BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-02 4:18 AM
in reply to: #1376946

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

GomesBolt - 2008-05-01 10:55 PM  I want to import the Full Marathon plan but I'm at week 25, not week 20 like the plan entails. Traci, you wanna do the same program starting the 8th of June? We can keep each-other on-task up until the MCM. Only thing is that there's about zero time for swimming/riding.

Is this your first marathon? (question also for Traci). I would recommend doing only the hardest 3 runs on the plan each week, and swap out all others for riding and swimming. Just be careful to listen to your body and don't ovetdo it. The swimming can be an excellent recovery workout. The biking you may need to dial back a bit if your legs need the rest.

2008-05-02 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Good Morning.  It's rainy and crappy out today.  Looks like like I will be running in the gym tonight.  I actually left my neighborhood on the bike last night for my first real long bike ride.  I understand how people love riding.  I definitely need to get cycling shorts.  For those Garmin people out there,  do you set it to auto pause when you stop or do keep it running? Just curious because I was easily averaging 15mph, but with stops it said 12ish.  Have a good Friday everyone!
2008-05-02 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1377199

Champion
South Jersey

boston_beginner, you should seriously try raining in the run (so long as you can do it safely at night) -- you might find you love it!!

As for the garmin, I don't have one, but I always put my bike computers at autostop. If you need to stop and go to the bathroom or get held up at a light for longer than planned, it's nice to have those stops in there. My powertap runs for 25 secs after I stop, which is a little annoying, because pretty much each time I stop (for a light or something), it's still going .

Happy Friday, everyone !

2008-05-02 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1377228

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-02 7:58 AM

boston_beginner, you should seriously try raining in the run (so long as you can do it safely at night) -- you might find you love it!!

As for the garmin, I don't have one, but I always put my bike computers at autostop. If you need to stop and go to the bathroom or get held up at a light for longer than planned, it's nice to have those stops in there. My powertap runs for 25 secs after I stop, which is a little annoying, because pretty much each time I stop (for a light or something), it's still going .

Happy Friday, everyone !

The garmins are really nice.  You can basically set a low speed that is counted as rest speed and it will keep track of it.  You will basically end up with 2 results.  A total time and speed and one that doesn't count your stops/too slows.

2008-05-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1377157

User image

Master
Olney, MD
shiggy - 2008-05-02 5:18 AM

GomesBolt - 2008-05-01 10:55 PM  I want to import the Full Marathon plan but I'm at week 25, not week 20 like the plan entails. Traci, you wanna do the same program starting the 8th of June? We can keep each-other on-task up until the MCM. Only thing is that there's about zero time for swimming/riding.

Is this your first marathon? (question also for Traci). I would recommend doing only the hardest 3 runs on the plan each week, and swap out all others for riding and swimming. Just be careful to listen to your body and don't ovetdo it. The swimming can be an excellent recovery workout. The biking you may need to dial back a bit if your legs need the rest.

That's a pretty fierce pig.. yipes!!

Matt --I'm definitely up for starting the plan on June 8th!  I'll be more likely not to skip out on any runs!  Are you going to use the BT plan? 

Claire -- Yeah this will be my first marathon.  Thanks for the recommendation!  I definitely want to keep up with the swimming and biking too so that will work out well

2008-05-02 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Happy Friday! Lot's of good training going on. What's everyone got on tap for the weekend? As for me: new running shoes, Iron Man, (hopefully) long run on Sat, bike ride on Sun followed by Jazzfest!

Oh, and by the way, damn you all for all of this talk about the Garmin! Now I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger on one from REI. If I found one any cheaper, it would definitely be over.

2008-05-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1377558

Champion
South Jersey

Sounds like a great weekend, Jeremy. I hear Iron Man is pretty good .

I have a long run/aquajog tomorrow and long bike on Sun; I might have to flip flop them, though, as it appears Sunday will be a rainy day here .

The good thing is that if I make the decision by tonight and the decision is to ride tomorrow, then I don't have to wake up tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. (I normally have to get up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturdays so I can get in a decent aquajog before the pool gets crowded). It'll be nice to have a Saturday morning without an alarm and a Friday night in which I don't have to rush to get to bed by 9:30 .

2008-05-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1377228

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-02 4:58 AM

Happy Friday, everyone !

Dito on the Auto stop.  I have it set....  However, I forgot to turn it OFF during my race, so when I spent time changing my tire, it stopped running.  So my watch time was wrong when I was trying to determine my finish time (about 9 minutes less)  I had to wait for the official race results to finally realize what I got.  HOWEVER, as clever as I am .  I needed to know sooner, so I had a thought to check our camera.  Tala took a picture of me just about to cross the finish line and you can see the race clock!  It was only two seconds different from my official time....  Clever, huh?!?!?

2008-05-02 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1377558

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jjweav - 2008-05-02 7:15 AM

Happy Friday! Lot's of good training going on. What's everyone got on tap for the weekend? As for me: new running shoes, Iron Man, (hopefully) long run on Sat, bike ride on Sun followed by Jazzfest!

Oh, and by the way, damn you all for all of this talk about the Garmin! Now I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger on one from REI. If I found one any cheaper, it would definitely be over.

Ahh Ironman!  Sounds cool. 

Did I mentioin that Tala was an extra in that movie?  We are going to go and play "Where's Waldo Tala" in the movie....  Hopefully she has enough screen time to see her......

2008-05-02 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1377879

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-05-02 12:05 PM

Did I mentioin that Tala was an extra in that movie?  We are going to go and play "Where's Waldo Tala" in the movie....  Hopefully she has enough screen time to see her......

Cool stuff. Enjoy !

