BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-01-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1906592

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
Offthegrid - 2009-01-14 2:22 PM
paul walker - 2009-01-14 5:17 AM

Okay just to prove it I'm male and perhaps not so sensitive LOL - read on.

We got the big vacation booked. Silver wedding Dec 31st 09. So off the San Fran then Vegas to have Elvis marry us again. (Actually is it legal to marry twice without divorce? Isn't that bigamy? to the same person? Mmmmmmm. Better get blessed or something, any way, I digress) Then off to Kona for a week.

Anyway we just got it all booked a few days ago and we are both excited and in a 'nice' moment. (we do get those sometimes when kids aren't pestering dad) My wonderful lady asks if I have been thinking about the vacation.

'Of course Honey, been thinking of little else.'

'Tell me what you've been thinking sexy.'

'Well, I found out the apartment is only 2 miles from the IM start and I thought I could do the the swim to half way.' She's looking puzzled here. 'And the nearest bike shop is only 800 yards from the pier and they hire tri bikes. I thought I would hire one for the week, get in some warm weather training and maybe go half way to Hawi'i and back.'

At this point a pillow hits me with some impressive force and 'fortunately' we get to giggling and wrestling on the bed.

Close shave I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'd better schedule some walks along the beach to.

Two words: You suck.

LOL yeah my wife keeps telling me to do that... hehehe. Thanks for the confirmation though. And I thought I was so empathetic! Sealed

2009-01-14 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1906631

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats Susie on your weight loss. That's awesome.

And, Paul -- nice vacation plans. When is it?

Scott -- Just was watching the news about the weather and temps and OMG! -- hop a plane out here!  You can get your bike.

2009-01-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1906787

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

lmscozz - 2009-01-14 3:43 PM

And, Paul -- nice vacation plans. When is it?

Should be in Kona 26th Dec to 2nd Jan

2009-01-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1906590

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-01-14 6:22 AM

oh, almost forgot. I lost 3.5 pounds this week. So now I have only 5 pounds to go to get to my pre-injury low weight from October and 10.5 pounds from my lowest weight ever.

That's great!
2009-01-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1906352

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
paul walker - 2009-01-14 2:17 AM

We got the big vacation booked. Silver wedding Dec 31st 09. So off the San Fran then Vegas to have Elvis marry us again. (Actually is it legal to marry twice without divorce? Isn't that bigamy? to the same person?

Hey, don't you live in Scotland...the "Vegas of the UK" for quickie weddings? Heck, my wife and I were considering getting married in Ireland, but it was just so much easier to elope to Scotland. (Well, okay, it was that and that we met at a Highland Games...)

(For those of you not familiar with British marriage laws and customs, look up "Gretna Green" in Wikipedia...)
2009-01-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Excellent news on the weight loss and the swimming, Suzie.  Very cool. 

2009-01-14 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1906923

User image

Veteran

wasn't that a couple of weeks ago?  Or is Scotland a year behind the US Wink

I found your post re the vaca hysterical; but then I'm at work and most things non-work related strike me that way LOL - have a great day!

2009-01-14 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1906946

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
tcovert - 2009-01-14 4:36 PM
paul walker - 2009-01-14 2:17 AM

We got the big vacation booked. Silver wedding Dec 31st 09. So off the San Fran then Vegas to have Elvis marry us again. (Actually is it legal to marry twice without divorce? Isn't that bigamy? to the same person?

Hey, don't you live in Scotland...the "Vegas of the UK" for quickie weddings? Heck, my wife and I were considering getting married in Ireland, but it was just so much easier to elope to Scotland. (Well, okay, it was that and that we met at a Highland Games...) (For those of you not familiar with British marriage laws and customs, look up "Gretna Green" in Wikipedia...)

Mmmmm let me think a mo... (Gretna or Vagas and Kona, Gretna or Vagas and Kona.............................................) Oh heck I can't decide folks. Should I just go to Gretna instead? LOL. I'm guessing for you USA folk Gretna for me is like going to Vagas. Never thought Gretna as being glamourous for other folk. LOL. Actually maybe not quite Vagas but you know what I mean I hope. I lost the thread a while ago.

