide to do another Ironman again. (I think I can convince him, though....).

Either way, this is my first and only-thus-far-that-may-change-we'll-see Ironman. SO excited!

2010-06-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2939275

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
thelunchbox - 2010-06-23 2:09 PM

Not I.  Not for a couple of years when both kids are in school.  That, and I need to work on having more control over the chaos that is my life.  I'm not there yet.

There you go again trying to control your life.

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

2010-06-23 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2940278

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
swishyskirt - 2010-06-23 9:47 PM I actually promised my bf, like, swore up and down, that this would be my one and only IM. Then, last weekend, sitting on his deck, sipping a beer and watching the sunset, I mused, "If I ever do another IM..."

Whoooooops. lol.

I just don't want it to be a "bucket list" kinda deal, you know? Tri is a way of life for me. Maybe not IM distances, but I don't want to feel Anyway, I had to promise him that it would be many years from now and that I would be focusing on shorter (ish--HIMs and such) races from now on and maybe BQ'ing. He did not seem convinced.

Honestly, I'm lucky that I can do this now. I have an evening shift job, so my training is all during the weekdays, so very little impact on family and friends (hey, I can do my 6 hour bike rides on a Wednesday!). No kids. Just two cats who are borderline not recognizing me when I walk in the door these days ("heeeyyy...you look familiar...."). I told the bf if we are married with kids in a few years, then it becomes a joint decision if I ever decide to do another Ironman again. (I think I can convince him, though....).

Either way, this is my first and only-thus-far-that-may-change-we'll-see Ironman. SO excited!

IM training is a TON of training.  I love the race but can get consumed by the training.

2010-06-23 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2917007

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hartamophone - 2010-06-11 11:13 PM Hey Folks,

So I live in LP part-time and have a ton of family and friends there.  Pumped to be doing the race this year for the first time.

Anyway, just a plea from a local to please share the road when doing your bike training in the area.  And no, sharing the road does not mean letting cars deal with it while you ride three across.  You have to remember that Lake Placid is not the most bike-friendly area in the world and road biking in large numbers is a relative new phenomenon to the village, so you can't ride like you would in Boulder and just assume that people are content with riding behind a cyclist for four miles.  Some of the locals are really getting testy about this, and it seems to get worse every year (especially after last years anecdotes about a group of cyclists not ceding to a fire truck).  It sucks that there aren't decent shoulders on many of the roads (especially 73 between Keene and LP), but for the sake of goodwill and a future home for the race, please think about pulling off every couple of miles and keep in mind that no matter how much we feel like rock stars on race day, we don't own the roads.  I'll do my part to try and calm down some locals - many of whom I will admit are short-sighted and irrational about this issue - but a little goodwill goes a long way.

See you all next month.  Can't wait.

Peace,

Hart 

I'll do my part by riding single fine, yielding to emergency vehicles and obeying the traffic laws.

To bad we can’t include some other “short-sighted and irrational” motorist that drive 2 ton machines that could squash me like a bug into this conversation. 

2010-06-23 10:12 PM

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
What is everyone's plan for bottles on the bike? I have been debating if I should start the race with 2 bottle on the xlab wing, one on the frame which is my nutrition and then an aero bottle on the handlebars, or if I should just go with the aero bottle and my nutrition.

If I went with the second option and took bottles while on course, what are the bottles like? I recently raced Mooseman 70.3 and they gave us regular plastic bottles which were way too small to fit in a cage holder. There were bottles all over the road.

2010-06-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2940278

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

swishyskirt - 2010-06-24 11:47 AM I actually promised my bf, like, swore up and down, that this would be my one and only IM. Then, last weekend, sitting on his deck, sipping a beer and watching the sunset, I mused, "If I ever do another IM..."

Whoooooops. lol.

IM's are like Lays Potato chips for me.  I needed more than just one and after I finish I have wanted another.  While you are "lucky the you can do this now" you'll always find a way if you want to keep going.  We (my family) seem to be adding more and more to our lives but there has never been a question of stopping.  When something new pops up we just add it on to all the other stuff. 

you'll be back

2010-06-23 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2940452

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

2 - 3 hr bottles of Infint and water from the course.

2010-06-23 11:04 PM

Master
Dunedin
I'll be over my IM fixation once IMLP is done and over with. Husband is doing it next year.  It's just too much time away from other things.  I'd like to see my friends and family more!

For camping: swishyskirt and I camped at Wilmington Notch and it was perfect.  We spent $30-something/night to have a space to sleep.  We honestly left the camp site in the morning and didn't return until after we ate dinner out.  It would have been a waste of $$ to have a hotel for the training weekend.  I had a truck...we were able to lock our bikes to the bike rack in the back.  Passengers in the front and our crap in the back seats.  I brought a blow up mattress and it was all good!