2008-05-02 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Lauren -- I was going to ask you this through the inspire, but this may be more of a group forum question

Do you have The Stick??  Does anyone else have one? What do you guys think of it?  I've been trying to massage my leg muscles with my hands and it's difficult to get the pressure hard enough without wearing my hands out.  I've seen The Stick advertised in running stores.. is it worth it?? 

2008-05-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1378008

Champion
South Jersey

Yes, I have a The Stick and a foam roller. I love each of them. I actually use The Stick before my runs and rides as well.

I recommend both. The Stick is great, and you can use it for almost every issue. For ITB, hip, and outer leg stuff, I find the foam roller to be more effective; for hammie, inside leg, and lower leg, I find The Stick to be much more effective.

I am a big proponent of self-massage and have a few "hands on" techniques I like as well.

2008-05-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1378078

User image

Master
Olney, MD
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-02 1:22 PM

Yes, I have a The Stick and a foam roller. I love each of them. I actually use The Stick before my runs and rides as well.

I recommend both. The Stick is great, and you can use it for almost every issue. For ITB, hip, and outer leg stuff, I find the foam roller to be more effective; for hammie, inside leg, and lower leg, I find The Stick to be much more effective.

I am a big proponent of self-massage and have a few "hands on" techniques I like as well.

Thanks for the input   I didn't realize there were so many different sticks to choose from!!  I'm checking out their website now

2008-05-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1378350

Champion
South Jersey

I know! I've used a few different ones. I have the one with the yellow handle, which isn't the "stiffest" one. I've used the grey one a lot (I think grey, now I totally forget), which is stiffer than the yellow one, but to me, it seems the same.

It's also really good for the bottoms of your feet. Stand on the handle with one foot and roll your other foot over it (put your body weight into it). Healthy feet make for healthy plantar fascia, posterior tibilas, achilles, etc....

2008-05-02 2:04 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Aikidoman - 2008-05-02 9:05 AM

That's so COOL!!!  Have fun trying to find her!  My Grandma was an extra in one of the Jaws movies.  It was either 2 or 3.  She said it was fun.

2008-05-02 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1378417

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm out - have a GREAT weekend all.

Train Hard and Healthy!

2008-05-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1378350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
vball03umd - 2008-05-02 2:39 PM
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-02 1:22 PM

Thanks for the input   I didn't realize there were so many different sticks to choose from!!  I'm checking out their website now

A good friend of mine just uses a regular rolling pin and it works great for her. If you have one in the house you could try it before getting the real type. (and then you could bake some cookies)

2008-05-02 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Aikidoman - 2008-05-02 11:05 AM

Just got back, that movie was AWESOME! Great action scenes, and Robery Downey Jr. did fantastic. I give it two big fat thumbs up! I did notice where a few scenes were filmed in Vegas. Hopefully you guys are able to find your wife in there.

2008-05-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1377128

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
owl_girl - 2008-05-02 1:52 AM

I understand the carbon footprint thing, too!  I studied spotted owls for several years.  I can't even begin to explain how much paper I went through while capturing, surveying, and printing up maps!  I'm sure I was personally responsible for eliminating critical habitat!

Seriously though, I went through a few reams of paper doing this presentation. Granted, when the windfarm goes-up, it will displace waaaay more CO2 than that, but the cost alone should be enough not to print everything out every time. But that said, I love my job.

Alright enough of that. The people at work threw a surprise Baby Shower for my wife today. Actually it was a surprise to me. She knew all about it. Sneaky Sneaky. It was really nice of them. We got some good stuff too.
2008-05-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1377384

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
vball03umd - 2008-05-02 9:19 AM

That's a pretty fierce pig.. yipes!!

Matt --I'm definitely up for starting the plan on June 8th!  I'll be more likely not to skip out on any runs!  Are you going to use the BT plan? 

Claire -- Yeah this will be my first marathon.  Thanks for the recommendation!  I definitely want to keep up with the swimming and biking too so that will work out well

Then it's a deal, Traci, June 8th, we'll kick off the Marathon training plan.

Claire, that is really good advice. I was looking at the Training Plan thinking "how can I keep from swimming and riding" but that makes sense.

I definitely want to do well. I don't just want to finish, I want to finish in "good" time and be able to chew solid food at the after-party. And then I want to be able to get on a training plan for a race in December/January. No offseason in FL remember?

Not sure what I want to do tomorrow. Laura, if you're still on, can you check my log and give me a recommendation?
2008-05-03 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Traci and Matt,

I don't want to change your plan if you already have one, but I just wanted to point out that there is a very good marathon training plan out there with 3 days/week run + crosstraining that many people have used to do very well in a marathon:

http://www.furman.edu/first/2006%20marathon%20training-first%20marathon.pdf

If you guys get Runners World there was a write up on Lance's training plan for Boston marathon in the issue last month and it looked somewhat like the aboveSmile

2008-05-03 5:42 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Good Morning.  It's still rainy and crappy out today, but I am going to swim and bike the course of my race next week.  I am meeting up with some BTers.  Testing out the new wetsuit.   I went to the store yesterday and got Body Glide, two caps, and some ear plugs.  I will let you know how it went when I back, assuming I can still feel my fingers.
2008-05-03 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

One other link for this morning, this one is for dlswimmer because you are in OH and looking for races (although this is not a race):

http://www.active.com/images/newsletters/americanCancerSociety/active_email.html

2008-05-03 10:57 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

Hey all, bad couple days for training because of the weather.  I am still hoping that it clears up a little so I can get out on my bike and maybe go for a run today.

Wish me luck on my sprint tri tomorrow! :-)

2008-05-03 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1379642

Champion
South Jersey

dlswimmer - GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, we'll all be cheering you on!!!!!

boston_beginner - I hope you have a great time today. Let us know how the training went .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66