2009-01-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1906978

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
oshunluvah - 2009-01-14 4:46 PM

wasn't that a couple of weeks ago?  Or is Scotland a year behind the US Wink

I found your post re the vaca hysterical; but then I'm at work and most things non-work related strike me that way LOL - have a great day!

NO...... silly. 26th Dec 2009 to 2nd Jan 2010

(edit : oops forgot to do in sarcasm font.. doh)

Edited by paul walker 2009-01-14 10:50 AM
2009-01-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1906436

User image

Veteran

Scott, snow shoveling definitely counts as strength training.  I incorporate it into my weekly plan at least 1x/wk if not more. 

I used to hate it until I realized that it was conditioning without a plan...

rock on

2009-01-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1906997

User image

Veteran
hence the wink, my friend Wink

2009-01-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1907004

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

oshunluvah - 2009-01-14 4:50 PM hence the wink, my friend Wink

Damn and I thought you were getting fresh. That wink is too sexy. Oh well back to online dating. Wink

2009-01-14 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha all

One of my goals this week is to put to paper a nutrition plan to use as a daily template so here it is. I'd be interested in any comments or fed back you folk may have. Keep in mind I am using this as a skeleton to plan my days the foodstuffs will change a bit each day but within this structure. Damn I can be eating 9 times a day! where will I get the time? LOL. Good job I like yogurt and cottage cheese. Laughing

Sample Daily Nutrition Plan
Breakfast #1 (pre training)
*If training lasts less than an hour, keep snack less than 100 calories
1 slice low calorie toast or 1 rice cake w/ ½ banana
Glass of Green Juice
Breakfast #2 (after training)
*If continuous training session lasts more than an hour
Glass of skim/soy milk or 1 scoop protein powder and water
-then eat breakfast #3
Breakfast #2 (after training)
*If  training session lasts less than an hour

Glass of water
-then eat breakfast #3
Breakfast #3 (after training or no morning training)
Tabs - multi vit, B12 & Veggie fish oil

1/2 cup oatmeal (or one packet of your prepackaged oatmeal)
1/2 cup soya milk
Fruit
8 oz water
Or
½ cup oatmeal
40 calorie Lit n’ Fit yogurt
½ cup berries
8 oz. water

Snack
1 cup plain low-fat/low sugar yogurt (less than 80 calories) or
Piece of fruit, berries or small ripe banana and 3 walnuts and 3 almonds
Glass of water
Lunch
2 slices whole wheat bread (each piece around 80 calories or less) or open face sub (150 calories for bread)
1 veggie burger
1 slice low-fat cheese slice (60 calories or less)
Unlimited toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, etc.)
Fruit
8 oz water

Snack (#1)
½ cup Fat-free cottage cheese w/ small handful nuts
or
Apple
Water

Snack (#2)
*If training in the evening and lasts around an hour, keep snack around 150 calories

½ cup Fat-free cottage cheese w/ ½ pear (sliced)
or
1 slice low calorie toast (60-80 calories) w/ sugar-free jelly or
1 rice cake w/ ½ banana and small pinch of sliced almonds (or 3 whole almonds)
Water

Snack (#3) after training
*If training session lasts more than an hour
Glass of skim/soy milk or 1 scoop protein powder and water
or
80 calorie (or less) yogurt
-then eat dinner

Dinner
1 cup whole wheat pasta and small baguette or piece of toast
½ cup marinara sauce (heated)
1 cup steamed/raw broccoli, carrots, peas or corn – can be tossed with pasta
8 oz water
or
Flat bread/pita bread with tomato sauce and lots of veggies (make your own pizza)
Or
Whole wheat pita with veggie meat. Make your own healthy tacos w/ lots of veggies!

Evening Snack
Tea/decaf flavored coffee
60 calorie yogurt
½ cup sorbet or low fat ice cream (use small bowl or small coffee cup)
1 cup frozen grapes (freeze fruits ahead of time for a refreshing treat)
100 calorie snack packs/bars
1 flavored rice cake (apple cinnamon, chocolate, peanut butter, caramel, white cheddar, etc.)

2009-01-14 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Paul, more veggies.