Just did a run just shy of 18 miles tonight.  So glad I won't see that mileage again until race day! It was freaking HOT.

p.s. I didn't feel the earth quake.  I was helping out at our office's Senior Picnic (older folks, not high school kids) and we got the call that our computer folks in Vermont were getting rumbles. 
2010-06-24 4:31 AM
in reply to: #2939248

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
PennState - 2010-06-23 2:00 PM BTW, as I have said many times before I am not going in for LP 2011. Who aside from Josh is likley in for 2011. Yes I know it's too early, just making conversation

I've been on the fence. First I thought no IMs, I'd like a solid year to get back to normal running and put more distance between injury and recovery. Then I debated IMLP, but in the end it's just too early in the season for me to be really committed. I'm going to sign up for IMWI '11 and decide early next year if I'll actually do it. I might make that one my annual, we'll see. Regardless I think I'll look for a couple more HIMs, I really enjoy the distance.
2010-06-24 5:49 AM

2010-06-24 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2940581

2010-06-24 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2940596

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
PennState - 2010-06-24 6:49 AM

Mcluvin22 - 2010-06-23 11:12 PM

What is everyone's plan for bottles on the bike? I have been debating if I should start the race with 2 bottle on the xlab wing, one on the frame which is my nutrition and then an aero bottle on the handlebars, or if I should just go with the aero bottle and my nutrition.

If I went with the second option and took bottles while on course, what are the bottles like? I recently raced Mooseman 70.3 and they gave us regular plastic bottles which were way too small to fit in a cage holder. There were bottles all over the road.

I always use questions like this to plead with people NOT to use the XLAB rear bottle carriers. The LP course is fast and can be bumpy on those fast parts. This leads to rear-bottle launching on the course and can result in causing others to crash.

That being said, I am aware that many people are gonna use them anyway, so rant over

Personally I only use 2 bottles holders total on my bike, one in the aerobars, and one on the frame.

You are planning on 4 bottles at the start (aerobars, frame and 2 on the rear bottle launcher). This is EXCESSIVE extra weight that you really don't want or need on the climb out of town. I would switch to fewer bottles IMHO.

To prevent bottles from launching, you just need to buy cheap aluminum cages and bend them so they really hold the water bottles tight. I didn't launch a single bottle riding the LP course.

2010-06-24 7:15 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Mcluvin22 - 2010-06-23 11:12 PM What is everyone's plan for bottles on the bike? I have been debating if I should start the race with 2 bottle on the xlab wing, one on the frame which is my nutrition and then an aero bottle on the handlebars, or if I should just go with the aero bottle and my nutrition.

I will use two bottle holders, a frame mounted and a horizontal mounted on the aero bars.  There are plenty of aid stations so I’ll just pick up fresh bottles. 

The plastic water bottles that the course gave out last year were a little loose in my cages.  It is more or less the same hazard in my opinion as ejection bottles.  Water bottles, tires, co2 cartridges and just about everything else people will carry will be littered on the course, ALL hazards. 

2010-06-24 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2940335

Coach
Boston, MA
Hartamophone - 2010-06-11 11:13 PM Hey Folks,

So I live in LP part-time and have a ton of family and friends there.  Pumped to be doing the race this year for the first time.

Anyway, just a plea from a local to please share the road when doing your bike training in the area.  And no, sharing the road does not mean letting cars deal with it while you ride three across.  You have to remember that Lake Placid is not the most bike-friendly area in the world and road biking in large numbers is a relative new phenomenon to the village, so you can't ride like you would in Boulder and just assume that people are content with riding behind a cyclist for four miles.  Some of the locals are really getting testy about this, and it seems to get worse every year (especially after last years anecdotes about a group of cyclists not ceding to a fire truck).  It sucks that there aren't decent shoulders on many of the roads (especially 73 between Keene and LP), but for the sake of goodwill and a future home for the race, please think about pulling off every couple of miles and keep in mind that no matter how much we feel like rock stars on race day, we don't own the roads.  I'll do my part to try and calm down some locals - many of whom I will admit are short-sighted and irrational about this issue - but a little goodwill goes a long way.

See you all next month.  Can't wait.

Peace,

Hart 

This is a great reminder. At our camp last weekend we reminded athletes to ride single file most of the time. The only place with a wide enough shoulder is 9N to Jay and that's about it. There were more than a few "training" camps that seemed to be more concerned about riding together, stopping to take pictures in not the safest places and to just enjoying the view to the point I requested some riders more than a few times to ride single file while I was driving by. A few times I was a bit more forceful but only after a group was riding 3 a breast on 86 to LP and cars were passing honking their horns and frustrated with reason.

That said, when I was parked near the out and back I saw more than a few drivers acting very hostile to any rider whether riding single file and sharing the road or not. I even got yelled a few interesting things as we had a support tent even though it was off the road.

Other good things to keep in mind - don't litter, bring clothes to ride in any conditions, make sure your bike is good to go (you don't want to find out you have no breaks going down to Keene!), bring spare tubes and pump (I stopped to help over 5 riders from other groups who didn't have tube spares!), bring an ID and a cell phone.
2010-06-24 8:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
New York
Things have been "good news, bad news" around here and I am having a sort of involuntary "pre-taper week" before going back to training.

Rode my first 100-miler (on a FLAT course) last week and felt awesome at the end. Not tired, not sore, nothing, could easily have gone for a long run or biked many more miles. But like I say, the course was pancake flat! Felt fine the days after too, no tiredness or soreness. So that's something.