Edited by Offthegrid 2009-01-14 12:38 PM
2009-01-14 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Just back from my first ever Weight Watchers meeting. I'm surrounding myself with support to try to get below 190 pounds, which I've never done.

Not sure how on earth I'll ever eat all the points they give me, though. I eat a ton of veggies a day, and each of them count as 0 points! I'm not going to start downing junk food or salad dressings to hit my point total - especially if I'm getting a billion activity points, too. More fruit juice is about all I can figure at this point. Or maybe yams.

Is it true they yell at you if you lose more than 2 pounds a week? Hmm ...
2009-01-14 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

I know that Weight Watchers heavily encourages a gradual loss. The reasoning behind this is that for most of the people who go there, to lose more than 2 pounds a week means you are not getting the calories you need o a daily basis. My mother used weight watchers most of the time and from what she said, most people aren't the heavy exercise type and are lucky is they walk a few times a week. If you are losing more than 2 pounds a week without a good exercise routine, you are basically starving yourself and you can't sustain weight loss like that. As someone who is on a training plan, it is entirely possible for you to lose more than 2 pounds in a week and still be healthy. I'm not sure what their reaction would be to that though.

On a personal note, I have finally picked a goal for this season. I am going to be running a half marathon on May 2. I am following the Galloway half marathon plan. So far I really like the structrured run walk intervals. I also have been dropping some serious weight. I am down 8.5 pounds since new years. I am taking in at least 1800 calories a day so i am assuming a lot of that is water weight, but I am almost back to the point I was at in September when I fell off the wagon. I am now down about 25 pounds from last summer and I have about another 25 to go.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2009-01-14 12:48 PM

2009-01-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1907269

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-01-14 10:38 AM

Just back from my first ever Weight Watchers meeting. I'm surrounding myself with support to try to get below 190 pounds, which I've never done.

Not sure how on earth I'll ever eat all the points they give me, though. I eat a ton of veggies a day, and each of them count as 0 points! I'm not going to start downing junk food or salad dressings to hit my point total - especially if I'm getting a billion activity points, too. More fruit juice is about all I can figure at this point. Or maybe yams.

Is it true they yell at you if you lose more than 2 pounds a week? Hmm ...

FWIW, my wife averaged more than 2 lbs a week (about 2.6)--with no significant exercise--on WW and I don't think they got on her case about that. In my personal opinion, she was doing a bit of starving (in the sense of not consuming enough nutritious calories to get to her points total), but she got through it okay and has not gotten more than about 5-6 lbs above her goal weight in the 3 1/2 years since then. (Of course, she's also started doing tri's since then, which has allowed her to take in more calories then she was during active weight loss on WW.)

Try to get your points in...I know they give you some discretionary points on a weekly basis...you don't have to use those just because they are there. But as your training volume gradually increases, it'll show up in activity points and it'll be healthiest if you stay at your weekly point total, because that implies that you've sufficiently fueled yourself given your activity level.

Congrats on starting WW...I haven't done it myself, but am really familiar with it and think it is a terrific program...esp. the support of the meetings.

Edited by tcovert 2009-01-14 1:08 PM
2009-01-14 1:21 PM

User image

Master
<-- definitely not starving. My calories are 1,800-2,100/day and I'm not doing any really long workouts at this point. My problem is, from what I've glanced at in the booklet, the veggies pretty much all count as zero. I eat veggies with every meal.

But maybe I'm looking for an excuse not to do Weight Watchers. I will try it and see how it goes. I forgot about nuts; they are 4 points per tiny serving, so I could add points there.

I did notice drinking a 20 oz. Pepsi would cost me about 5 points. (But I don't plan to start drinking them again to get in extra points.)
2009-01-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1907269

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Offthegrid - 2009-01-14 10:38 AM Just back from my first ever Weight Watchers meeting. I'm surrounding myself with support to try to get below 190 pounds, which I've never done. Not sure how on earth I'll ever eat all the points they give me, though. I eat a ton of veggies a day, and each of them count as 0 points! I'm not going to start downing junk food or salad dressings to hit my point total - especially if I'm getting a billion activity points, too. More fruit juice is about all I can figure at this point. Or maybe yams. Is it true they yell at you if you lose more than 2 pounds a week? Hmm ...

I did the WW thing for a while and I know that one of the reasons that they encourage slow weight loss is that fast weight loss can lead to problems like gallstones! You don't want that. I just thought the arbitrary number of "2" pounds. There were people there that were 150 pounds and I (at the time) was about 290. 2 pounds represented a lower percentage of body weight for me than for them. Oh well! I was never too good at losing the 2 a week anyway. I averaged more like 1 pound.

As far as points, I had found that training nutrition killed a lot of points. Those gels and drinks add up QUICKLY when you use them to train. Luckily training added extra points.

Good luck with the weight loss!

2009-01-14 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I, too lost weight with WW. The up to 2 lbs. per week is for health reasons. When someone weighs more to start it's okay to lose a bit more. According to WW it's okay to lose up to 1% of your body weight per week for most people that turns out to be between 1/2 to 2 lbs. The first few weeks we see people lose more and the young, males with the most to lose seem to lose the quickest. I work for WW part time, but by no means think it is the only way to lose weight. It's just something that's worked for me. And I can share what I've learned.

As far as points, Susie, the points are based on your weight, height, age, etc as you know from taking the points quiz. The points are also a certain amount of calories, a range of about 200 or so for each points target number. It's just easier to count smaller numbers, ie: points rather than calories and as you know the points take into consideration the fiber and fat as well as calories. As far as being able to eat them all -- by the time you get in all your good health guidelines and count the points for them, you'll probably be able to get your points in. The protein you eat is about 3 points per 3 oz., but be sure to check the points values. Starchy veggies, potatoes, yams, corn, and some squashes do have a few points. The oils recommended will have points as will the milk products.  I've noticed when I and the members I interact with begin to track EVERYTHING they eat and drink it's really not an issue of getting in the points. I think the biggest mistake I see people making is trying to change everything all at once. I see people deprive themselves and try to be "perfect" and then when they can't maintain that perfection they fall off. It's a lifestyle change and those kind of changes happen slowly over time, just like how the weight came on. I just had a member get her lifetime this week who lost 90 pounds. It took her 5 years, but she stuck with it and she will most likely keep it off for life because she incorporated the habits needed to sustain weight loss.

Like my mom used to say though -- Everything in moderation. 

On another note, I really bonked on that run I did Sunday. I ran 12 miles at a faster pace than I am used to. I think I got a bit dehydrated. I didn't feel like drinking but when liquid was put in front of me, I slurped it all down. I also was just light-headed and couldn't seem to bring a full mental focus. Is that bonking? Maybe I needed to hydrate better and eat more carbs the couple of days before a harder workout? When I went to swim last night, I felt like my heart would jump out of my chest and when I had to use my legs and kick I really thought I might have to stop swimming. I've never felt that way. Could that have been from the heavy run on Sunday?? That's all I could figure. I went and had blood drawn today to see if I'm still anemic. I have to take prescription iron because I've had extremely low ferretin levels. Any advice/opinions would be welcome.  Thanks.

2009-01-14 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1908655

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great explanation on WW points, Lynn...thanks so much!

As far as bonking: I'm not sure there's any one set of reactions that everyone is referring to when they say they "bonked"...my understanding, though, is that the most frequent reference is to crashing due to lack of fuel, more often than to dehydrating. I found when I bonked in my first marathon that it was a shutting down of muscle and joint function...lower back was in knots, couldn't lift my legs to do more than shuffle. Ultimately, my body just refused to run anymore...my brain said "shuffle", legs said "no." On long training runs where I don't take in any nutrition, I do find that my pace begins to fall off. Apparently, this hypoglycemia can lead to not just a muscular shutdown, but also dizziness, so maybe you bonked.

When I've pushed long runs without hydrating, I have once in awhile gotten the sort of reaction you're describing...I've assumed that was the beginnings of mild dehydration. The lack of a desire to drink has been more evident when the weather has been cooler...when I've thought I was getting dehydrated in hot weather, I do feel the need to drink. I've read that dehydration can lead to rapid heart rate, so maybe that's what was going on.