My mother died last week after a very long illness. She was 82 and had a good life, except for the 9-month hospice stay at the end. She died peacefully, never had any pain during her illness, and I was able to say goodbye to her and tell her how much I loved her shortly before she passed.  She lived in Wisconsin, so we went out there for a memorial service; her actual burial will be in the upstate NY town where she was born, and where my dad is buried. So, I'm in the middle of traveling, grieving, and now am fighting a respiratory infection and it has all cut down my training drastically. I hope to get back to it by this weekend and plan to do IMLP in memory of her and my dad.

This will be my last IM for a while--like Witty said, it takes too much time away from other things in life. But, I plan to do half-IMs and Olys, and/or get back to ultrarunning and get into long-distance swimming, and continue biking. 

On a lighter note, I gotta check out that "Are you GAY?" thread that tasr said might be beating us for the title of "Longest BT thread ever." Since I am gay, it should be good for a few laughs! 

2010-06-24 8:18 AM

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Kwin sorry to hear of your loss.

PennState - so I was thinking the same thing to carry one bottle of Infinit on the frame and one bottle on the handle bars but wasn't sure if that would be wise. I would hate to get caught for a long period of time w/o water inbetween aid stations. How often are the water stations on the course?
2010-06-24 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2940675

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
tasr - 2010-06-24 8:15 AM

The plastic water bottles that the course gave out last year were a little loose in my cages.  It is more or less the same hazard in my opinion as ejection bottles.  Water bottles, tires, co2 cartridges and just about everything else people will carry will be littered on the course, ALL hazards. 

In my last race I had to bunny hop over a can of tire sealant while on a descent, which was a little scary considering I was doing over 35 and it was pouring rain. I thought I was going down, thankfully I didn't.
2010-06-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2940764

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
KWin - 2010-06-24 9:02 AM Things have been "good news, bad news" around here and I am having a sort of involuntary "pre-taper week" before going back to training.

Rode my first 100-miler (on a FLAT course) last week and felt awesome at the end. Not tired, not sore, nothing, could easily have gone for a long run or biked many more miles. But like I say, the course was pancake flat! Felt fine the days after too, no tiredness or soreness. So that's something.

My mother died last week after a very long illness. She was 82 and had a good life, except for the 9-month hospice stay at the end. She died peacefully, never had any pain during her illness, and I was able to say goodbye to her and tell her how much I loved her shortly before she passed.  She lived in Wisconsin, so we went out there for a memorial service; her actual burial will be in the upstate NY town where she was born, and where my dad is buried. So, I'm in the middle of traveling, grieving, and now am fighting a respiratory infection and it has all cut down my training drastically. I hope to get back to it by this weekend and plan to do IMLP in memory of her and my dad.

This will be my last IM for a while--like Witty said, it takes too much time away from other things in life. But, I plan to do half-IMs and Olys, and/or get back to ultrarunning and get into long-distance swimming, and continue biking. 

On a lighter note, I gotta check out that "Are you GAY?" thread that tasr said might be beating us for the title of "Longest BT thread ever." Since I am gay, it should be good for a few laughs! 

So sorry for your loss, sending positive thoughts your way...
2010-06-24 8:51 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
KWin - 2010-06-24 9:02 AM Things have been "good news, bad news" around here and I am having a sort of involuntary "pre-taper week" before going back to training.

KWin I am so sorry for your loss.  My prayers are with you.

2010-06-24 9:25 AM

2010-06-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2940798

2010-06-24 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2940664

2010-06-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2941011

Regular
Gettysburg, PA

PennState - 2010-06-24 10:28 AM
Mcluvin22 - 2010-06-24 9:18 AM Kwin sorry to hear of your loss.

PennState - so I was thinking the same thing to carry one bottle of Infinit on the frame and one bottle on the handle bars but wasn't sure if that would be wise. I would hate to get caught for a long period of time w/o water inbetween aid stations. How often are the water stations on the course?
You would be fine with that setup. How many rides do you go on where you get to refuel every 30-60 min? There is more than enough aid stations for even ust one bottle IMHO. I use 2 as I like to use water to dilute out the gatorade/powerbar drink etc.

I'm glad to hear this.  I sometimes use a behind the seat holder on training rides and I have used it in a HIM.  My plan at IMLP is to have one frame bottle and one bottle on the aerobars. Bento box for food. Gel flask. Extra tubbie will be under the seat.  I did have some concerns over having only 2 bottles since I sweat like a beast, but I think I'll be OK with the frequent aid stations.

2010-06-24 10:28 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Fred, I predict you don't sign up for any IMs next year, but you have a stellar 70.3 year, and then realize in the fall that 70.3 fitness isn't that different than 140.6 fitness, and sign up semi-last minute for a race like Chesapeakeman or Beach2Battleship... and based on the speed you've developed all year, and a last minute volume boost for 2 months leading up to the 140.6, you're 1% chance of racing a full course tri comes true, and you break your PR.

I will dig this post up and say I told you so when that's what happens.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-06-24 10:30 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193