2009-01-15 12:27 AM
in reply to: #1908787

User image

Master
Vista, CA

tcovert - 2009-01-14 9:19 PM  .I've assumed that was the beginnings of mild dehydration. The lack of a desire to drink has been more evident when the weather has been cooler...when I've thought I was getting dehydrated in hot weather, I do feel the need to drink. I've read that dehydration can lead to rapid heart rate, so maybe that's what was going on.

Thanks, Todd. I do think that's what happened. Hopefully a lesson learned!

2009-01-15 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Interesting story here on how to avoid compulsive eating;

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-21-18378-1,00.html

Thanks for the information on bonking.  I've ridden 24,000 miles on a bike since 2005, up to 135 miles at a time and never bonked.  I eat something every half hour on long rides and drink BEFORE I'm thirsty.   Running, well I never feel great whenever I run yet.  Still trying to get it together there I guess. Not running far enough yet to worry too much about nutrition during the run.  On long runs though I know enough from biking not to skip grabbing something at rest stops.  

One suggestion I use from Terri Schneider's book the Triathlon Revolution, which I highly recommend, is constant positive reinforcement.  Say after me, "I am a strong runner." Also, she suggests repeating words like "patience" to help hold my pace in the endurance zones and not slip up into the anaerobic trying to get a personal best. 

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-15 10:47 AM
2009-01-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1908655

User image

Master
first, question for Todd and the group: You all can't see my nutrition log, can you? I mean, you can see total calories, fat, protein, etc., but you can't see actually *what* I ate, right? I sometimes wish I could view that of others.

lmscozz - 2009-01-14 10:38 PM

As far as being able to eat them all -- by the time you get in all your good health guidelines and count the points for them, you'll probably be able to get your points in.

Actually without counting my veggies as 0.5 point per meal, and adding 1/2 an avocado, walnuts AND almonds, I wouldn't even come close. And I had 8 ounces of orange juice! And I *still* have 1 point left for the day (not including activity point). I eat lots of veggies, fruit and protein, and very little "starchy" foods because of my food intolerances. (I will begin to eat more yams and gels and such as I up the training when it gets warm out, though.)

I generally hit The Zones's 40-30-30 ranges.

I know I'm whining an awful lot. Sorry! I just don't know if the points system was designed for someone with my food intolerances. The way I eat is totally not mainstream. But it has done wonders for me. My skin has cleared up, I'm not having digestive troubles for the first time in years, I have more energy, I'm no longer depressed for no reason and I'm not getting the colds everyone around me has. And I'm stuffed all the time with healthy food.

Even now I'm sitting here looking at my half-eaten lunch just competely stuffed. It's just so much food.

I will try it and see. If I gain weight, I'll just reduce the points a tad.

Edited by Offthegrid 2009-01-15 11:40 AM
2009-01-15 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1909722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

You aren't whining.  You're learning by asking questions like the rest of us.  Keep it up! 

My experience with WW has been all positive.  Yes, it seems like you can never get all the food into your mouth.  But, it's important to try to stay as close to the points you are allotted as you can.  The program's goal is to give you enough fuel to keep your body meeting the demands you are putting out it and keep the calorie-burning machine in good order while cutting intake enough to bring about a gradual, healthy weight loss that reflects more than a diet, more a change in lifestyle.   

Our bodies can slide into a starvation mode where the doggone thing is convinced you are trying to kill it so it holds onto and stores every calorie it can.    From what I've read, it dates back to the cave when we would be sedentary and food was scarce in winter.  If we didn't get enough to eat, the metabolism slowed so it burned less.  We can bring that on by accident by trying to cut calories too far. I know I was exercising like crazy in 2007 but the rate of weight loss declined because 1. I wasn't eating enough to support the activity, and 2) my body adjusted and became used to the amount of exercise I was doing.  So, I had to eat more (I went back on WW to get my portions right and support my wife's entry into WW) and I started to cross train to shake my body out of it's rut.  It worked.  I dropped from a 40 inch waist to a 36 fast.  Rate is slower now because I have less to lose but it is still dropping.

Everybody is a bit different.  What I've found is that if you ask the right people enough, you'll get the direction you need to adapt things to your situation.  Stay positive.  All is well.       

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-15 2:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45